shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your turquoise stories and turquoise jewellery

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love the sparkles of facets gems but I'm also enchanted by the colour and the richness of opaque stones like turquoise and coral. I've been browsing American Indian jewelry websites a lot lately, and there're some beautiful pieces, some are quite pricey, with many turquoise being reconstituted stones I have only bought a less expensive piece that I like the design of for everyday wear.

For those that collects turquoise, could you please share your lovely turquoise pieces and any stories behind them? I would love to learn more about this gorgeous stone.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Re: Please share your turquoise stories and turquoise jewell

I have one piece of turquoise jewelry. It's a large cab (about 3" long) of undyed, stabilized turquoise from the Sleeping Beauty mine in Arizona. I got the rough as a nodule, which I slabbed, cabbed and set. I still have a couple small pieces left off the nodule, which I'm thinking about turning into earrings to go with my necklace. I'm dying to get some more, although it's quite pricey. It's just the perfect robins egg blue!

Sorry for the crappy pictures...not my strong suit. :oops:

Turquoise.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Nicki said:
I have one piece of turquoise jewelry. It's a large cab (about 3" long) of undyed, stabilized turquoise from the Sleeping Beauty mine in Arizona. I got the rough as a nodule, which I slabbed, cabbed and set. I still have a couple small pieces left off the nodule, which I'm thinking about turning into earrings to go with my necklace. I'm dying to get some more, although it's quite pricey. It's just the perfect robins egg blue!

Sorry for the crappy pictures...not my strong suit. :oops:

Nicki it's a gorgeous pendant, must have given you a lot of satisfaction to create something from scratch. Are you a hobbyist or is it the first time you cabbed a stone?

Nicki

Shiny_Rock

Lovinggems said:
Nicki it's a gorgeous pendant, must have given you a lot of satisfaction to create something from scratch. Are you a hobbyist or is it the first time you cabbed a stone?

Thanks for the compliment! I do love that piece...it's quite dramatic because of it's size.

I'm a hobbyist. I've been cabbing for a few years now...rocks are my stress reliever. :razz:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Nicki said:
Lovinggems said:

Thanks for the compliment! I do love that piece...it's quite dramatic because of it's size.

I'm a hobbyist. I've been cabbing for a few years now...rocks are my stress reliever. :razz:

I reread your post and indeed the cab is large, it looks to be a delicate piece in the photo. What a wonderful hobby!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock

Here is the "good stuff" from John Foutz :love: After several trips to his store, he opened the vault and showed me this 50 year old Ithaca Peak turquoise. It is extremely beautiful. I bought every strand he had. A quick search showed me one necklace, smaller than mine, priced at 12,000.00. I have only worn the set a few times since then :tongue: I called the jewelry designer who made the necklace and she purchased her turquosie from John too lol! Small world in the turquoise business, the same as in fine gems.

post139292.html?hilit=ithaca peak turquoise#p139292

Clasp, wire, accents 14k gold, wood accent beads. Made by yours truly :D

myithacaset123.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, that is a gorgeous set of turquoise! I also love it but cannot afford what I want...the type like that from the Sleeping Beauty mine.

My family did go looking for turquoise out in the desert a couple of times when I was a kid. We found very chalky malachite, but no turquoise.

Laura

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

soberguy said:
Here is the "good stuff" from John Foutz :love: After several trips to his store, he opened the vault and showed me this 50 year old Ithaca Peak turquoise. It is extremely beautiful. I bought every strand he had. A quick search showed me one necklace, smaller than mine, priced at 12,000.00. I have only worn the set a few times since then :tongue: I called the jewelry designer who made the necklace and she purchased her turquosie from John too lol! Small world in the turquoise business, the same as in fine gems.

post139292.html?hilit=ithaca peak turquoise#p139292

Clasp, wire, accents 14k gold, wood accent beads. Made by yours truly :D

Soberguy thanks for showing your gorgeous set again and sharing your story, the turquoise is definitely more blue than the small photo in your avatar.
I looked up Ithaca Peak turquoise, not many specimens but the websites mentioned they're pretty rare. It's beautiful work. :appl:

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock

I have a few pieces of Turquoise. I bought them in my past trip to Egypt. It was love at first sight :love:

Here are the pics.

turquoisegaby1.jpg

turquoisegaby2.jpg

turquoisegaby3.jpg

Turquoisegaby4.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

gaby06 said:
I have a few pieces of Turquoise. I bought them in my past trip to Egypt. It was love at first sight :love:

Here are the pics.

gaby06 what a gorgeous set, do you know what type of turquoise are they? They suit you very well, you look smashing in those colours. :appl:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Are yours the variety known as Persian Turquoise? Lovely pieces.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Gosh, I LOVE turquoise ~~~ my first love, really...
I have a few pieces, but
I WISH I still had the gorgeous piece of AZ set in GOLD that
I was given by an ex-boyfriend....
I gave it back when "things didn't work out"
AAAAAAUUURRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still occasionally think about it! ;(

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock

Lovely examples everyone.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I bought this piece, it's stabilized kingman turquoise. I love the shape of the beads and the design.

snk-jjg045_0044986.jpg

Nicki

Shiny_Rock

Ooh, I like that a lot, Lovinggems!!! :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

that piece is so "me", Loving! i call for right of first refusal if you should ever decide to divest yourself of it!

MoZo

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie said:
that piece is so "me", Loving! i call for right of first refusal if you should ever decide to divest yourself of it!

MoZo

MZ there're several strands in various lengths at chacodog.com. :Up_to_something:

Thank you Nicki !

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock

Lovinggems said:
gaby06 said:

Here are the pics.

gaby06 what a gorgeous set, do you know what type of turquoise are they? They suit you very well, you look smashing in those colours. :appl:

Thank you for the complements. I don't know about what type of turquoise are, It was actually an inspected buy. I just saw them and fall in love with them, but I did not do my homework :read: before buying them ::)

eta. Thanks every body for the complements. I really appreciate them :D

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

Here's my daughter's turquoise ring:
file.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

file.jpg

Stats from Barry: TQ-6030 Sleeping Beauty Turquoise(J) 4.79ct. 14x11 triangular cabochon[Gec]This natural Sleeping Beauty cab was fashioned by Joel Baskin and shows why this is a sought after gemstone. From the Globe, AZ area. JB

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

thanks for the website!

MoZo

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Great thread!
I love turquoise. Especially with high karat gold. Here is a 15mm cushion in 22k.

TurquoiseRing32.jpg

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

gaby06 said:

Here are the pics.

It's lovely on you. :))

Great pieces everyone!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

loving that high karat gold with the turquoise, coati!

MoZo

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie said:
loving that high karat gold with the turquoise, coati!

MoZo

Ohhhhhh, Me Toooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I have several pieces of hand made - silver and turquoise jewelry, some that I bought and some that were my moms that I now have. The prettiest piece is a necklace with matching spider-web type stones, but my sister has that one. They were all purchased back in the 70's from a friend whose brother lived in New Mexico and bought the pieces directly from an Indian reservation. His sister (my friend) sold them at fairs, etc. Here is a sampling. They are all in need of a proper cleaning, but I messed up the one that I cleaned years ago (second from right in picture of four rings) by accidently removing the "antiquing" from the silver, so I haven't attempted it again. These have all been stored for ages. My mom used to wear hers often, but I stopped wearing mine years ago.

turquoise 002.jpg

turquoise 003.jpg

turquoise 004.jpg

turquoise 005.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Lovely gift brandy, I think the daughters of coloured stones mums are real lucky girls.

Coati I love the high karat gold with your turquoise, do you know what type of turquoise is it?

Colorluvr beautiful collection, I love the different shades of your stones and the handmade designs.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Turquoise is something I don't really pay attention to because it is EVERYWHERE here in NM.

Having said that, my dad used to buy my mom a TON of turquoise jewelry (didn't get her her first diamond until their 27th anniversary though) so I have a bunch of it around here in a box. Some of the stuff is very expensive, but I know absolutely nothing about it besides that it is from NM, likely from a reservation, and most of it is from the 70s and 80s. She used to have a gorgeous brown leather purse that was encrusted in turquoise and silver, but I don't know what happened to it. I'll try to take some pictures sometime soon.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, I took pics of most of it...Here are 4 bracelet/cuffs.

IMG_9841 freke.jpg

IMG_9845 freke.jpg

IMG_9848 freke.jpg

IMG_9854 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok...more.

IMG_9855 freke.jpg

IMG_9861 freke.jpg

IMG_9862 freke.jpg

IMG_9868 freke.jpg