shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics! Red WildFish Spinel, American Set setting

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Alright, here are pics as promised of the red spinel ring from my recent thread.

The spinel: 1.33 cts from WildFish, red natural/untreated, OM/C (native cut), 6.8X7.35X3.44, a "roval" type shape

The setting: 14K White Gold trellis from American Set (Ebay store), size 6.25, I ordered this unplated but I am not sure if it actually is so if not I will just let the rhodium wear away, as I don't like to dip all the time, and have it polished then (it looks awfully white to me, I am wondering if they forgot to leave it unplated). One small mark/chip on shank from setting work; will have this buffed out tomorrow as work is under warranty.

Setting work done by the colored stones benchperson at our local Jared's.

This board has been really helpful in steering me in the right direction for finding the stone and setting! Thanks everyone! The hand shot is darker than the stone actually is; pics in box are more accurate. It looks larger on my hand now that it's set than I thought it would--I think this is the biggest I would ever go.

redspinelsmall.jpg

redspinelprofile.jpg

redspinelbox.jpg

redspinelhandshot.jpg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
And the last one. Would only let me put 4 in the post. The one labeled "box" is probably the closest to it's actual IRL color.

redspinel5.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks nice, but is there any way of getting close up shots, or making the pictures bigger?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks GREAT kitten!!! Good choice in setting and the stone is AWESOME! So glad you were able to get it set and on your hand ASAP! Yippee :appl:

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Love the simple setting. It looks BIG on your hand. Great job. :tongue:

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I will try to upload bigger pics this week. I didn't realize how truly small they were going to be when I was shrinking them in the editing program. Sorry!

Thank you everyone! It does look big-- I don't have anything that size and don't think I'd ever really go larger. The stone alone looked kind of small, but once it's in the setting, it really looks bigger. I'm glad others like the simple setting. I thought about sidestones, since red stones look so good with diamond sides, but I have always loved solitaires, and in the end, I decided that I wanted to go solitaire yet again, because I love when the stone is the center of attention.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitten35|1332725824|3156341 said:
I will try to upload bigger pics this week. I didn't realize how truly small they were going to be when I was shrinking them in the editing program. Sorry!

Thank you everyone! It does look big-- I don't have anything that size and don't think I'd ever really go larger. The stone alone looked kind of small, but once it's in the setting, it really looks bigger. I'm glad others like the simple setting. I thought about sidestones, since red stones look so good with diamond sides, but I have always loved solitaires, and in the end, I decided that I wanted to go solitaire yet again, because I love when the stone is the center of attention.

Very lovely! I love that you chose the solitarie setting and if you wanted to add some diamonds for bling appeal then a diamond band could be added. I am looking forward to bigger pics as well. :)

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! @LisaRN, it is not an ering, sorry I should have been more clear. I just have it on my LH in the pic because I am right handed and needed to hold the camera with my right hand, and don't have a tripod for my P&S. IT is a RHR, so it won't be paired with any bands. Though I did try it as a LH ring with my anniversary band and it looks pretty.

I am working on the larger pics. I took some this morning but now they seem to be too big. Must find the happy medium.

The pics will show some of the different colors it can be. IT tends at times to be more red, and at others to show a hint of darker colors.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Alright, that's the only one it is letting me upload right now, but it gives a good idea!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new purchase, it looks lovely. And the ring is elegant.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
I love the most recent picture- it really shows off the beautiful red color! I agree it looks great on your finger- it is certainly something to be noticed and admired. Love it!!!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Does anyone know, also, how to clean spinel? Is it ok to use one of those Connisseurs delicate jewelry cleaners if it is the brush kind (not the ultrasonic type, the manual "toothbrush" kind that comes with the little brush and the dip tray?)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitten35|1332816329|3157043 said:
Thanks! Does anyone know, also, how to clean spinel? Is it ok to use one of those Connisseurs delicate jewelry cleaners if it is the brush kind (not the ultrasonic type, the manual "toothbrush" kind that comes with the little brush and the dip tray?)

I use a little dishsoap and a soft toothbrush, and I rinse with hot water.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Kitten, that ring really did come out stunning. Love the red. I use a little dishsoap on a very soft bristled tooth brush and then rinse in VERY hot water just like TL. The hot water dissolves and washes any grease and hand lotion. No need to buy anything special. This works on all stones, except I just wipe emeralds and pearls with a soft cloth only.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! So, boiling water, even, is ok? or best to keep it not boiling?

I was just asking about the connisseurs because I own some already, but it sounds like dishsoap might be better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to keep things simple and easy, I use hot tap water. This makes it easier for cleaning other gemstone types as well.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few more. Sorry for the delay. I have been wearing almost daily, and really like it!

redspinellarger4f.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice - love the color - yum!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just add a point about cleaning? Hot water is fine for Spinel but I most definitely WOULD NOT clean other stones with hot water. Room temperature or maybe slightly warmer is okay. There are some gemstones that do not like sudden temperature changes and can crack. Ok, it's unusual but why risk it?!

Pretty ring and it's great to see a solitaire. We're so used to seeing loads of diamonds cramming up settings that it's refreshing to see a stylish solitaire. Is it yellow gold? The photos make the ring look yellow but I thought from your description that it was unplated white??????? Can't see the stone properly though - looking forward to your larger photos!

EDIT: Oh, we must have been cross-posting. The spinel looks a good size and you're lucky to find a red one that big! Does it suffer from darkening in daylight like mine?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I love red spinel, and if pics "box" and "5" are in any way indicative of how it looks IRL, then it's a beauty. The setting is nice, too. Simple and elegant - not flashy, but it does what it's supposed to: Allow the stone to take centre stage!

Edit: Did not see the bigger photos. The spinel is indeed nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results