shape
carat
color
clarity

My peridot collection

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps collection is too strong a word for 3 gems, but I think all 3 are significant. It has been said that “people either love the color or hate it - no one is middle of the road about the yellow-green color”. I guess I’m in the group of loving it.

The original source was the island of Zabargad, off the east coast of Eqypt, in the Red Sea. The largest known cut peridot is the 310 ct round step cut gem in the Smithsonian, and is from this location. About 90% of the world’s production of peridot comes from the San Carlos Indian reservation in eastern Arizona. Small peridot (less than 2 cts) is quite low priced, but the price per carat rises significantly for larger gems.

Ever since Zabargad was depleted, most large peridot came from Burma (also known as Myanmar). This source often had many tiny brownish biotite inclusions, making the gem “sleepy” in appearance. For the last 15 years or so, the finest peridot comes from Pakistan. Small amounts of more pastel peridot, often showing more yellow, come from Tanzania & China.

Peridot’s chemical formula is [Mg, Fe]2 SiO4, and it is one of the very few gems colored by the elements that make up its structure. This property is called idiochromatic. Most colored gems are colored by trace metals that substitute in its basic structure. This property is called allochromatic. Peridot is also one of the very few transparent faceted gems that is attacked by acids. Most transparent faceted gems are not affected by acids. The pickling solutions used by jewelers to remove tarnish from gold alloy, can attack peridot, and should not be used.

3peri1224.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
The smallest (radiant cut) gem is a 5.40 ct peridot from Arizona. This is quite a significant gem from this source, considering its size, clarity, fine color and cut. It is also quite unusual, in that when you look through the table to the bottom facets, it shows almost no doubling (peridot has strong birefringence, and normally you see a strong doubling of the rear facets, giving a fuzzy or unfocused appearance). This gem doesn’t show it because, by chance the table was oriented nearly at right angles to one of its two optical axes.

radperi1198.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Another picture

radperi1215.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
The smaller pear cut peridot, is a 7.82 ct gem from Pakistan. Its pear cut is a typical modified brilliant cut, with a pointed pavilion and triangular shaped facets.

IMG_12031.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
The largest pear cut is a step cut pear, 15.47 cts, from Pakistan. Step pear cuts are somewhat unusual, perhaps partly because the crystal must be exceptionally clean to work with this cut. Since each crown facet is aligned with its matching pavilion facet, any inclusions or flaws will be instantly obvious.

The 3 pictures with black pebbly background were photographed using day fluorescent lamps. The other two were taken in overcast daylight. Near the point of the big step pear gem, there is a long, thin blue facet (reflecting the blue sky). This facet was placed at the junction of the two crown facets meeting at the point, to prevent chipping along this knife edge.

bpearperi1220.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
Very fascinating.
I love your stones, photography and info.
Clever kiwi background, thrown just the right amount out of focus to make the stone seem even more razor-sharp.

What kind of camera/lens/setup and f-stop did you use?
Tripod?
Timer?
ISO setting?
Mirror-lock up?
Extension tubes?

I'm a macro-geek.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mr Zeloite! :wavey:
Nice to see you back with more great photos of some of the many gems in your collection. You stood away too long.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Zeolite,
Do you have any faceted chrysoberyls? Not cat's eyes or alexandrites, but the chartreuse variety (since we're on the subject of yellow-green gems).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful. Thanks Mr. Z. I'm a fan of lilly pad inclusions. I just think they look kinda cool. Can you tell us about typical peridot inclusions & lilly pads?

Tx.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Kenny.

Canon 5DII, Canon 100mmf2.8L macro, solid tripod, camera 10 sec timer, ISO 100, not using mirror lock-up or extension tubes.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, packrat. Yes, I thought the kiwi matched the peridot color.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Mr. Zeolite,
Do you have any faceted chrysoberyls? Not cat's eyes or alexandrites, but the chartreuse variety (since we're on the subject of yellow-green gems).

Thank you TL for your warm greeting. Yes, I have a small (1.70? ct) yellow (with faint green) chrysoberyl, well cut, O.K. color. And I have a green (with slight yellow) 3.5? ct chrysoberyl with hazy clarity, and probably the most miserable green of any gem in my collection (really pathetic). Nothing faintly approaching the intensity of your 3.01 chartreuse one.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
sonomacounty said:
Beautiful. Thanks Mr. Z. I'm a fan of lilly pad inclusions. I just think they look kinda cool. Can you tell us about typical peridot inclusions & lilly pads?

Tx.

Lily pad inclusions are typical and almost always there in Arizona peridot. It is a flat, disc shaped fracture centered around a biotite inclusion. It is thought to be caused by rapid temperature rise in the earth's crust, causing the biotite to expand faster than the peridot, thus fracturing the encasing peridot.

Burma peridot can have hundreds of biotite inclusions, but doesn't seem to have the expansion fracture. My small peridot pear has some tiny whitish crystalline inclusions, but my Arizona radiant and my large step pear don't have any inclusions at all, that I can recall.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey there Mr Z :wavey:

Are you back because you are ready to accept my proposal? You must be because you are wooing me with gems in my absolute, all time favourite colour (as seen in my avatar). Gorgeous peridots, I just adore the lime green shade. People tend to rave about apple green peridots when the appear around here, but for me, the lime green just knocks my socks off.

Good to see you.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey said:

Are you back because you are ready to accept my proposal? You must be because you are wooing me with gems in my absolute, all time favourite colour (as seen in my avatar). Gorgeous peridots, I just adore the lime green shade. People tend to rave about apple green peridots when the appear around here, but for me, the lime green just knocks my socks off.

Good to see you.

But of course!
the lime green just knocks my socks off
Humm, I'll have to start searching for chartreuse jammies.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
zeolite said:
Gailey said:

Good to see you.

But of course!
the lime green just knocks my socks off
Humm, I'll have to start searching for chartreuse jammies.

That's the first time I've had a smile on my face today Mr Z. :naughty:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are gorgeous!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gret peridots!

mz

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Mr Z, wow. Your collection is spectacular. Astouding, really. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: I'm in green heaven! :love: I've always really really loved peridot, and as of yet haven't found one from Arizona thats quite the right size/color (I want one LIKE THAT!!! :appl: )

-A

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Always happy to see more of your collection. You have some of the finest coloured stones I've ever seen!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Zeolite, Thank you for the education, Your stones are gorgeous and that kiwi pic is amazing!!! I am new to colored gems and peridot is my birthstone and one of my favorite stones in general so the info is appreciated, I did not know they were mined in the states, another stone to add the the evergrowing list.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are awesome! I am looking more for an apple-green one, but maybe they don't exist? A stone with much potential, and can be properly protected if bezeled...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics as usual; I always open your threads because I know there’s great eye candy to be seen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results