shape
carat
color
clarity

I just purchased my first stones (Tanzanite)

knightsb78

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I've recently got hooked on colored gem's and gemology and have been fascinated by their beauty, rareness, and gemological properties. It was actually the "Gem Hunters" show that I stumbled upon on YouTube that got me interested in the subject. Subsequently, I have been doing lots of reading (there is literally a ton to learn/know about these stones and their treatments) and have just purchased a loupe/gem torch and polaroscope to practice with.

Anyway, I actually just purchased a tiny parcel with 6 small pear shape cut stones of tanzanite (2 carats total weight) from a gem auction online. I think I only paid about $18.00 for them and they are really just to practice with and study. I'm going to slowly build up a specimen set with a range of real and synthetic/treated stones, with a focus on corundum, so that I can learn to start recognising and grading/pricing them.

Obviously, only an online auction pic and havent received the stones yet...so who knows:

tanzanite_4.jpg

Anyway, one thing I note is that there is a huge range of prices for Tanzanite that is difficult to navigate. Obviously, the color and whether something is D block is the key to the valuations but i've noted that at the bottom end of the quality range that there doesn't appear to be a standard wholesale price that I can find. Is there some sort of standard pricing for the A or AA quality Tanzinite? Or is it fairly hit and miss with buying/selling.

This seems to be the largest stumbling block for beginners is knowing what to pay to build up a collection.

Anyway, Hello from New Zealand and I hope I can eventually learn and contribute something to this forum.

Best Regards!

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Hi there :) I've been looking at Tanzanite too, but the prices have been restrictive for me.

Those little pears you've bought look very nice. I hope they are as nice when you get them delivered. Tkae photos and let us see them.

knightsb78

Rough_Rock
ElizabethR|1484542571|4115625 said:
Hi there :) I've been looking at Tanzanite too, but the prices have been restrictive for me.

Those little pears you've bought look very nice. I hope they are as nice when you get them delivered. Tkae photos and let us see them.

Thank's Elizabeth! Yeah who knows what they will ACTUALLY look like when they arrive but the pics look quite nice. Honestly its my first time buying online at an auction so it's been an interesting process. They will probably take a few weeks to arrive down here but ill post pics when they arrive!

Cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results