shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever been to crater of diamonds in AR?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We are going this weekend. Any tips or tricks to mine a big ol 30ct diamond are appreciated!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I've wanted to go for awhile, so I am jealous. I know that people tend to have better finds right after they plow the field or after it rains.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
don't expect to find anything... even after an entire day searching. if you do find something, it will most likely be brown industrial grade material. it can be extremely hot in the field, so take a LOT of water etc.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Geeze sober guy, arnt you a load of excitement.

I will for sure post any findings! Hubby and I were going to go to our cabin in ny for the holiday, but I really have been wanting to go to the diamond crator. So why not! We are camping there too. Will be fuuuun!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry lol! After 8 hours in the 140 degree crater we found a lot of mud :bigsmile:

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lol. Sorry! Iam hoping to find more then mud using my Jedi gemstone skills. :p.

We will be there for 3 days so more time to search :p

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May "the force be with you" RH. ;))

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A, if you go wandering around surface collecting, do it as a pair. If you see something sparkle, stop, do not take your eyes off of it, and have your buddy pick it up with your directions.

B, I have heard that screening is the most effective way of finding stones.

I have not been since I was about 14. That would be 35 years ago. We found nothing, but I was not 5% of the surface collector I am now.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thankyou! I will be digging and screening. Dave and the girls will be Surface scanning. I guess I'm the only one willing to get my hands dirty :p.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soberguy said:
don't expect to find anything... even after an entire day searching. if you do find something, it will most likely be brown industrial grade material. it can be extremely hot in the field, so take a LOT of water etc.

RockHugger will find, I bet! Her stock is going higher and higher. Time to invest!

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Good luck! I always thought it would be fun to go there. I can think of much worse ways of spending the day.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of taking a trip there this fall, so I looked into the diamonds that have been found recently. I must say, I was underwhelmed.

But, have fun, and here is to hoping that you beat the odds and find a nice pretty. :))

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
crasru said:
soberguy said:

RockHugger will find, I bet! Her stock is going higher and higher. Time to invest!

Lol thanks crasru.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
If any one of us around here WOULD find something, it'd be YOU, Huggie!!!

I did the dig thing with my husband at the Ocean View Mine in San Diego County---tourmaline, kunzite and aquas so beautiful from that mine.

It's a screening operation, you pay a fee and get a raised screening/water and the big a$$ slag pile of tailings is in the middle. There is actually etiquette to getting your tailings bucket filled up at the pile, WHO KNEW???? :lol: Some of the people there got quite irritated with each other.

I lasted exactly 2 hours and called it quits, got in some shade with book and some wine, Bob went pretty much all day with nothing to show for it except he had a really good time. The mine tour, however, was FAB and well worth the whole day fee. We saw tourmaline in matrix that just rocked :bigsmile:

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, buy some coarse-knit cotton gloves to wear, save your hands. We got ours at a truck stop of all places. They've lasted through many washings and really did prevent my hands from getting macerated.

Big big big brimmed hat, shades, long-sleeved shirt and long pants.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
We went many years ago and had lots of fun! I was a young teenager and we found some quartz, but no diamonds.

DH has never been and we've been talking about taking a road trip as soon as I'm up to it...we're going to dig for diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds State Park.

Good luck RH!!!!

Lori

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Happy hunting!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun and Good luck! I hope you find a real winner!

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
I've been several times. It's basically a huge plowed field of dirt with a few pavilions to wash your mud. They have signs staking out where they've had big finds to give you hope. ;-) I would definitely recommend going after they plow or it rains, and not in full-on summer, it's hot as Hades and that's no joke, it's bad. I think there is a new water "attraction" there to cool off with if you do decide to brave the summer.

It's exciting at first, you can watch a short film on the park with a "how-to" and what to look for and then you can rent buckets and stuff and hit the field. You'll see die-hards who come every day and have their spot staked out with a huge hole and all their gear. If you do find anything promising, you take it to a park docent who will let you know if you've found anything. I've heard that many finds are after plowing/rain and the diamonds are visible in the topsoil but many others swear by panning and sluicing, etc., everyone has their own preference!
It's a big attraction for families with kids and I'll be honest, for me it got old after a couple of hours every time I went. I don't know if I would make a long trip just for it but if you're passing through and the weather is nice it could be fun and who knows? You might make the news with the next big find. :appl:

gemshow

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am going to be in the area in October and I'm really excited. I don't have a lot of opportunities to get my hands dirty during the normal course, so this will be a welcome change of pace!

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
You picked the best time of year for Arkansas and for the diamond mine! Fall is beautiful, especially if you can catch the leaves in their peak of changing colors (which is usually in October). There's nothing like a fun excuse to get your hands dirty so make a mudpie for me! ;-) Here's to wishing you great weather, a safe trip and good luck so maybe a whopper will find it's way into your hands! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results