shape
carat
color
clarity

Forger

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
First of all I am not a trained professional, so don''t try this at work. So I have lots of silver bullion. It is not already in the thicknesses or forms that are most conducive to making jewelry items. However with metals prices going nutso I am loathe to buy even more just to have a 6 ga. wire to start off with. So I spent a few moments looking at a drawing of the final shape and dimensions I wanted and the profile of a .999 fine silver coin to plan a path of transformations from one to the other in the fewest steps. I knew there would need to be many annealings, for unlike clay metal hardens as it is worked. I have found that it really can be moved around much like clay, and a piece the size of a ring only takes a minute to anneal. I am not finished with this project by a long shot. I thought some of you would be interested in seeing this process, while others may enjoy a good laugh at my foolishness. Still others might do both.

As I said It is only half done at best. I have not begun the forging of the setting itself, though I do have a plan for that. The end result should will be a 999fine Silver Ring with Asscher Grossular Garnet

AgCutPattern.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Agcut.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

AgSlit.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

firsttransformOpen.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag1stanneal.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag2ndtransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag3rdTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag4thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag5thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag6thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag7thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag8thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag9thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Ag10thTransform.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
And that is as far as I''ve gotten.

AgGrossulookie.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am amazed, I have never seen the process, so cool ! and that garnet is lovely and already has awesome interaction with the color of the metal even unfinished, can''t wait to see more, keep em coming!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s so cool!! Thanks for the photos of the process. Nice end result!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
How creative and industrious of you VL!
I think its a great fun idea, please do continue to update with progress pics.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I really like the hammered silver. And the stone is wonderful. It seems so easy in your hands, I almost want to repeat it. But as they say in stunt commercials, "do not repeat it at home".
Did you ever take any classes, or is it just you?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice! Fine silver is a joy to work with.

There is a different way of getting a ring from a coin: forge the edges, hitting them perpendicularly to the coin. This will cause them to mushroom outwards and thickening them. Then, forge both sides equally, so they curve inwards. When it is the correct size and wideness, cut out the center of the coin, creating a seamless, domed ring. Works beautifully - next time I make one, I will take pictures for you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
THat is essentially what I did. Upsetting the metal I think it''s called. except I didnt want the edges to mushroom out and over, but for the metal to get thicker from deeper down. Also I wanted to have a greater volume of metal in the "top" area tapering down to the bottom. One of the more enjoyable parts of this was when the band was so large it must have been like a size 15, I put it into the smallest dapping hole I had, put a small cut section of aluminum conduit over it and slammed it with a sledge. I repeated this one the other side to keep it even and the distortion to a minimun then annealed and moved down to the next smaller hole and repeated again. Thickens the gauge and smallers the size. When I was done the ring that would not even stay on my thumb could not be gotten onto my pinky. Well as I say there is still a ton left to do on it, Just thought y''all might enjoy this series of pics.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Cool process pics.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely more like a silversmith work than forging. I have to admit my heart cringed when I saw the cut coin but you have a brave heart and strong belief in your capability. It looks really good and a lot better than I can ever hope to do.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
This is the coolest post ever! I want to be able to know how to do this!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Very Neat and good workmanship; But...

I think it is still illegal to de-face US coins and currency Title 18 Part I Chapter 17 S333.

?Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,
falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
or whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into
the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered,
defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or
lightened? Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than
five years, or both.?

So it might be a good idea to get that off of their.

Just my humble opinion...

Very neat though :)

Most respectfully;

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2010 7:35:37 AM
Author: gsellis
A better title would have been ''Smith''. I saw ''Forger'' and the first pic was a silver coin... :D

Nice documentation.

Haha. I thought ''nice counterfeit job'' too. :p

Really neat process VL.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool process.
36.gif

I did admittedly cringe (I have a few of those coins myself)

-A

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are a very brave and industrious person!
No worries about the legality, read the quote carefully and notice the word 'fraudulently'. This law applies to those with the intent to trick someone by fraud, not to stop the good natured act of changing a coin to a ring.
BTW those coins are 90% pure silver, 10% copper when they are not from a special minting. Normally all dimes quarters halves and whole dollars dated 1964 and prior will be 90% silver.
Coin shops sell 999 silver coins, usually Silver Eagles or a special one like 'Christmas 1999' or 'The American Indian' etc, many many choices for a little above spot price. Best regards, Lee

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lee.
Actualy these one ounce American Eagles are 99.99 silver.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results