shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom James Allen Ruby Halo E-ring - Advice please

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but have been reading creepin' on the forum for some time now. Anyways, I have been putting together my "dream" e-ring and I think I may have found it. I feel in love with this setting from JA: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-yellow-gold-cathedral-star-engagement-ring-item-59072

With a ruby as a center stone, of course :) But, I prefer oval shaped stones instead of round. I chatted with JA and they can make a custom ring with an oval ruby. I have my eyes on this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/red-ruby/1.02-carat-oval-sku-20627

[EDIT: Here is the JA certificate.] 2017-02-24_16_13_47-gemstones__red_ruby__1.png

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that maybe you'd be happier with something that shows more light return. Have you looked around at the sites in the pinned thread?

cm366

Shiny_Rock
The idea is lovely and I like your setting! The ruby looks awfully dark to me, and isn't well cut, so as NKOTB says it's not returning a lot of light to the eye. I suspect it'll look dark brown/black in most lighting and show only flashes of red...

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your replies. I may have gotten a bit too excited and kind of rushed into putting a ring together. Right now I have mostly looked at rubies that JA offers, as it's the most convenient, but I'll start looking at vendors from the pinned post. I'm sure I'll be reporting back frequently to get your thoughts and opinions :)

With that, before leaving JA for a bit, what are your thoughts on this one? https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/red-ruby/1.13-carat-oval-sku-18364

or this one:

https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/red-ruby/1.07-carat-oval-sku-18360

Thanks again!

austinj

Shiny_Rock
I'm no ruby expert, but do you know what sort of treatments you are ok with? And also what's the budget for the stone?

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw this. Why are people buying these murky stones? And you can go shopping for me any time. That Pearlman's spinel is indeed gorgeous, I think.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Re: Searching for Oval Ruby - (For custom YG JA setting)

Hi all,

I have changed the name of the thread as it has evolved slightly since I started it. Those red spinels are definitely gorgeous, chroman. With that, I'm leaning more towards a ruby since it's my birthstone and they are my favorite gemstone.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Shape: Oval
Treatment: Unheated (ideally)
Budget: 3K
Size: at least 1ct

I have taken a look at some of the vendors from the pinned list and have found a couple. What do you all think about this one?

It's from Ivy NY:

2017-02-28_09_42_44-ruby_no_heat_1.png
2017-02-28_09_42_56-ruby_no_heat_1.png

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a phenoemal stone :love: , but I would be a little concerned that it might have a phenomenal price tag too.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
That red one above is going to be more than $6K, probably even more than $10K.

This would be my guess, especially since it's at that 1ct mark and is untreated. But if the OP has the budget for it, I say go for it! On that note, figured I'd mention this one (from a trusted vendor), if you haven't already seen/considered it:

1.05ct unheated ruby
6.37 x 5.11 x 3.62mm
$4,500
https://www.etsy.com/listing/492441610/105ct-unheated-red-ruby-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_3

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 3k for both setting and stone?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
That one is just 1ct, you can definitely find it in Thailand for around $2k. But if you buy it from IVY, could be $6k-$10k.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies - they're all very helpful. The 3k budget is for the stone alone.

Regarding this Ivy NY ruby -- I just heard back from a rep (I sent a price inquiry over their website) and she told me it's $2980?! Is that too good to be true?!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really want a pretty stone-translucent rather than opaque and a nice bright color...some rubies look like dried blood-not pigeon blood. Also you want to make sure that the treatments are minimal- none vs heat vs glass fill in. Rubies are so expensive that I am glad that the African gems have entered the market and are less expensive than the Burmese rubies. Like diamonds that are found in Russia, Canada and Africa (and elsewhere), I think that eventually, the finest colors of rubies and other colored gemstones such as emeralds from Africa will eventually be on par with their Burmese and Colombian counterparts. This is my opinion and I am not in the trade.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liiinduh|1488328950|4134942 said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies - they're all very helpful. The 3k budget is for the stone alone.

Regarding this Ivy NY ruby -- I just heard back from a rep (I sent a price inquiry over their website) and she told me it's $2980?! Is that too good to be true?!
I'm literally shocked by that but no they aren't scamming you if you I'd buy that now if it's in budget and a shape you like.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel|1488332717|4134984 said:
I'm literally shocked by that but no they aren't scamming you if you I'd buy that now if it's in budget and a shape you like.

I was super shocked too! I had to double check with them to make sure they didn't accidently leave out a zero. Happy to say that I just processed the payment on this beauty! Now on to the setting: JA let me know that they do not make custom orders on gems bought from other parties. :(

With that, to keep things simple, I may just start a new thread for the setting - so stay posted!

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments - it really helped me out :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget for the setting. I love the princess di look but I'd probably leave the shank plain to save money and then just buy a diamond wedding band ... David klass is usually the most price competitive custom jeweler. You'll want to make sure you have insurance while getting the stone set so you're protected if it's damaged

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results