shape
carat
color
clarity

Call me paranoid, about Tan on ebay....

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Read the trusted vendor thread, seems like to our PSers Tan is the only trusted gem vendor on ebay
But use toolhaus, you see LOTS of neg feedbacks of his stores, delay, synthetic, color not clost, lost items, all kinds of issues that are just as same as other ebay vendors. And all of the neg feedbacks are hided, I imagine it could have been more bad deals that buyers didn't bother to leave any neg feedbacks because they somehow worked it out.
Can someone let me know Why is he trusted again?

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=Odysseygem

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=gemcatalogue

bluenights

Rough_Rock
If any PSers bought from him before, have you double certified your stone?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
He is one of the only vendors I buy from on EBay.

I've never had a stone that wasn't what he said it was or look off from his videos and pictures. Then again, I do not buy sapphires. There is so much done to sapphires that I don't even bother. I mention his pictures and videos because the stones usually are more impressive in hand than in the listings.

I throw my spinels on the refractometer and check for inclusions when I get them (from all vendors, not just ebay vendors). I do the same for all my stones really.

I have never not once had an issue with the stone not matching the listings.

I also don't buy very expensive stones from him either. All my stones were under $200, if I were going to spend more than that on a stone like sapphire, I'd definitely opt for a report.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased from Tan in the not so distant past.
1. Blue sapphire with AIGS cert. Advertised as heated but came back from the lab as unheated.
2. A pair of pink spinels that were lost in the mail system. The refund was very prompt and hassle free.
3. Chrysoberyl that arrived quickly and is as beautiful as I expected. Not concerned about synthetic or simulant (easy to tell) nor treatment (not treated at the moment).

In terms of pictures and videos, none of what I have purchased did not live up to my expectations. If anything, they either matched up or look better in person.

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased several stones from him. 2 were in excess of $1000. My hot pink sapphire was advertised by Tan as heated. The AIGS came back with no heat. He and I were both surprised. The stone when received took my breath away. Stunningly beautiful. I have a thread on PS on this stone/ring. Other expensive stone was tsavorite with AIGS cert. I have bought smaller stones from him and no problems ever.

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Thanks for reply

I do admit he has pretty good price! But from your stories, seems like it's not rare that he and AIGS says different thing on heating treatment...Makes me wonder whether AIGS is not that trust worthy anymore.... :confused:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the last couple years I've bought maybe a dozen stones from Tan via his various eBay stores varying in price from $5.00 up to $350.00 - ALL of them have been exactly as described and depicted (or better) - the few times I emailed for more info on a particular stone I received timely replies - I kept the majority of them and returned perhaps 3 - refunds were given promptly. I find Tan to be an honest and reliable vendor and would not hesitate to purchase from him again.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
bluenights|1338843404|3209122 said:
Thanks for reply

I do admit he has pretty good price! But from your stories, seems like it's not rare that he and AIGS says different thing on heating treatment...Makes me wonder whether AIGS is not that trust worthy anymore.... :confused:

In most cases it's easier for a vendor to assume a sapphire has been at least heated (at least). It safeguards the vendor, but it also means that they cannot charge the premium of an unheated stone. It's better to pay for a heated stone and receive an unheated stone :naughty: Now, if the outcomes of the stories had been reversed, you would have heard about it, but you would have also heard how a full refund was given or a discount given on the price paid. That's the sort of vendor Tan is.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor|1338843700|3209130 said:
Thanks for reply

In most cases it's easier for a vendor to assume a sapphire has been at least heated (at least). It safeguards the vendor, but it also means that they cannot charge the premium of an unheated stone. It's better to pay for a heated stone and receive an unheated stone :naughty: Now, if the outcomes of the stories had been reversed, you would have heard about it, but you would have also heard how a full refund was given or a discount given on the price paid. That's the sort of vendor Tan is.

This, exactly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for reply

AIGS is a decent lab, but the only one I really trust for corundum is AGL. I'm not even sure if AIGS has access to a LA-ICP-MS machine. Last time I checked, they didn't, and LIBS is not as accurate.

I have had no issues with Tan, but I do know how to read his videos very well, and I also know which stones to stay away from.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluenights|1338830673|3208949 said:
If any PSers bought from him before, have you double certified your stone?

Whenever I buy a sapphire from Tan, I just send it off to AGL when I get it. I would assume Tan would refund my money if the stone didn't turn out as described. Double check with him though. Other gems, like garnets, chrysoberyl, spinels, I believe AIGS and GIT would suffice.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I just read all the neg and neutral feedback on your toolhaus link for odyssey. None of them seem reasonable when all things are considered. Ten dollars for a 1+carat ruby and then surprise that it is heated? Really? The spinel with the "crack" in it? That was abundantly clear in the video. Half of them had been accommodated and refunded but still left neutral or neg. Tan is reliable and honest, but you are not going to get the Star of India for 29.95. Remember that feedback is only as good as the lowest denominator of buyers.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought several stones from Tan within the past year and they have all seemed to be as advertised - but none are ones where treatments or synthetics are an issue. His shipping DOES take about a month and a half though - but he's shipping from Thailand, so that does not surprise me.

Also ditto everything that VapidLapid said.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to corundum (sapphire and ruby), this time I would rather send it to AGL because they are a better lab and can test for diffusion. AIGS and GIT will suffice for the rest. I agree that shipping from Thailand does take several weeks so one needs to be patient.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Nice mto see some good reviews for Tan from regular PS'ers. Thanks for clarifying some of the toolhaus feedback, Vapid!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall, I feel confident buying from him. No synthetic spinels, no gross flaws in the stones. I did buy a couple of stones that I do not like but I can not say he manipulated color. My poor choice. And yes, I did buy expensive stones and had no problem with returns.

One advise, if you communicate with him, as any vendor, he is prone to calling his stones "awesome" and his material "rare". It may be true, or it may be not. But I find that his videos are pretty accurate, so look at the videos.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ughm... disregard my previous post, OK? I typed and then went out to check my mail... here is what I got from Tan.

I thought I was buying chrysoberyls from him....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330729176098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2711wt_957

What I got was a pair of sphenes. Beautiful sphenes... When I looked at the picture, it said, Sphene, on the video, but if you read "chrysoberyl" in two places, would you check the third one? :confused:

Do not get me wrong, they are pretty... and I never had sphenes before... what does one do with them, though? They are soft, right? Earrings? Just put on display? Any ideas?

Very pretty stones, regardless of the windows... lots of flashes. Do not know if this answer your question about Tan, though. Everyone can get confused.

sphenes1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Artkteia,
Those sphenes are super pretty. I'll be glad to take them off your hands and put them on my ears. :lol:

bluenights

Rough_Rock
Those are some gorgeous sphenes!! I'm super jealous :love:

Would you mind share the vendor picture?

bluenights

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1338854094|3209257 said:
I just read all the neg and neutral feedback on your toolhaus link for odyssey. None of them seem reasonable when all things are considered. Ten dollars for a 1+carat ruby and then surprise that it is heated? Really? The spinel with the "crack" in it? That was abundantly clear in the video. Half of them had been accommodated and refunded but still left neutral or neg. Tan is reliable and honest, but you are not going to get the Star of India for 29.95. Remember that feedback is only as good as the lowest denominator of buyers.

Agreed. Some of the feedbacks are a bit unreasonable

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, those sphenes are beautiful! Pendant? Earrings? Keep 'em!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are beautiful, Ark! I hope you're happy for the mixup! Anyway, after looking at the photos and video of the stones in the link you provided above, I can see why you bought them. Don't understand how I missed them, but anyway, good on you!

johnfish

Rough_Rock
Well after checking his ebay site I was quite impressed. I even found something I wanted at a very low price so I bought it. It was buy it now. Within 5 minutes of sending the money through PayPal the money was refunded. The reason given was the item was out of stock. This doesn't give me a very good feeling about this dealer. Why post it if it is out of stock?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happened to me once. It was a BIN item just like yours, and someone had bought it a day or two before, and then they relisted it by accident. When I bought it, I was immediately refunded with the explanation. I have bought multiple stones from Tan and returned very few. Mistakes happen.

On the other hand, I notice that he has initiated a significant restocking fee. If I had never bought from him before and didn't know his stones were good, I certainly wouldn't start now...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1339044178|3210980 said:
On the other hand, I notice that he has initiated a significant restocking fee. If I had never bought from him before and didn't know his stones were good, I certainly wouldn't start now...

Hmmm....thanks for the update. Not something I agree with but that's his perogative.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Tan's stones. I have found his prices very reasonable and the two Mahenges I bought from him were much better then described. He also is very good on returns. But if he sells a stone at rock bottom price there is a reason for this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results