shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthstones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hello, all. I don''t post here much but feel the need to now.

My question is general. Do you think a "birthstone" should be the exact one listed for any particular month?? Are substitutes optional?

For example; We are due to have a baby in July. I would love a piece of jewelry with the baby''s birthstone. Rubies are not really my thing just because they''re so expensive to get a good one and I would be very hard to please color-wise. I love a spinel and could definitely get a great stone with really red color relatively easily. I think a spinel would also look better in the cuts I''m considering. I''m quite a traditionalist and would want this piece to definitely be a mother''s piece and I''m just not sure how I feel going with a "lesser" stone for one of my children.

Thoughts??

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s really up to you to choose what jewelry you''d like to symbolize your children. There''s no reason you can''t use any stones that have significance for you.

In the 19th century, people used to use stones to spell out words--Diamond, Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby spelled DEAR, for example. You could use a stone that starts with the same letter as your baby''s name--Spinel for Sarah, Diamond for David, Jasper for Jenna, etc.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If you do a little research, you''ll see that birthstones have changed over the years and are sometimes different based on the time. There are traditional birthstones, modern birthstones (such as Tanzanite for December), mystical birthstones and ayurvedic birthstones. Rubies seem to be pretty consistent for July, though I''ve even heard of turquoise or jade. Also, there have been many red spinels throughout the ages that were thought to be rubies.

My opinion: You should find a stone that you love to represent your child, regardless of what its "supposed" to be. If you want to keep the color red as a symbol for July, then go for it. However, fine red spinels are still fairly hard to find.

That being said, I think this becomes more of a "mind clean" issue. The real question is: will you be happy with with a spinel instead of a ruby? Do you think spinel is a lesser stone? If you do, then you should wait for the perfect ruby. July is still a while away, and the hunt for it will make the whole process even more rewarding when you find the stone of your dreams. While rubies are very expensive, there are still affordable rubies out there. If you''ll check out Dutton''s Diamonds, they actually have quite a few under $200 or $300.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Well, technically my birthstone is the pink tourmaline... but I hate pink... So I just go with regular tourmalines! I think you should do whatever you want. If you choose to honor the color of the birth month then go for it. As long as it''s sentimental to you then I think it''s great!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Something- when are you due? I''m also due in july- the very end of july.

I was actually debating a birthstone piece of jewelry too, but decided against it stince i''m due at the very end of the month and I could be late leading me into August. Also I already have some ruby pieces so I want something different. I''m debating doing something completely different wihtout birthstones but still representative of the summer- I''m using this ring as my inspiration. I have emailed JKT about it to see what she says- I''m hoping she will get back to me soon.

01245SarahB.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
glitterata~ You are a wealth of information when it comes to the historical aspects of jewelry! Thank you!

szh~ You''re right about the "mind clean." I don''t think a spinel is a lesser stone, in fact I think they''re generally much more beautiful than a ruby. The problem, I guess, lies in the fact of calling it a "birthstone" when it''s not. Nobody I know IRL would ever know the difference between a spinel and ruby so as long as it is red, they''d assume it''s a "real" birthstone. I checked out Gary''s selection and as usual he has wonderful stones, but I''m still not in love with a ruby.

redfaery~ My birthstone is pink tourm too! I like it but I found a pink sapphire that I was drawn to and had no problem using that in place of a tourmaline.

Sarahbear~ Congratulations to you!! My due date is the 17th but I''ll have a c-section around the 7th. I love your inspiration piece! I haven''t perused JKT''s stuff but all the keys I''ve seen are fantastic, maybe I should head over there for some inspiration.

My son''s birthstone is amethyst, a stone I love and is soo affordable, so I have several pieces. I know that with the price of a ruby, I''d have to settle for only a couple pieces. That''s why this is such a decision for me. I''m not one to love one piece of jewelry forever.

I know I want stacking bands so maybe I should just concentrate on getting a couple nice ones and continue to search for a stone that sings to me. Also, if i have a ruby stacker I think I''d be "mind clean" satisfied and then could go any other route for a bigger piece.

Thanks ladies!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
the birthstone thing doesn''t really appeal to me. Why should I let a board of advertisers tell me what stone represents me? why should I be limited to one? For me its about personality and what really sings to me. My birthstone is ruby, but to be honest, it never really appealed to me. Then I saw a ruby star. It was more on the pink side, but it intrigued me like nothing before, so I got it. For me, it wasn''t a matter of ''oh it''s my birthstone'' but rather that it stood out to me.

If it were me, I would choose something that speaks to me. something that represents the feeling of this wonderful time, and wonderful new person.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 7:50:44 PM
Author: kas baby
the birthstone thing doesn''t really appeal to me. Why should I let a board of advertisers tell me what stone represents me? why should I be limited to one? For me its about personality and what really sings to me. My birthstone is ruby, but to be honest, it never really appealed to me. Then I saw a ruby star. It was more on the pink side, but it intrigued me like nothing before, so I got it. For me, it wasn''t a matter of ''oh it''s my birthstone'' but rather that it stood out to me.

If it were me, I would choose something that speaks to me. something that represents the feeling of this wonderful time, and wonderful new person.

so you''re saying I could use diamonds!?! lol. Really the bolded part is very true. I don''t know why I''m trying to go by the book for this.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I think substitutions are fine. I want to get a piece with my DD''s birthstone. The traditional stone for October is opal, but I already have one opal ring and don''t really want another right now. The modern alternate is pink tourmaline, but I am not a pink person. I do, however, love blue and green tourmalines, and I figure any tourmaline is close enough.
2.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had another idea!! If we have a girl, one of the names in the running is Lily. I am sure I could find a lily design for a pendant and insert any stone I love. I just had to get out of the box.....

Kay~ When you write that you''re using a different colored tourm, it doesn''t seem weird to me so I think I''d be fine with it too.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thinking outside of the box is encouraged
2.gif

example: ruby is my ''birthstone.'' I happen to love sapphires- oh wait! aren''t ruby and sapphire both corundum? why yes they are
27.gif
teehee.
FI''s birthstone is emerald- he hates green, but loves red. So if I were ever to get a piece of jewelry made to remind me of him, I certainly wouldn''t pick an emerald.

maybe even make up your own system- they do- so why not?

I can''t wait to see what you come up with
31.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a March baby, so my birthstone is aquamarine. I''ve never like aquas much. I love rubies. So, I''ve decided nuts to this birthstone thing.

There is honestly no right or wrong about picking birthstones. It''s all made up anyway. I''ve found different birthstone lists for months, for zodiac signs, for Chinese years, you name it.

With any luck the baby will be born in June, and you won''t need to worry about the ruby thing.
35.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well since others have pointed out that most any red stone was called a ruby back in times past...that does open the possibilities to quite anything red...spinel, nice garnet, or a real ruby...maybe a rather small one as a "surprise" stone matched with others you love. I think your idea of Lilies or other "theme" setting ideas is better, though. Anything that reminds me of your child and being a mom is going to be special. Can you honor YOUR mom or grandmom with a more general theme dedicated to being a mom rather than just honoring the child itself? Maybe you could set a larger stone with one or more stones dangling from it for each child...could be smaller diamonds rather than a birthstone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My "official" birthstone is Garnet. All I ever saw were dark red icky Garnets in Maul stores and B & Ms. Then I joined PS and found out about Spess. Garnets. Problem solved.

I love the idea of making a Lily pendant if you have a girl named Lily!! I''m also thinking that you could find a nice Red Spinel and call it a July Birthstone since Spinels were often thought to be Rubies.

This could really turn into a FUN project!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure that you know that the Black Prince''s ruby in the Imperial State Crown (UK) is in fact a spinel. I would say if a spinel is good enough for Kings and Queens, it''s good enough for just about anyone else.

You need to go with your heart. What happens if the people who decide these things shake up the birthstones again?

I don''t know what your taste is in spinel, but I think this one from Peter Torraca is just stunning

torraca spinel 01.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, another amazing suggestion from you! (the other was a ruby in the Ruby Quest thread). That spinel is gorgeous.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 8:25:01 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I''ve had another idea!! If we have a girl, one of the names in the running is Lily. I am sure I could find a lily design for a pendant and insert any stone I love. I just had to get out of the box.....

Kay~ When you write that you''re using a different colored tourm, it doesn''t seem weird to me so I think I''d be fine with it too.

How about this "Diamond Lilies" Ring?
http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Right-Hand-Rings/Diamond-Lilies-Design-by-Zydo_1113.htm#

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You''re right about the part that you don''t have to follow the rules, and that no one would know if some red stone is a ruby or not (not even experts can know that nowdays just by looking, due to all the imitations, synthetics and treatments). But you also don''t have to get a ring with one large stone. You can get a ruby eternity band (or half-eternity for easier wear), strand of ruby beads, or a three-stone ring to keep it inside the budget (even if you''re not carrying triplets
9.gif
). Or how about a cabochon ruby instead of a faceted one - that way you could get a really nice color for not too much money. But I don''t think you have to go with a ruby, you should get what you''d like. Many women around here considered getting (and got) mother''s rings, i.e. rings that symbolize birth, but don''t necessarily contain birthstones.

P. S. Kay, there are many kinds of opal, not just the milky white ones you see most often at malls; how about fire opal, or a boulder opal for a pendant, or a nice crystal opal. Rings with opal inlays can also be pretty amazing. Kas baby, emerald is a beryl, and bixbite is a red variety of beryl - your FI might be interested. The same goes for Fly girl, as aquas are beryls too.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions!

kas baby~ lol, corundum is corundum I say!

Fly girl~ Glad you found rubies that you love!

Largosmom~ Thanks for the ideas!

Gailey~ You picked a perfect example of why I love spinel! That brings me happiness just to see on my computer! Spinels talk to me, rubies not so much...

MAC~W~ Love love that lilies ring! Thanks for finding it!

ma re~ Thanks for the added suggestions, definitely a way to open up my options!

If I decide I want a colored stone, I''ll be going with spinel, I just love them so much. If we have a girl I''ll definitely be doing something more name oriented than birth month. If it''s a boy.....I''ll be back! lol. Although, I am sure I could find some great blue stones (sapphire, spinel, topaz...) and use that to symbolize each of the boys. Yes, this is working for me. I have a feeling I will be obtaining a new precious within the next several months!!

Thanks again!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe, a stone is like the name: you should enjoy wearing it every day. I love garnets, but they are not my birthstones. So once in a blue moon, someone would look at my garnet and say, "Oh, you were born in January! Me too..." And then they ask you if you are a Capricorn or an Aquarius. I think it would be trivial and dull if everyone born in January wears a garnet, everyone in February - an amethyst. Also, with the risk of identity theft, you''d rather people knew less about you.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get something that appeals to you most, the birthstone gimmick should only be followed if it suits your needs.
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
My birthday is in November, and my birthstone is supposed to be Citrine. But I am in love with diamonds, especially colored ones. I don''t wear other gemstones.

I think I was born in the wrong month.
27.gif

You should go with what you love because in the end, if you don''t love it, you probably won''t wear it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get something that makes you happy. Spinels are in the same family as rubies and are very pretty stones as well.
36.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 4:02:20 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for your suggestions!

kas baby~ lol, corundum is corundum I say!

Fly girl~ Glad you found rubies that you love!

Largosmom~ Thanks for the ideas!

Gailey~ You picked a perfect example of why I love spinel! That brings me happiness just to see on my computer! Spinels talk to me, rubies not so much...

MAC~W~ Love love that lilies ring! Thanks for finding it!

ma re~ Thanks for the added suggestions, definitely a way to open up my options!

If I decide I want a colored stone, I''ll be going with spinel, I just love them so much. If we have a girl I''ll definitely be doing something more name oriented than birth month. If it''s a boy.....I''ll be back! lol. Although, I am sure I could find some great blue stones (sapphire, spinel, topaz...) and use that to symbolize each of the boys. Yes, this is working for me. I have a feeling I will be obtaining a new precious within the next several months!!

Thanks again!
Have you seen the picture of the ruby that I posted in the ruby quest thread. That baby is booming out Handels Messiah to me!!

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 12:07:45 AM
Author: marcyc
I would get something that makes you happy. Spinels are in the same family as rubies and are very pretty stones as well.
36.gif

This is wrong. Spinel and ruby are not in the same family, not even distant cousins. They have different chemical composition (magnesium oxide vs. aluminum oxide), different hardness ( 8 vs 9) and spinel is singly refractive while ruby is doubly refractive. Usually we say that two gem varieties are in the same family when they have the same chemical composition (such as emerald and aquamarine, or amethyst and citrine).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Gailey~ The Burmese Ruby you posted is gorgeous! However, I''d assume that''s WAY out of my price range. I''ve rarely seen a ruby so beautiful.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
A red spinel would be great. So close to the ruby. You should definitely go for it!!
2.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results