• Sunday Afternoon Wedding

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sunday Evening Wedding

• I dont care just give me the answers!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

So, I''ve been going through finances and we just cannot afford a Friday or Saturday wedding. It''ll be way too expensive. Unless we want to just throw a baby luau (um... house party) and say to heck with an elegant wedding.

What do you all think... Thursday or Sunday?

Just to let you all know, its in Hawaii and everyone has to come from out of town anyway.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the first to vote yay!

Sunday afternoon wedding. If finances are tight, go with a cocktail wedding. More affordable.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the Sunday afternoon wedding because if people can''t get alot of time off of work to travel they would only need to take the Monday off.. travel friday evening or saturday morning, wedding on the sunday, travel home on the Monday. Having a Thursday wedding would mean that people needed to take at least 2 days off.

But hey, it''s in Hawaii so people might be going for longer and having a holiday at the same time! (i know i would!!)
9.gif

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
you can have a really elegant early afternoon wedding! i voted for sunday early afternoon.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 3:23:26 AM
Author: cindygenit
I''m the first to vote yay!

Sunday afternoon wedding. If finances are tight, go with a cocktail wedding. More affordable.

Ditto.

I''m thinking about having a Sunday wedding (eventually) anyway just because the chances of me scoring the venues I want are higher!
9.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Monday flights are the cheapest. I voted Sunday afternoon.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I voted Sunday as well. A good friend of mine had a Sunday brunch wedding and it was absolutely amazing. I loved it! It was a beautiful late summer morning on the beach and afterward they had a casual, beautiful reception with lots of brunch fare, mimosas, sugar cookies...it was perfect. All the guests left in the afternoon and they went to a fancy dinner by themselves that evening. I can''t think of a more perfect day--waking up, getting married, enjoying the afternoon with friends and family and then having a perfect evening together alone...

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
I had my "destination" wedding on Sunday evening and it worked out great. It gave us the weekend for everyone to join in the pre wedding festivities - which would be much harder on a Thursday or even a Friday. We had the bachelor/ette parties on Friday and the rehearsal on Saturday with lots of lunches and tourist-y activities with our guests during the day.

Especially since people are traveling (they will be taking time off anyway) they can easily go back on Monday instead of Sunday night.

Either Sunday option would be fine, but if you really want an elegant evening wedding I say go for it and just do an evening wedding.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure where people are coming from, but if I was going to pay $600+ in airfare alone, I think I''d want to make a trip out of it. A thursday wedding got my vote, because people can fly down, do the wedding bit, and then have the weekend to hang out with family, and have a fun vacation... more than just going to a wedding itself.

Most people don''t go to HI very often, or get the opportunity to... so I think if they were coming, they''d like to enjoy a bit of a vacation too. I know I would. If I were your guest I''d probably fly in Tues or Weds, and stay til Sunday or Monday... so really either option is fine. My thought is if someone is going to spend the money on airfare and the pricey hotels, to head to a HI destination wedding, they''ll probably plan on taking a couple days off anyway, so they can enjoy the time there.

So really either option is fine. I would think it would be fun, if you had several group options - like a beach BBQ/Luau - snorkling - poolside at the hotel... hiking... etc... whatever your guests might enjoy that could be fun vacation options as well. Sounds like a blast!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 10:21:08 AM
Author: tlh
I am not sure where people are coming from, but if I was going to pay $600+ in airfare alone, I think I''d want to make a trip out of it. A thursday wedding got my vote, because people can fly down, do the wedding bit, and then have the weekend to hang out with family, and have a fun vacation... more than just going to a wedding itself.

Most people don''t go to HI very often, or get the opportunity to... so I think if they were coming, they''d like to enjoy a bit of a vacation too. I know I would. If I were your guest I''d probably fly in Tues or Weds, and stay til Sunday or Monday... so really either option is fine. My thought is if someone is going to spend the money on airfare and the pricey hotels, to head to a HI destination wedding, they''ll probably plan on taking a couple days off anyway, so they can enjoy the time there.

So really either option is fine. I would think it would be fun, if you had several group options - like a beach BBQ/Luau - snorkling - poolside at the hotel... hiking... etc... whatever your guests might enjoy that could be fun vacation options as well. Sounds like a blast!

Agree 100%. If I got a chance to travel to Hawaii, I would definitely want to stay for close to a week. Pretty much any day you choose will likely be fine.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock

tlh, its probably just personal preference.
9.gif

I wouldn''t wanna take those extra days off for a wedding when I can adequately enjoy myself over a four day weekend---> Fri(fun!), Sat(fun!), Sun (wedding, more fun!) and flying back on Monday.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 5:49:05 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
I voted for the Sunday afternoon wedding because if people can''t get alot of time off of work to travel they would only need to take the Monday off.. travel friday evening or saturday morning, wedding on the sunday, travel home on the Monday. Having a Thursday wedding would mean that people needed to take at least 2 days off.

But hey, it''s in Hawaii so people might be going for longer and having a holiday at the same time! (i know i would!!)
9.gif
ditto. plus many weddings are on sundays, so its not out of the ordinary:)

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I voted Sunday evening (this is what I did) but for timing reasons only (we flew back home on Friday, and wanted the wedding early in our trip)
I love the romance of white lights, and candles so I knew I wanted an evening wedding (we did all our pics in the afternoon, etc)
My favorite part about having a Sunday wedding? The fact that people didn''t stay super late. Weddings are VERY tiring (at least mine was with all the traveling, and setting up, and everything else)- the majority were gone by 10 ish, (snow storm warning and it had started snowing). ANYWAYS, it was perfect for us, because we got to head to our hotel room and actually enjoy and relax.

Good luck!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunday evening gives your guests the most options. They can come for the weekend and fly home late Sun night or Monday and not have to miss much work. Others can come earlier in the week and spend a bunch of time before heading home. (I only get 8 vacation days a year and most of those I have to use for Jewish holidays. Other people -- hourly, self employed, etc. -- may have difficulty taking additional time off of work)

Having it Sun. afternoon would limit what people can do. I would hate to be in Hawaii and stuck at (or right near) my hotel room waiting for a wedding to start. Can''t really go anywhere because you have to get dressed for the wedding and don''t want to be late.
After the wedding, there are only so many hours left in the day.

I would much rather enjoy myself Sunday, go to a wedding in the evening and be able to relax and enjoy the reception (without thinking about all the stuff I''m going to do when it gets over)

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock

Exactly why I voted for Thursday as well! Basically, since they are already traveling for a DW might I would assume they are planning to take a bit of time off work. Sunday seems like there would be a big push to get back to the office on Monday.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
At first I was going to vote for Sunday afternoon. Then I re-read and saw the HI part and am now voting for Thursday since if people are going all that way, its probably for a good amount of time. This way the guests'' weekend is free to do as they please, just as tlh pointed out.

Date: 9/25/2009 11:02:39 AM

9.gif

I wouldn''t wanna take those extra days off for a wedding when I can adequately enjoy myself over a four day weekend---> Fri(fun!), Sat(fun!), Sun (wedding, more fun!) and flying back on Monday.

33.gif
What part of tlh''s post are you referring to here?

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I say Sunday afternoon. What about starting with cocktails and then the ceremony?

I think Sunday is an easier day for guests. They can travel to Hawaii on Friday night or Saturday morning and then have the first part of the week off to help you celebrate!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
If I''m flying to Hawaii, I would much prefer to make a trip of it. A Thurs wedding, and then time to enjoy a vacay would be fantastic. I would be less enthused about a Sunday wedding in HI, and would only go if it was really affordable. For a local wedding, I would say Sunday, without question, but for a DW, Sunday would be really inconvenient...

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
i voted sunday afternoon.

i feel like that still gives people time to travel and still time to get home before the workweek and i think there is something elegant and charming about a sunday afternoon wedding.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I voted Sunday so that people can fly in on Thursday or Friday. How about a Sunday brunch wedding?

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for Sunday afternoon, and I think that makes me a total hypocrite, since I''m having a Sunday evening wedding. As with yours, everyone is coming in from out of town, and no one is crazy enough to try to leave after the wedding on Sunday. (Only one couple is crazy enough to fly in the morning of the wedding, and in their case it''s because he''s standing up in a wedding the day before.)

Everyone has been fine with the timing. People who aren''t coming wouldn''t have been able to come if we''d had it on Saturday either.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 2:02:08 PM
Author: Clairitek
At first I was going to vote for Sunday afternoon. Then I re-read and saw the HI part and am now voting for Thursday since if people are going all that way, its probably for a good amount of time. This way the guests'' weekend is free to do as they please, just as tlh pointed out.

9.gif

33.gif

tlh said "I''m not sure where people are coming from here..." ---> we vote on what we would do (personal preference). If you want to make a trip out of it, then naturally you would vote Sunday. But i personally prefer not to do that.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

totally agree.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Bollocks... i meant Thursday instead of Sunday in my previous post.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 11:10:31 PM

tlh said 'I'm not sure where people are coming from here...' ---> we vote on what we would do (personal preference). If you want to make a trip out of it, then naturally you would vote Sunday. But i personally prefer not to do that.

Cindy, I think tlh meant where purelily's guests were coming from geographically, not where PS folks were coming from theoretically. As in, if most of the guests are coming from southern CA, they may not want to make a huge trip out of it, whereas if they're from Boston, the time and money spent getting there might make them more likely to make it into a real vacation. No need to take it personally!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 10:05:26 AM
Author: Octavia
tlh said 'I'm not sure where people are coming from here...' ---> we vote on what we would do (personal preference). If you want to make a trip out of it, then naturally you would vote Sunday. But i personally prefer not to do that.
Cindy, I think tlh meant where purelily's guests were coming from geographically, not where PS folks were coming from theoretically. As in, if most of the guests are coming from southern CA, they may not want to make a huge trip out of it, whereas if they're from Boston, the time and money spent getting there might make them more likely to make it into a real vacation. No need to take it personally!
Ditto. I know that a flight to Hawaii for us is $750 each and a full day of travel. If I'm going to Hawaii for a wedding, you can bet that I'll be staying as long as I possibly can. It is too far away to make a "long weekend" out of it. (FYI, I looked up how many miles it is from Albuquerque New Mexico to Honolulu, and it's 3,221. Albuquerque to NYC is 2,019, which is a 5-6 hour straight flight in comparison. Even from Los Angeles it's still 2,551 miles to Honolulu...)

ETA: I cannot feasibly see myself traveling 2 full days to spent two days total. Friday-travel, Saturday-open, Sunday-wedding, Monday-travel. Yeah, wouldn't do it. Having said that, a Sunday wedding still nails it for me.

purelily

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much! :) It looks overwhelmingly like Sunday afternoon would be a good time. I like that idea too :)My FI is quite agreeable to Sunday. I''m so excited! Than yo so much for all your input and help. I read it to my mother and she was quite happy with the results! :)

I agree that if you are going to go all the way to Hawaii, you should make a trip out of it. Especially if you can get some cheap rates! For anyone else out there thinking of a destination hawaii wedding Hawaiianairlines.com has a wedding bells group special 5% off for people heading to hawaii for your wedding! I know its not much, but its something! :)

Just thought i''d share!

Thank you again!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Purelily- I''m glad you came to a decision and are in agreement with your FI! Being on the same page for wedding planning is always a plus.

Date: 9/25/2009 2:02:08 PM

Author: Clairitek

9.gif

33.gif

tlh said ''I''m not sure where people are coming from here...'' ---> we vote on what we would do (personal preference). If you want to make a trip out of it, then naturally you would vote Sunday. But I personally prefer not to do that.

Ahh... I see how you read that line tlh''s post now. I think what Octavia said in her post was what tlh meant. Coming from as in where they live/will be traveling to HI from, not their train of thought in their voting on which day would be better. This all makes a lot more sense to me now.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 5:49:05 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

9.gif
Ditto for the same reasons she said!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results