shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccum Cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
O.K. - this is my latest F&I "What up with this crisis dujour" I have killed four vacuum cleaners in the past month. I''m having a run of bad luck with them.

I need to buy another vaccum. I need a canister w/ a power head. Any thoughts on this? Currently, I am looking at Riccar''s. I do not want an Electrolux as the local vendor is not to my liking. 3 of us bought the Sears/Kenmore high end cleaner 2 years ago & all of ours have had service problems - so not going that route again.

So any insight would be appreciated. I had more confidence spending $$$$ on my new ring than .$ on a vaccum.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Hoovers make pretty reliable vacuum cleaners. I have a hoover upright that must be like 5 years old and it still works great! Perhaps the MOST reliable vacuum cleaner I've ever come across is an old Sunbeam canister that's probably older than I am (>28 years old!). That thing has the greatest suction and it still works great! Too bad they don't make em like they use too
sad.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Funny - F&I cause I am having somewhat of the same problem. I have been using my sister's Kenmore hand me down for years now - and last Christmas I finally got a new one to replace it because I had duct tape wrapped around the hose because of a rip. My Father gave me a new Dirt Devil upright - and it worked for a few months and then when I changed the bag - it won't suck anymore. (wow, I hope no men make a joke of THAT comment!) HA!

Sorry - anyways, I called their tech support and they brought me through all sorts of steps and yet the thing still isn't working. I feel like a dork bringing a vacuum to a repair shop - I'd rather just get a new one - but watch this happen to me again!? So I have still been using the Kenmore cause I hadn't thrown it out when I got the new one - thankfully...and that works just fine! What to do what to do?
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You cant go wrong with a kirby if you want an upright as far as the canister goes I will do some research for you.

http://www.kirby.com/

I have 2 kirby's one is 20 years old and the other closer to 40 and belonged to my grandma.
Both still work great.

If you want to save a bunch of money I found this:
http://www.thevacuumcleanerstore.com/kirbyvacuums.html
I haven’t dealt with them so be cautious just pointing out what’s out there.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
canister info:
http://www.housewarereviews.com/Vacuum/Canister/index.html
http://www.ivacuumcleaners.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml
http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com/canister-vacuum-cleaner.html

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
HA! Didn't know there would be so much interest in Vaccum cleaners.

Funny, hubby wants me to buy a industrial Kirby. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a Vaccum when there are so many diamonds to buy!

I, too Dancingirl, have an old Kenmore w/ duct tape around the hose. It's 20 years & still kicking *except* the power head just died. It's at our second home.

They just don't make them like they used to. And, repairs sometimes cost more than the darn cleaner.

Anyone ever heard of Riccar? I tried it in the store & it worked really well. Again, I need a canister vac w/ power head. I really do not want to spend upwards of a grand. The Riccar is about $500.00. I want to buy locally w/ all the problems I've had lately. Kemore cleaners have to be shipped off to Sears repair place. And their turn-around time is awful.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
ST - thanks for the links. I'm off to a Football game - will check it out later.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Vacuum_Cleaners-Riccar-Riccar_Model_RC1400_Stealth_Quiet_Model/display_~reviews

doesnt look good.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Not a canister, but I do like my Orek Upright.

win

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
We just bought a Dyson and are loving it. The other choice would have been a Miele. I don't think we could have gone wrong with either choice.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/2/2003 12:38:46 PM Hest88 wrote:

We just bought a Dyson and are loving it. The other choice would have been a Miele. I don't think we could have gone wrong with either choice.----------------

I'll check out the Dyson - are they as expensive as the Miele? I went into the vaccum shop to look specifically at the Miele. For my purposes, it did not perform as well as the Riccar & more importantly, was significantly harder to push. Plus, the miele was about 300.00 more. I've heard they do make great kitchen appliances though.

Also, Lowes started to carry less expensive Electrolux Vacuums. Any one know how good they are?

St-the model reviewed by e-pinion is no longer made. Those reviews are somewhat stale. I can't seem to find a more current review. Also, does any know anyone w/ a RIccar? When all of us bought our new Kenmores, consumer report rated it the best. *All* of ours broke - mine twice. A friends once - another friend had to totally replace the vacuum.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I can't live without my ORECK XL commercial sweeper. The $$$ is well spent on this particular sweeper. About $299, plus they have "extras" as freebies for buying it.
Good luck on your vacuum hunt.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Fire&Ice, my old vacuum was also a CR's best vacuum. I hated it! Last time I ever blindly trusted Consumer Reports!

The Dyson isn't cheap. The cheapest model is about $400. I have the 2nd cheapest. We only have hardwood floors so the Miele stick vacuums were a close 2nd. In fact, if you have only hardwood and area rugs, I might suggest you pick the Miele stick, but if you have carpet the Dyson is great. I love our Dyson but it's probably overkill for what we need. I do tend to overbuy, though.

The Electrolux is a re-make, right, of an older vacuum? When I was researching VCs I vaguely remember the discussions. If you have a chance, go look at the Appliance boards at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/ which were a big help for me with all my home-type purchases.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Hest88. We also have hardwoods & rugs in the public areas. In the bedrooms, we have commercial carpet - which the pile is very thin & tight weave (hence hard to get really clean). Our main problem is we live on a gravel drive (think dust everwhere), have two dogs who live inside & a hubby who doesn't care what is tracked in. I looked at the Mieli w/o the powerhead (which for above reasons I need). I liked it & it was user friendly. When the salesmen put some sand & fur down, it didn't perform as well for my needs.

It's mainly the country living that I need something that will not suck but in reality *really* suck.

Interesting about your consumer guide experience. Mine has been similar w/ quite a few things I bought. And, thanks again for the link. I will definitely check it out tomorrow.

BTW, I looked at the Electolux that Lowes is carrying. Actually, they are more "futuristic" in nature. But, I couldn't try it & *no one* could answer the very basic of questions - and at $500.00 - I wanted.

Got to do something fairly soon.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The Dyson is a really good "sucker" so you should definitely go look at it. It has a slight learning curve--more than most vacuums--and a yucky manual, but I think you'd pick it up rather quickly. If not, you can PM me! Go to a vacuum store to test it out. Sears only carries the basic model and the "Animal"--which is the 3rd highest model. Vacuum stores carry all of them. Although I have lots of pet hair flying around everywhere I thought the "Animal" model was too gimmicky to be necessary, but you might think differently. If I were to opt for a higher-end model I'd rather pay slightly extra and go for the Motorhead model--which is only available at vacuum stores (not the big chains or Amazon).

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like your living in my house. I too live in the country, with a sloppy husband, and kids.
I use the oreck on all surfaces without having to make any adjustments.
It has been the best vacuum I've ever owned, and it really get's in close to walls, and has out of this world suction.
2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a new vacuum - Sanyo SCX-130 / 1600W HEPA Bagless Upright Vacuum. Here are the specs:
. HEPA Filtration . Variable Power . Brush Bar On / Off . QuickAction Hose . Sealed Hygienic Canister . Edge to Edge Cleaning . Floor Type Height Adjuster . Extension Pipe . Long Crevice Tool . Upholstery Tool with Dusting Brush . 12in Cleaning Head . Dust Capacity 3.5 Litres . Cable Length 7 Metres.

It has air watts power (how much it sucks!) of 350 - higher than any Dyson and it cost almost a third of the price! (US$140)It works great and you can adjust the suction power for when you don't want it to be so powerful (like when doing rugs with fringes). It does carpets and wooden floors and you can lie it flat on the floor to get under tables etc. unlike the dyson which will only go back about 45 degrees.
rolleyes.gif

They also do a canister version. It's worth checking it out. I think it's better than the Dyson and a heck of a lot cheaper!
1.gif

Oh,oh.... just noriced the date of this thread
9.gif
Never mind, I'll leave the info on as someone else might make use of it.
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Bagpuss! So nice to "see" you. How's that gorgeous Old English Cut doing these days?

Okay, here's an oddball recommendation for all you vacuum-cleaner seekers: the Roomba. I LOVE my Roomba. It's a vacuum cleaner! It's a robot! It's a pet!

Seriously, this little round critter about the size of a turkey platter zips around your floors by itself, spiraling and zigzagging and running along the edges, sweeping up all dust & pet hair & scaring the bejezus out of your cat. It chases the dust bunnies under the bed. It slips behind the sofa and gobbles up the fluff. And it does this all by itself, while you sit there with your feet up watching (and laughing your head off).

I used to vacuum under the bed about once a year. Now I do it once a week.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
What is the cleaning power of the Roomba??? Although the concept seems intriguing, the recharchable aspect of the product suggests to me that suction power might be a bit anemic compared to traditional vacuum cleaners.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how many horsepower (or whatever they call sucking strength) the Roomba has. However, it does a great job. It has spinning brushes as well as suction, so it grabs stuff & pulls it in. And the suction is right there against the floor, not way off through a tube or a stick, so it doesn't have to be as strong to be effective, if you know what I mean. In fact, that makes for more efficent use of energy.

It's not perfect. It doesn't get into all the corners, and it's no good if you have shag carpeting. It can get wedged or boxed in from time to time & need to be rescued. It tries to eat the fringe on your throw rugs & gags, so you have to tuck the ends under before you set the Roomba loose. It pushes toys & books & slippers around the room--you really have to pick up before you use it, so it's no good for clutterbugs & slobs.

However, it's a real vacuum cleaner, not a toy. It really does find lots of dirt to sweep/suck up, even if you just finished vacuuming with your conventional vacuum.

Plus, it's incredibly fun! How many vacuum cleaners can you say that about?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/31/2004 1:17:54 PM glitterata wrote:

It pushes toys & books & slippers around the room--you really have to pick up before you use it, so it's no good for clutterbugs & slobs.

Plus, it's incredibly fun! How many vacuum cleaners can you say that about?----------------

Believe it or not F&I is still in the market. I bought a cheap Bissell one at costco to tide me over. I saw those little Roombas. Funny, when we saw them on one of the morning shows, hubby said, "Why don't you look at those?". My immediate response - it would take longer to pick up. We aren't slobs per say - but clutter is everywhere since I work at home & often so does hubby. Plus, we have two dogs & cats. I know this would drive them over the edge. But, funny watching that as well.
9.gif

I'll keep my eye on them; but, as of now, they are too new fangled for my fogey mind.
9.gif
I'll let others brave before me & work out the kinks. And this may sound nuts, I like to vacuum. Gives me a sense of accomplishment - yeah, I'm easy to please.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
There are so many brands of vacs mentioned in this thread that I never heard of. I'll have to check them out pre-death of the current Sears. Ugh! I hate Sears, but the old vac died when there were no funds. The good old Sears card came to the rescue.

I like the thought of the Roomba, but I have clutter from kids and then there's the cat. He's finally gotten used to the vacuum cleaner after nearly 18 years. I wouldn't wanna literally scare him to death!

I've seen an interesting vac attachment recently. Eureka is advertising a new, upright vac with a spinning dusting wand. I've been meaning to look at one sometime when I'm out to see how well it works. That could be kewl. A vac that you can dust with!!

Too bad we can't find ONE vac with all the bells and whistles that a person's heart could desire rolled into one!
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I too have to buy a new vacuum. I've finally learned that you get what you pay for when you go cheap on a vacuum, and now I'm thinking of doing the "Tiffany's" thing. The only high end brand I know is Oreck, and I have no time to do a lot of research, but I want a good one! Thus, I think I'm going to buy an Oreck. (That's the value of the brand investment they have made. All these other ones sound great, but I haven't got a clue where to even buy them.
8.gif

Now all I have to figure out is which model. I guess that is like deciding between the Lucinda and Round Brilliant.....

Stop me now if this is the wrong way to go, please!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The first thing you need to decide is cannister or upright. Powere head or not. I'm not sure Oreck does a bang up cannister vac.

Also, something that is important to me - an automatic turn-off for clogs in the powerhead - already burnt up one vacuum that way.

The models discussed here are usually sold by specialty vacuum places. Sears carrys some Dyson models - but few compared to what's out there. Electro-lux is not the same vac & are being sold at Lowes.

Good luck. I can make an instant decison of a several thousand dollar diamond; but, I am dragging my feet on this one. I can't see to find the magic vacuum bullet. And, vac. salesman are worse than diamond salesman.

Judy Fischer

Rough_Rock
I am looking for the Sanyo SCX-130 1600 With Hepa Filter,
Bagless Upright Vaccum Cleaner. Where can I buy it.
appl.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
I've seen an interesting vac attachment recently. Eureka is advertising a new, upright vac with a spinning dusting wand. I've been meaning to look at one sometime when I'm out to see how well it works. That could be kewl. A vac that you can dust with!!

!
1.gif
----------------

We just bought this vaccuum this afternoon! lol My husband is playing with it downstairs and my 3 YO is running around with the wand while I'm hiding up here in our office.
9.gif

FWIW, this vaccuum is only 129.00 at Costco. Pretty nice deal.
1.gif
It's rated #1 by consumer reports and my MIL who usually spends over 300 on vaccuums says it's the best she's ever used.

Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
We ended up with a Hoover upright from Costco. It is self-propelled, has a great wand thing for steps, and so far seems to work better than any of the previous ones we've purchased. I'm keeping our fingers crossed!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm jonesing for a Dyson since my Fantom is near death. I didn't know this, but apparently Fantom has gone out of business and it's hard to repair/replace parts. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dyson.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I just got a Roomba for my birthday. (a vaccum and diamond earrings -- what a combo
9.gif
). It is a self propelled, small, robot type of vaccum. It's amusing, and picks up great, but by the nature of it's way of moving around can miss whole sections of the room. I find it great for inbetween cleanings, but not a replacement for the real thing.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/8/2004 11:52:41 AM lop wrote:

I just got a Roomba for my birthday. (a vaccum and diamond earrings -- what a combo
9.gif
). It is a self propelled, small, robot type of vaccum. It's amusing, and picks up great, but by the nature of it's way of moving around can miss whole sections of the room. I find it great for inbetween cleanings, but not a replacement for the real thing. ----------------

Happy Birthday - I remembered the 04/04/04! Lucky you! What size e.r. did you end up going with?

I went from not having any working vacuums to having four working vacuums. Don't ask.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results