shape
carat
color
clarity

To treat or not to treat natural leather trim on a new LV bag? That is the question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -

I just purchased a LV monogram canvas bag with the natural leather trim. The LV folks said not to treat the natural leather trim with anything - that it will age and oxidize over time to develop the ''patina''.

That said, I''m beginning to see some light staining on my bag handles which, given the lovely look of the virgin, ''baby'' leather has me wondering if not protecting it is the way to go?

I think that I read on here somewhere about a recommended product, but I can''t seem to find the thread now. I''ve read some online forum where they say ''definitely treat it!'' with some products such as Shining Monkey Spray, Apple Guard, etc., but I''ve also read on some forums not to treat it for the first year.

Help! What to do?? Any advice / feedback would be most appreciated!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if i am not mistaken, you can''t really keep the super pale untouched LV leather from aging...even with protectants. it''s basically virgin leather.

i have two friends who have had LV bags for years and years, and the leather always aged.

in fact many people when buying a new bag, immediately put oils on the leather and sit it in the sun to get it to age immediately...because they don''t like the look of the pale leather.

if you find a way to keep that pristine pale light tan leather intact, please share because i have never heard of it!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Mara -

Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify - I''m not looking to keep that pale color forever - I know that time and air and sun will oxidize it to that honeyed color. What I''m wondering is whether or not I should treat the leather while it''s new with any kind of protector to avoid it staining. Some LV sites say yes, and others say no - I''m not sure which to believe!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh gotcha! i have never treated my LV''s and they patina''d nicely over time and turned out quite even. i know it may seem odd when you are handling it in the ''same'' spots over and over that it would get an even finish but it seems to work!

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I think its a matter of preference. Treat it if you really want the patina to be an even color. But even without treatment it doesn''t look bad. I have never treated any of mine and they look fine. There are VERY slight variations which is fine because I prefer a natural look. If you take the bag out in the rain there is a chance of water spots, but they fade over time. I''ve never had a stain that really bugged me.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I inherited a LV monogram Alma with LOTS of patina and water stains. I took it to the LV store but they are no longer offering a cleaning service. I then started researching mainly on the purse forum what to do.
In the end I took a chance and used a damp magic eraser and lots of the stains came out and faded the others. Then I enriched the leather with Apple conditioner and it came up lovely. I just adore the warm honey tone and it looks soft and nourished!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the great info, everyone! If I can find any of that Apple brand stuff I might try it - if not, I''ll just let it age naturally. Thanks again!

dolphingirl22

Shiny_Rock
Definitely treat it with apple garde. I belong to an LV forum and everyone swears by this stuff. If you get water spots on the leather it takes forever for it to become even with the natural patina. Here is a link to get apple garde:

http://leatherstuff.com/shop/view.php?id=284

BTW...wich bag did you get?

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 1:26:46 AM
Author: Mara
if i am not mistaken, you can't really keep the super pale untouched LV leather from aging...even with protectants. it's basically virgin leather.

i have two friends who have had LV bags for years and years, and the leather always aged.

in fact many people when buying a new bag, immediately put oils on the leather and sit it in the sun to get it to age immediately...because they don't like the look of the pale leather.

if you find a way to keep that pristine pale light tan leather intact, please share because i have never heard of it!
This is what I ended up doing with my first speedy. Of course, on its second day, I got caught in a rain-shower and it left nasty water marks, and darkening was the only way to cover up the spots. I wish I had know about the magic eraser trick then. Many of my friends have also "darkened" theirs to even out the color (the oil from hands tend to turn the handles faster than the rest of the purse).

Now, I must say, the best thing they ever did was create the Mirage line (fall 2007) where the handles are patent leather. I have taken my Speedy Mirage Noir through all weather for about 8 monthes now, and it still looks brand spankin' new.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results