shape
carat
color
clarity

Eyeshadow recommendations please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually I don't wear eyeshadow, but my daughters have recently introduced me to Sephora and MAC stores. Wow. I have green/hazel green eyes, brown hair, fair skin with some pink undertones. I don't know what brands and colours are suitable for me. I'm over 40, so am I supposed to avoid shimmery shadows? I don't even know! I did buy the MAC powerpoint eyeliners in Stubborn Brown (casual natural) and Bordeauxline (supposed to bring out green). But I don't know which brand/colours of eyeshadow to look into. Help???

Oh, and I did buy Urban Decay Eye Potion lid base as my daughters rave about it for keeping makeup on all day.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lyra!

DiamondFan is my makeup guru, she is brilliant with makeup and has excellent taste, so hopefully she will see this thread and advise you!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2008 3:53:27 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Lyra!

DiamondFan is my makeup guru, she is brilliant with makeup and has excellent taste, so hopefully she will see this thread and advise you!
Thanks Lorelei. I''ll have to keep checking back. I expect to hit Sephora/MAC again this week!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2008 3:56:32 PM
Author: lyra

Date: 6/29/2008 3:53:27 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Lyra!

Thanks Lorelei. I''ll have to keep checking back. I expect to hit Sephora/MAC again this week!
I wish there was a Sephora near me!
39.gif
I am also over 40 and still wear some subtle shimmer, so I think that would be fine. I tend to not use colour so much, but my basic eyeshadow consists of a neutral beige/ gold for the lids. Then I use a deeper brown/ grey for in the crease of the eye for shading and contouring, also I smudge this colour under the lower eyelid. Then I use a brighter lighter beige/ cream for the browbone. I also use a bit of this light colour around the inner corner of the eye where the tear duct is, this brightens the whole eye and gives a bit of extra sparkle.

But whatever you do, have fun and experiment.
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
lyra - your coloring sounds very similar to mine (hazel eyes, dark hair, fair skin). I''ve found that the best eyeshadows are either in the brown/gold/taupe/champagne color family, similar to what lorelei described (be careful that they aren''t too yellow-ish - it usually looks better to have cooler undertones on pinkish skin), or a purple, which will bring out the green in hazel eyes.

As far as shimmer goes, you have to be a little bit careful as it will emphasize any fine lines you may have around your eyes. But that''s a wonderful thing about Sephora is that you can play around with it and decide if you like the way something looks on you.

In terms of brands, MAC of course makes very nice eyeshadows and they have a wide range of colors. Personally, my absolute favorite are Stila eyeshadows - they are silky soft, blend on beautifully, and the colors are amazing. I''ve had really good luck with their eyeshadows as well as lipsticks and foundation for fair skin. If you decide you like shimmery eyeshadow, Stila''s Kitten color is fantastic - its a kind of shimmery champagne color, flattering on basically everybody, especially those with fair skin. I find I can do a wash of that across the whole eyelid, and some mascara, and it looks nice as-is. I can also add eyeliner and contouring as Lorelei describes for a more formal look.

I also like Bobbi Brown eyeshadows - they have a lovely texture as well, and some of her matte colors are really beautiful. There''s a dark brown called Mahogany which is perfect as an eyeliner for someone with our coloring.

You may also want to consider cream shadows - they can sometimes be easier to work with, depending on your comfort level with brushes. Benefit cream shadows are really excellent - great staying power. One of my favorite looks is to use the color Get Figgy (its a gorgeous plum) and some of MAC''s liquid liner in Power Plum - it really brings out the green in my hazel eyes and is super-easy as far as application, because you can just blend the two colors into each other to cover the whole lid.

Anyway, I''m sure I''m droning on here (can you tell I love makeup?!
20.gif
2.gif
) but I hope some of that is helpful
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2008 5:08:02 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
lyra - your coloring sounds very similar to mine (hazel eyes, dark hair, fair skin). I've found that the best eyeshadows are either in the brown/gold/taupe/champagne color family, similar to what lorelei described (be careful that they aren't too yellow-ish - it usually looks better to have cooler undertones on pinkish skin), or a purple, which will bring out the green in hazel eyes.

As far as shimmer goes, you have to be a little bit careful as it will emphasize any fine lines you may have around your eyes. But that's a wonderful thing about Sephora is that you can play around with it and decide if you like the way something looks on you.

In terms of brands, MAC of course makes very nice eyeshadows and they have a wide range of colors. Personally, my absolute favorite are Stila eyeshadows - they are silky soft, blend on beautifully, and the colors are amazing. I've had really good luck with their eyeshadows as well as lipsticks and foundation for fair skin. If you decide you like shimmery eyeshadow, Stila's Kitten color is fantastic - its a kind of shimmery champagne color, flattering on basically everybody, especially those with fair skin. I find I can do a wash of that across the whole eyelid, and some mascara, and it looks nice as-is. I can also add eyeliner and contouring as Lorelei describes for a more formal look.

I also like Bobbi Brown eyeshadows - they have a lovely texture as well, and some of her matte colors are really beautiful. There's a dark brown called Mahogany which is perfect as an eyeliner for someone with our coloring.

You may also want to consider cream shadows - they can sometimes be easier to work with, depending on your comfort level with brushes. Benefit cream shadows are really excellent - great staying power. One of my favorite looks is to use the color Get Figgy (its a gorgeous plum) and some of MAC's liquid liner in Power Plum - it really brings out the green in my hazel eyes and is super-easy as far as application, because you can just blend the two colors into each other to cover the whole lid.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm droning on here (can you tell I love makeup?!
20.gif
2.gif
) but I hope some of that is helpful
1.gif
I really wish there was a Sephora near me more than ever, I too have green eyes and plummy colours and liners really make the green intense, but it is hard to find good plum/ burgundy colours - I am very interested in those colours AG...
30.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will second Bobbi Brown like Amber Gretchen.
35.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lyra,

For subtle shading (suitable for office or country club), I highly recommend the Chanel Quadra eyeshadows. They have wonderful options for shimmer and matte, the colors are optimized to each other, and they both go on and stay on as a dream. They can be applied dry for subtle effect, or damp for deeper pigmentation (like along the eyelashes to set eyeliner). They are the perfect "ladies" eyeshadow.

(For evenings when you wish to have a more dramatic effect, Mac''s colors are supersaturated and have a lot of pigment... for when you don''t want to be so much of a lady, lol. But day to day, I swear by Chanel Quadra.)

I have green/hazel eyes as well, and there are two combinations that come to mind. The first, for when you want neutral, barely-there taupes/creams/browns, is "Demure". The second is the color combination for when you want to wear a color that will bring out the green in your green/hazel eyes, is "Vanites" (with an accent egue over the e), which is in the purple/plum/orchid range. Their brushes are also fantastic.

Hope this helps!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will write down a list. Every time I go into Sephora or MAC I have a list! I want to try something other than the natural browns, as I have been using that palette forever I think. I want to try some plums or purples, but it seems to be a matter of getting the right shade, otherwise it just looks odd to me if that makes sense. I''m glad to hear that a bit of shimmer is okay. I generally don''t like strictly matte finishes, although I do have some. I just want to try some different things is all. Thanks so much!!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Lyra I have hazel eyes and to make them "pop'' I use Bobbi Brown gel liner in bronzeshimmer or plum. I also use the the Bobbi Brown eyeshadow cream in Wheat which is great for *ahem* older eye lids.
I also for day to to day just line my eyes wit MAC PowerPoint in Treasure which really brings out the green in hazel. Duck Plumb and Forever Green also are great for our colour eyes + they don''t budge or smudge.
For full on night makeup Chanel shadows are awesome.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for more suggestions Katebar!

For anyone with greener green/hazel eyes, I''m just wondering if you experience the same thing I do when you use purple (blue toned) instead of plums (red tones). Basically, it just stands out for all the wrong reasons. I can use pinks just fine. My eyes are more green than hazel, I think that''s the problem. I lack the confidence to have a makeover at the stores. I really should do it sometime though I guess.

Hopefully the local store(s) will have all these colours to look at. I''m not sure about the Chanel. I don''t know if my Sephora carries the makeup. They carry the perfume line. I currently wear Chanel Chance btw.
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Lovely thread!
I can also second the quality of Stila powder shadows, they really are a cut above, and well worth looking at (closely) They perform beautifully, wet or dry
also their blush shades are rather special

MAC I find can be a bit hit and miss

Chanel quads *are* beautiful. They last ALL DAY, can have a lot of shimmer, layer up for various effects (eg heavy or light, which is why fleur-de-lis can say Chanel is suitable for day, and katebar can say Chanel is great for night!)
The colours are carefully selected to give you a lot of different looks wet or dry, and because it IS *ahem* Chanel, you can feel confident that your makeup is suitably kewl. You don''t really have to second-guess yourself with that label there!

Shiseido is another really great quality brand.

I''m inspired by Lorelei''s suggestions also.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 9:41:06 AM
Author: lyra
Thanks for more suggestions Katebar!

For anyone with greener green/hazel eyes, I''m just wondering if you experience the same thing I do when you use purple (blue toned) instead of plums (red tones). Basically, it just stands out for all the wrong reasons. I can use pinks just fine. My eyes are more green than hazel, I think that''s the problem. I lack the confidence to have a makeover at the stores. I really should do it sometime though I guess.

Hopefully the local store(s) will have all these colours to look at. I''m not sure about the Chanel. I don''t know if my Sephora carries the makeup. They carry the perfume line. I currently wear Chanel Chance btw.
2.gif

lyra - I''m wondering if the plum vs. blue-toned purple thing may have a bit to do with skin tone as well as eye color. I actually find that I can wear the blue-toned purples, I just have to adjust my other makeup and my clothing accordingly. But I have more yellowish hazel eyes, and my skin is extremely fair, but has a slightly yellowish undertone rather than the more common pink, as far as I can tell...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AmberGretchen, I think you''re right, it''s about skintones too. I''m definitely pink.
41.gif
One daughter is very similar, the other is fair with yellow undertones like you mention. Both have striking blue eyes, one with blue-green, one with bright blue. They seem able to wear lots of different colours unlike me.

I''ve tried some greens too. Basically, earthtones work fine. Khaki/olive greens work fine. Browns work fine. I just want NEW stuff!
3.gif

I really wish I could find the Chanel here. I''m in Canada, so our Sephora store doesn''t have everything the same. Can''t find Bobbi Brown either. I looked at the Stila selection online, and I saw some quads that looked really interesting. They have some for "smoky eyes". I will look at those when I go too.

I''m a spaz with eyeliner. I only do the bottom lashline. I''ve never been able to do the top lashine at all. Gel eyeliners defeat me I''m afraid. My girls can use all this stuff, but not me! I guess I''m going for a bit of "pop" but nothing really overt. More of a daytime look really. Thanks for all the help!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
lyra - I think you''ll really like the Stila eyeshadows. Their stuff is fantastic - the colors and textures are pretty much the best I''ve found anywhere.

Your daughters sound gorgeous - lucky them with the pretty eye colors!

Interesting about the eyeliner - I actually really wasn''t good with the gel eyeliners (the ones that required the brush), but the MAC liquid liner I actually find really straightforward to use. The reason is partly that they include a teeny tiny brush in the container with it, which helps a LOT, and partly that a lot of the colors are really subtle so if you end up drawing a thick and/or somewhat uneven line, it still looks pretty. The colors of that I use most often are the Powerplum color, and also Brass Beat (its a stunning shimmery greyish color) and Dress Khakis (shimmery olive/khaki). The kind I use is called liquidlast - it might be worth a try even if you''ve had trouble in the past. Just be sure to get an oil- or silicone-based remover - any drugstore should have that.

The other thing you could try for liner that I''ve found to be pretty foolproof is Makeup forever''s Aqua eyes pencil liner. It comes in at least one pretty, plummy purple color, and it stays on like crazy (although not quite as well as the liquidlast above, which will stay on for days at a time if not removed).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2008 2:29:11 PM
lyra - I think you''ll really like the Stila eyeshadows. Their stuff is fantastic - the colors and textures are pretty much the best I''ve found anywhere.

Your daughters sound gorgeous - lucky them with the pretty eye colors!

Interesting about the eyeliner - I actually really wasn''t good with the gel eyeliners (the ones that required the brush), but the MAC liquid liner I actually find really straightforward to use. The reason is partly that they include a teeny tiny brush in the container with it, which helps a LOT, and partly that a lot of the colors are really subtle so if you end up drawing a thick and/or somewhat uneven line, it still looks pretty. The colors of that I use most often are the Powerplum color, and also Brass Beat (its a stunning shimmery greyish color) and Dress Khakis (shimmery olive/khaki). The kind I use is called liquidlast - it might be worth a try even if you''ve had trouble in the past. Just be sure to get an oil- or silicone-based remover - any drugstore should have that.

The other thing you could try for liner that I''ve found to be pretty foolproof is Makeup forever''s Aqua eyes pencil liner. It comes in at least one pretty, plummy purple color, and it stays on like crazy (although not quite as well as the liquidlast above, which will stay on for days at a time if not removed).
I love the colour of the PowerPlum eyeliner. If the brush is user friendly (uneven handedness here!), I think I''d really like to try that one. My daughter really loves Makeup Forever shadows, so I''ll look into those too. Unfortunately, the store is often sold out of popular items, and sometimes it doesn''t stock certain items at all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great suggestions! Chanel quads are 2die4 as are Lancome and Bobby Brown. All great products. I also have MAC products--greens and coppers (my eyes dark brown) and I use my narrow angled brush for thin line of color. I also have two shimmery Lise Waiter, light green and periwinkle that I use and always get many compliemnts when I do!

Can you experiment at home with your daughters colros and see what you like or have the gals at the Chanel or Lancome counter do your makeup to get a feel for what colors and techniques you light like?

cheers--Sharon

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Lancome is great too.

The big difference I''ve found between Chanel and Lancome is that the Chanel quads (that I''ve used) are baked very hard, and kinda glittery.

Lancome (that I''ve used) has a more ''sink your brush in'' soft feeling, with very deep colours.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fun thread!

I''ve been very happy with the Urban Decay Primer Potion as well - seems to hold the color longer than most eyelid primers do. I''ve also been having fun with MAC pigments - just lovely things to play with! I used to use Lancome long before I was old enough to appreciate the difference between it and drugstore brands..... I do have a Stila palette that I like a lot, one Lancome single - but it''s a color I don''t reach for often. I''ve heard Urban Decay, Cargo, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, etc have nice products; NARS'' e/s are beautiful, but like many of their products (I''ve heard) my duo is very "heavy" - goes on very vibrantly and obviously with very little effort, so I''m not sure I like that -

And from those "in the know", the brushes you use make all the difference!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2008 10:03:55 AM
Author: ecf8503
Another fun thread!

I''ve been very happy with the Urban Decay Primer Potion as well - seems to hold the color longer than most eyelid primers do. I''ve also been having fun with MAC pigments - just lovely things to play with! I used to use Lancome long before I was old enough to appreciate the difference between it and drugstore brands..... I do have a Stila palette that I like a lot, one Lancome single - but it''s a color I don''t reach for often. I''ve heard Urban Decay, Cargo, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Shu Uemura, etc have nice products; NARS'' e/s are beautiful, but like many of their products (I''ve heard) my duo is very ''heavy'' - goes on very vibrantly and obviously with very little effort, so I''m not sure I like that -

And from those ''in the know'', the brushes you use make all the difference!
DEFINITELY! I received a set of Laura Mercier brushes for Christmas, they are excellent.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I need some new brushes. I only have a really good blush brush, and 2 eyeshadow brushes. Both my daughters have Sephora brush sets.

I can''t wait to go shopping now, thanks so much everyone! Of course, I must limit myself $$$ too.
11.gif

My daughters are both going to do the 15 shadow MAC palettes, where you buy the empty case and pick your own colours. I might actually get to try a lot of colours when they complete that! I love the concept. I tend to stick to just a few shadows. My makeup drawer is very empty really. I have some Lancome shadows but they''re getting old. If something doesn''t work for me, or I don''t use it often, I toss it.

One more thing to mention, and it''s not pretty.
8.gif
Since I am older, my upper lids have drooped some. I used to have perfect eyes for makeup. Not so much anymore. So doing anything too elaborate is pretty much wasted on me IMO. I suppose if I could master the upper lashline liner, that might give me better effect. My younger daughter does wonders with her liquid liners. I guess that''s what I should try for that area? Or would the PowerPlum work there too? Or should I not do a vibrant colour there? I don''t know.
23.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
lyra - I put the powerplum along my lashline. I find that that combined with the Benefit Get Figgy color cream shadow is pretty much fool-proof as you can blend them into each other to cover the whole eyelid as desired.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2008 10:39:46 AM
lyra - I put the powerplum along my lashline. I find that that combined with the Benefit Get Figgy color cream shadow is pretty much fool-proof as you can blend them into each other to cover the whole eyelid as desired.
I like the look of the Get Figgy. How do you apply it? Do I need a special brush? It may not be the exact right shade for me, but I like the idea of creaseless creme shadow. I've used creams in the past, and they tended to disappear or obviously, crease. I like the idea of "foolproof" though. I am foolish.
41.gif
Well, I'm a major klutz anyway.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh, how could I forget Dior quads???

Lyra, the nicest, finest liquid liner (well it is actually a pen) is the one by YSL. The tip is SO fine that you can control it for the ultra thin or wider line depending on your preference. That siad, my MAC angled brush can give as much or little definition as you need. Just takes a bit of practice....

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may seem like a dumb question, but do you put upper lid liner on before or after the shadow?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Lyra - you can apply the liner before OR after shadow. I usually do before, but that''s honestly mostly just personal preference.

Also, the cream shadows can just be applied with a finger - I usually use my pinky for the crease, or a bigger finger for the whole lid, but you pretty much just smear it on.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I just got my haul from Sephora!!
30.gif
Here's what I ended up with for today:

Stila Eyeshadows in Kitten (gorgeous neutral), and Pigalle (weird name, deep burgundy)

Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Pencil in 18L (deep burgundy colour)

Benefit Creaseless Creme Shadows in Get Figgy (deep plum with bit of red) and RSVP (neutral pinky beige)

So today I'm wearing the eyeliner (very easy to apply and lasts forever) with the Stila shadows. They are beautifully soft luxurious colours and I think they look great with green eyes. I did top line my eyes, but that isn't showing up. Maybe I'll get better over time. I looked at the MAC liquid liner, but although I loved the colour, I knew I wouldn't be able to master it. This way, I can use the Aqua Eyes liner on my lower lashline easily, and that stays visible. I'm really liking this liner!

The Benefit Creme shadows are not what I was thinking of cremes! They are nice and dry and beautifully pigmented. I'll try those tomorrow. The shades are just slightly different than the Stila ones I chose. Great suggestions ladies!!!

I will also have to pick up a Stila palette container. I didn't realize that's what you're meant to do with the shadows, doh!

My daughter bought the MAC 15 slot palette and 5 shadows for $62. Plus every 6 empty containers you bring back to the store they give you a free lipstick or eyeshadow. She's really pleased. I'll probably try some of those too, although I won't know the names of the shadows. She chose 3 pinks and a neutral beige. The selection looked overwhelming to me, but the makeup artist helped her pick shadows that would best suit her eyes. Cool idea. I might try it someday. You ladies have created a makeup monster!
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you had fun, I am delighted for you!

And yes, makeup is addictive....
9.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked and wrote down my daughter''s MAC shadow names. She''s the one with blue-green eyes, almost teal but more dark blue. The colours recommended for her were pinks ranging from light to dark: Freeze, Swish and Trax. The beige-y neutral which is a lovely shade is called Shroom, and is very popular for almost everyone. I think I could wear any of these colours too, although they will work better on her.

We''ve both decided to try more Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes liners. They''re just too good to pass up. I like them better (ease of use, softer) than the MAC powerpoint liners which are also waterproof. I think the MUF ones are a bit more durable.
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hehe - lyra, so glad that so many of the suggestions worked for you. Sounds like you had a ton of fun at Sephora.

I''m so glad that the Stila shadows and the MUF aqua eyes liner and the Benefit cream shadows all worked for you texture and color wise. I really think there''s nothing nicer than Stila for plain old eyeshadows. My current favorite summer color I think might be discontinued now but they still sometimes sell it on their website - its called Oasis, and is the most gorgeous shimmery gold. I usually layer it with the kitten and use a dark brown for lining and shadow - very summery, and brings out the gold tones in hazel eyes
2.gif

Anyway, I''m just so thrilled you found so many great things - I can''t wait to hear how you like the Benefit cream shadows for all day.
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results