shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of ring is durable for you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mr. Legato

Rough_Rock
Hi, im a newbie here in PS... i would like to know if you guys could help me out find a right setting for a half carat that will last long. Thank you so much.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi, you might want to post your question in the Rocky Talk section coz that''s where all the diamond experts usually hang out.
5.gif

MisterG

Rough_Rock
platinum is by far the most durable metal. it will last the longest and is great for someone who is very active or works with their hands.

i''ve been researching for a while and something interesting that i found out is that when platinum is scratched you actually don''t really even lose any metal... it''s just displaced. that''s not the case with other metals. so even if your platinum ring ''scratched'' you could polish it up and still have the same amount of metal over time as you did when you bought it.

Mr. Legato

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 2:09:35 PM
Author: MisterG
platinum is by far the most durable metal. it will last the longest and is great for someone who is very active or works with their hands.

i''ve been researching for a while and something interesting that i found out is that when platinum is scratched you actually don''t really even lose any metal... it''s just displaced. that''s not the case with other metals. so even if your platinum ring ''scratched'' you could polish it up and still have the same amount of metal over time as you did when you bought it.
thank you MisterG... my gf is very active ... she is a teacher and very active. and ive been debating on what to get for ering... either plat. or 18k white gold setting? i heard that plat. is hard to fix if its damage it. and white gold is easy to fix.

MisterG

Rough_Rock
well platinum is less likely to get damaged in the first place because of its durability. but if it should scratch or anything it''s easy to fix.

if you''re trying to choose between platinum and white gold... you should know that white gold isn''t naturally white. it''s mixed and plated with other metals to make it simply appear white, meaning it will yellow over time so you''ll have to get it replated. for that reason i decided to stay away from white gold. plus most women today want platinum... do you know what your girlfriend prefers?

Mr. Legato

Rough_Rock
she doesnt mind wat kind of metal ... its just im corcerned about getting damage in a long run. right now im thinking of wg since its cheaper.

MisterG

Rough_Rock
well cheaper isn''t always better... quite the opposite in fact. i believe you get what you pay for. if you buy a ''cheap'' car you''re going to have to take it in to get fixed much more than a luxury car. the same goes with jewelry.

right about the time I was thinking about buying her engagement ring, she had a white gold pearl ring that broke... the piece that secured the pearl to the setting broke so the pearl fell off. i knew i didn''t want anything like that happening to her engagement ring, so i decided right then i''d buy her platinum.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi mr legato :)

you might want to take this question to the ''rocky talky'' forum. platinum is actually a very soft metal (which is why it scratches so easily) - so you might want to consult the experts and get their opinions.

this is not the forum for your question, but you''ll get plenty of help from the experts in ''rocky talky''.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results