shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Proposal - Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Wingman

Rough_Rock
Hello All

I am planning on proposing in NYC in the next couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone had some advice/tips. I was thinking Central Park, but she always said that she wants the proposal not to be in public. I am sure there are still places within the park that are secluded, but was wondering if anyone knew of where to go in the Park, or had any other ideas.

Subquestion:
My GF lives with her mother, and is not very close with her father (who lives roughly an hour away). I am think i will ask for her mothers blessing, but should I ask the father as well?
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you all!

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Re: Your second question, do you think her father would say no? Certainly I think asking her mother first would be appropriate and you don't HAVE to ask her father (or her mom, for that matter). However, weddings are such happy occassions and people really like to feel involved. If you don't have any misgivings about his (or your gf's) reaction, I think it is always nice to include everyone.

Re: Your first question, carriage rides are always romantic and the carriage itself would give you a lot of privacy. Central Park is so huge, it's easy to be secluded.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
There are also those little row boats you can rent out in Central Park. You and she will be alone on the boat. That could be a sweet idea. Good luck!
wavey.gif

Wingman

Rough_Rock
That is a really good idea. I had thought about the Horse and Carrige, but i keep hearing that they really smell, and the ride is very short. I didnt realize you could rent rowboats...

Thanks, and please keep the ideas comming!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a big promoter of the horse and carriage rides. Like you said, they smell, but for the most part, I feel really bad for those horses and don't think the "drivers" take very good care of them. They just look so sad and tired. I think the row boats would be REALLY nice. You can walk around Central Park and find lots of great spots. I assume you're going during the day, but there is an area called the Rambles that has great paths and little bridges, etc. Then there is the Carasel, etc. You can find a spot and quietly propose. Good luck!
wavey.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how NICE!!

Here's a few suggestions:

1. You can do it at the Statue of Liberty - you guys can take the ferry over - do it right in front of Lady Liberty - there's a park there, so you will be able to find a private area. It's right onthe water - how beautiful! You could also do it on Ellis Island!

2. Empire State building - very popular place to propose - no privacy, i'm afraid.

3. South Street seaport, overlooking the water. (there's just something romantic about the water!)There are a few boat tours from there too, you could do it on one of those!

4. Think about what is distinctly "you" as a couple. for instance, FI and i are hockey fans, he proposed in front of the stanley cup. What is your "stanley Cup" - somethnig that is something you do, represents how you met, etc.

Hope this helps!

-treysar

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I stroll thru the Park during my lunch hour a coupla times every week
1.gif
there's so many terrific places to Pop the Q - I'd keep a few in mind so if you're nervous or the timing isn't right, you could wait til the next romantic spot
2.gif

Here's one site I stumbled upon LINK - the bow bridge has a nice view overlooking a lake & is at the entrance to the Ramble (as mentioned previously) - the Ramble is secluded but it's easy to get *lost* if it's your first time in there...
Bethesda terrace, near the bow bridge, is beautiful - it overlooks the lake by the Boathouse (cafe/restaurant) where they rent the rowboats (previously mentioned) - as of today at lunch, they're still renting boats but i'm not sure how much longer that'll be the case (note: on the website it says thru Oct). Wollman rink opened this week for ice skating in the Park - it's a beautiful view from there too...
love.gif
Love that Park!

Best of luck to you "Wingman"
wavey.gif

Wingman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions...

Now I am realizing I need a contingency plan. I just read that it is probable to rain this weekend in NYC, and that may make a Central Park proposal more difficult.

Does anyone know of anywhere indoors that is secluded and condusive to a romantic moment such as this? i am sure there are places outside our hotel room that we can go and be alone, i am just not sure of any.

Sidenote: i spoke with her mother last night, and received a very enthusiastic blessing. She also confirmed my notion to not bother asking her father, as they are not close, and i wouldnt matter to my GF.
1 step closer...and I couldnt be more excited. i havent slept in about 3 days..I am too anxious. I need Sat to come already so I can catch up on some much needed rest...
1.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Rain is good luck so go for it!

One word of caution: If you go the horse and carriage route, don't step on the horse xxxx, that would be bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean by a short ride? We took a carriage ride through Central Park in Oct 2002 and it lasted about a 1/2 hour. They move pretty slow. It did not smell either. I'd say that's a good place if she doesn't want it in public as most of NY is very public and the carriage is just the two of you and the driver. Otherwise, I'd say do it in your hotel room if you're staying there, with champagne, and roses, and room service. Some areas of Central Park aren't that safe after dark and it's pretty busy during the day.

Also, if she's not close to her father, don't worry about it.

Wingman

Rough_Rock
I have been giving this a lot of thought, and let me run this by all of you.

My initial plan to pretty much go with the flow, and see what happens. As it stands we have dinner reservations for Tavern on the Green, and then we are going to a show. I want(ed) to do it before we went to dinner. Now I am thinking I might change things up a bit...esp. since the weather is not looking too great (t-storms they are now saying)

What I think i will do now is speak to the concierge ahead of time, let him know that we are going to a show and see if he can arrange to have the room romantically decorated while we are at the show (roses, candles, champagne...etc). Now, I will still have the ring on me all day, incase that perfect time should arise. However, if it doesn't, when we go back to the room after the show it will be all done up, and i can do it then.

Should the perfect tmie arise while we are out during the day, then the room will be romatically decorated for the rest of the romantic evening...

Please, let me know what you think of this plan, any positives and/or negatives. Also..does anyone know if the carriage rides are enclosed or not? might be nice to take that ride and pop it in the rain...

Thanks all

Wingman

Rough_Rock
Can't...she has made it very clear in the past she doesnt not want a public proposal...she hates being the center of attention, mostly when it comes to strangers

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
OK, I understand it is not in her comfort zone. Might be hard to find a private room at the theatre. Good luck whatever you do.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
It's *not* supposed to rain so much this wknd - as of this morning, all the reports say chance of showers late fri nite into early Sat - clear Sat during the day & a chance of showers in the eve. Sun is supposed to be fine - no rain... contingency plans are good tho
2.gif
it sounds like a wonderfully romantic wknd!

Btw, you don't have to worry about proposing in the Park - most people do their own thing & aren't really interested in whether you're proposing, doing cartwheels, riding a monocycle w a squirrel on your shoulder, talking to yourself, splashing around in the fountain, getting wedding pics taken etc. (i've seen all this & much much more... no biggie)
4.gif
besides, the Park's so vast, it's not too difficult to find a quiet spot on the top of a hill or anyplace away from walkways/benches.

Edited to add: you can choose whichever carriage you like - most have a fold-down top that can be put up in case of rain
1.gif
Again, best of luck to you Wingman!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results