shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miked713

Rough_Rock
Hi all, new here. Hoping to find some help. I am going to propose on Thanksgiving to my girlfriend of over 5 years. Here is my starting idea, after dinner when everyone is cleaning up and getting ready for dessert. I was planning on hiring a telegram service dressed up as a Turkey to arrive, (someone meet him outside to give them the ring and place it on a silver platter with a cover). Do some sort of song, dance, who knows, maybe read something I''ll write, then have the turkey go to her, open up the tray with the ring and I will go down on my knee and propose....

opinions, ideas, ....?? helpppp I want this to be perfect

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
No offense is meant, but I even wonder if you are serious about this.

No way in hell would I consider something like that. I don't know you or you intended so Perhaps it would be a hit in your household. I, would want it to be something meaningful and romantic, not goofy, but that is just one (engaged) man's opinion.

Good luck whatever you decide.

miked713

Rough_Rock
No offense is taken. But like you said you don't know me. Both of our families will be there, I wanted to share it with them, as she does (which she has stated in the past), it is a little hard to do something real romantic when you have 15 people in the room together. I was planning on writing something to read to her before I proposed which will handle the romantic part but figured with this idea it could be a little fun also. How this is not meaningful or how you could possibly say "I am not taking this seriously" is beyond me, like you said you don't know me.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
If everyone in the families has a good sense of humor (*especially* your FI-to-be) it sounds kinda fun to me. But i have a thing for people dressed up like turkeys... GO HOKIES!

You are right about nothing can be romantic about 15 people in a room stuffed after a giant t-giving meal. And i assume the families know each other decently well if you are sharing the holiday. I would definatly add a personal and romantic touch once the ring is presented. Have some gorgeous roses to give her (from you or maybe her/your grandmother, someone special) and bottles of champagne, and say a few words from your heart. Maybe even just the two of you going out for dessert somewhere nice.

Im trying to decide my feelings if my b/f would propose to me this way. Like i said, i think it would be fun, but i have a sense of humor and would find the turkey funny not only because it was t-giving but our college mascot (where we met) is for all purposes a turkey. But i would like for there to be a romantic element as well.

Is there a best friend, parent or sibling of hers you could run the idea across with? Maybe even a parent or sibling of your own thats knows the two of you well. I would just make sure it is something *she* would enjoy since it will be her night. She might not like the large audience either, even if it is just family!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Well, it's certainly different than the ideas we typically see here... My advice however remains the same--whatever your idea, put yourself in her shoes as you think through how she and everyone will react and how the events will unfold. If you believe she will enjoy all of the families around and the "silliness" of the turkey-person etc. then your idea may be fine, but think it through. It's a very emotionally charged event. As to not being able to be romantic I say that's not true. If you were to get everyone's attention and then make an announcement (or toast) at some point during the evening and talk about how wonderful your girlfriend is or somesuch and then drop to one knee and pull out the ring... There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house. It would be incredibly romantic. It would also be very public so you and she would have to be comfortable with that. Whimsy can be great, but I agree with your instinct to include a romantic element as well (such as the reading of what you wrote). If you do say or read something, I say do it yourself. If you have someone else (such as a turkey) do it you will lose the romantic element. If that scares you (and it would terrify me) then I think you may want to consider a more intimate proposal. Either way, good luck!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Your proposal idea really appeals to my silly side. I really love the idea because it just sounds like so much fun. As long as you think your girl will love it, then do what your heart says. Since you have something romantic planned for after the silliness, I think your plan is a good one. While a marraige proposal is a serious thing, there's nothing saying it cannot be fun too.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
As a woman, I have this to offer: I have one of the most raucous sense of humors going, but I would strongly dislike having some guy dressed up as a turkey presenting me with my engagement ring.

There are times to be silly and lighthearted, but getting engaged is a monumental occasion. It shouldn't feel like a practical joke. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

May I propose an alternate idea? Ask the family in advance if you can claim the wishbone to the turkey that day. When everyone is assembled in the living room after dinner, tell your girlfriend you want to do the wishbone with her....or have someone in her family suggest that the two of you do the wishbone.

If it snaps to your side, you can say "BOY, I hope this ritual works, because I really want my wish to come true.....will you marry me?"

If it snaps to her side, you can ask her what her wish was. She'll likely say she can't tell....(and even if she does), you can say "This is hugely disappointing, because I really wanted MY wish to come true......I wished that you would say YES, you'll marry me! Maybe you'll grant my wish anyway." and give her the ring.

TRUST ME.....this will be romantic no matter how many people are present.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aljdewey what a great idea! You should write a book containing all of your good ideas for proposals and classy/casual weddings.

The only thing I could think of was if the family engaged in the tradition of going round the table where everyone says what they are thankful for...that could be good opportunity for a proposal.

miked713

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input like i said that was my starting idea, nothing has been set in stone yet, my other idea was the night before thanksgiving or a few days before (so we can also celebrate with our family on thanksgiving), was to take her back to the place were we first met (beach), under the moonlight have some champagne and roses on a blanket ont he beach and propose to her that way...i am now leaning toward this idea...

njc

Brilliant_Rock

That sounds very nice too miked713. Romantic private proposal just the two of you and then being able to celebrate with the families the next day or so.

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
Yeah, that seems like a very nice way to do it. I like the idea that it is all done privately, and beforehand so you can share your engagement with everyone at the big holiday dinner.

Good luck!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Aldj! That was EXACTLY what I was going to say!

In fact started to commpose that reply in my mind as I was reading hte rest of them...then there you go!

Either romantic on beach (although if she said she wanted the families involved then maybe you should take that into consideration), or perhaps a toned down Thanksgiving proposla with wishbone type thing.

Whichever way you go, I am sure it will be a special, romantic and memorable time for the 2 of you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results