shape
carat
color
clarity

A promising weekend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry in advance that this is so long! I just really wanted to share this story with someone.

The biggest problem my boyfriend and I have is that we’re both used to life on our own. We’ve been fending for ourselves for so long that we sometime have trouble accepting help from each other. When we argue, it is invariably either about something dumb like a book or movie, or about how best to help each other or stay out of each other’s way. I never let him help me clean because I’m embarrassed of my mess, so I’ll clean while he sits there watching TV, and then we get annoyed at each other. He never lets me help him at his place, either.

The biggest problem I have at my place is bunnies. Two big, mischievous, territorial bunnies. One has free roam of the living and dining rooms, the other has been holed up in the kitchen for nearly a year now. Anyone on here have bunnies? If you do, then you know how much trouble they are. Cute, fluffy, whiskered trouble. And introducing two bunnies to each other (such that they will get along and not kill each other) is the most ridiculously difficult thing you will ever do. They are very sensitive. They are very picky. And they have long memories. I had been trying for about six months to acclimate them and gradually introduce them, and we were at an impasse. It just wasn’t happening. My kitchen was nearly inaccessible, and each bunny was marking its territory along the gate separating the kitchen from the dining room. The daily poop patrol. So I told bf that I was going to try sticking them in a pen together ALL day and simply intervening every single time they tried to fight. Every time. All day. If it took two or three days, so be it. I’d stay with them.

On Saturday, I hesitated. I called bf and asked him if he wanted to hang out, and maybe I’d do the bunnies on Sunday. “Blacksand,” he said sternly, “You have to do this.” So I got mad that he was dictating what I should do, and pouted for a while. I really didn’t understand why it was so important to him. Then he came over with food for lunch and dinner and promised to stay with me and help. So I put the bunnies in the pen together. I sat with them for two hours and broke up any would-be fights. I stressed. Then I got out and sat just next to the pen with a spray bottle and stressed some more. I remember crying at one point. I don’t know why. Every time it seemed like they were getting along, I’d let my guard down, and they’d fight. So much stress. Bf stayed, fed me, and tried to engage me in conversation for ten hours of this. Then we lay down on the sofa bed (a few feet away from them) and tried to sleep. We’d wake up every half hour or so to make sure they were okay. At about 4:30 AM, a fight broke out, and bf jumped up and got to the scene before I did. By then, we were both in rare form. He was ineffective in his methods of breaking up the fight, and I told him so. I believe my exact words were “if you can’t help me, then get the [bleep] out of my way!” It was not good.

After I calmed both bunnies down, bf and I also called a truce. “We have to learn to work together,” he said. And it dawned on me that I’d been so stressed about the bunnies, I hadn’t even thought about us. As it turns out, the reason he was so insistent that I do this this weekend was because he’s thinking about us moving in together, and possibly soon. He wanted to get this sorted out so that the bunnies could live together peacefully in a new space, and he wanted us to work on it together so that we could learn to live together in a new space.

We both stayed up watching the bunnies for another hour or so. They cuddled and groomed each other. We finally went to sleep, taking turns waking up every now and again to check on them. By Sunday morning, the bunnies were peacefully cohabitating. Bf and I made breakfast together and took turns watching the buns while the other showered. I let him wash the dishes and take out the garbage, which I never do. Both bunnies and humans spent most of the day lying down and snuggling together, exhausted from the previous day’s stress.

The bunnies have been together for 38 hours without incident, and are currently lying all stretched out with their noses pressed together. And here I am looking at engagement rings with a guy who must love me very much, to put up with all of that and still want to be with me! It looks like we’re all going to be very happy together. Eventually. With a little effort.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Awwwww!!!!!

What a happy ending Blacksand!

I hope your bunnies stay all happy and peaceful (they probably will - bunnies naturally live in colonies)

If you ever plan on having kids I thin you and your BF would make great parents.

I too have trouble letting my BF do things for me - it''s a slow learning process.

Best of luck!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Awww... I''m so happy for you. All the best.
36.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I had a bunny - they are definitely peculiar (but very rewarding!). Basically, they are stuck in the terrible twos for life.
19.gif

I am glad to hear you are doing well with the bunny bonding (not easy!) and that you and your SO are managing to work through it together.

And I hope that you and SO can also manage to "bond" in living together as successfully as the bunnies seem to be as well. DH and I were 34 and 29 when we moved in together, both having many years of living on our own (him since he was 18, myself since I was 20) and with other partners before, and we found it to be quite seamless and fun, though we were also ready for the change and prepared to find our own way of living together. It IS different than living on your own - that does not mean it need to be painful or difficult. The key is to really keep the communication open, and come from a place of compassion, flexibility, acceptance and a willingness to really learn together how to be a team together - and that means seeing yourselves as a team even if you may not always agree on everything and may have different approaches to certain things.

Hopefully this has given you both some more confidence in that respect!

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That''s a pretty funny story, sounds like a scene out of a movie!

I know how you feel about having trouble letting your man help you. I lived on my own, taking care of myself since I was 15 (boarding school) before moving in with SO at 23. And let me tell you, a year later I STILL have trouble sometimes. But you just have to keep working at it, and it sounds like you two make a great team!

Congrats on the happy developments
36.gif
36.gif

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! We''re definitely working on it, and getting better at being a team. I have never lived with a significant other before, and have never been with anyone who was so caring and willing to help! He has been married before, but they did not live together well and fought constantly. So learning to work well as a team is something we''re both very aware of. That said, it''s not usually quite as hard as it was at 4:30 AM breaking up a bunny fight!

I just find it amazing that he was thinking all this time about how we''d house the bunnies once we move in together. I had no idea those kinds of details even occurred to him. He''s not really much of an animal person, so the fact that his plans for the future even include my bunnies is already proof that he really cares about me. The fact that he stayed up all day and all night with me bonding the bunnies is icing.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
aaaaaw! Happy fuzzy bunny story. Thank you for sharing. Blackpaw
1.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Aww adorable story!
1.gif

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
A happy fuzzy bunny story this weekend and a promising job interview today. Dust, please! I really hope he gets this one. It''s been too long; I just want him to be back on track and feel more confident. He puts on a brave face, but I know he needs meaningful work to feel good about himself. And also, well, you know, I want to get engaged.
2.gif
But that''s secondary!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so proud of you for finally bonding them!

I''m working on my first bond at the moment and it''s actually a fairly easy one, but still totally stressful. I have major respect for just putting them together and letting them work things out. I bet you''re so proud of yourself! Also, moving with them to a new place should only cement their bond more, so good luck with the move.

Oh, and please post pics! There are totally not enough bunnies on this forum.
9.gif

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Ok elrohwen, who is this avatar bunny of yours? That''s my dream bunny: a little black and white spotted lop. That''s actually what I wanted when I got my first bunny, but since I was adopting, I didn''t get too picky about aesthetics and went more with personality. Both my bunnies more or less chose me, not the other way around. I have a medium sized blue point gray female and a big fat black mini lop male (who was a tiny floppy baby when I adopted him; not sure what happened there!). They are both sweet as pie with me, but boy, did they hate each other! I''ve had Sylvester (the lop) since last August, and they''ve had limited contact through the kitchen gate since then. I''ve been trying to bond them in earnest since November, when Sly was neutered. I''ve done everything they recommend: daily "dates" in the bathtub, car rides, a box on top of the washing machine on the spin cycle...and nothing. I got them to a point where they weren''t killing each other, but then Sly broke out of the kitchen one day while I was on vacation, and they got into a horrible fight. Bella ripped a hole in Sly''s ear. It was terrible. So another few months and several vet visits later, I finally decided to ignore all the professional advice and just stick them in a pen together for 24 hours, with constant supervision and intervention every single time they went for each other, until I wore them down and they gave up on fighting. Totally unorthodox and incredible stressful for me (and my boyfriend!), but it worked. Finally. They''re snuggling and grooming all the time now. They hardly resemble their former selves. Eight months. I can''t believe it took eight months. But we did it!

Yes, everyone needs more bunnies, I think. Tell me about yours. Distract me while I nervously await news from bf''s job interview!

BellaandSly.JPG

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Aww, they're adorable! Definitely sounds like a tough bond - I was terrified of having to do a bond like that.

The bun in my avatar is Otto, he's a 1 year old Holland lop and my baby. I lurve him. He is the best little bun in the world and never gets into any trouble or does anything bad. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He literally just sits around and looks adorable.
30.gif

We got a 3 year old grey and white mini lop girl, Hannah, just about two weeks ago, from a good owner who didn't have time for her anymore. She's much more adventurous than Otto and I have to watch her like a hawk when she's in exploring mode. She's still getting used to us and the house and I'm afraid she's going to get into trouble. But she's a good girl and is starting to get comfortable with us and really enjoys pets.

I kind of freaked out when we first got Hannah because she was super humpy with him and Otto did not like it, but she's settled down and quite clearly loves Otto. She spends the bonding sessions trying to snuggle up to him. He's an anxious guy, so he gets nervous that she's going to hump him or do something to him, but he's gradually relaxing. They're a pretty easy bond so far, but we haven't moved out of the bathtub either (it's only been 6 sessions and we had a 5 day break in there). This week we'll move out into the bathroom and see how they do.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
She''s still getting used to us and the house and I''m afraid she''s going to get into trouble.
Hahaha. Oh yes. She will. I''ve never met a bunny who wasn''t trouble. I''ll bet even sweet Otto has a few tricks up his sleeve. If he doesn''t, Hannah will teach him! It takes a special kind of crazy to appreciate bunnies, I think. But oh, they are cute.

I love them. I want to cuddle them both.

Good luck with the bonding. Sounds like they''re doing great for just 6 sessions. That definitely bodes well. You might see some setbacks when you try to move them to not-so-neutral territory, but if they''re doing this well now, they''ll probably do great together.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Otto seriously doesn''t have a trouble making bone in his body! He''s like a stuffed animal. He won''t leave a carpeted area to go on hardwood floors, so I can literally contain him in the living room because he just won''t leave (unless I carry him out in his cardboard house). He also doesn''t jump, so he can be contained with a 12" high fence. He''s so sweet.

The only naughty thing he does is steal my magazines to chew on them. But then again, any paper product near floor level should be free for the taking.
3.gif

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
You know what''s funny? Bella was exactly the same way before I got Sly. Never left the carpet, never jumped, stayed off all furniture, absolutely immaculate with her litter box habits. Then I brought Sly home, and all that went to heck in a handbasket. Now she goes where she pleases and makes sure everyone knows she''s been there. Trouble. Hope you''ll fare better with yours!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I love it. We actually hoped that another bunny would make him a little more wild and crazy, so we''ll see! And maybe he''ll keep Hannah from getting into too much trouble. She''s very good when she''s just lounging and hopping around, but last night so got a case of the crazies and was getting into *everything*. Haha.

I am kind of worried about Otto not being as affectionate after they''re bonded and have each other. But I imagine most bunnies are less affectionate because their owners spend less one-on-one time with them after they''re bonded.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my buns have only been together for a few days now, but so far, they both still perk up and come to me for petting when I walk by. It doesn''t seem to have changed our relationship at all. Even if it did, I think it would be worth it to see them snuggling together. I''m sure life is much better when you have someone your size, who speaks your language, to snuggle with.

A

Anonymous

Your story is very sweet, it actually made me mist up a bit.
5.gif
It sounds like you have a great guy there that is really trying! I hope his interview goes well, keep us posted!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
He said the interview went really well. They introduced him to just about everyone and kept him there for almost 4 hours. He liked them and thought the job was a good fit, and they seemed impressed with his previous work experience. They said they''d call by the end of the week. God, I hope he gets it. It''s been too long. I can''t wait until we''re celebrating.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 12:11:45 PM
Author: blacksand
Well, my buns have only been together for a few days now, but so far, they both still perk up and come to me for petting when I walk by. It doesn''t seem to have changed our relationship at all. Even if it did, I think it would be worth it to see them snuggling together. I''m sure life is much better when you have someone your size, who speaks your language, to snuggle with.

Hear Hear!
36.gif

Love all the sweet bunny photos.

Glad to hear the inerview went well

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
All the bunnies posted here are beautiful! Awwww!
16.gif

Blacksand, your weekend had such a great ending.
9.gif
How great that he''s thinking of you two moving in together. And so cute that he helped with the buns! Yay!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 1:15:09 AM
Author: fsu1227
I want a bunny!

Ha! If you don''t mind losing your furniture, belongings, security deposit or sanity, go right ahead! Bunnies are adorable, and ultimately very rewarding, but they definitely require a very special kind of person. We were talking about it in a pet-related forum I belong to earlier, and the consensus was that everyone who loves bunnies also hates them. They can easily distinguish your most important and expensive possessions from the others, and they make a point of destroying them. Paperback? No way. They go for your grandmother''s gold leaf, leather bound Complete Works of Shakespeare or that $80 art book from the Louvre. The stew pot is a very common threat around here. And then they go twitching their whiskers or something and you can''t help it: you stop yelling and stritch their little foreheads.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 9:30:30 AM
Author: blacksand

Date: 4/14/2010 1:15:09 AM
Author: fsu1227
I want a bunny!

Ha! If you don''t mind losing your furniture, belongings, security deposit or sanity, go right ahead! Bunnies are adorable, and ultimately very rewarding, but they definitely require a very special kind of person. We were talking about it in a pet-related forum I belong to earlier, and the consensus was that everyone who loves bunnies also hates them. They can easily distinguish your most important and expensive possessions from the others, and they make a point of destroying them. Paperback? No way. They go for your grandmother''s gold leaf, leather bound Complete Works of Shakespeare or that $80 art book from the Louvre. The stew pot is a very common threat around here. And then they go twitching their whiskers or something and you can''t help it: you stop yelling and stritch their little foreheads.
See, I just clean up everything in my house so they don''t have access to this stuff. If it''s on the floor, it''s a bunny toy, so nothing''s left on the floor! Haha. A lot of happiness with bunnies comes down to immaculate bunny-proofing.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Trust me, no amount of bunny-proofing is enough to stop a determined bunny. Your Otto seems to be an anomaly. I have grids covering all bookshelves and electronics, all wires encased in hard plastic tubing, underneath the sofa blocked off so they can''t pull out the stuffing, corner guards so they can''t chew the moulding, most of the doors covered in hard plastic so they can''t rip off the paint, plastic mats on the floor in all corners so they can''t dig the carpet, and never leave anything on the floor, chairs, or couch except for bunny toys. Last week, Bella jumped on a chair, leapt from the arm rest to the third shelf of books (the bottom two are protected), grabbed a book with her teeth while in mid-air and pulled it down to the floor as she landed. She''s a ninja, seriously. So I had to move my furniture around. Again. Every day, they discover something new. It''s always an adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results