shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather?

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Long story short, I made a stupid move and traded my mid-plane window seat for the last row aisle seat right next to the lavatories. I called the airline after realizing what I had done, but my original seat was already taken and now all they have left is my current seat or middle seats.

Would you rather have a middle seat away from the bathroom or an aisle seat in a 2-person arrangement close to the lavatories at the very end? Keep in mind, this is a 12 hour flight.

Thanks!
Kitcha

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
For 12 hours, I would WANT to be next to the bathroom. They always fill you up with water and sodas, I'd have to pee like ten times lol.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'd rather be on an aisle seat next to the bathrooms. I hate hate hate being squished in between two people! Plus, if you're watching a movie or listening to music, the sound will probably drown out. On any flights I have been on, sitting next to a bathroom has never been a problem for me. Besides, being next to a bathroom might not be such a bad thing considering you'll probably have to get up and use it more than once and you won't have to bother climbing over anyone to do it :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without a doubt, I'd rather have the aisle seat. That's what I always request because I'm a little claustrophobic. It doesn't matter to me so much where in the plane I'm sitting (front, middle, back), but it does matter to me that I have an aisle seat. This is for both short flights and long ones.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1292449396|2797870 said:
For 12 hours, I would WANT to be next to the bathroom. They always fill you up with water and sodas, I'd have to pee like ten times lol.

Yeah, I would need to be next to the bathroom too esp. with a 12-hour flight...but that's partically b/c I would need a few drinks (besides water and soda) to make it through that long of a flight :) lol

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no. Ugh. I'd pick the aisle because it's better than middle, but this is a close, close call. I mean, the back of the plane starts to stink. Sometimes the last row doesn't recline fully. And people will LEAN against your seat as they wait for the bathroom. If you're not a sleeper, you might be able to deal with that, but it is very hard to rest in the very back of the plane. The galley light is also usually always on. People congregrate to TALK and hang out and stretch their legs back there. AND, the back of the plane feels quite a bit more turbulent than up close.

Honestly, I'd almost rather pick the middle. I know all about long haul flights and I loathe the back of the plane, or ANY part of the plane that has a galley and toilets (we once sat in a great exit row, but had most of the same issues). I did sit at the very last row on a 747 to Australia. We thought it would be nice since it's 2 seats in the back instead of 3. Someone kept leaning on our chair and bumping it as they hung out by the exit door. She also spoke loudly and obnoxiously, but it was in another language, so I didn't even get the benefit of at least getting to hear what the hell she was talking about. On that flight/plane, the best back seats are 3 rows in...still 2 seats, but far enough away that you don't hear what's going on as easily.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I would keep the aisle seat. With a 12 hour flight I would try to sleep the most I could and I always have to pee as soon as I wake up.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
middle. esp on such a long flight, with so many people using the lav without a cleaning between - I would worry about odours.

Though of course, if you get a middle seat and someone next to you has bad breath or forgot deodorant, you have the same problem :knockout:

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
tough choice but i think i'd take aisle b/c i HATE being in the middle seat. maybe pack noise canceling headphones, a good book or two, and some body spray (in case of the stink) in your carry on :D

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Man, thats a tough call, but i might choose the aisle, even though flying in the back of the plane, you tend to feel more bumps, its actually proved( SO worked in avatation for YEARS), you might get stuck inbetween a smelly person, or someone who thinks its okay to have a HUGE bag....take some headphones, some body spray to keep away any bathroom smells...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take the aisle seat no matter what... I have flown 5 flights over 12 hours in the past year and will be adding 2 more the end of this month. I can tolerate the smells, I can handle people climbing over me, but I can't handle climbing over others and being near the toilet would have a silver lining in that you'd always know when a good time to get up and not have to stand around and wait would be.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1292463022|2798095 said:
middle. esp on such a long flight, with so many people using the lav without a cleaning between - I would worry about odours.

Though of course, if you get a middle seat and someone next to you has bad breath or forgot deodorant, you have the same problem :knockout:

Most of our long flights have been on korean air and they are GOOD. They clean the bathroom a few times during the flight, looks like new, totally restocked.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
On a 12 hour flight, I'm guessing that you will be flying a 747? Maybe A380? I hope to god it's NOT a 767!

If it's a jumbo, take the back. It usually doesn't butt RIGHT up against the loo like the domestic planes.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Aisle next to the lavatory - definitely! I did that on a flight to Europe and it wasn't as horrible as having a middle seat.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My arse is a moderate-to-large size, so I'd rather not be squeezed between two people for a 12 hour flight. I also have a teeny tiny bladder so I think I'd like to be near the potty.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
This is so tough, but I think I'd do middle for all the reasons TGal mentined--the odor, the constant line of people and most importantly, the lack of reclining seats in the last row.

But, no matter what, ask to be moved when you go to the gate. They always free up some seats that were formerly "blocked" before a flight and I think you'll have a good chance of getting reseated if you ask.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1292514326|2798539 said:
This is so tough, but I think I'd do middle for all the reasons TGal mentined--the odor, the constant line of people and most importantly, the lack of reclining seats in the last row.

But, no matter what, ask to be moved when you go to the gate. They always free up some seats that were formerly "blocked" before a flight and I think you'll have a good chance of getting reseated if you ask.

The lack of reclining may be the case on a domestic flight and smaller plane, but if it's a big one, the last row of seats isn't usually butted up against a wall. It really depends on the plane, but I figured it's a bigger one so that's why I changed my recommendation.

But boy, it does bounce around a lot back there.

Oh, one more reason to hate the back...if there's a screaming baby on board, guess where the parents take them to cause the least disruption?

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
long flights i prefer the window seat as its easier to sleep. Short flights I prefer aisles as I can stand up when the plane lands faster and get blood flow back in my legs. In your situation I would have taken the window.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I'll sit anywhere if that meant I didn't have to take a middle seat

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Cehrabehra|1292483071|2798369 said:
Yssie|1292463022|2798095 said:

Most of our long flights have been on korean air and they are GOOD. They clean the bathroom a few times during the flight, looks like new, totally restocked.

I'll be flying Korean Air, so that's good to know. I was more worried about the stink than anything else regarding the back. I'm super sensitive to smell versus anything else, but if they clean it during the flight it should (hopefully) be ok.

I think I'll stick with the aisle and just try to switch seats at the airport.

Thanks for the replies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results