shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cat food would you feed feral cats?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
There are 2 kitties outside that showed up about 2 weeks ago. They look to be between 1 and 2 years of age. A girl and a boy (I think) that look like they are probably litter mates. She looks seal point siamese and he has color points with tabbie markings. They found a good shelter and I''ve been feeding them. The boy kitty has his right ear tipped (the tip is cut off) which indicates Trap Neuter Release. She looks great, with big clear eyes and clean ears - he has conjunctivitis, dirty ears, and just an overall messy appearance. He is more skittish than her - but both are pretty comfortable with me (she ate catnip out of my hand yesterday).

If they were truly feral, would they let me get so close in just a week and a half? Is it possible somebody just dumped them? Anyway, I plan to keep taking care of them, try to tame them and find them homes.

My 2 indoor cats are fed Eukanuba and prescription food from the vet. I''ve been feeding the feral cats plain Purina Cat Chow in the blue bag. I kind of feel guilty that I''m not giving them premium food. Though a few years ago when one of my cats was having a problem with loose stool, the vet put her on cat chow to clear it up. It worked and the vet said that Purina Cat Chow is a pretty nutritious food.

Also the boy kitty is drinking LOTS of water. I''m thinking he may need wet food. Can anyone recommend fairly nutritious/inexpensive brands?

These kitties are so sweet. It just breaks my heart to see kitties without homes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDIT:

Feeding them makes them dependent on humans and increases the size of their litters, which makes the feral cat problem worse.
You are creating MORE hungry cute feral kittens.

There are many other wild animals out there too.
Is it fair to feed only the ones you feel are cute?
If you let them depend on nature for food the population size will adjust to the food supply.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About feral cats. . . click

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 5:19:15 PM
Author: kenny
Feeding them makes them dependent on humans which makes the feral cat problem worse.

If you let them depend on nature for food the population size will adjust to the food supply.

I believe both of these cats have been "fixed" and may have been former pets. But you''re right, I should probably just let them starve.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I''m going to be honest with you and tell you that I didn''t click on your links.

I strongly believe in and have read many, MANY times how much benefit caring humans can be to feral cats. I applaud Jennifer for taking responsibility for them, and with all due respect, I am going to ignore your posts and simply answer her questions.

LAJ: In a perfect world, we would be able to feed all feral and strays a high quality, premium food. Heck, in a truly perfect world, there''d BE NO stray or feral cats needing care, but I digress!

I think it''s WONDERFUL that you have taken responsibility for these poor babies, and want to feed them the best you can. Good for you! But please don''t feel guilty for being realistic and recognizing that there''s only so much money in the budget that you can allot for their food. Buy what you can, sweetie... personally, I think they''d do just fine on Purina. And again, bless you! xoxo

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Buy what you can, when you can. Hopefully they will be placed in homes soon!

I doubt they are truly feral as well, they probably wouldn''t even come near you if that were the case.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purina Cat Chow is just FINE. I feed it to two of my cats who are not on a special diet. For canned food, I use Friskies or Fancy Feast. I doubt the male cat needs canned food, however. If he is drinking excessive amounts of water, this may indicate a medical issue. When one my cats started drinking excessively, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem through blood work. I would keep on eye on him for a few days to confirm that he is drinking a lot.

Are they coming inside? Are pictures a possibility? (hint, hint)

36.gif
Good for you for taking care of them!!
36.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for helping those babies out. If they''ll let you get close already odds are they were dumped. Lots of people lose interest after the kitten stage.
face24.gif

I''d keep up the cat chow. I''d also have a vet check to make sure they''re neutered or two will turn into many. You''re a good soul!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 6:29:24 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Purina Cat Chow is just FINE. I feed it to two of my cats who are not on a special diet. For canned food, I use Friskies or Fancy Feast. I doubt the male cat needs canned food, however. If he is drinking excessive amounts of water, this may indicate a medical issue. When one my cats started drinking excessively, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem through blood work. I would keep on eye on him for a few days to confirm that he is drinking a lot.

Are they coming inside? Are pictures a possibility? (hint, hint)

36.gif
Good for you for taking care of them!!
36.gif

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Kenny's link is actually very good - it says to do pretty much what I've been doing (how to feed them, finding Trap Neuter Release programs, etc). I had already found an excellent organization in the Los Angeles area called FixNation.Org. They loan traps, neuter, vaccinate, etc. all for free. They then cut off the tip of the right ear so that they may be identified that they have been fixed (like the boy kitty outside).

I just went outside to see them. He wasn't around but she was. She spoke to me today - gave 2 soft meows and hung out for a little while. I took her picture for all of you. Oh, and I named her Louise.

IMGLouisesiamese.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 7:45:00 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Kenny''s link is actually very good - it says to do pretty much what I''ve been doing (how to feed them, finding Trap Neuter Release programs, etc). I had already found an excellent organization in the Los Angeles area called FixNation.Org. They loan traps, neuter, vaccinate, etc. all for free. They then cut off the tip of the right ear so that they may be identified that they have been fixed (like the boy kitty outside).

I just went outside to see them. He wasn''t around but she was. She spoke to me today - gave 2 soft meows and hung out for a little while. I took her picture for all of you. Oh, and I named her Louise.
Oh, Louise is beautiful!!! She does look quite healthy in that photo, too. I hope you can get a picture of the other one, too. I wonder if she''s spayed? It doesn''t look like her ear is nipped? Poor babies... life is so hard on the streets. So many dangers. Again, thank you for caring for these two helpless kitties.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 8:01:20 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 3/6/2010 7:45:00 PM

Author: LAJennifer

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Kenny''s link is actually very good - it says to do pretty much what I''ve been doing (how to feed them, finding Trap Neuter Release programs, etc). I had already found an excellent organization in the Los Angeles area called FixNation.Org. They loan traps, neuter, vaccinate, etc. all for free. They then cut off the tip of the right ear so that they may be identified that they have been fixed (like the boy kitty outside).

I just went outside to see them. He wasn''t around but she was. She spoke to me today - gave 2 soft meows and hung out for a little while. I took her picture for all of you. Oh, and I named her Louise.

Oh, Louise is beautiful!!! She does look quite healthy in that photo, too. I hope you can get a picture of the other one, too. I wonder if she''s spayed? It doesn''t look like her ear is nipped? Poor babies... life is so hard on the streets. So many dangers. Again, thank you for caring for these two helpless kitties.

Hi Lynn. No, her ear is not nipped like the boy kitty. I''m guessing that she is female (either that or she is a male that was neutered very young). I''m trying to determine if she has been spayed. If she was a former pet, then my guess is that she has been. FWIW, my indoor spayed female goes nuts whenever there are unaltered females outside and my indoor neutered male pines away at the windows at the same unaltered females. Neither of my pets are bothered by Louise being right outside (or the boy kitty - I named him Wellington). I haven''t seen any signs of her being in heat or pregnant. She doesn''t roam and she''s pretty mellow. As soon as she lets me "handle" her, I will get her to the vet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, this thread got me thinking.
There are some strays around our house.

I think I will look into that trap/fix/release program since I'm in the LA area too.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Might as well be part of the solution.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 8:59:17 PM
Author: kenny
You know, this thread got me thinking.

There are some strays around our house.

I think I will look into that trap/fix/release program since I''m in the LA area too.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Might as well be part of the solution.

Yes, Kenny! Let me know if you want some help (I have a lot of free time). The website is www.fixnation.org
They are located near the Burbank airport.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty kitty!!

How wonderful that you''re feeding them, and trying to take care of them
1.gif

We have a flashing light over our door that attracts ferals, too, apparently. We''ve had 4 in the last six months. We feed them costco food and off-brand wet, and purina kitten chow if they seem particularly young or thin. You''re doing a wonderful thing - and they don''t need premium brand food, they just need food

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh what a love. If you can get her into a vet... some siamese can have tatoos from their breeders. She looks amazing actually. I would talk to a local rescue for siamese and send them her pic. You might find out about her... heck she could be chipped. Jennifer you rock. As for food, whatever you can feed them. I would try for a nice EVO Instinct if you can afford it, if you can''t then just whatever you can manage.

((HUGS))

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Yssie and Gypsy.

Gypsy - great idea about a Siamese Rescue. I just sent an email with a pic to a Southern Cali Siamese group. We''ll see what happens. Thanks!

Yssie - I just checked out the Costco Kirkland Cat food. The ingredients look really good and I believe it is about $12 for a 25 lb bag. Is that correct? I wonder how my cats would do on that? Electra is a very active 11 year old in perfect health and Seth is lazy but still plays with toys and chases Electra around the house. He is 10 years old and has had urinary tract problems in the past. He can also get chubby if I don''t watch it. Here is the ingredient list (for those who may be interested):

Ingredients (Kirkland):
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacine, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium idodie, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer, what a sweet looking cat! I have never seen a feral pedigree cat, but I suppose it''s possible. My own cat was a feral kitten and he''ll never be a housepet, but he''s happy in our garden and conservatory. I feed him purina, as our vet recommended it for him. I did take him to the vet to be neutered and he is vaccinated annually (very much agains his wishes lol). He''s become a very affectionate little kitty and is now very much our pet, he just likes outside space.

Kenny, cats are pets to most people, there''s a bit of emotional attachment to species as well as individuals. Most cat lovers will try to help a feral cat that has adopted them like this, right or wrong.
2.gif

Jen

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2010 5:02:06 PM
Author:LAJennifer
There are 2 kitties outside that showed up about 2 weeks ago. They look to be between 1 and 2 years of age. A girl and a boy (I think) that look like they are probably litter mates. She looks seal point siamese and he has color points with tabbie markings. They found a good shelter and I''ve been feeding them. The boy kitty has his right ear tipped (the tip is cut off) which indicates Trap Neuter Release. She looks great, with big clear eyes and clean ears - he has conjunctivitis, dirty ears, and just an overall messy appearance. He is more skittish than her - but both are pretty comfortable with me (she ate catnip out of my hand yesterday).

If they were truly feral, would they let me get so close in just a week and a half? Is it possible somebody just dumped them? Anyway, I plan to keep taking care of them, try to tame them and find them homes.

My 2 indoor cats are fed Eukanuba and prescription food from the vet. I''ve been feeding the feral cats plain Purina Cat Chow in the blue bag. I kind of feel guilty that I''m not giving them premium food. Though a few years ago when one of my cats was having a problem with loose stool, the vet put her on cat chow to clear it up. It worked and the vet said that Purina Cat Chow is a pretty nutritious food.

Also the boy kitty is drinking LOTS of water. I''m thinking he may need wet food. Can anyone recommend fairly nutritious/inexpensive brands?

These kitties are so sweet. It just breaks my heart to see kitties without homes.

My sister is a veterinarian and says that Friskies wet food from Costco is nutritious and fine for the cats. And very reasonably priced as well. Something like $9.89 for 24 5.5 oz cans.

Thanks for helping these precious kitties!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Yay, she let me pet her today. She has the softest meow. Won''t be long . . .

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am new to cats (only had Gracie for about 8 months or so). I never understood the whole ''cat thing'' until I got her.
30.gif
I love how you are helping these kitties to have some good food in their tummies. You are an angel for doing this and they will appreciate you for it. I feed Gracie Purina dry food and she is fit and healthy. I wish I could chip in and help you with the cost of feeding these little ones.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer - Louise is just g
30.gif
rge
30.gif
s!! If you were CTJennifer, you and I would have to talk! Thank you for posting her photo. She will find a home in no time.

So interesting what you posted about the trap/neuter/release program. I had never heard of the ear-clipping before, so I didn''t understand what you meant in your first post. Sounds like a wonderful program!

Have you seen Wellington today?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re. costco dry - all the vets in the area seem to recommend the Kirkland stuff. Apparently it''s quite good for them (unless they have specific needs or are very young or old) and it''s fabulously cheap!! We used it with great results for a few months - for some reason our boy won''t touch it anymore though, and the other two prefer other brands if they have a choice, so we can''t use it anymore
7.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 5:24:06 PM
Author: Maisie
I am new to cats (only had Gracie for about 8 months or so). I never understood the whole ''cat thing'' until I got her.
30.gif
I love how you are helping these kitties to have some good food in their tummies. You are an angel for doing this and they will appreciate you for it. I feed Gracie Purina dry food and she is fit and healthy. I wish I could chip in and help you with the cost of feeding these little ones.

Maise, Gracie is lucky to have a mommy like you. I think the kitties will by fine on the Purina. I may run out and get them some Friskies canned as well.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 6:10:58 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
LAJennifer - Louise is just g
30.gif
rge
30.gif
s!! If you were CTJennifer, you and I would have to talk! Thank you for posting her photo. She will find a home in no time.

So interesting what you posted about the trap/neuter/release program. I had never heard of the ear-clipping before, so I didn''t understand what you meant in your first post. Sounds like a wonderful program!

Have you seen Wellington today?

Loves Vintage - maybe I can bring her to you.
31.gif
I saw Wellington this evening and got some pics. He is much cuter than the pics look. I will post a few for you guys. He looks like he has some conjunctivitis in his eyes. I will see if I can get some antibiotics for him (I''ll take his picture to my vet). I got another good pic of Louise too. Here she is.

Louise21.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Here is Wellington - you can see his ear is tipped. In California, they tip the right ear. In all the other states, they tip the left ear.

Wellington131.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
More of Wellington - you can see his eyes are irritated. You can''t really tell from the pic, but his eyes are a beautiful ice blue.

Wellingtonconjunctivitis21.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait until I can give him a hug.

Wellington121.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that is a cat bed in the background. Louise won''t let Wellington sleep in it.

Wellington161.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
And so my indoor babies don''t get jealous . . . here are Electra and Seth. Electra is a blue Abyssinian and Seth is a bronze Egyptian Mau. Seth gave Louise his kitty bed - he prefers the sofa anyway.

ElectraSeth1.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Poor Sethie doesn''t have whiskers because Electra chews them off.

ElectraSeth21.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results