shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a Cocktail Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen discussions on here referencing cocktail rings, and it made me curious as to whether we were being consistent or even accurate in our perceptions of what a cocktail ring really is. So I did a little research and came up with the following information regarding the history and definition as well as some links with examples of cocktail rings. The definition basically boils down to a large ring, often with a large center stone and pave diamond accents.

"The cocktail ring is meant to be a dramatic large ring, worn at cocktail parties. The cocktail ring was especially popular to wear during US prohibition at illegal cocktail parties. Such a ring flaunted not only the fact that one was drinking illegally, but also that one was doing it with style.
Popularity of the cocktail ring gained in the 1940s and 1950s, as cocktail parties continued to be popular events. Although cocktail parties are less common now, wearing a cocktail ring with huge diamonds or other large precious or semi-precious gems is still popular for formal dressy occasions, and especially for events like premieres of films, Broadway theater productions, or award shows like the Oscars or Emmys......

Even in the heyday of the cocktail ring, not all could afford to purchase huge diamonds. Other stones like amethysts, garnets, peridot, and blue topaz became popular substitutions since they were of far less expense. Today this trend continues, with many a cocktail ring having a large central stone of a less expensive gem. The larger the stone, the more easily one can spot flaws. It may be possible however to order a setting, and then purchase a loose stone of the quality and size one wants.
If one is purchasing a loose stone for a cocktail ring, one should consider a stone of at least three carats, and preferably five or more carats. The general rule is that the bigger the stone, the better. The cocktail ring is supposed to catch and dazzle the eye. It is also supposed to be opulent and overdone."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cocktail-ring.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good info DS!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 9:40:33 AM
Author:diamondseeker2006

I have seen discussions on here referencing cocktail rings, and it made me curious as to whether we were being consistent or even accurate in our perceptions of what a cocktail ring really is. So I did a little research and came up with the following information regarding the history and definition as well as some links with examples of cocktail rings. The definition basically boils down to a large ring, often with a large center stone and pave diamond accents.

''The cocktail ring is meant to be a dramatic large ring, worn at cocktail parties. The cocktail ring was especially popular to wear during US prohibition at illegal cocktail parties. Such a ring flaunted not only the fact that one was drinking illegally, but also that one was doing it with style.

Popularity of the cocktail ring gained in the 1940s and 1950s, as cocktail parties continued to be popular events. Although cocktail parties are less common now, wearing a cocktail ring with huge diamonds or other large precious or semi-precious gems is still popular for formal dressy occasions, and especially for events like premieres of films, Broadway theater productions, or award shows like the Oscars or Emmys......

Even in the heyday of the cocktail ring, not all could afford to purchase huge diamonds. Other stones like amethysts, garnets, peridot, and blue topaz became popular substitutions since they were of far less expense. Today this trend continues, with many a cocktail ring having a large central stone of a less expensive gem. The larger the stone, the more easily one can spot flaws. It may be possible however to order a setting, and then purchase a loose stone of the quality and size one wants.

If one is purchasing a loose stone for a cocktail ring, one should consider a stone of at least three carats, and preferably five or more carats. The general rule is that the bigger the stone, the better. The cocktail ring is supposed to catch and dazzle the eye. It is also supposed to be opulent and overdone.''

lol.gif
I love this!!

Reading the last paragraph, I realize I killed my "cocktail" ring...
yikes2.gif
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 9:48:33 AM
Author: Ellen
lol.gif
I love this!!

Reading the last paragraph, I realize I killed my ''cocktail'' ring...
yikes2.gif
9.gif
Lol! Yep, you had one but turned it into the most elegant and beautiful right hand ring!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 9:50:20 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

lol.gif
I love this!!

Reading the last paragraph, I realize I killed my 'cocktail' ring...
yikes2.gif
9.gif
Lol! Yep, you had one but turned it into the most elegant and beautiful right hand ring!
36.gif
rotflmao2.gif

T'was a worthy sacrifice though!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

lol.gif
I love this!!

yikes2.gif
9.gif
36.gif
Thanks ds, and I wouldn''t change a thing.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 9:53:21 AM

lol.gif
I love this!!

yikes2.gif
9.gif
36.gif
Thanks ds, and I wouldn''t change a thing.
2.gif
Me either. I may have been afraid of the idea at the beginning, but I''d much rather have the ring you have now!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats really interesting DS. I also love the message it sent out during prohibition!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 9:59:26 AM
Author: Maisie
Thats really interesting DS. I also love the message it sent out during prohibition!
Maisie, the history of it was a total surprise to me! That''s one reason I decided to post it!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:03:23 AM

Date: 6/7/2008 9:59:26 AM
Author: Maisie
Maisie, the history of it was a total surprise to me! That''s one reason I decided to post it!
I''m glad you did. I love anything like this!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this. I personally can never understand why people get so upset when others refer to their rings as cocktail rings. I guess the new politically correct term is "right hand ring", which of course is easier to type as RHR! I love the old-fashioned take on the term cocktail ring, flaunting it during Prohibition and all. But then I am a sucker for all things old-fashioned!

PS. I'll take one of those rubellite rings up top!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 9:52:47 AM
Author: Lorelei

lol.gif
I love this!!

yikes2.gif
9.gif
36.gif
rotflmao2.gif

T''was a worthy sacrifice though!
9.gif
Missed this before. Tankies, I agwee!
5.gif

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
DS- Thanks for the post. Great history! The term never really bothered me but now I think the little negative connotation it had is gone. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 10:08:34 AM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
Thanks for posting this. I personally can never understand why people get so upset when others refer to their rings as cocktail rings. I guess the new politically correct term is ''right hand ring'', which of course is easier to type as RHR! I love the old-fashioned take on the term cocktail ring, flaunting it during Prohibition and all. But then I am a sucker for all things old-fashioned!

PS. I''ll take one of those rubellite rings up top!
Yes, I saw all that controversy and I thought I''d clarify in my own mind whether I even was right about what a CR was. No one should be offended. People can certainly use a cocktail ring for an engagement ring if they prefer. I''d say Princess Diana''s large sapphire surrounded by diamonds would certainly be considered a cocktail ring if worn on the other hand. I guess I wanted to see if the term was still current, and it apparently is if Neiman Marcus has a whole page of designers with cocktail rings. That site with the rubellite ring has a lot of pretty gemstone rings!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a cocktail ring! I''ll take that haloed red one you posted a photo of. It''s beautiful and very much like a ton of rings on here. I don''t understand how calling a ring a cocktail ring is seen as bad.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:32:29 AM
Author: Addy
I want a cocktail ring! I''ll take that haloed red one you posted a photo of. It''s beautiful and very much like a ton of rings on here. I don''t understand how calling a ring a cocktail ring is seen as bad.
Me either. It reminds me of elegant parties, sipping cocktail''s with an adorned hand. What''s so bad about that? Ya got the ring, ya got the drink, what am I missing??
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:15:09 AM
Date: 6/7/2008 10:08:34 AM

Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

Thanks for posting this. I personally can never understand why people get so upset when others refer to their rings as cocktail rings. I guess the new politically correct term is ''right hand ring'', which of course is easier to type as RHR! I love the old-fashioned take on the term cocktail ring, flaunting it during Prohibition and all. But then I am a sucker for all things old-fashioned!

PS. I''ll take one of those rubellite rings up top!

Yes, I saw all that controversy and I thought I''d clarify in my own mind whether I even was right about what a CR was. No one should be offended. People can certainly use a cocktail ring for an engagement ring if they prefer. I''d say Princess Diana''s large sapphire surrounded by diamonds would certainly be considered a cocktail ring if worn on the other hand. I guess I wanted to see if the term was still current, and it apparently is if Neiman Marcus has a whole page of designers with cocktail rings. That site with the rubellite ring has a lot of pretty gemstone rings!

Totally agree with this...when I say cocktail ring I just mean a large opulent ring. It''s not a derogatory term in my book! It just conjures a certain image the same way saying something is a solitaire, three stone, etc. does.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock

''The cocktail ring is meant to be a dramatic large ring, worn at cocktail parties. The cocktail ring was especially popular to wear during US prohibition at illegal cocktail parties. Such a ring flaunted not only the fact that one was drinking illegally, but also that one was doing it with style.

If one is purchasing a loose stone for a cocktail ring, one should consider a stone of at least three carats, and preferably five or more carats. The general rule is that the bigger the stone, the better. The cocktail ring is supposed to catch and dazzle the eye. It is also supposed to be opulent and overdone.''

This is very interesting and informative.
I personally don''t mind if someone wants to call my RHR a cocktail ring, but it does offend me when someone calls my ering a cocktail ring.
One of the comments I received about my ring, is that it "looks more like a cocktail ring then an ering", and I found this insulting because I feel like it tries to take away the special meaning and symbolism of it.
Throughout history there have been many different styles of engagement rings from Georgian to Edwardian to Deco to the Tiffany solitaire, and now the Pave halo. Don''t they all deserved to be classified as engagement rings if that is what they are intended to be? Just my .02.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Cocktail rings are all of the above. When I think "cocktail ring" I tend to remember those diamond ballerina rings with tons of baguettes surrounding the center stone.

For a while there in the 80''s there were a lot of engagement rings that looked pretty cocktaily. Wide bands full of diamonds combining every shape possible and a center stone that was lost in the setting. Thankfully we''re past that now. I wonder if 30 years from now people will look at halos and think the same? I think halo rings show a lot more restraint myself.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:51:10 AM
Author: iluvcarats

If one is purchasing a loose stone for a cocktail ring, one should consider a stone of at least three carats, and preferably five or more carats. The general rule is that the bigger the stone, the better. The cocktail ring is supposed to catch and dazzle the eye. It is also supposed to be opulent and overdone.'

This is very interesting and informative.

I personally don't mind if someone wants to call my RHR a cocktail ring, but it does offend me when someone calls my ering a cocktail ring.

One of the comments I received about my ring, is that it 'looks more like a cocktail ring then an ering', and I found this insulting because I feel like it tries to take away the special meaning and symbolism of it.

Throughout history there have been many different styles of engagement rings from Georgian to Edwardian to Deco to the Tiffany solitaire, and now the Pave halo. Don't they all deserved to be classified as engagement rings if that is what they are intended to be? Just my .02.

I don't think that anyone wants to rehash this debate, but I think all we on the other side of the fence are saying is that calling something a cocktail ring conjures an image of a big opulent ring. That's it. No one means offense to it (at least I didn't). It is just like saying something is a solitaire, three stone, eternity band, etc. to me.

And to be fair you asked if your ring was too big. As others have mentioned, if all you said is "I love my ring and wanted to share!" NO ONE would have given opinions on the size/opulence of your ring. Here on PS when you ask for opinions, you'll get a ton of them and some you might not like. It's a part of asking for opinions. When you ask for love/admiration for your baubles, that's all you'll get too. So next time if you just want us all to say we love it, don't ask for opinions on it because we are a very opinionated bunch!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:55:54 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Cocktail rings are all of the above. When I think ''cocktail ring'' I tend to remember those diamond ballerina rings with tons of baguettes surrounding the center stone.

For a while there in the 80''s there were a lot of engagement rings that looked pretty cocktaily. Wide bands full of diamonds combining every shape possible and a center stone that was lost in the setting. Thankfully we''re past that now. I wonder if 30 years from now people will look at halos and think the same? I think halo rings show a lot more restraint myself.
2.gif

This helps me illustrate my point.
You say the rings "looked pretty cocktaily" "Thankfully we are past that now", which to me means cocktail means tacky and unappealing.
So referring to my engagement ring that way is insulting, and evokes negative connotation.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 11:01:42 AM

Cocktail rings are all of the above. When I think ''cocktail ring'' I tend to remember those diamond ballerina rings with tons of baguettes surrounding the center stone.

2.gif

You say the rings ''looked pretty cocktaily'' ''Thankfully we are past that now'', which to me means cocktail means tacky and unappealing.

So referring to my engagement ring that way is insulting, and evokes negative connotation.

I saw a stunning cocktail ring in Tiffany''s the other day and by all means there was nothing tacky about it, I could have rocked that puppy with pride
4.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I look at the rubellite ring posted, and I think neither opulent or overdone. Tasteful rather.....

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cocktail rings are all of the above. When I think 'cocktail ring' I tend to remember those diamond ballerina rings with tons of baguettes surrounding the center stone.

For a while there in the 80's there were a lot of engagement rings that looked pretty cocktaily. Wide bands full of diamonds combining every shape possible and a center stone that was lost in the setting. Thankfully we're past that now. I wonder if 30 years from now people will look at halos and think the same? I think halo rings show a lot more restraint myself.
2.gif

You say the rings 'looked pretty cocktaily' 'Thankfully we are past that now', which to me means cocktail means tacky and unappealing.

I don't think it does...she's saying that in reference to the "Wide bands full of diamonds combining every shape possible and a center stone that was lost in the setting" that were so popular in the 80's, NOT delicate beautiful cocktail rings. Just a certain kind of cocktail ring, not all of them.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 11:18:33 AM
Author: neatfreak

2.gif

You say the rings ''looked pretty cocktaily'' ''Thankfully we are past that now'', which to me means cocktail means tacky and unappealing.

I don''t think it does...she''s saying that in reference to the ''Wide bands full of diamonds combining every shape possible and a center stone that was lost in the setting'' that were so popular in the 80''s, NOT delicate beautiful cocktail rings. Just a certain kind of cocktail ring, not all of them.

OH. So you are saying that there are different types of cocktail rings, and you liked mine....
I stand by my original opinion. I still find referring to someone''s e-ring as a cocktail ring insulting.
If I insulted someone, even if I didn''t mean to, I would just apologize, because I would feel bad for having insulted them....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 11:00:01 AM
Author: neatfreak

I don''t think that anyone wants to rehash this debate, but I think all we on the other side of the fence are saying is that calling something a cocktail ring conjures an image of a big opulent ring. That''s it. No one means offense to it (at least I didn''t). It is just like saying something is a solitaire, three stone, eternity band, etc. to me.

totally agree with this. I use it to describe a style and it''s not meant to offend. heck, folks will probably call my ring a cocktail ring and I don''t really care. I love it, wear it as an e-ring and that''s all that really matters
1.gif

thanks DS for doing the research. that is very interesting and funny
9.gif
my ring definitely is a cocktail ring them..hehe..

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t care what it''s called or where it came from if it''s pretty it''s pretty and that''s that.

Do people across the globe have such definitions? Or is this a US thing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results