shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you eaten today?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I thought this might be fun, to see what everyone's eating habits are...do you graze, do you eat big meals, are you a healthy eater? This is kind of a follow up to the "Do you watch what you eat" thread a while back. I feel like I eat a lot compared to the average female.
BE AS ACCURATE AND TRUTHFUL AS POSSIBLE!

I'll go first. I mentioned that I eat fairly healthy, but eat way too much of everything.

Breakfast:Organic Multigrain oatmeal with pecans and maple syrup (1 serving pouch microwaved with 1/2 cup milk), coffee with flavoured non-dairy creamer

Snack:A handful of pretzels

Lunch:Store-bought gourmet Cobb salad. 14 oz (almost a whole lb!!!) included, Turkey, egg, olives, bacon bits, romaine lettuce and grape tomatoes. It had a creamy ranch type dressing

Afternoon snack:
One honey-crisp apple, abd 3 more pretzels

Dinner:
Planning to go out for Korean Soontubu (it's like a tofu hotpot/casserole)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breakfast - cup of "instant" (Starbucks via) coffee with two french vanilla creamers (I fully realize those don't count as *food* in any sense of the word)

Lunch - half of the left over ribs from last night's dinner

Snack - the other half of the left over ribs

Snack again - small pack of doritos cool ranch

Snack again (hey, why the he!! not!) - microwave popcorn

Now - on my second glass of prosecco

I slept on a yoga mat last night and the movers arrived with my stuff before 7 am... I'm doing the best that I can right now!

OH, and just ordered $89 worth of Indian food for us to have for dinner. Please hurry Mr. Deliveryman, it's been a LONNNNNNG day...

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Fun topic!

Morning: 2 cups tea + a bowl of Snapea crisps

Lunch: Big bowl of rajma (Indian kidney bean curry)

Evening: 1 cup tea + a Planters 'Big Nut bar' chocolate-peanut

Dinner: Going out with friends for Ethiopian food, will have injera (yum!!!) and any vegetarian lentils and veggies.

Will probably come home and have tea again. (I know, I know, I drink a LOT OF TEA!) :devil:

I usually also have a midnight snack - it's usually hot buttered toast.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have proper meals at proper times with snacks in between.
I just eat anything any time of the day, paying no attention to what's usually eaten for breakfast or for dinner.
My SO and I almost never eat together.

Quaker's old fashioned oatmeal made with nonfat milk, frozen Costco blueberries, chopped dates and Saigon cinnamon.
A banana
Two scrambled eggs, ham and whole wheat toast with butter
Huge glass of milk
Glass of Costco Paul Newman red grape juice
Around 10 tortilla chips
I just killed one large glass of wine, merlot.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait--I forgot that at some point I also had a cinnamon role as big as my head. I only hate half though. So make that a cinnamon roll half as big as my head.

Ximena

Rough_Rock
Let's see....

Breakfast: Small bowl of oatmeal made with water, banana and cinnamon with a tiny bit of honey.
Snack: Fresh mango and pineapple, chopped. Water.
Lunch: Medium bowl of lentil soup with a handful of spinach on top :lickout: water.
Snack: 4 Nabisco ginger snap cookies & water.
Larger snack: Apple-pear smoothie made with plain yogurt.
Around 7 I will have a fish taco with a large salad and probably have another snack before going to bed: two sheets of graham crackers, goldfish, kale chips or stuffed figs.
ETA: I eat every 3 hours, yes even when I'm not hungry :confused:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited to share after having an awesome take-out dinner!

Breakfast was this instant oatmeal+quinoa+nuts+cranberry in a cup thing that I added 2 half&halfs to, and 1 k-cup type espresso with 2 half&halfs and 1 sugar

Lunch was 2/3 of a "chicken melt" hero, which has in it fried chicken cutlet, melted cheddar, cole slaw and russian dressing

DINNER!!! - fried chicken - wing and thigh, a heaping Tbsp of mac and cheese with andouille sausage and pulled pork, a tsp of red beans and rice, a tsp of bbq baked beans with brisket, and 2 binets with powdered sugar lightly dunked in warm maple syrup. Now I'm chasing it all with this 3-1 instant coffee with a tap of Starbucks Via in it for the extra caffeine bite.

Special dinner as our pre-game for a special concert - THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! :appl: :appl: I don't listen to them nowadays, but it's the tween/teen in me that this completes. I have two cassette tapes of theirs that's in a shoe box under my old bed. If they perform Birdhouse, I will melt into a mess of tears. I'll probably cry when they come on stage in general. I'm becoming an old, nostalgic sap! :naughty: :errrr: :nono:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Breakfast: Cereal with milk, small glass of OJ
Snack: Dried cranberry trail mix
Lunch: Big bowl of crushed lentil soup
(this thread just made me realize I forgot to eat the strawberries I brought to work and I left them in the fridge! :(( )
Snack: Chobani raspberry yogurt
Snack: More trail mix
Snack: A banana
Dinner: Cheese ravioli with meat sauce, steamed broccoli, and a cheesy breadstick
Snack: Bowl of strawberries

Bella432

Rough_Rock
Let's see, it is a Friday which means my eating healthy isn't even taken into consideration, as early celebration of the weekend..

Breakfast, pepsi max. Lunch, a couple shrimp dumplings. Snack, cappuchino and boston creme donut. Later for supper I've got a dark orange chocolate bar waiting, and I might grab a pizza or go for fajitas and a beer. :naughty:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Seeing all these posts about wine and beer made me realize I forgot it's FRIDAY!!!!!!!

That means 2 glasses of wine for me tonight!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I graze and eat every couple of hours...

Today, I've had at least six to eight 16 oz bottles of water spread throughout the day.

Breakfast: english muffin, left over chicken breast from crockpot meal, 2 diet cokes
Lunch: 3/4th of a roast beef sandwich
Snack: 1 slice of Dave's Killer Bread with turkey breast
Snack: 1 cup of organic popped popcorn
Then I made dinner for my kids and took a bite of each thing - a bite of organic vegetarian burrito, one BIG bite of Annie's Mac/Cheese, and 1" square bite of uncured bacon.

This isn't my typical day. I usually snack on bits of things in the kitchen at random times. A couple crackers here or there. I also usually also have a clif bar after working out and a fruit smoothie during the afternoon, but today was my first day not exercising in 8 days so I didn't have those b/c I'm not as hungry.

Later, I plan to cook up some sort of meat. Not sure what, yet, but it will be organic and at least 6 oz to make sure I get enough protein. Then I'll add a carb...not sure what yet and am going to wash that down with 2-3 more bottles of water and a couple of beers.

I might also cook up an Amy's frozen pizza for my son and if so, will nibble on that a bit.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Today was not a "normal" day for me, as I spent the entire day at the Specialty Vet.

But, since you asked, today I had:

A bowl of Total Whole Grain with vanilla almond milk
A cheese and egg pita sandwich
A bag of Ritz cheese crackers
A few slices of pizza

Like I said, not a typical day. I normally eat a low carb/high protein vegetarian diet of about 1200-1400 calories, spacing it over 3 meals and 2 snacks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubyshoes|1363993738|3411402 said:
I usually also have a midnight snack - it's usually hot buttered toast.

oooh, I LOVE toast at night! lol Sourdough toasted and w/coconut oil on it! :love:

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1363994871|3411418 said:
I'm so excited to share after having an awesome take-out dinner!

Breakfast was this instant oatmeal+quinoa+nuts+cranberry in a cup thing that I added 2 half&halfs to, and 1 k-cup type espresso with 2 half&halfs and 1 sugar

Lunch was 2/3 of a "chicken melt" hero, which has in it fried chicken cutlet, melted cheddar, cole slaw and russian dressing

DINNER!!! - fried chicken - wing and thigh, a heaping Tbsp of mac and cheese with andouille sausage and pulled pork, a tsp of red beans and rice, a tsp of bbq baked beans with brisket, and 2 binets with powdered sugar lightly dunked in warm maple syrup. Now I'm chasing it all with this 3-1 instant coffee with a tap of Starbucks Via in it for the extra caffeine bite.

Special dinner as our pre-game for a special concert - THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!!! :appl: :appl: I don't listen to them nowadays, but it's the tween/teen in me that this completes. I have two cassette tapes of theirs that's in a shoe box under my old bed. If they perform Birdhouse, I will melt into a mess of tears. I'll probably cry when they come on stage in general. I'm becoming an old, nostalgic sap! :naughty: :errrr: :nono:
Wow!! Enjoy the show!! Brings me right back to 1990-1991. I wish I still had my cassettes....oh nostalgia!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It hasn't been a good day, food wise.

Breakfast: half of a breakfast burrito and coffee with lots of Coffee-mate.
Lunch: salad with hummus as the dressing and 1/2 a hard-boiled egg.
Dinner: 2 pieces of cheese pizza, light on the cheese.
Snack: 4 or 5 white cheddar rice cakes.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay, I love Indian food. My friends and I were just talking about going out for lunch next weekend and I can't wait. :lickout:

Rubyshoes, I've never had Ethiopian food before. I don't live in a very diverse area and I think the closest Ethopian restaurant near us is about an hour or so away.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luna protein bar
pita pocket with roasted pine nut hummus, baby greens, cucumber, red pepper, kalamata olives
buffalo tempeh with peppers and onions
green beans with garlic and mushrooms
64 ounces of water throughout the day
2 glasses of pinot grigio

This is actually a pretty typical day for me. I've been vegetarian forever and finally made the leap to vegan several weeks ago, and am feeling really great and seeing some benefits. My job is located in the middle of a ton of awesome restaurants as well as independent grocers who have fantastic hot bars and individual portions of raw foods, etc. It is really easy and cheap for me to eat healthy meals, and a lot of days I'll do our grocery shopping on my break. We eat so much fresh produce that we shop every other day at this point. Cannot WAIT til my garden starts producing this year.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
brkfast -- protein shake
snack -- Fage nonfat yogurt w/fresh blueberries & walnuts
late lunch -- homemade soup w/canellini beans, kale, carrots
dinner -- nonfat cottage cheese & an avocado
snack -- 2 lowfat graham crackers with nutella

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Cool.

Breakfast: cold roast chicken sliced, frozen blueberries, flax crackers, cherry tomatoes, cup of rooibos tea followed by cup of coffee with cream and honey.

Lunch: sliced cold roast chicken, smoked edam, smoothie with fruit and berries, few flax crackers, glass of water

Snack: oatmeal hazelnut granola cookies (2), almonds, tangerine, and halvah (chocolate flavor), 2 cups green tea.

Supper: salmon burger with some sharp cheddar melted on top (no bun), romaine, celery, cucumber, grilled asparagus, grapes and another piece of halvah (pistachio).

It's weird to read what you eat...kinda like watching the conveyor at the grocery store with other people's orders...

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64, I have been vegetarian since forever and turned vegan 6 years ago. Good to meet another vegan! :appl:

Zoe, we have great Ethiopian food in Chicago. I love the cuisine, it is just delicious. If you are ever visiting Chi, please visit Ethiopian Diamond (2 locations) for lunch or dinner. That's where we went tonight.

MC, my favorite is Breadsmith's Rustic Italian with Smart Balance slathered on top. Hehe!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I've actually been thinking about how bad my eating habits have been lately. Putting it down only makes it more obvious.

6am: Glass of milk with nescafe.

9am: Apple juice

11am: Bowl of baby cereal (yes, I like it)

2pm: Cookie

5:30pm: Dinner (plate of penne, with tomatoes, mascarpone, cheese, and chicken - glass of coke)

8pm: two cookies

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My weekday meals are very different than weekend meals but having said that here is exactly what I ate yesterday (Friday). First thing in the AM I had 2 cups of black coffee with some stevita. I had a banana, almonds and walnuts in the mid AM hours. In the afternoon we were running errands so I just grabbed a handful of more nuts and ate them throughout the afternoon (can you tell I love almonds and walnuts :lickout: ).

At Costco (late afternoon) we had some yummy samples-black bean vegan burger sample, baked fish stick sample, dark chocolate covered pomegranate (double yum!). Then we got home and discovered the hot water heater at the beach house wasn't working and had to get an emergency plumber but we still managed to have dinner and dessert while waiting for the emergency plumber.

My dh made delicious grilled langostino and grilled onions that we added to spinach salad and avocado. Delicious. And later in the evening I had air popped popcorn while we watched a movie on netflix- Accidents Happen. Sort of depressing but took my mind off waiting for the plumber! Who arrived at 11pm and fixed it! YAY! :appl:
I was not looking forward to entertaining a houseful of guests today with no hot water plus it's too cold to wash my long hair in ice cold water today so I am very relieved!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1364007990|3411571 said:
Luna protein bar
pita pocket with roasted pine nut hummus, baby greens, cucumber, red pepper, kalamata olives

This is actually a pretty typical day for me. I've been vegetarian forever and finally made the leap to vegan several weeks ago, and am feeling really great and seeing some benefits. My job is located in the middle of a ton of awesome restaurants as well as independent grocers who have fantastic hot bars and individual portions of raw foods, etc. It is really easy and cheap for me to eat healthy meals, and a lot of days I'll do our grocery shopping on my break. We eat so much fresh produce that we shop every other day at this point. Cannot WAIT til my garden starts producing this year.

rubyshoes said:
monarch64, I have been vegetarian since forever and turned vegan 6 years ago. Good to meet another vegan! :appl:

Zoe, we have great Ethiopian food in Chicago. I love the cuisine, it is just delicious. If you are ever visiting Chi, please visit Ethiopian Diamond (2 locations) for lunch or dinner. That's where we went tonight.

MC, my favorite is Breadsmith's Rustic Italian with Smart Balance slathered on top. Hehe!

You go guys!!! :appl: I vacillate b/w being a vegan and being a pescetarian. If dh would be onboard it would be vegan all the way. All through my late teens and 20's I was a vegan but it was difficult to maintain when we were eating out so much. These days I am usually vegan through the winter (lots of black beans and garbanzo beans) but once the spring/summer comes I am usually a full fledged pescetarian and in fact, yesterday was my first fish dish in a long while.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea how fascinating it would be to read what people eat?!!

Yesterday (Friday) I ate:
Breakfast: All Bran cereal with flax seeds, sunflower seeds, skimmed milk & a chopped banana.
Lunch: mixed salad with BBQ chicken breast & a chive dressing.
Dinner: grilled steak on a bed of stir fry veg (shredded cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, red pepper, chilli, mushrooms & a big dollop of light cream cheese stirred through instead of a sauce).
Snacks: Some mango, almonds & walnuts.
Also 3 glasses of Sav Blanc in the evening.

Generally I eat healthily, exercise & keep my weight steady. Around 80% of our produce is organic & we always cook from scratch. But so night its Saturday & will be fish & chips & more wine :naughty:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Luna protein bar

Wine fining, from Wikipedia:
"Organic compounds used as fining agents are generally animal based, a possible cause of concern to vegans.[6] The most common organic compounds used include egg whites, casein derived from milk, gelatin and isinglass obtained from the bladders of fish. Pulverized minerals and solid materials can also be used, with bentonite clay being one of the most common, thanks to its effectiveness in absorbing proteins and some bacteria. Activated carbon from charcoal is used to remove some phenols that contribute to browning as well as some particles that produce "off-odors" in the wine.[4] In a process known as blue fining, potassium ferrocyanide is sometimes used to remove any copper and iron particles that have entered the wine from bentonite, metal winery and vineyard equipment, or vineyard sprays such as Bordeaux mixture. Because potassium ferrocyanide may form hydrogen cyanide its use is highly regulated and, in many wine producing countries, illegal.[7] Silica and kaolin are also sometimes used.[4]
Some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, have wine labeling laws that require the use of fining agents that may be an allergenic substance to appear on the wine label. A study conducted by the University of California, Davis Department of Viticulture and Enology, however, found that no detectable amount of inorganic fining agents, and only trace quantities of proteinaceous agents, are left in the wine.[4]"

I'm not sure if you knew this, or if it bothers you. By the way, is there a tasty vegan cheese? I love cheese.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1364074869|3411922 said:
Luna protein bar

Wine fining, from Wikipedia:
"Organic compounds used as fining agents are generally animal based, a possible cause of concern to vegans.[6] The most common organic compounds used include egg whites, casein derived from milk, gelatin and isinglass obtained from the bladders of fish. Pulverized minerals and solid materials can also be used, with bentonite clay being one of the most common, thanks to its effectiveness in absorbing proteins and some bacteria. Activated carbon from charcoal is used to remove some phenols that contribute to browning as well as some particles that produce "off-odors" in the wine.[4] In a process known as blue fining, potassium ferrocyanide is sometimes used to remove any copper and iron particles that have entered the wine from bentonite, metal winery and vineyard equipment, or vineyard sprays such as Bordeaux mixture. Because potassium ferrocyanide may form hydrogen cyanide its use is highly regulated and, in many wine producing countries, illegal.[7] Silica and kaolin are also sometimes used.[4]
Some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, have wine labeling laws that require the use of fining agents that may be an allergenic substance to appear on the wine label. A study conducted by the University of California, Davis Department of Viticulture and Enology, however, found that no detectable amount of inorganic fining agents, and only trace quantities of proteinaceous agents, are left in the wine.[4]"

I'm not sure if you knew this, or if it bothers you. By the way, is there a tasty vegan cheese? I love cheese.

I appreciate the information. My advance into eating a vegan diet has more to do with getting my weight to a healthier point right now and less to do with the ethical side of things, so I'm ok with the wine fining thing although I'm not happy to learn it.
I tried "vegetarian" cheese once (it still had casein listed as an ingredient) and it wasn't very good. I am trying to mentally cure myself of my cheese addiction and substitutes won't help me with that, so I just don't pursue them. (Kind of like using electric cigarettes to quit smoking, kwim?)

Rubyshoes, not only do we have food preferences in common, but I am a giant lover of all things Oz. ;))

Missy! I didn't realize you were vegan/pescatarian! I also love seafood but we live in the Midwest so now I only eat it when we're on a coast, which is so infrequent I don't even call myself pescatarian anymore. My husband is also vegetarian but he'll never get rid of cheese!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch, I'm glad I didn't ruin wine for you. :)) I only found out recently after buying a bottle of New Zealand wine that said 'vegan' in the fine print. I thought it was a bit daft, like declaring broccoli to be gluten free or something. So I googled, and lo and behold I found egg fining.
I'm not surprised to hear that vegan cheese is gross, it looks odd. You must have some pretty strong will power to give up cheese!

My food today:
Huge chai tea and some mango slices.
Grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.
Brownie.
Chicken and zucchini patties with lentils and green beans.
Mini chocolate eggs.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Wow- that was an interesting read. Living in TX I always feel like I stick out like a sore thumb since my diet does NOT consist of BBQ and fries hardly ever....(besides the fact I don't eat heavy meats since I went pescetarian about 10 years ago from vegetarian for 15 years).

I try to follow a somewhat low-carb diet (LM- would love to hear more about yours!) and today was fairly typical:

Breakfast- water, cranberry juice, a cup of Sumatran decaf with non dairy creamer (hubs thinks it's an abomination to his fantastically made coffee, and it is...oh well...) and a bowl of fruit "cereal" (dried and fresh fruit with milk)

Snack- chocolate milk (sorry, I'm such a baby!), chedddar rice crackers that were left from yesterday

snack- 2 cups popcorn, 1 digestive biscuit (chocolate covered)

lunch- cup of soup, rice cake with cheese

snack- fruit smoothie packet

snack - sugar free cookie, chamomile tea

goodness...look at all those snacks....

dinner: veggie burger, corn on the cob (fresh shucked! YUM!), leftover apple crumble I made the other day

and now I am hungry.... :rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1364096593|3412123 said:
Monarch, I'm glad I didn't ruin wine for you. :)) I only found out recently after buying a bottle of New Zealand wine that said 'vegan' in the fine print. I thought it was a bit daft, like declaring broccoli to be gluten free or something. So I googled, and lo and behold I found egg fining.
I'm not surprised to hear that vegan cheese is gross, it looks odd. You must have some pretty strong will power to give up cheese!

My food today:
Huge chai tea and some mango slices.
Grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.
Brownie.
Chicken and zucchini patties with lentils and green beans.
Mini chocolate eggs.

Not at all! This is why I love PS--I learn something new almost every time I check in here. I really do appreciate the information you posted. While it won't stop me from drinking wine, it has planted a seed and now I'll probably research the topic to death which will be fun and hopefully productive. A tasting room of a local winery that sells all over the Midwest just opened up a few doors down from where I work, and I'm actually excited to go in and pick their brains about how they fine their wine! :bigsmile:

I am also really enjoying reading about what everyone eats. I wish we had a subforum devoted to food--regional, international, carnivorous, omnivorous, vegetarian, etc. Oh, the fun we could have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results