shape
carat
color
clarity

The Engagement Clock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
My paternal grandparents were Mennonites (I live in Lancaster, PA, land of the Amish and Mennonite) and as a token of their engagement, Grandpa presented Grandma with the customary mantle clock. They had four children -- two girls and two boys. As they began to grow up, each child was kicked out of the Mennonite church for various reasons (getting pregnant or getting a girl pregnant out-of-wedlock), driving a car with chrome, whitewalls, and a radio, dating a girl who wore pants and had short hair, etc. Eventually my grandparents left their church, too. As the years went by, Grandma even cut her hair short, wore slacks, and got her motorcycle liscence!! And for their 50th wedding anniversary, Grandpa bought Grandma a 1 carat round diamond solitaire on a YG Tiffany-style band. She wore it proudly until the day she died, some 75 years after she was married.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great story! I would love to see a picture of the mantle clock if you have one! Although now I want to know which naughty child was your parent!
3.gif

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a photo of the clock, or any way of uploading photos at the present (I''ve been on PS with my Blackberry cellphone).

Grandma''s oldest child, my aunt, inherited the ring.

My dad was the second child, he was the boy who loved chrome and whitewalls on his car. He played the radio too, and dated my mom who had short hair and wore shorts! I was born seven months after the wedding but my parents to this day tell me I was premature!

There are different groups of Mennonites, my dad''s was the "black bumper" variety. Some still use horse and buggy, but they can drive motor vehicles as long as they are black including the bumpers. Women are becoming less severe in their dress, although some still wear long hair under their head coverings, and wear cape dresses fastened with straight pins (buttons would be considered an ornament). They don''t wear jewelry. Money is not spent on luxuries such as eating in restaurants. Many still own farms. Some still don''t listen to the radio or watch TV. The religious aspect is quite strict. And family size is usually quite large, with 10, 12, or more children!

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
Very cool story! I love hearing these kinds of experiences. I got a giggle at your "premature" story. My dad always has a saying about that one--"the first child can come at anytime, but the second one ALWAYS takes 9 months".
Thanks for sharing that really neat story.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
That''s a great story! I love that your grandma got her motorcycle license :)

There are many mennonites around our farm back in MO--all of the stores in town still have hitching posts so they can tie up their horses. One family even has a small store where local farmers can buy cheese and other things they make. They are such polite people--thank you for sharing the story about your grandparents!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Terry
Great to see you back.
How is everything going?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results