shape
carat
color
clarity

Sentimentality and upgrades: which element matters to you?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Some people attach sentiment to the diamond but are open to upgrading the setting later. Some people attach sentiment to the ring and will only upgrade the rock. Some people wouldn't dream of touching either, while others don't mind replacing the whole she-bang.

Which camp do you fall into and why?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Sentimentality and upgrades: which element matters to yo

I fall into the sentimental about the rock. I spent a long time picking it. The shape, the clarity, the specific rock... I got so wrapped up in the stone itself that I had almost no time to choose the setting (we purchased during a sale). I ended up taking a princessa out of my setting, and having my new round put in. I wouldn't mind upgrading the setting someday, but I'm very happy for now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I go back and forth. My diamond has a LOT of sentimentality attached to it. But I got a temp setting to start with, because I wanted a nicer center, so I'm not attached to the my setting nearly as much. In fact I'm considering my second reset.

But I do occassionally think that I would just love to have a larger center and stick it in a three stone with baguettes. But then I think of my diamond, and I wouldn't want to give it up.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

I think I'd be more sentimental about the diamond than the setting. I like the idea of upgrades, and I'm all for them, but I don't think I want one, at least at this point (heresy, I know!). I think DH would be more open to a reset if I wanted one down the road, but he'd probably choke or keel over if I said I wanted to upgrade the stone. Both the diamond and setting were chosen very lovingly and thoughtfully, but to me, I think the diamond has more sentimental value. I considered changing the setting right when I got it, but ended up falling in love with it after all--if I fell out of love with it someday, I think I'd reset.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

unfortanely my dh is setimental about the whole ring (the ring he propose to me with) :sick: so now it just sits in my jewelry box. He wants to give it to one of our DD in the future. He is strongly against me recylcing any parts of the ring in order to make it more wearable ;( and I'm a serious recycler. I would love to make a pendant out of the stone so it gets more wear...but alas it will just sit in the box until it comes time to give to dd :-o

As for any other anniversary rings and gifts, it can be recycled, upgrade, or whatever as DH doesn't mind at all. Weird :confused: I know. I'm not super sentimental about things as much as he is as long as it gets recycled into something usable or wearable.

So I guess I can say I am sentimental about the stones and not so much the material its in.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock

I'm open to changing the whole shebang if I wanted to. Even though it took me forever to pick my setting and stone and I love them both, I did so fully knowing that one day I will likely want an upgraded stone. FH knows this as well. I've had my e-ring for just under a year and I already tease myself by spending too much time on the BGD and PS websites. I sorta kick myself now that we didn't just buy an upgraded stone to being with considering we could have spent more but were too frugal to do so. We were raised to be tightwads so it'll probably take some time before we actually decide to upgrade :bigsmile:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

My original ering diamond got recut into a beautiful stone which I wear in a pendant 24/7. My original setting was a temporary one that lasted 15 years and doesn't hold a lot of sentimentality.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock

The stone is a keeper. I would love [he would not mind] to reset it someday.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

I'm extraordinarily sentimental about my ring. Probably too much so, I very rarely wear it because I don't like the idea of causing wear and tear.

I'm completely open to getting other diamond rings, but won't upgrade or modify my original e-ring.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock

If anything, I'd add sidestones to the whole shebang I've already got. Not sure it's possible. I'm pretty attached to what I've got. If the plan failed, maybe I'd go for a super cool right hand ring with everything fun I didn't do to my solitaire.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

Interesting, everyone, thanks for sharing! It's something I think about a lot when I am on PS. I don't think there's any right answer, but I do find it interesting to read people's "stories" and the way they honor/repurpose/retire their original settings & stones.

Brensmom

Rough_Rock

I lost my original wedding set after being married 10 years. To be honest, I'm still upset about it and I lost it 6 months ago. I just got a new set a few weeks ago...it is beautiful, a larger diamond, and I do love it, but for me it's never going to be the same. The sentimental value of my other set just can't be matched. I had a lot of memories associated with that ring, looking at it reminded me of when we dated, when we picked it out together, how excited I was to have my first diamond, our wedding, etc etc etc. I never would have changed a thing about it. It bothers me that I won't be able to give it to my daughter someday.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

yeah, I am newly engaged, but we went in thinking that we would not upgrade. We really spent a lot of time picking out this ring and I am rather attached to it! Would I like it to be ~20% bigger? Sure! but, I am extremely pleased with this ring because of all of the work we put into it, but also because it is the one my FI proposed to me with :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not sentimental about rings or diamonds, just about my SO, whom I'd never upgrade.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm more attached to my setting than I am to the diamonds in my 3 stone ring. I'd wouldn't hesitate to trade them, especially the side stones. I LOVE swoopy prongs in trellis settings, so I wouldn't want to trade my setting in.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe|1295867357|2831231 said:
I'm more attached to my setting than I am to the diamonds in my 3 stone ring. I'd wouldn't hesitate to trade them, especially the side stones. I LOVE swoopy prongs in trellis settings, so I wouldn't want to trade my setting in.

I feel exactly the same! I'm in the process of upgrading my three diamonds in my ering as we speak... the same size, but ideal cuts/eyeclean. My diamonds are lovely and white, but not great cuts, and with some inclusions (mind, the inclusions don't faze me too much, but DH hates them! ;))). But, I love love LOVE my setting, as 'generic' as it is, I have never laid eyes on a 3 stone setting that is more perfect for me. DH was more conscious of choosing the setting he knew I loved, rather than hand picking diamonds, it was just the right thing for us at the time, particularly financially. The ring was there, already made, and he knew I'd adore it. He didn't notice the inclusions until after I'd been wearing the ring for a week and suggested we take it back... no chance! Man, you could not have pried that thing off my finger with a crowbar! :bigsmile:

I do plan on keeping my current diamonds for recycling though, I have a .77ct OEC that actually matches my .77ct RB nicely, and I think they'd make a great set of studs! The plan is to set them into white gold martinis.

The two side stones (.39ct each) I have no plans for, I don't think I'd wear them as studs as I'll have my 1.54ctw set, so I'm not sure what to do with those... buuuuut I'm sure I'll think of something :Up_to_something:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1295850909|2831191 said:
I'm not sentimental about rings or diamonds, just about my SO, whom I'd never upgrade.

You're just gorgeous, Kenny! :wavey:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm so sentimental that I doubt I'd upgrade my diamond. If I win the lotto, I'd buy other rings for fun, but the stone I have now will always be the diamond I received in my 20s. I would like to reset it, though, as the setting is plain.

My mom gave me her eng diamond. She had already removed it from the setting and put it into an earring and I had the stone reset into a DBTY solitaire pendant.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

Because of the nature of my ring, I'd have to destroy either the diamond or the setting if I ever wanted to upgrade, so regardless of how I felt about diamonds and rings before, I could never, ever destroy what my DH put so much thought and work into. Because of that, I've grown especially sentimental about it and wear it proudly on my left hand every single day. :bigsmile:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

I'm not sentimentally attached to any physical object. I love my ring and I wouldn't be pleased to lose it, but it wouldn't devastate me. I'd upgrade both if I had the cash!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1295832285|2830928 said:
I go back and forth. My diamond has a LOT of sentimentality attached to it. But I got a temp setting to start with, because I wanted a nicer center, so I'm not attached to the my setting nearly as much. In fact I'm considering my second reset. But I do occassionally think that I would just love to have a larger center and stick it in a three stone with baguettes. But then I think of my diamond, and I wouldn't want to give it up.

WHAT???????!?!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Sentimentality is the name of the game.

I would be more open to an upgrade, but I certainly understand my husband's viewpoint of how much meaning is attached to the rings we exchanged, and the diamond and setting we chose together for my e-ring.

And, because of sentimental reasons, I also wear my mother's orginal 1958 wedding band with my set.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

DandiAndi -- I love your set. It's really pretty!

I'm kicking myself for not going with larger side stones when I had the chance (when we first ordered my ring). I've always felt that they get lost because they're pretty small/narrow (.20 pears on each side, .92 RB center).

Oh well. We're not in the market to change anything right now, so it's a moot point. :bigsmile:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

I love my ring, but I guess I don't have that much sentimentality attached to the actual ring or diamond. In fact, one of the reasons why we went to the vendor we chose was because of the generous upgrade policy. I would be happy with this ring if I never have the opportunity to upgrade it, but if we do in the future, then I think I'll be able to without too much sadness.

I picked out the ring and the diamond though. I think maybe if FI had picked it out and surprised me, I might be a little more sentimental about it.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

I'm keeping all my rocks as is.

I will just be adding to them in future.

I hope to have a hoard to pass on when I die, but you never know where life takes you.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

I can't change the setting or stone. This is DH's decree, but I happen to agree. I could never change a thing about the ring he proposed with. It just means that he has to buy me whole new rings! :cheeky:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe|1295909356|2831865 said:
DandiAndi -- I love your set. It's really pretty!

Aww, thanks so much hon, you're a sweetheart! :wavey: I would LOVE to upgrade to a centre stone the yummy size of yours, buuuut, bank account says no :loopy: I love the proportions of your gorgeous ering!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Neither my husband nor I are sentimental about the diamond or the setting. I've upgraded/traded in both. He's also lost his wedding band and replaced it with a new band.

Our take is that it's not about the ring, it's about the symbolism. Each time I look down at my ring finger, I'm reminded of our commitment to each other....he is the exact same, we don't care what is on the ring finger, as long as there is a ring there, and it symbolizes our union.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not particularly sentimental about jewelry, and neither is my husband...I lost my ering in the house many years ago, and I hope to someday find it, mainly because it would be nice to have it to pass down to my daughter someday. But I'm not devastated about not having it, although I'm upset with myself for losing such an expensive item. I guess, after so many years together, jewelry just isn't that important in terms of representing the bond between us.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I surprised myself and am actually pretty sentimental about the whole thing. When we got the e-ring I knew all about upgrading and my husband was fine with the idea of me upgrading it some day, too. But I seriously considered upgrading last spring (changing the diamond shape, setting, and size of course :cheeky:) and when it came time to actually call WF about doing it, I couldn't!

And I thought it'd be my husband who would care and I wouldn't! So I think I'll be keeping it as is forever and getting another diamond at some point if the itch strikes me. Right now I'm perfectly happy with my set, although I will be adding some sort of stacking band soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results