shape
carat
color
clarity

Magic Morning on the Marsh

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wrote this short essay about a magical morning I had with my dog on a Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago. My wife thought you might enjoy it, so ...

Yesterday was a magical morning on the marsh, the low lying clouds with their portent of rain let the ducks go in and out of visibility soundlessly and it was very difficult, often impossible, to follow them with your eye.

None of my friends had been able to come with us, so in the end it was just Jane, my dog, and me who sat beneath a Russian Olive tree and occasionally called to the ducks when we could see them. As the day grew lighter from the unseen sun large flocks of tweedy birds took to the sky. They appeared almost as bait fish in the sky as the flock turned simultaneously one direction and then another. It was fascinating to watch them and I was totally immersed in the experience when suddenly a large whirring noise startled both Jane and me. We turned to see what it was and saw that it was a large flock of tweedy birds that had done another one of their turns only a few yards behind us. The sound of thousands of wings changing directions all at the same time was really something to hear.

As we turned back around Jane laid her head on my lap and gazed at me with her big golden brown eyes as I scratched her head behind her ears. We sat quietly together for many minutes, each enjoying the morning as it developed around us. It was while I was telling her what a good dog she was that I noticed a small pinpoint reflection on the water out of the corner of my eye that kept getting larger and larger. Soon I could see it was a lovely large mallard.

I actually laughed out loud when he landed in the decoys which sent it scurrying skywards. Jane soon brought her first retrieve of the day back to my hand, and we went back to our reverie which had been so rudely interrupted.

It really was an incredible morning, easy shots were taken, easy shots were not taken; sometimes it just didn't seem worthwhile to quit scratching my dog's ears just to take a shot. The ducks came, silently appearing from out of the clouds, sometimes to leave and sometimes to stay.

Eventually we had been interrupted enough that we had our limit, so we just sat for a while more and then picked up our decoys and came home. After all there were football games to watch and chicken soup to make for the sick wife of a good friend.

It has been many years and two dogs ago since I had a day like this.

It was time.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
How lovely, you are never alone in the company of dogs!

I had a pet ducks and a basset/lab mix. I was so alarmed when I found her carrying a limp duck in her mouth. I made her drop it and the duck dusted himself off and was just fine. It's amazing how instinctual it is for them to do their job. She kept carrying around ducks, never harming a one.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Wink - that's a very refreshing essay. Question... what did you do with the ducks. :Up_to_something:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1288831270| said:
How lovely, you are never alone in the company of dogs!

I had a pet ducks and a basset/lab mix. I was so alarmed when I found her carrying a limp duck in her mouth. I made her drop it and the duck dusted himself off and was just fine. It's amazing how instinctual it is for them to do their job. She kept carrying around ducks, never harming a one.

It really is amazing what dogs can learn and do. I discovered that I have taught my dog one bad trick.

I walk with her every day on the ditch back by my home and often in the summer and early fall there are ducks on the ditch. She has learned to completely ignore them as I will not allow her to chase them when we are not hunting.

Now, fortunately this does not happen often, if a duck is only wounded and starts skittering away like a duck on the ditchbank would do she will completely ignore it as she has been taugh not to harrass the ducks on the ditchbank.

Sigh.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411|1288890825| said:
Wink - that's a very refreshing essay. Question... what did you do with the ducks. :Up_to_something:

Thank you.

Answer, eat them. I have several recipes that were handed down to me from my mother and others that I have learned from other hunting friends. Yesterday morning we ate goose jerky on the way home from hunting. YUM!

Last year I had the pleasure of visiting John Pollard when Paul Slegers was there along with Lieve his business associate and I made a roast duck with wild rice dinner for them all.

I never shoot anything I would not eat, well, except a burgler perhaps, and nothing I shoot is ever wasted. Properly prepared wild game is not only tastier than domestic meat, but healthier too!

Wink

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1288899444| said:

Thank you.

Answer, eat them. I have several recipes that were handed down to me from my mother and others that I have learned from other hunting friends. Yesterday morning we ate goose jerky on the way home from hunting. YUM!

Last year I had the pleasure of visiting John Pollard when Paul Slegers was there along with Lieve his business associate and I made a roast duck with wild rice dinner for them all.

I never shoot anything I would not eat, well, except a burgler perhaps, and nothing I shoot is ever wasted. Properly prepared wild game is not only tastier than domestic meat, but healthier too!

Wink

But I bet burglars would "taste like chicken" :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

Great story, Wink -- and it sounds like your dog enjoyed his time out there as much as you did.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
You can't write all this and not post a photo of your dog.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a great writer you are, Wink! Thanks so much for sharing this.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Portree|1288901061| said:
Wink|1288899444| said:

Thank you.

Wink

But I bet burglars would "taste like chicken" :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

Great story, Wink -- and it sounds like your dog enjoyed his time out there as much as you did.

LOL!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pink Tower|1288902652| said:
You can't write all this and not post a photo of your dog.

Okay, thanks for twisting my arm!

Jane.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1288903075| said:
What a great writer you are, Wink! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Thank you. I was hoping it might touch a few hearts. I can hardly imagine life without my dogs.

Wink

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Wink - HOORAY for me finding you on here! I hunt too (I'm sure you've probably seen that in some thread or other). I'd love to hear how you make your jerky, and IF you are willing to share recipes, I'd love to have more. I just made venison sausage over parmesan cous cous the other night. It was last year's deer.

I don't have an area to hunt ducks, but I do some clay pigeon shooting to keep myself sharp. We do hunt turkeys and I'm going to find out if I can hunt duck in our hunting club because if we can then I'll be able to again.

Your dog is beautiful!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dragonfly411|1288970963|2755825 said:
Wink - HOORAY for me finding you on here! I hunt too (I'm sure you've probably seen that in some thread or other). I'd love to hear how you make your jerky, and IF you are willing to share recipes, I'd love to have more. I just made venison sausage over parmesan cous cous the other night. It was last year's deer.

I don't have an area to hunt ducks, but I do some clay pigeon shooting to keep myself sharp. We do hunt turkeys and I'm going to find out if I can hunt duck in our hunting club because if we can then I'll be able to again.

Your dog is beautiful!

I am always willing to share recipes.

For the jerky I cheat and use High Mountain Seasonings. You can visit their website at http://www.himtnjerky.com. They have many flavors and I really enjoy several of them. For recipes contact me directly and I am happy to share.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results