shape
carat
color
clarity

Job Hunting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Since all of you here on PS seem to be such a wealth of information, I figured I would ask you all some questions about job hunting. I have written this before on here, but I''m an English major who just graduated college, so I am looking for jobs. I have been to quite a few online databases, but didn''t know if there were some good ones that I was missing. I do a lot of writing, editing, and proofreading, and I also have an office background in communications since two of my former jobs were in that area. I know I can''t get a high paying dream job right out of school (especially with such limited work experience), but I figure I have to start somewhere. Do any of you know some other places I should be looking? Thanks so much for all of your help!

These are the sites I have been to:

Yahoo Hot Jobs
Careerbuilder.com
State Job Bank
State Employment Commission
Jobs.Virginia.Gov
Federal Government Jobs
Monster.com

I think that''s all of them. Hopefully that''s not all that are one the entire web, lol.

*M*

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any technical background or interest?

If so: www.nrc.gov

They are desperate for technical people - and one of the best places to work in the federal goverment. I note that they need people who can help the technical people write and organize reports and regulations.

Also, any nuclear plant in your neck of the woods - or in a place you''re willing to move.

Are you willing to travel for jobs (a job here for a few weeks - a job their for a few weeks - say 4 to 6 months of the year) and willing to do at least some physical work. There are a number of companies who do work during power plant outages (spring and fall). A good number of these people then have the summer and winter off (except for a few weeks training).

All of this would be stepping beyond a pure english major position - but you might find that they pay a lot more as well.

Perry

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poptart--I know how frustrating the job hunt can be when you''re fresh out of school, so don''t despair!

When I was first looking for jobs I targeted specific local companies. You can do a search for publishers that are based in your area, for example, and then go directly to their websites and find job opportunities that way. This sometimes makes it easier to find jobs that are actually applicable to you, versus using those large job database sites. Local universities are also a great source for jobs--there is an enormous range of positions (admin, recruiting, etc.) and they have great benefits, just an idea.

I found that targeting specific companies was always the most beneficial for me, especially when I wasn''t quite sure what I wanted to do.

It looks like you''re in Virginia; I just did a google search for "Virginia-based companies" and "Virginia-based publishing companies" and a lot of great sites came up.

And, of course, make sure you have a well-written resume, as it''s the first thing we see when we''re weeding out prospective employees. And pull your hair back for interviews, I can''t tell you how many people we passed up during our last round of interviews because they were playing with their hair during the meeting.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 7:20:09 AM
Author: perry
Do you have any technical background or interest?

If so: www.nrc.gov

They are desperate for technical people - and one of the best places to work in the federal goverment. I note that they need people who can help the technical people write and organize reports and regulations.

Also, any nuclear plant in your neck of the woods - or in a place you''re willing to move.

Are you willing to travel for jobs (a job here for a few weeks - a job their for a few weeks - say 4 to 6 months of the year) and willing to do at least some physical work. There are a number of companies who do work during power plant outages (spring and fall). A good number of these people then have the summer and winter off (except for a few weeks training).

All of this would be stepping beyond a pure english major position - but you might find that they pay a lot more as well.

Perry
Thanks so much for your advice. I looked into that and it looks very interesting. I don''t know much about technical writing, and unfortunately I am unable to relocate right now. I am going to keep that in mind though, just in case. Thanks again!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 10:17:48 AM
Author: Haven
Poptart--I know how frustrating the job hunt can be when you''re fresh out of school, so don''t despair!

When I was first looking for jobs I targeted specific local companies. You can do a search for publishers that are based in your area, for example, and then go directly to their websites and find job opportunities that way. This sometimes makes it easier to find jobs that are actually applicable to you, versus using those large job database sites. Local universities are also a great source for jobs--there is an enormous range of positions (admin, recruiting, etc.) and they have great benefits, just an idea.

I found that targeting specific companies was always the most beneficial for me, especially when I wasn''t quite sure what I wanted to do.

It looks like you''re in Virginia; I just did a google search for ''Virginia-based companies'' and ''Virginia-based publishing companies'' and a lot of great sites came up.

And, of course, make sure you have a well-written resume, as it''s the first thing we see when we''re weeding out prospective employees. And pull your hair back for interviews, I can''t tell you how many people we passed up during our last round of interviews because they were playing with their hair during the meeting.
Targeting specific companies sounds like a much better idea than looking through huge databases. In fact, this morning while I was looking I stumbled upon another huge database. It was so overwhelming I just set the computer aside for a bit because I didn''t even know where to start. I will definitely do the suggested googles (haha), and fish through those. I am just always worried no one will even give me a chance to interview because I don''t have all of that related work experience, even though I have been working in various jobs since I was 16. Thanks for the suggestion about the interview. Luckily I interview pretty well, it''s just getting my foot in the darn door that has me so frustrated. Thanks again!

*M*

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Hi poptart,

When I first left school I was in a similar situation. I studied International Relations - something you really can''t do much with unless you have higher degrees. I also did not have much experience, which is key when trying to get your foot through the door. I was job-hunting for a few months and under a lot of pressure from my parents to start supporting myself. Then I decided to just call up a temp agency to tide me over until I found a full-time job.

The first assignment they gave me was working as the personal assistant of a CEO at a major company. They explained that it was only for two weeks, and I would probably just be doing mundane work like filing, scheduling, and taking phone calls, but I decided "what the heck" and took it anyway. That became a great career move: right before my two weeks was up, the CEO called me into a meeting he was having with all his VP''s. He introduced me and said, "This is Jenny. She just graduated and is a great worker. She needs a job. One of you - give her a job."

So that''s how I got my first job. It was a typical entry-level job in sales, but I was happy - I had gotten my foot through the door!

However, it soon became apparent that this wasn''t what I wanted to do. So while working, I befriended the people in the marketing/design department and learned all I could from them, even taking on extra work to gain experience. I also did freelance work on the side, sometimes for free, just to gain experience.

A year later, I had enough experience to get a job in the field I really wanted to be in. I love my job now and I feel so incredibly lucky.

So the advice I''m giving you is this:

1. If you can''t find anything, call up a temp agency. You can always keep job-hunting while you''re temping. And who knows - you might end up lucky as I was!
2. Do work on the side, even if it''s for free, just to gain experience.
3. I know this may seem like poor advice, but you don''t need to LOVE your first job. When you find something full-time, sometimes it may be better just to stay there for a year, gain experience, and forge connections/networks.

Best of luck to you!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Hey Poptart,

I noticed you are open to looking at jobs possibly in the DC area -- this site might help: http://www.techexpousa.com/. Companies from all over Virginia (not just NoVa) attend these things.

I got my current job attending one of their "No Clearance Required" job fairs (which they have every once in a while). Unfortunately, I noticed that they just had a "No Clearance Required" fair yesterday in VA Beach -- guess I told you a bit late!

Also, my husband liked using this site during his search: http://www.jobsearch.org/

Hope that helps!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Re: interviews....

As soon as you sit down, take out a pad and a pen, and sit as if you''re ready to write. Take occasional notes. This shows that you''re prepared and attentive.

Mimic your interviewer''s movements. For example, if he/she leans back, lean back also. If he/she folds their hands, hold your hands also. This indicates to them that you are connected to them.

If the company isn''t too conservative, don''t be afraid to say something memorable, even if it''s a bit wild. When I was interviewing for my first job, my boss asked me "Why should I hire you?" and I said, "Are you kidding me? I get off on this stuff!"
14.gif
I only realized what I had said after the words left my mouth, but he chuckled and said my enthusiasm clearly shows through.

Lastly, make it clear to them that you are looking for a career, not a job. I straight-out said this to all three of my interviewers and they ate it up.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can weed through it, craigslist has a gem now and then....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results