shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone else NOT in the holiday spirit?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The holidays are quickly approaching, and I can't really get in the mood. Not that I'm in a bah hum bug kind of mood or anything, but it feels like I can't catch up and I'm a couple months behind. I love this time of year usually. Part of it could be the weather. It's doesn't FEEL like Christmas, know what I mean?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Am I in the spirit??

Hmmmm . . .

Holiday music is on the stereo.
Today was the beginning of Advent, and we did get to sing my favorite, "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel".
I was inspired to decorate the mantel, and around the living room.

But . . .

I did contemplate going treeless this year. I'm exhausted just thinking about putting it up.
It is way too hot in Texas to feel Christmas-y. I grew up with snowy Christmases. 80+ degrees is pushing my envelope. A lot.

I'm trying to boost my holiday spirit. I'm currently watching "Elf" on tv. But I'm finding I'm feeling sympathetic to the James Caan character, rather than Buddy. That's probably not a good thing. Or maybe a little Will Ferrel goes a long way with me. :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a long hot summer here in Chicago and today it was 60. Not feelin the holiday spirit at all. Can't wait to get it over with.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, Holly, I feel like I'm willing the Christmas spirit to come here but it's not working. I've baked cookies (although not today), we watched two Christmas movies this weekend, and we had Christmas music on earlier, too. Nada. Oh, and it's been in the 40s. It did snow this weekend and some stuck, but I think it was about 50 today so it all melted.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am completely NOT in the spirit! I was just typing this to a friend not a moment ago!! I have no interest at all in shopping for the sake of shopping and buying a gift because I'm supposed to. It just doesn't feel right, this year. I did put up our 6' tree and I am waiting on the delivery of our new 10/12' tree, at some point, but I just don't care about it this year. Why is that? I don't feel depressed, my life is good, my family is wonderful... I just do NOT feel engaged. Even Christmas carols, which normally I adore and sing along at the top of my voice, are bugging me! This is not "me"...

I think its because I'm stumped on what to get relatives that are in another city that we don't hear from. I think that is pissing me off and leads back to the 'why shop and buy a gift for the sake of buying a gift?' thinking I'm going thru.

Hope Santa and an elf "whomp" me in the head real soon and kick me into gear!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi, I hate shopping for the sake of shopping also (and I'm not really a shopper in general). I've written about this recently, but my husband and I would like to stop exchanging gifts with our families. Instead, we'd pool the money we'd all spend on presents and go away somewhere. Granted, the trip would cost more than the gifts would, so there's that sticking point, but even if we went to the closest big city to us (which I love but it's not a new destination by any means) and hung out there, that would still be fun. That sounds more fun to me than buying my dad a book and socks. You know? My mom won't hear of it though because she NEEDS to have presents under the tree at home. My husband's kind of angry about it actually, which then he feels guilty for because he knows he probably sounds ungrateful. Heck, *I* feel guilty for even typing all that out.

My husband just asked if I wanted to watch Charlie Brown Christmas. He's actually humming the song now. For all his whining abut gifts, he's certainly been in the holiday spirit today! Off to watch Snoopy dance! :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *LOVE* the Snoopy dance!!! He tosses his head back, dancing away, the occasional "ROO" in his beagle way!! :lol: Ah... that's a good visual!

I think there is way too much "Norman Rockwell/Hallmark/Cuerrier & Ives" expectation around the actual day, that all the build up is just too much. Plus - and I know I sound like I'm a thousand years old - but it really is very commercial based, not family/time together based. It seems like "people" are getting lost in the purchasing message!

Ok... time to go and sit in front of my tree and just wait for the magic to happen! I don't want to be like the Grinch, and but I do want my heart to grow 3 sizes today!! :saint:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We are also having tree issues this year. :rolleyes:

I can't stand the idea of all those needles, the water that will spill, the crawling under to water it, the possibility of the cat thinking (again) that it's a kitty gym.

So we bought a fake one last night, for $85 which is about as much as I really want to spend on a fake tree. I don't like all the "tips" that need "fluffing", the lack of scent, the lights that I know won't last until next year, etc. We put it up this a.m.

It was too short (6.5 feet) and too unlike our usual real trees. :(sad So we took it down, put it back in the box, and took it back to the store.

We are treeless, but there is a pile of gift bags in the corner where the tree should be. I think it looks fine. I'm thinking-like HollyS is- about skipping the stupid tree this year.

A few years ago, maybe it was a decade, :sick: we bought a big, elaborate fake tree, with 2,500 tips, gorgeous and huge. EVERY SINGLE TIP had to be fluffed. I didn't have the energy to do it the next year, so it stayed in the box for several years until I finally sold it at a yard sale. When we were first married, there was a Christmas where I put up 5 (five!) trees. So I wasn't always like this. I was young. Briefly.

Every year, the Christmas thing sneaks up on me, and every year I have to watch "The Muppet Family Christmas" (it's on youtube if you want to watch) before I will be in the mood. I really need to watch it soon. ::)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The holidays lack the appeal they once had due mostly to the death or geographic distance of most of my family and friends. The magic of Christmas for me is sharing it with people with whom I have a long history. Lifestyles being what they are, it's difficult to connect regularly with folks during the year which makes any contact during the holidays frantic as we try to cram a lot of stuff in short visits or phone calls. DH and I and my stepsons have our traditions which are important to me but I miss the good old days when people made time for each other :((

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year I was not for some reason.

This year I am - I've even bought myself a bunch of new (mostly used, actually) holiday CDs so I won't tire of hearing the same old favorites.

It still all goes by too quickly for me though!

Zoe - personally, I think it's perfectly OK to not be in the Holiday spirit. If it's something you miss though, maybe you could try some new things to help you get there...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy presents all year long and eagerly anticipate all year when I can finally start *The*Big*Wrapping*! I got everything out last week and begin with the paper and bows on Friday night. One happy Dee!

But now it's Sunday night... I've only wrapped about half of the gifts (not to mention all the ones that haven't arrived yet, even though I gave plenty of time for shipping... ?), my dining room looks like Santa's workshop exploded, and I've only got half a bottle of prosecco left to get me through... ACK.

No tree for me either becuase when I moved out of Chicago I gave my 10' tree to a friend, not knowing what I would be moving into down here, and also not being in love with the 70+ lb monster anyway. I don't regret not having to wrestle with that thing (and honestly, I'm not sure I could even get the top section--or maybe two sections!--on by myself, even with the ladder), but I do miss having one.

Oh well, time to pull up my big girl panties and get this dining room disaster dealt with! If no one hears from me for several days please send an excavation crew to my house to retrieve my remains from under the pile of boxes and stuff...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
...and maybe send more prosecco to help with the wrapping??? I wanna wrap at Dee*jay's place!!! :lickout:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn't until today - something about seeing the trees strapped to the top of cars...in LA! :lol: My dog and I volunteered at a nursing home this morning and it put us a in such a great mood! Everyone was so happy to see him! About to go grab a glass of wine and the tree from the garage! And find the antlers to put on the dogs, they're going to hate me! :angryfire: :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi said:
...and maybe send more prosecco to help with the wrapping??? I wanna wrap at Dee*jay's place!!! :lickout:

Okay, Enerchi, I'll drive up and pick you up in my zippy car, then we'll drive back down to DeeJays!

DeeJay, get ready, I prefer the little marshmallows in my hot chocolate! :wavey:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1354500917|3320954 said:
Enerchi said:

Okay, Enerchi, I'll drive up and pick you up in my zippy car, then we'll drive back down to DeeJays!

DeeJay, get ready, I prefer the little marshmallows in my hot chocolate! :wavey:
I'm IN!!! I'm packed, ready to go and looking out the front window now... what colour car am I watching for, iLander? ;))

And--- just wanted to say I'm a tad proud of myself! I ordered a REALLY COOL gift certificate on the internet - I'm excited and now I think with the purchase of my first gift... my heart is growing at least 1 size... :praise: (Its a start!)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi said:

Well we're gonna need a lot more than 1/2 a bottle of prosecco then! (I actually have EIGHT bottles of it in the back of my SUV in the garage, but I keep forgetting to get the communal shopping cart and bring them up.) When I go down to get them, I'll run out and pick up some mini marshmallows too! ;))

BTW, if you want truly grim, I have been wrapping presents ever since I last posted... cutting the paper with cuticle scissors because that's all I can find in the whole damn house. WHERE ARE ALL THE FVCKING SCISSORS?!? I started with two good pairs on Friday and now there are NONE. What do I do if I lose those? Start gnawing strips of paper off the roll with my teeth?!? ARGH.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am back in my HOUSE finally, so, yes, for once I am totally in the spirit. Looking forward to getting a menorah and putting up the New Year tree, and putting fairy lights absolutely everywhere, and gift wrapping loads. I even want to ... bake?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1354501833|3320972 said:
I am back in my HOUSE finally, so, yes, for once I am totally in the spirit. Looking forward to getting a menorah and putting up the New Year tree, and putting fairy lights absolutely everywhere, and gift wrapping loads. I even want to ... bake?

Circe, whatever it is you bake, bring it to my house and we'll have it with prosecco and hot chocolate!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354501947|3320974 said:
Circe|1354501833|3320972 said:

Circe, whatever it is you bake, bring it to my house and we'll have it with prosecco and hot chocolate!

OMG, I love that avatar DeeJay! How awesome is your dog?!!

Yes, Circe, BYOB (bring your own baking!) :wavey: I'll bring tangerines, it's their season!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just gonna help with hauling up all that wine!! :praise:

yes, I do what I can, when I can, to help a friend in need --- a friend with WINE that is! ;))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1354501672|3320968 said:
Enerchi said:

I'm IN!!! I'm packed, ready to go and looking out the front window now... what colour car am I watching for, iLander? ;))

And--- just wanted to say I'm a tad proud of myself! I ordered a REALLY COOL gift certificate on the internet - I'm excited and now I think with the purchase of my first gift... my heart is growing at least 1 size... :praise: (Its a start!)

You're watching for a red Porsche, little lady! :bigsmile: Two seats, one for me, one for you!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^^
There ain't no stoppin us now!! once we hit the open road, wind in our hair, tunes cranked to SUPER LOUD... we'll be at Dee*Jay's in no time!! Well, from my place, lets say... about 4 days, give or take! PARTY ON!!!

I think I just found some spirit and it's riding in a red Porsche!!! WOO HOO!! :appl: :lol: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Not in the spirit. Just bought a Christmas tree and it's just sitting there in it's box. lame, but true. Don't know when I'll get it out. And decorations are still in New Mexico, so it could be a very boring Christmas this year...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1354504179|3321008 said:
^^^^
There ain't no stoppin us now!! once we hit the open road, wind in our hair, tunes cranked to SUPER LOUD... we'll be at Dee*Jay's in no time!! Well, from my place, lets say... about 4 days, give or take! PARTY ON!!!

I think I just found some spirit and it's riding in a red Porsche!!! WOO HOO!! :appl: :lol: :appl:

Lol "Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open Porsche . . . " I say we can do it in 3 days! :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your on!!! Lets do it!!! I'm pretty sure you've got more than 1 horse under that hood :naughty: :Up_to_something:

"...dashing all the way... " Well, off to bed so I'm all rested for when you arrive!

Oh - Dee*Jay, do you think you wrapped up your scissors??? We'll be there soon and we'll find them for you!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1354504390|3321011 said:
Enerchi|1354504179|3321008 said:
^^^^

Lol "Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open Porsche . . . " I say we can do it in 3 days! :naughty:

That's a "255 horse open Porsche," but who's counting?!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1354504588|3321015 said:
Your on!!! Lets do it!!! I'm pretty sure you've got more than 1 horse under that hood :naughty: :Up_to_something:

"...dashing all the way... " Well, off to bed so I'm all rested for when you arrive!

Oh - Dee*Jay, do you think you wrapped up your scissors??? We'll be there soon and we'll find them for you!

OMG... I didn't even think of that... :-o I can just hear the phone call from my mother now: "Thaks so much for the lovely down vest, and I really like the scissors with the loose handle held on by tape that came with it."

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I totally relate and I blame it on how Christmas decorations and all that have been for sale for at least a month or more BEFORE Thanksgiving. My holiday "compass" has gone out of wack. I know it seems almost silly, but I feel Christmas is OVER because of all the over exposure to decorations for over a month now. Our house is decorated but the BIG issue, and I'll state the problem is flat out out this: ALL THE CHRISTMAS ITEMS ARE ON SALE 30% off when Dec has just begun. We haven't even had a chance to enjoy before the stores mark everything down. We are onto the NEXT holiday...For all we know Valentines day will be promoted before New Years day!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1354485898|3320751 said:
The holidays are quickly approaching, and I can't really get in the mood. Not that I'm in a bah hum bug kind of mood or anything, but it feels like I can't catch up and I'm a couple months behind. I love this time of year usually. Part of it could be the weather. It's doesn't FEEL like Christmas, know what I mean?

I know what you mean! It is unseasonably warm here (63 degrees here today in the Midwest), and with DST throwing us back an hour so that the days are even shorter already it's very hard to come home from work each day and feel like doing anything holiday-ish like decorate, inside or outside.

I work in retail and we've seen a decrease this week compared to last year's numbers, which is hopefully a fluke. Black weekend (last weekend, Thanksgiving) we ran a 20% increase over LY, which was huge. It's a total guessing game at this point. Weather has a tremendous effect on people's spending.

I have my main tree up in the living room, and had fun decorating it the day before Thanksgiving, but I haven't found the motivation or inspiration to get my other trees up or do any other decorating so far. I feel like saying "screw it," and not having any further hassle, to be honest.

My shopping is mostly finished, and I started wrapping this evening after work. Still, I don't feel "in the spirit" much.

WHAT THE HECK ARE WE GONNA DO? I mean, I can only drink SO MUCH wine... ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results