shape
carat
color
clarity

honeymoon in Spain - tips or suggestions?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FI and I are considering a honeymoon in Spain in late September to early October. Neither of us have been to Spain before. Any tips or suggestions?

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pick up a Lonely Planet book for Spain. It'll give you tips on the must sees, and stuff off the beaten path. It also has good tips on avoiding traps and scams.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Spain. One of my favorite countries ever.

I spent a summer there, mostly in Madrid, but also traveled to Seville, Segovia, Toledo and Barcelona. Some of the sights we saw were the Alcazar in Seville, the Aqueduct in Segovia, a big cathedral (sorry can't remember the name!) in Toledo, walked down Las Ramblas and hit the beaches in Barcelona, went clubbing in Barcelona, ate dinner at Quatre Gats (apparently a frequent haunt of Picasso), and the Gaudi museum in Barcelona.

In Madrid, museums museums museums! My favorites were the Prado and the Thyssen, but I also liked Reina Sofia and the Museo Arqueologico. Go walk around the Plaza del Sol, bull-fighting at Las Ventas, the Parque del Retiro (which is just beautiful), and some great restaurants on the Calle de Manuela Malasana (my favorite restaurant there was Albur - not sure if it's still there since this was in 2006). Manuela Malasana is, I think, near the Tribunal subway station.

I'll try to think of other stuff, but that's all I'm remembering off the top of my head for now!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Spain is amazing! I recommend Grenada and Seville, and Costa del Sol. I also loved the Iberian islands. I went to Ibiza, and the beach and ocean were amazing! I have also heard San Sebastien is very romantic. I didn't like Madrid very much, but Barcelona is amazing (for a big city).

If you end up making it over to Portugal - Lisbon and the surrounding cities are beautiful (e.g. Sintra and CasCais).

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I lived with a family in Spain for two summers, and it was heaven! They lived in a town outside of Malaga, which is on the southern coast, pretty much due south from Madrid. I would definitely suggest the Costa del Sol as part of your trip.

Are you thinking you'll be doing a sightseeing-only trip, or do you want to spend some time at a beach? There are lots of beaches I loved between Malaga and Cadiz. Some towns to check out: Torremolinos, Fuengirola, Marbella, and Puerto Banus. When my family and I went to Spain, we stayed in Marbella for a week and loved it. We rented a condo from a British family via vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner), and we had a great week just relaxing at the beach.

On that same trip, we went to Granada to visit the Alhambra (Moorish palace); to Sevilla for a few days to visit friends of mine and see some of the sights there; to Ronda, a town known for its bullfighters in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada; and to Madrid, where we went to some of the museums B.E.G mentioned above, shopped, and saw the royal palace.

If you have any specific questions about some of these places, I'm more than happy to answer them. I've spent time in Barcelona, Alicante, Valencia, and Cordoba as well, so I'm happy to tell you more about those cities if you're interested. Spain is such a great country to visit, and I'm sure you would have a wonderful time there on your honeymoon. My DH and I went to Italy for our honeymoon last summer and loved it, but I kind of wish we had gone to Spain just because I love it there so much!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion? Marry me so I can come to.
For me Barcelona is heaven on earth. There were times I felt like crying it was just so beautiful. You have gotten great advise, but one thing my Dh and I did that was great was walking between famous areas by going through standard neighborhoods. Not only were they just as beautiful, but we got better food than you can get in the tourist areas and it was much cheaper. I demands pictures if you go.

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
I was just in Barcelona and my number one tip would be to be aware that stores are closed on sunday there. We wanted to stop at the supermarket, but it and just about everything else was closed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results