shape
carat
color
clarity

DF I''m curious about your watch(es)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''d like to, tell us about your fine watch(es).

Why did you pick the one(s) you did?

Got pics?

Do you have your sights on another one?

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a fine watch with my first pay check. Longine, solid gold. My 18 year olds idea of beauty and luxury. My little nephew ran into the ocean one day and I went after him. A wave came up and...........well you can see where this is going.

I currently own about 15 watches but don''t wear one preferring to use the clock on my cell phone.. None could be called fine.
I still have the Timex digital watch my ex husband gave me
when we were dating 37 years ago.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am currently alternating between two watches the Rolex and the Lange. i''d prefer the Lange & Sohne more than the Rolex,it''s a 18k pink gold made in germany with a manual wind movement and the only watch in the world that none of the functions overlaps.

3042az.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the back side of my avatar.

xzq.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:32:04 AM
Author:kenny

Got pics?

the nice ladies here are putting together a fund to buy me this watch for my next BD.
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/A-Lange-Sohne-Tourbograph-Pour-le-Merite-702.025-1242.html

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 10:48:33 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Got pics?

the nice ladies here are putting together a fund to buy me this watch for my next BD.
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/A-Lange-Sohne-Tourbograph-Pour-le-Merite-702.025-1242.html
Well, I don''t know, DF, now that Kenny seems interested in watches, you may have to compete with him for the ladies'' affections
31.gif

Btw, does this beautiful watch come with a free Lloyd''s of London policy?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
his and her Rolex.

DSCN2051a.JPG

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
DF, The Lange is awesome! The face is very interesting, something is happening wherever you look yet it is not too busy , kinda like planets in orbit with each also doing their own thing and the back is toooo cool. Very nice! Good thread Kenny. Gotta love watches!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you'd like to, tell us about your fine watch(es).

Got pics?

i love the "true manufactures" of fine watches...

there're hundreds of different watch brands,but only a hand full produce their own movements in-house. in other words....not many that we can call "true manufacture" of watches

off the top of my head these are the watch Companies that uses 100% inhouse movements in all of their models.

Rolex...since they started using their own movement in the Daytona model a few yrs ago.

Patek Philippe... since they started using their own movement in chrono watches a few yrs ago.

JLC
Lange
Glashutte Original
Zenith

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE watches!

My boyfriend is crazy about watches and has about 10 limited pieces from Audemars Piguets.

As for me, I have a white medium face Chanel watch and also a black ceramic Chanel watch with ruby's in the place of numbers.

I love both because I'm crazy clumsy and hit my hand on everything, but ceramic is very hard to scratch or break so its perfect. I'll post pictures soon.

I have my sights out for another one...but I'm not sure which yet. I was looking at the Rolex Tahitian pearl faced one...or the salmon pink faced one. We'll see.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DF, they are all so very cool.
Is the back of your Lange is a sapphire?
At first I was thinking that would be more vulnerable than a metal back.
But then I realized the top is much more at risk and that''s sapphire.

Apparently the Lange tells you four things.
I see a date display and a regular watch.
What do the other two hands show?

Have the quality of these uber-fine watches remained the same over time?
Or did these companies have better and less fortunate periods that shoppers should avoid?

Is that third one a TAG?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:01:34 PM
Author: kenny
Thanks DF, they are all so very cool.
Is the back of your Lange is a sapphire?
yes,it is.

Apparently the Lange tells you four things.
I see a date display and a regular watch.
What do the other two hands show?
the hand below the date is the power reserve,think of it as the fuel gage on your car,
2.gif
and below that is the second hand.

Have the quality of these uber-fine watches remained the same over time?
most have,compared more like OEC vs the modren day ideal cut.

Or did these companies have better and less fortunate periods that shoppers should avoid?
some.

Is that third one a TAG?
no,that''s a $75 Invicta S/S watch.
lunch time!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fuel gauge?
How cool.

So I assume it is a watch you must wind every morning?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am fascinated about watches but know nothing about it.
I am interested in a vintage OR antique watch that is of great quality and always classy, any particular brand and time period any of you can recommend? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 4:26:58 PM
A fuel gauge?
How cool.

So I assume it is a watch you must wind every morning?
yes, i do wind the watch every morning but it can run for 100 hrs w/o a rewind.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 4:55:25 PM
Author: zhuzhu
I am interested in a vintage OR antique watch that is of great quality and always classy, any particular brand and time period any of you can recommend? Thanks!
zhu...i don''t know anything about vintage watches.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 4:55:25 PM
Author: zhuzhu

zhuzhu, there are many good websites that will help you learn about vintage watches -- if you start a new thread (don''t want to hijack Kenny''s) I''ll be glad to give you a list of sites.

A mechanical watch is a truly beautiful thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not mind hijacks.
Your call.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have a great watch:

The 50th anniversary I Love Lucy watch.
28.gif

Other than that, I never wear them and would never spend money on them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DF I''m enjoying that site, especially all the macro photography.
30.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 6:36:08 PM
I do not mind hijacks.

Your call.
You are a gentleman, Kenny!

Here is some information for anyone reading this who's curious about vintage watches:

Start with Finer Times Click on the individual watch manufacturers' names for a history of the company. Finer Times is a well-respected vendor of vintage watches. Repairing and maintaining vintage watches can be expensive, so you want to buy from a place that sells watches in good running order. Their prices are reasonable.

Many of the fine watch companies have been sold to other companies and are now part of conglomerates. The Swiss watchmaking industry underwent huge changes in the 1970s and many well-respected companies closed or were sold. Pay attention to information on the Finer Times website about what year the company was purchased by another company (e.g., Swatch) and try to buy watches from before that time, and you will be the owner of an exceptionally fine timepiece, hand-crafted and exquisitely designed. As DF has noted, very few watch companies continue to make their own components, even some of the "big name" companies, so buying a vintage watch allows you to buy a piece of history.

Other companies that sell vintage watches:
Cool vintage watches
Farfo
Darlor There's an incredible Zenith listed for $4,000
Watches to Buy
York Time
Watchismo A great source for "mod" style watches like LIP and vintage Hamiltons
Wanna buy a watch

Two excellent watch forums where you can get your questions answered and learn more about the watch fanatic's world:

Classicwatch.com
timezone.com

ETA: for more detailed company histories, do a Google search for the watch brand name; most of the companies have their own website or a wikipedia page.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 11:40:28 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Got pics?

i love the ''true manufactures'' of fine watches...

there''re hundreds of different watch brands,but only a hand full produce their own movements in-house. in other words....not many that we can call ''true manufacture'' of watches

off the top of my head these are the watch Companies that uses 100% inhouse movements in all of their models.

Rolex...since they started using their own movement in the Daytona model a few yrs ago.

Patek Philippe... since they started using their own movement in chrono watches a few yrs ago.

JLC
Lange
Glashutte Original
Zenith
What do you think of RGM watches? They have lots of fun videos of them engine turning dial faces on antique machines. And at least one of their calibres - the 801 - has been designed and made right here in the US of A.

I want to go there and visit the place. And to get one for my husband. But he probably won''t get one anytime soon, alas!!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 8:02:07 PM
Author: sarap333
Date: 5/26/2010 6:36:08 PM

I do not mind hijacks.

Your call.

You are a gentleman, Kenny!

Here is some information for anyone reading this who''s curious about vintage watches:

Start with Finer Times Click on the individual watch manufacturers'' names for a history of the company. Finer Times is a well-respected vendor of vintage watches. Repairing and maintaining vintage watches can be expensive, so you want to buy from a place that sells watches in good running order. Their prices are reasonable.

Many of the fine watch companies have been sold to other companies and are now part of conglomerates. The Swiss watchmaking industry underwent huge changes in the 1970s and many well-respected companies closed or were sold. Pay attention to information on the Finer Times website about what year the company was purchased by another company (e.g., Swatch) and try to buy watches from before that time, and you will be the owner of an exceptionally fine timepiece, hand-crafted and exquisitely designed. As DF has noted, very few watch companies continue to make their own components, even some of the ''big name'' companies, so buying a vintage watch allows you to buy a piece of history.

Other companies that sell vintage watches:

Cool vintage watches

Farfo

Darlor There''s an incredible Zenith listed for $4,000

Watches to Buy

York Time

Watchismo A great source for ''mod'' style watches like LIP and vintage Hamiltons

Wanna buy a watch

Two excellent watch forums where you can get your questions answered and learn more about the watch fanatic''s world:

Classicwatch.com

timezone.com

ETA: for more detailed company histories, do a Google search for the watch brand name; most of the companies have their own website or a wikipedia page.

This is a great place to start reading. Thank you so much for sharing.
I must say I am pretty amazed at how expensive fine watches are!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 10:12:13 PM
Author: ksinger

What do you think of RGM watches? They have lots of fun videos of them engine turning dial faces on antique machines. And at least one of their calibres - the 801 - has been designed and made right here in the US of A.

I want to go there and visit the place. And to get one for my husband. But he probably won''t get one anytime soon, alas!!
love to see one IRL. wonder if any store in the S.F. Bay area carry the RGM line.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara, thanks for posting those links.
I''m having a blast.

I''m surprised you can buy a solid gold swiss watch with a cool vintage look for under $1,000.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 11:57:45 AM
Sara, thanks for posting those links.

I'm having a blast.

I'm surprised you can buy a solid gold swiss watch with a cool vintage look for under $1,000.

You're welcome, Kenny! Vintage watches are often undervalued and the craftsmanship and design of some of the cases is outstanding -- real works of art!

Someday I hope to own a new JLC (after my mortgage is paid off - LOL!) but for now, buying vintage works for me. So far I've owned/own a vintage JLC ladies' 14 kt. gold hand-engraved watch; a 14 kt. gold 1940s ladies' Hamilton; a vintage mint condition Borel, and a men's circa 1965 Bulova.

One thing I love about mechanical watches is that the second hand moves in a sweep fashion - not little jerking motions. So elegant.

I'll be interested to see where you go with this -- it's an addicting hobby! But one great thing is that many of these mechanical watches -- vintage or new -- hold their resale value. So if you tire of one, or find you don't wear it as much as you thought, you can sell it on flea-bay easily and not lose your shirt.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this one.

0paph.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results