shape
carat
color
clarity

Career change?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am unsatisfied by my career path, at age 28. I am considering going back to school for a serious change. The program I want to enter doesn't begin until 2014, so that means I'll be 30 at entry. 34 at graduation. Interning for a year. Another 2-5 years of further study. Holy moly, I'd be almost 40 by the time I was finished with it all.

Have any of you changed paths so severely? I'd like to hear about your experiences, how you managed to juggle responsibilities. I suppose I'll be 40 one day, no matter what. Might as well be a 40 year old doctor. ::)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have to look at it as your are making a decision about the rest of your life. Will this make you happy? If so, and you can make it happen then go for it!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think you really need to analyze why you don't like your current job. Are you sure you won't have the same type of stuff in your new job? Are you idealizing the new job? Or do you just feel successful in school? Really deep, honest analysis is called for here.

Even as a doctor, you will have to deal with obnoxious people, long hours, frustration, annoyance, co-workers, bosses, and this big one: lack of appreciation. My DD and DH have a lot of trouble when they think no one is appreciating them. I have to explain (constantly) that appreciation is rare and is the exception, not the rule. You have to do things for yourself, not for other people's appreciation, or you will always be unhappy. Your sense of self has to be in your own hands, not someone else's.

That probably has nothing to do with what you are going through, but I thought I'd throw that out there. :bigsmile:

But on the other hand, those years are going to go by wether you make a change or not. So might as well use them constructively.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I am studying to be a career counselor and am going through my own change myself (also at 28).

What you want to do is very very common. People seem to be molding themselves into their own career niche. This is not our grandparents generation where at 18 you said I am gonna be a doctor, accountant, etc... and do that. At the same time, be ready to face a lot of people wanting to keep you on your current path. I think this is just because people in general react negatively to change.

Also, check out the The Pathfinder by Nicholas Lore.

At 40 you will still have 25-30 years of working (that's a really long time as it is all the years you have been alive!), so I think changing if you want to is a good idea. Some people cannot just spend a majority of their time doing what they hate so they can get a paycheck. Also, I think late 20s is a great time to change. You know yourself much more than when you picked a career in your late teens likely and have gotten to experience what it is like to have a career. Think about what you are good at your current job (detail-oriented, managing people, communicating, networking, etc...) and how that will be useful in other careers.

Hope that helps!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I can't help but have some reservations about such a chance at this point in your life. If it makes you happy then that's all that matters, but I would advise you to think about other parts of your life and where you would want those parts to be at 40. For instance, do you want a family? Could you have a family and go to school or would you leave that until after 40? Are you in a relationship? How does your SO feel about this? How are your finances? Could you afford to take the time off and go to school?...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is a little drastic. Possible. But drastic. It would be a choice of passion, not about financials.

I think the path at which you break even would be somewhere around age 45? or 50? Depending on how pessimistic/optimistic you are about your current path.

I'm not sure if you have an alternative, like a post grad degree which takes 1.5-2 years but opens doors at a salary level 20-30% higher when you finish so you amortize your time cost better, but you only lose the 2 years of steady income. That way you lose 2 years of income but you roll right back into the workforce as though you never left at a higher pay, and in a slightly or totally different industry.

But if it is for lifelong passion, and you finally realise this is what you truly want... go for it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose not to change careers. The job I want to do became a job for which you need a PhD in the country I now live in. For me, that would mean years of hard work to graduate in my late 30s to early 40s.

I considered the loss of income while retraining, the amount that completing a PhD would cost me, and my ability to complete the course. I think I 'm a smart cookie, just not sure that I, and my family, could handle it - it's a huge commitment! Also, because of the level of study required, I wouldn't be able to get the dream job if I stopped with say a Masters rather than PhD. I'm sure I could do something with the Masters, but the governing body rules that you need a PhD for the job I'd like to have.

In addition, it's a very competive field and when I graduated I'd probably only find part-time work if I were able to work, especially in the current economoic environment. Base rate of pay for a full-time job is approx £5,000 more than I currently earn, though it goes up to roughly £20,000 more than I currently earn from there - depending on length of service, etc.

I absolutely believe that I'd like the job and find it more fulfilling than what I'm currently doing, but the lots of study, years of stress on myself and my family with no guarantee of a job, and the jobs not paying that much more, at least at first, really swung it for me. On my current salary 5k is a huge difference, but not after all the other factors are considered. Sometimes I beat myself up over my lack of motivation to go for it, I am only 30 and have plenty of time! Other times I'm pleased with my decision.

I'm not attempting to discourage you. I do think it's wise to take all these factors into consideration before committing to something. I am still likely to change careers, I want to be more satisified in my work, however I think I'll change to something which requires less training and is in higher demand.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I haven't changed career paths, but I did get my masters degree when I was 28 and had some work experience under my belt in order to know what I really wanted to do. I think you need to do a cost-benefit analysis here. It doesn't have to be exact numbers, but really look at what your time is worth, because 10 years in school is a long time, esp. if you're only going to work in that field for 15+ years. I'd start by working back from when you'd like to retire.

Example:
I want to retire between ages 55-60 (fairly young).
I will assume that there will be NO social security for me (better than assuming there will be, and then not have it).
How much do I need to save in order to make this possible? (retirement calcs. can help you determine a dollar amount)
Can I achieve this on my current income?
Will the loss of income for nearly 10 years while I get a degree be offset by working for 15-20 years in the new career?
How much debt would I be in upon finishing the new degree? How quickly can it be paid off?
Are there good job prospects (be realistic to pessimistic when it comes to this last one)?
Could I just retire earlier from my current job if I stay in the same track? i.e. I can retire at 50 if I continue at my current pace/income, giving me 10 years of my life to do whatever I want, instead of being in school.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1328024082|3115554 said:
I can't help but have some reservations about such a chance at this point in your life. If it makes you happy then that's all that matters, but I would advise you to think about other parts of your life and where you would want those parts to be at 40. For instance, do you want a family? Could you have a family and go to school or would you leave that until after 40? Are you in a relationship? How does your SO feel about this? How are your finances? Could you afford to take the time off and go to school?...

Definitely important things to consider...

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I recently changed careers at 29, but not by choice. I have a bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies and have worked in law since I was just 18. I was laid off of a great job in October 2011 and decided that I had to make a change in order to support my family. After a lot of soul searching and practical research, I studied (a whole 2 weeks!) to become a STNA (State Tested Nursing Assistant). The 2 week course was essentially a semester of college crammed into a short time so it was pretty intense. STNA's usually work in nursing homes and assist the elders in their activities of daily living. It is not glamorous work and the pay sucks. But I love people, I love helping people and at the end of the day money can't be the end all be all of your existence.

I don't know if I'll stick to being an STNA forever and definitely have NO plans to go to nursing school. I doubt I'll be able to go back to being a paralegal with the current state of the local economy - i.e. too many lawyers, not enough work to go around.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm currently a resident and I'm 31. I will be done it all at the age of 36. Which is a 6 year residency and a 2 year fellowship. Obviously I could have been a GP and finished this year, which would have been a lot shorter.

In all honesty, the endless abuse I reap as a resident is getting pretty old. It's less bad as you become more senior, but it's LONG. I look at other people who are my age. They have children. They have interests and hobbies like salsa classes and dining out, which I don't have the time to do. And there are many times I feel like I missed out. But it's a decision and committement you make, but its a LONG haul.

Do I think it's worth it? Well that's a more complex answer. I can tell you, as soon as you are a resident, it is hard. All the things you thought were really cool (i.e operating at night, procedures) quickly become routine and you just want to SLEEP. Is it rewarding? Sometimes. Maybe once a month???? The other times, there's a burden of seeing people sick, dying, and let's face it, it is SAD. And more often then not, it's sad rather then happy/ rewarding.

So my advice is, if you feel that medicine was the ONLY thing you could/ want to do then go for it. But be aware that you will walk through absolute hell (which is residency) to get there. You will not have better working conditions etc, then what you have now. For the next 8 years of your life, you'll have to live a schedule and abuse that simply does not exist in other fields. Last year, as a second year resident, I worked on average 100 hours a week, and took 9 24 hour calls a month. I did not eat breakfast or lunch for the entire year, and got yelled at (in front of OR or patients) at LEAST 1 week. Granted the medical profession is trying to change some of these laws to limit 24 hour calls. They are targeting the call scehduales and not regular working days, so you end up working for 2 hours a week less then before.... And the institution is STILL fighting it.

If it is your calling, then you should never ignore that. But if you feel it will be a *better life* or better then your present situation then I would consider trying something more lifestyle friendly. And less long.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1328017832|3115506 said:
I am unsatisfied by my career path, at age 28. I am considering going back to school for a serious change. The program I want to enter doesn't begin until 2014, so that means I'll be 30 at entry. 34 at graduation. Interning for a year. Another 2-5 years of further study. Holy moly, I'd be almost 40 by the time I was finished with it all.

Have any of you changed paths so severely? I'd like to hear about your experiences, how you managed to juggle responsibilities. I suppose I'll be 40 one day, no matter what. Might as well be a 40 year old doctor. ::)

Do you have all the undergraduate requirements to be accepted into a medical programme? You'll need certain classes (or rather, you need to have passed certain classes with a certain grade within a certain number of years) and you'll need to study for and take the MCAT, your score is only valid for 5 years I believe... if you don't have all of that ready to go you're looking at adding several more semesters of study on top of what you've already calculated.

I agree with Tristan... it'd be a drastic change, one that'd have to be borne of such strong passion that obstacles like responsibilities, finances, etc. pale in comparison. Because, logically, I can only think of the one 'yea', and a thousand and one reasons to say 'nay', but passion that strong can inspire incredible things...

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
DivaDiamond007|1328033736|3115655 said:
I recently changed careers at 29, but not by choice. I have a bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies and have worked in law since I was just 18. I was laid off of a great job in October 2011 and decided that I had to make a change in order to support my family. After a lot of soul searching and practical research, I studied (a whole 2 weeks!) to become a STNA (State Tested Nursing Assistant). The 2 week course was essentially a semester of college crammed into a short time so it was pretty intense. STNA's usually work in nursing homes and assist the elders in their activities of daily living. It is not glamorous work and the pay sucks. But I love people, I love helping people and at the end of the day money can't be the end all be all of your existence.

I don't know if I'll stick to being an STNA forever and definitely have NO plans to go to nursing school. I doubt I'll be able to go back to being a paralegal with the current state of the local economy - i.e. too many lawyers, not enough work to go around.
I also did paralegal studies but have never worked in a firm. I don't know what your regional situation is but have you considered going into contract management? I'd say it's one of the few fields dominated by women that pays very well, with a few years experience you can make in the low six figures in the D.C. area.

To the OP, I think you have to consider not just your time and satisfaction return but also your return on investment...don't undertake a huge financial hardship in return for a satisfying career because at the end of the day stress is stress whether the source is financial strain from not working for years/tuition or from a job you don't like. If you are in the position to pursue it without feeling a pinch you absolutely should.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1328017832|3115506 said:

Can you volunteer at a hospital to get a better feel for the environment?

I am currently starting my career back up again after being a SAHM for 10+ years and am finding it very difficult to get motivated. I never imagined going back to school and studying so I started by enrolling in one class as a test run and am already behind. Ugh. It is because I'm re-entering a field that doesn't appeal to me but is considered "recession proof," and I have to go that route.

Best of luck in your decision!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've had a couple of major career changes:

I started out as a textile designer - then moved to the business side of the fashion industry - then moved to become a designer and stonebuyer for the jewellery industry. So, 3 sideways moves.

Then I moved back to the UK (I'd been in Italy for 8 years) and worked in politics eventually becoming a publically elected representative. Not what I had ever imagined doing with my life!

Leaving politics coincided with my deciding to have a baby (the two are NOT compatible IMO) and having a major falling-out with my employer ending in a year-long legal battle.

In the UK you get a year's maternity leave, on top of that we settled the legal battle out of court in my favour and the settlement was enough to allow me to stay at home for longer and to cover the costs of retraining upfront. I decided that I would rather work for myself - the legal battle left me very jaded towards employers and I wanted something flexible so I could spend as much time with my daughter as possible, and did some serious thinking about what I realistically wanted to do.

I spent 2 years doing evening classes and finally qualified last year and now I am in the process of starting my own business.

I'm very fortunate to have a husband who is prepared to cover the mortgage, childcare costs and bills while I get started - it would be totally impossible otherwise.

I turn 40 in August.

I would be very wary of moving to a career that would be very time intensive at the age you are - especially if you want a family. Examine your reasons behind your wish very, very carefully. Especially consider the costs of further education which seem pretty crippling in the USA.

If you want to move to the science/healthcare sector is there something other than medicine you could do?

My sister retrained as a speech pathologist in her late 20's and it has been a fantastic move - there's a shortage so she found it easy to get jobs, especially part-time as she has 3 kids, and when they decided to move to Australia last year she was welcomed with open arms. The training was nothing like as long, expensive or onerous as a medical degree and she loves her work.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I did a major career change around that age group and I'm thrilled I did.
After 18 years as colorist, I'd reached my peak as an International educator and master colorist. I loved it whilst I was in it but I wanted to be challenged and fulfilled in a new capacity.
I went back to school and now I'm a nurse. I don't regret it for one moment, it's incredibly fulfilling and always has new challenges.
I initially felt I was too old to go back to school in my late 30's but it's never too late.
I could have another 40 years left in me (hopefully!) and I'm glad for the opportunity to take a new direction.
I say go for it if you really want it!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all of the responses - I will respond individually when I'm not at work, using my phone.

I really appreciate different points of view and issues raised. I suppose more details on my particular place in life might be necessary and answer a few questions. First, my undergrad degree was pre-med and I was my class valedictorian. I am now the only from my program that is not an MD/DO. :sick: The only thing that stood in my way of going that route was a debilitating fear of needles. Seriously, pass out at the sight of an injection fear. This is something I have worked through, and can now give my darling dog (see avatar) regular cartrophen injections. I currently already work in a hospital environment, with needles (!), but in a different capacity.

The issue of family has concerned me, only because society tells me it should. My husband and I have a "take them or leave them" view of children. We do not plan to have them, but our lives would not be ruined if it were to occur accidentally. So to me, the age and family issue is not a hang up. My DH is very supportive of the idea and our finances will comfortably allow us to live single income for at least 5 years, possibly more.

I am still mentally and emotionally considering WHY I would like to make this change. But for the record, I am more interested in behind the scenes doctoring - like the microbiology registrars and consultants that I interact with daily. Not exactly patient-heavy doctoring. :bigsmile:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I made a fairly drastic career change from being a celebrity/sports publicist to an animal trainer. I graduated from college the first time at 21, worked as a publicist until I was 23, and then went back to school until I was 26 to become a professional animal trainer/biologist. Mine was an issue of passion. I hated being a publicist and knew I had always wanted to work with animals.

I think the most important thing for you to examine is the finances of going to med school. Because I had already graduated from college once, I was not eligible for grants or federal loans, so all of my loans were private. My 2.5 years in college to get my new degree cost me roughly $80,000. I can't even imagine what your schooling would cost. Then you need to look at 1) how much your school will cost, 2) how long it will take you to pay that off assuming you can get a good job immediately, and 3) how much you would have been able to make in that amount of time if you were not enrolled in school. If you crunch all of those numbers and find that your earning potential is greatly increased and that you'll come out way ahead despite all the sacrifices, then that's one thing, but this one is really tough. I think a lot of people think that going back to school and dramatically changing careers is the "end-all" answer, when in reality it is often just a diversion. I'd really look into other jobs that get you closer to what you're interested in while utilizing your current degree.

Obviously my advice is only based on your posts, because that's all I know of you, but from what I heard, your reasons seem to be because you're comparing yourself to your other classmates ("only one that's not an MD") etc. and not necessarily because you're passionate about being a doctor. In fact, you mention that you'd actually rather be behind-the-scenes.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I think you need to think a LOT more about why exactly you want this change and visit if you can go into microbiology or something that might interest you more just using your pre-med degree rather than going back to school for, as you pointed out, NEARLY A DECADE! That's just too extreme in my opinion, unless you were absolutely, positively passionate about living and breathing practicing medicine, and I really don't get that impression from your posts.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1328022853|3115545 said:
I have to explain (constantly) that appreciation is rare and is the exception, not the rule. You have to do things for yourself, not for other people's appreciation, or you will always be unhappy. Your sense of self has to be in your own hands, not someone else's.
VERY WISE. Also rare & the exception, not the rule: expert craftsmanship. :wink2:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have made a career change. I went back to school a month before my 30th birthday. Granted my program is much shorter, my new career pays significantly less than my pervious one. If I work for money that's all I will ever had. I quickly got burnt out in my former profession and knew *something* was missing. I was called, literally, to a new profession and I have not regretted my choice once. Happiness is everything and on my death bed I imagine I won't be grateful about the money I earned but the lives I changed.

My dad went to medial school in his late 20s. He did not get his real job until he was almost 36. He has had a wonderful, successful career. He works with a lot of residents and many are older. I do not think if medicine in your real passion you should let time/age stand in your way.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think the concept of returning post-graduate here in Australia is much more affordable than in the Stares, so the issue of finances doesn't seem to be a sticking point...the earning vs outlay of money has a clear "winner," though that's only a bonus, not a motivator. The 4 year grad degree is only about $35k, thanks to the program being heavily govt funded.

I raised the issue of previous peers now being MD/DOs to illustrate the fact that my current degree is designed to transition into the field, so at least the pump is primed with bio/chem, so to speak. :twirl: I am already in microbiology, so I suppose it's not so much a career change as a serious upgrade of credentials. I think my motivator at large is stagnation. There is no upward mobility in my current position - I'm at the top now, with another 35 years of routine microbiology ahead of me. I crave a more high pressure, peopke orientated, varied workload.

Now, to decide if being a clinician will provide that, and at what expense. It IS nice to hear there have been others who were unsatisfied and found a new path later in life.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You being in Australia is a big plus - $35k is very different from the $350k you'd probably be facing from what I've seen in the USA.

The fact you would also be moving sideways is also a good thing - I was imagining more lawyer to doctor or something!

On the kids front, I didn't want any at all - until baby fever hit at 36... don't underestimate that possibility! ;))

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1328034793|3115672 said:
DivaDiamond007|1328033736|3115655 said:

I also did paralegal studies but have never worked in a firm. I don't know what your regional situation is but have you considered going into contract management? I'd say it's one of the few fields dominated by women that pays very well, with a few years experience you can make in the low six figures in the D.C. area.

To the OP, I think you have to consider not just your time and satisfaction return but also your return on investment...don't undertake a huge financial hardship in return for a satisfying career because at the end of the day stress is stress whether the source is financial strain from not working for years/tuition or from a job you don't like. If you are in the position to pursue it without feeling a pinch you absolutely should.

:wavey: Kelpie
I live in Ohio and there's no such thing as a paralegal making anywhere near the six figure range around here, no matter what area of law you are in. In my immediate area pay stalls out around 30K-35K if I had to estimate. If I wanted to move to Cincinnati or Columbus I could probably (a) find a job and (b) make more money but moving is not an option for my family.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1328055081|3115951 said:
Thank you for all of the responses - I will respond individually when I'm not at work, using my phone.

I really appreciate different points of view and issues raised. I suppose more details on my particular place in life might be necessary and answer a few questions. First, my undergrad degree was pre-med and I was my class valedictorian. I am now the only from my program that is not an MD/DO. :sick: The only thing that stood in my way of going that route was a debilitating fear of needles. Seriously, pass out at the sight of an injection fear. This is something I have worked through, and can now give my darling dog (see avatar) regular cartrophen injections. I currently already work in a hospital environment, with needles (!), but in a different capacity.

The issue of family has concerned me, only because society tells me it should. My husband and I have a "take them or leave them" view of children. We do not plan to have them, but our lives would not be ruined if it were to occur accidentally. So to me, the age and family issue is not a hang up. My DH is very supportive of the idea and our finances will comfortably allow us to live single income for at least 5 years, possibly more.

I am still mentally and emotionally considering WHY I would like to make this change. But for the record, I am more interested in behind the scenes doctoring - like the microbiology registrars and consultants that I interact with daily. Not exactly patient-heavy doctoring. :bigsmile:

I have got to say, I have never seen an MD so much as pick up a needle. They write the orders, RNs do the work.
Scopes have broadened, at least here. I can't speak for Oz, but if you were here I wouldn't let that be of concern at all.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you...

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Maple femme: I think that's because you haven't seen patients sick enough! I'm a surgical resident so I pick up needles all the time. But aside from surgery, normal MD will out in central lines (you stick a huge needles in the internal jugular) as well as put in arterial lines, and do blood gases all which require needles. If you're not in a hospital and do clinic work there are still vaccines. I think the only discipline which can completely avoid needles is psych.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Um. Doctors pick up needles all the time. Every time a nurse fails to cannulate my chemotherapy patients with tiny veins, I get called. I put in central lines. Ive put in arterial lines. Even my pysch collegues have occasionally had to resuscitate patients and administer adrenaline. You will put in hundreds of needles, lines as a junior doctor.

But that's nothing. It's the 100 hour weeks, sleep deprivation, constant ritual humiliation and complete lack of any social life that I really did not like. I'm 2 years from consultancy and at 31, there's no way I'd go back to what I have endured to get where I am now.

I've still got 2 professional exams to get through. :-o

Honestly, think hard about this.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1328390657|3119131 said:
Um. Doctors pick up needles all the time. Every time a nurse fails to cannulate my chemotherapy patients with tiny veins, I get called. I put in central lines. Ive put in arterial lines. Even my pysch collegues have occasionally had to resuscitate patients and administer adrenaline. You will put in hundreds of needles, lines as a junior doctor.

But that's nothing. It's the 100 hour weeks, sleep deprivation, constant ritual humiliation and complete lack of any social life that I really did not like. I'm 2 years from consultancy and at 31, there's no way I'd go back to what I have endured to get where I am now.

I've still got 2 professional exams to get through. :-o

Honestly, think hard about this.

Sad sad sad sad sad. :((

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Rosetta, are you in the States? I've had a few frank discussions with the registrars and consultants in my daily work (here in Oz), and while they all agree it is a career that requires 100% dedication, they were all equally agreed that it is not as severe as you, and others, have suggested. No 100 hour weeks (sounds like 70ish is the norm), time off for holidays (one reg was in Greece for 17 days this year), and the ability to stop studying, take maternity leave, and then return to the program (as one of our new regs has recently done). The only one I've spoken with who said she'd take another career path if offered a redo suggested that her main source of unhappiness was the constant interaction with people - she said that perhaps research would have suited her personality a bit better.

It sounds to me as if the American vs Australian medical school experience might be a good old fashioned case of comparing apples and, well, broccoli. I don't think there's any chance I would elect to go down this path in the States, with the cost and unhealthy environment/lifestyle. With the suggested life of an American intern, I'm surprised there are enough doctors to go around. :knockout: Good on you for going the distance!

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
I changed careers in my mid twenties. Two law degrees and a year of articling later am now practising corporate law (before law, I started out in business). It was the right decision for me.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Rosetta: I assume you are oncology. My brother is a fellow in oncology right now. His hours are less bad (maybe 90 hours a week?) and his calls are lighter. He says it's lifestyle friendly compared to when he was in core internal medicine residency.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results