shape
carat
color
clarity

Any tips for stomach problem

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
since friday night I was not able to eat much. stomach is in pain all the time and when I try to force myself to eat I throw up. Went to the Dr. yesterday and he gave me some pills for vomit and pain and told me to drink gatorade, eat banana, rice, toast etc. Still can barely take any bite of anything, probably had 3 bananas and some other fruits all day yesterday. I think my stomach is in pain because I'm so hungry but yet I can't really seems to be able to eat much.
Anybody have any tips for this? I don't get sick often and this has been so painful... :blackeye:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh minmin, I'm so sorry you are ill! Do you feel nauseous? If you do I find anything ginger helps- ginger ale, fresh ginger ground up added to whatever you are trying to eat. Maybe some oatmeal? What doesn't make you feel queasy at the thought of it? Soda crackers or saltines might help. I wish I could think of something better for you. Sending you lots of feeling better dust and hoping you are back to healthy in no time!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Stay hydrated!

You must keep liquid in your system! It is actually life threatening if you don't. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand, if it doesn't return to it's old position quickly, you're dehydrated. If you start to get a dull headache or your lips are chapped, that's also a sign.

You MUST drink water. Gatorade hydrates you because it has a mild amount of salt that balances your electrolytes, and if they get whacked, it will cause enormous fatigue and a dizzy/fainting feeling.

Desani is also helpful because it has manganese and potassium.

Your doctor gave you exactly the right advice, but don't try to eat if it's just going to make you throw up. Sip water, have some ice popsicles, suck on ice chips if you have to. Keep the liquids down. If you feel yourself going over the edge into sleepy, dizzy, weakness, get some pediatric electrolyte solution in the kid's section at the drugstore. Dehydration can land you in the hospital, so watch out!

Oddly fresh oranges (not juice) is an emergency revive for those with dysentary/nausea in Africa. Try one slowly.

Make sure and come back and tell me when you're feeling better, I'm going to worry about you until you do. :|

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the tips guys. I will try to drink more water, been only drinking gatorade. It's just really hard knowing the pain from my stomach and ribs is from hunger but I can't even eat anything =( every time I sit up or walk a little my chest feels a little pressured too.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
How old are you? Any history of heart problems in your family? Any pain in the arms or shoulders? Vomiting can sometimes be a symptom of heart issues in women. I really doubt it, but the pain in your chest could be that, but is most likely a pulled muscle from the vomiting.

Can you keep an Aleve down?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for Italian ices and Pedialyte - when I had dreadful food poisoning (lost 10 lbs overnight, good times) it was the only thing that kept me going. Sleep as much as you can, let your body retire. Hugs, hon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1362320815|3395069 said:
Thank you for the tips guys. I will try to drink more water, been only drinking gatorade. It's just really hard knowing the pain from my stomach and ribs is from hunger but I can't even eat anything =( every time I sit up or walk a little my chest feels a little pressured too.

Did the doctor say you had a virus and that was causing the upset? Or is it something else? I definitely agree with iLander that hydration is key and gatorade is good because it helps replenish the electrolytes you are losing from not eating/vomiting. {{{hugs}}}

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It's odd that it's lasted so long. As the others have said, hydration is important. For food, when you are ready, you should stick to easily digestible things like rice and over-cooked vegetables and meats. You can make a simple rice porridge with broth (vegetable or meat broth).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you feel achy? Nauseated? Have a fever or chills or anything? Diarrhea? Or is it just vomiting if you eat? One of our providers, when I had heat exhaustion, told me to mix PowerAde 1/2 and 1/2 w/water, rather than Gatorade. The Gatorade she said has..well I forget but she had a reason..too much can cause crystals in your urine or something weird like that. Definitely munch bananas if you can keep them down.

Trapper got sick Friday, vomited a few times, but no fever. Didn't eat or drink anything for several hours, then he had some powerade, and ate some peanut butter m&m's, and was ok by supper to eat some French fries and the burger/cheese out of his happy meal, and he's been fine ever since.

Hydration is the most important part...but if you can keep something down for a little bit, maybe that would help, even if it just came back up an hour later-it's still an hour of nutrients being absorbed. Maybe some chicken broth?

Did your Dr. say what he thought you had? Pain in the chest etc seems like something to keep an eye on, you know? Like maybe the vomiting is a symptom of something else..appendicitis or a blockage or something? ugh I sound like such a worrywart, I'm sorry.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1362321139|3395074 said:
How old are you? Any history of heart problems in your family? Any pain in the arms or shoulders? Vomiting can sometimes be a symptom of heart issues in women. I really doubt it, but the pain in your chest could be that, but is most likely a pulled muscle from the vomiting.

I'm turning 31 soon. no heart problem history in my family but Dr. from before did say I have a very small issue with my heart which is nothing major before. no pain in the arm or should.
Aleve is a drug for pain? I do have some advil, will that work?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1362321212|3395076 said:
Another vote for Italian ices and Pedialyte - when I had dreadful food poisoning (lost 10 lbs overnight, good times) it was the only thing that kept me going. Sleep as much as you can, let your body retire. Hugs, hon.

Thank you, will send him over to get some when he is up =) I've been sleeping alot as well

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
missy|1362321245|3395078 said:
minmin001|1362320815|3395069 said:

Did the doctor say you had a virus and that was causing the upset? Or is it something else? I definitely agree with iLander that hydration is key and gatorade is good because it helps replenish the electrolytes you are losing from not eating/vomiting. {{{hugs}}}

he didn't say but he did say that he saw more people with stomach virus these days

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1362321481|3395081 said:
It's odd that it's lasted so long. As the others have said, hydration is important. For food, when you are ready, you should stick to easily digestible things like rice and over-cooked vegetables and meats. You can make a simple rice porridge with broth (vegetable or meat broth).

Dr. said recently he saw people like this last about 3 days which I hope is not my case.. I've made some porridge yesterday, normally it's my favorite sick food but this time I just can't seem to be able to eat them =(

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1362322320|3395093 said:
Do you feel achy? Nauseated? Have a fever or chills or anything? Diarrhea? Or is it just vomiting if you eat? One of our providers, when I had heat exhaustion, told me to mix PowerAde 1/2 and 1/2 w/water, rather than Gatorade. The Gatorade she said has..well I forget but she had a reason..too much can cause crystals in your urine or something weird like that. Definitely munch bananas if you can keep them down.

Trapper got sick Friday, vomited a few times, but no fever. Didn't eat or drink anything for several hours, then he had some powerade, and ate some peanut butter m&m's, and was ok by supper to eat some French fries and the burger/cheese out of his happy meal, and he's been fine ever since.

Hydration is the most important part...but if you can keep something down for a little bit, maybe that would help, even if it just came back up an hour later-it's still an hour of nutrients being absorbed. Maybe some chicken broth?

Did your Dr. say what he thought you had? Pain in the chest etc seems like something to keep an eye on, you know? Like maybe the vomiting is a symptom of something else..appendicitis or a blockage or something? ugh I sound like such a worrywart, I'm sorry.

my body does achy with chills, but no fever. Haven't vomit much since I ate so little and also been taking pills for vomit as well. tried to drink some chicken noodle soup friday night which is what made me vomit very soon. =(

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1362322743|3395099 said:

I'm turning 31 soon. no heart problem history in my family but Dr. from before did say I have a very small issue with my heart which is nothing major before. no pain in the arm or should.

Let's not do Advil for this, Aleve is specifically for muscles, and if you pulled something while throwing up, it will help. Also, the stomach contractions are fatiguing those muscles and giving you pain. Send someone out for Aleve. Just one for this dose.

NO aspirin! It will just add to your stomach upset.

Did the Dr listen to your heart when you visited him?

ETA: what did you eat on Friday?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add applesauce to the list of things you might be able to keep down.

Are you able to keep the water or gatorade down? If not, you might need to go to the hospital (have someone drive you!) to get hydrated via IV.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1362323217|3395108 said:
minmin001|1362322743|3395099 said:

Let's not do Advil for this, Aleve is specifically for muscles, and if you pulled something while throwing up, it will help. Also, the stomach contractions are fatiguing those muscles and giving you pain. Send someone out for Aleve. Just one for this dose.

NO aspirin! It will just add to your stomach upset.

Did the Dr listen to your heart when you visited him?

ETA: what did you eat on Friday?

He did listen to my heart and said it was a little fast. I ate some left overs on friday which may be a bad idea

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1362326650|3395140 said:

Are you able to keep the water or gatorade down? If not, you might need to go to the hospital (have someone drive you!) to get hydrated via IV.

Yes, I can keep the liquids down and also eatting banana right now =) thank you

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1362328877|3395164 said:
VRBeauty|1362326650|3395140 said:

Yes, I can keep the liquids down and also eatting banana right now =) thank you

It sounds like you're on the way to getting better! :appl: I had what sounds like something similar a few weeks ago - it lasted four days (which of course included a weekend. :rolleyes: ) Take it easy as you transition back to regular food, but be sure to include some yogurt when you can.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the notion of a pregnancy test and of ginger tea. Make it with fresh ginger sliced and steeped in freshly boiled water. Its not the best tasting, but it really does help stomach upset. You've gotten great advice and I hope you feel better soon. Please continue to post!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1362338868|3395272 said:
I second the notion of a pregnancy test and of ginger tea. Make it with fresh ginger sliced and steeped in freshly boiled water. Its not the best tasting, but it really does help stomach upset. You've gotten great advice and I hope you feel better soon. Please continue to post!

ty, i will give it a try =)

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1362339674|3395284 said:
JaneSmith|1362338379|3395263 said:
Have you done a preg test?

no, never thought about it since i'm always on the pill

also consider I went to the bathroom at least 20 times today so far, my guess is i'm sick :blackeye:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You haven't, by any chance, been on any antibiotics recently, have you? A friend of mine was on the pill and had some infection or other and the doctor gave her something to fight off the infection - *I believe* it was antibiotic. In any case, it rendered the pill ineffective and she now has a beautiful daughter - unexpected but wonderful!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1362342142|3395319 said:
You haven't, by any chance, been on any antibiotics recently, have you? A friend of mine was on the pill and had some infection or other and the doctor gave her something to fight off the infection - *I believe* it was antibiotic. In any case, it rendered the pill ineffective and she now has a beautiful daughter - unexpected but wonderful!

no i havent been on anything.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1362342133|3395318 said:
minmin001|1362339674|3395284 said:
JaneSmith|1362338379|3395263 said:
Have you done a preg test?

no, never thought about it since i'm always on the pill

also consider I went to the bathroom at least 20 times today so far, my guess is i'm sick :blackeye:

Keep watching out for dehydration, since diarrhea can also contribute to dehydration.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1362344506|3395368 said:
Oh good (I think?)!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that my reply has come out sound a little rude. /hugs~

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your help and tips. I feel much better now and hopefully I will be able to eat something very soon tonight =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results