shape
carat
color
clarity

A thought about Hangout and how it used to be...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to enjoy Hangout, but I rarely come here anymore because it is almost all politics. We used to have many interesting, lighthearted, and various other topics here, such as personal issues,etc., but they are mostly absent now.

My wish would be that a Politics forum be reintroduced and have Hangout be politics free. That way we could have Hangout back, and those who enjoy Politics could have their own forum section.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Diamondseeker! I agree completely. This way everyone who wants to can discuss politics to their heart's content and just maybe Hangout can get a rejuvenation and makeover and attract more posters.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: I agree as well. This election has really brought about a lot of emotion and - while I like discussing politics on occasion - it seems to have flooded what used to be a place for friendly discussions of various, non-hot button topics.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, this has been the topic of conversation in other threads recently.
I agree that it would be nice to see politics separated from Hangout.
Yes, I understand that if you don't want to talk politics, then you don't go into those threads, but the political threads seem to dominate this forum. I don't care for the tone it's set here, which is why I don't visit as often as I used to :((

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I had asked if at least people could just add to existing threads instead of creating daily ones ragging on the President.

I was told" if you do not like it, do not read them."

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1485010329|4117445 said:
. I don't care for the tone it's set here, which is why I don't visit as often as I used to :((

THIS! :clap: :clap: I pop in & out, but all the bullying & negativity in 'hangout' (political threads) is like eating a rotted peanut; the foul bitterness makes you not want more. Then time passes, the bad taste in your mouth is gone, you go back for another, and bam, there it is again. :wall:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Of course we have a choice whether to read or not.

Or visit PS or not.

I am not sure any attention is good (for business etc).

cheers--Sharon

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1485007654|4117415 said:
I used to enjoy Hangout, but I rarely come here anymore because it is almost all politics. We used to have many interesting, lighthearted, and various other topics here, such as personal issues,etc., but they are mostly absent now.

My wish would be that a Politics forum be reintroduced and have Hangout be politics free. That way we could have Hangout back, and those who enjoy Politics could have their own forum section.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't agree more DS! Hangout has been hijacked :rolleyes: Couldn't Hangout and Politics be separated?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer a separate forum as well for political threads. Just my 2cts!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I used to check in a few times a day. Now, I am down to maybe a couple times a week. I read a bit, am disheartened by the tone and move on to less negative forums. I haven't even been lingering long enough to browse pre-loved. A positive for my wallet but not so good for those who are trying to sell. Of course, I know I can choose not to read the offending threads but there have been so many that many people are not hanging out in Hangout so there just aren't many non-politically focused threads. If it doesn't change, my time here will be ever decreasing as I choose to spend my time on more positive, pleasant topics.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I am the one primarily posting political threads, here are my thoughts. What you are really complaining about is the lack of topics that interest you and the enjoyment of others participating in discussions you don't like. So post topics that interest you. If you look at the first 4 or so pages of Hangouts, you can easily see which topics get the most traffic outside of politics -- perfumes, movies, books, pets, nature, nail polish and a few others. So you apparently aren't interested in reading or participating in those topics on a regular basis either.

I just don't understand why those of you who oppose political threads being merged in Hangouts find it difficult to scroll down through any threads you don't like and read/participate in the ones you do like.

And if you want to be fair about it, what of those of us who find it unappealing to see threads that used to dominate Hangouts? Those that go on for pages about some personal/tragic incident befalling a member where there are tons of the same advice repeated over and over and over and all of the participating posters share their own similar experiences and it becomes a giant coffee klatch of woe-is-me from people who seem to have a difficult time dealing with any glitch life throws their way.

Do people who think those posts are boring or too personal and revealing consistently whine about them or make harsh comments in them? I can tell you that there were times I wanted to scream from the inaneness of some of them. So guess what I did? I stopped reading them, scrolled right past them, and respected the choices of others to post stuff I didn't like and wasn't interested in.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485019518|4117517 said:
Since I am the one primarily posting political threads, here are my thoughts. What you are really complaining about is the lack of topics that interest you and the enjoyment of others participating in discussions you don't like. So post topics that interest you. If you look at the first 4 or so pages of Hangouts, you can easily see which topics get the most traffic outside of politics -- perfumes, movies, books, pets, nature, nail polish and a few others. So you apparently aren't interested in reading or participating in those topics on a regular basis either.

I just don't understand why those of you who oppose political threads being merged in Hangouts find it difficult to scroll down through any threads you don't like and read/participate in the ones you do like.

And if you want to be fair about it, what of those of us who find it unappealing to see threads that used to dominate Hangouts? Those that go on for pages about some personal/tragic incident befalling a member where there are tons of the same advice repeated over and over and over and all of the participating posters share their own similar experiences and it becomes a giant coffee klatch of woe-is-me from people who seem to have a difficult time dealing with any glitch life throws their way.

Do people who think those posts are boring or too personal and revealing consistently whine about them or make harsh comments in them? I can tell you that there were times I wanted to scream from the inaneness of some of them. So guess what I did? I stopped reading them, scrolled right past them, and respected the choices of others to post stuff I didn't like and wasn't interested in.

Matata: for a long while there was a political forum here on PS--why not entreat the Mods to reinstate it? What could be the objection?

cheers--Sharon

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To which I will add this...

Do you know what will happen if a separate forum is set up for politics? You'll have ATW again. Here's how that works....

One side will continue what has gone on in here (posting memes, discussing a laughing amongst themselves, poking fun at the tweets, etc). Some of the loyal opposition who are willing and able to hang, will go there too. But many on the other side, which has been whinging ever more loudly that they should not have soil their delicate eyes having to even skim the title of a thread with an upsetting subject, will follow those of us who aren't so delicate, to the place they banished us, because the real goal here is to get those who disagree with them, to just shut up. And of course they're simply going to have to see what we're talking about over there, because the temptation will be too much. So they will come in, willingly read those threads, and then start primly complaining again about how it's making PS mean, etc. Of course it won't actually BE as mean as they claim because PS is no longer truly mean (trust me on this one). But that won't stop the complaining, because complaining is fun.

This game about reality and how much of it certain posters should be "subjected to" has been played on PS in various permutations, for as long as I've been here. I will say what I always say in these battles, if you don't like it or you're not interested in having to read something you might not agree with, or having to defend a position with something more than I-believe-it-and-demand-you-respect-that-belief (even if it's about The Theory of Intelligent Falling) don't go in the thread. Don't enter the arena of ideas. Trying to quash discussion of certain things - be it the nail polish du jour, or politics, health, whatever, just shows how insecure you are.

This is so not hard, but it sure seems to elude a lot of people.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1485019969|4117525 said:

To which I will add this...

Do you know what will happen if a separate forum is set up for politics? You'll have ATW again. Here's how that works....

One side will continue what has gone on in here (posting memes, discussing a laughing amongst themselves, poking fun at the tweets, etc). Some of the loyal opposition who are willing and able to hang, will go there too. But many on the other side, which has been whinging ever more loudly that they should not have soil their delicate eyes having to even skim the title of a thread with an upsetting subject, will follow those of us who aren't so delicate, to the place they banished us, because the real goal here is to get those who disagree with them, to just shut up. And of course they're simply going to have to see what we're talking about over there, because the temptation will be too much. So they will come in, willingly read those threads, and then start primly complaining again about how it's making PS mean, etc. Of course it won't actually BE as mean as they claim because PS is no longer truly mean (trust me on this one). But that won't stop the complaining, because complaining is fun.

This game about reality and how much of it certain posters should be "subjected to" has been played on PS in various permutations, for as long as I've been here. I will say what I always say in these battles, if you don't like it or you're not interested in having to read something you might not agree with, or having to defend a position with something more than I-believe-it-and-demand-you-respect-that-belief (even if it's about The Theory of Intelligent Falling) don't go in the thread. Don't enter the arena of ideas. Trying to quash discussion of certain things - be it the nail polish du jour, or politics, health, whatever, just shows how insecure you are.

This is so not hard, but it sure seems to elude a lot of people.

ATW was a banishment? That would be grievous indeed if it were in fact true. Knowing your posts KS, you must have some kind of evidence b/c my simple and delicate brain cannot otherwise comprehend what you say. THAT does elude me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think what some of us are saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that this isn't necessarily about specific threads. It's about the tone/atmosphere the threads have created. People seem more snippy and more intolerant of one another. Some of us feel there is a negativity here that we didn't feel before.
I really haven't been here that long, so clearly, I don't know how things used to be. I just know that it feels different here, I come here less often, and others have said the same thing.
I don't think political discussions are a bad thing - quite the opposite actually and I sometimes choose to engage in those discussions.
In all fairness, it's not just here that I've noticed the changes. Hate is everywhere it seems.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1485019834|4117523 said:
Matata: for a long while there was a political forum here on PS--why not entreat the Mods to reinstate it? What could be the objection?

cheers--Sharon
I have no objection. I knew this issue would arise when the mods made the decision to merge the topics. I can't remember why the mods decided to merge the sections. If you want them separated again, talk to the people who have the authority to make the change.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006,

I only know you though reading your posts on PS, and you've always given me the impression of being a considerate, thoughtful, knowledgeable and respectful individual. You and others like you are why I've enjoyed PS so much.

I would love to see more non-political threads in Hangout, or have the political ones grouped so that its easier to zoom in on them or ignore them, based on one's preference.

I've read the obvious response of 'if you don't like it, don't read it' and, yes, that's true.

Also true that if I want to see more non-political threads then I'm free to start such threads.

Whether the topic is politics or not, what I find sad and disheartening are comments in PS and the media that I perceive as bullying, intolerance for differing opinions, and disrespect. Earlier this morning, I read a nasty article in the media about the dress worn by Mrs. Pence. Honestly, what is wrong with people? What would make a person think its appropriate to write such a hurtful thing - and about a non-issue; by the way, the article was written by a woman.

I love learning, hearing other people's opinions, etc., but I have no desire to get pounced on or attacked and engage in a never-ending attempt to justify my opinion. Discussions are one thing, but bullying, disrespect, and being tossed into the 'ignorant' bin for disagreeing with another's opinion - no, thanks.

Hmmm, perhaps just showing my age by wishing for a more respectful tone and society. :angel:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer a politics-free Hangout, and this is NOT a complaint, just an expressed desire, so please, DO NOT jump down my throat about me complaining, thanks in advance.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
december-fire|1485020896|4117535 said:
diamondseeker2006,

I only know you though reading your posts on PS, and you've always given me the impression of being a considerate, thoughtful, knowledgeable and respectful individual. You and others like you are why I've enjoyed PS so much.

I would love to see more non-political threads in Hangout, or have the political ones grouped so that its easier to zoom in on them or ignore them, based on one's preference.

I've read the obvious response of 'if you don't like it, don't read it' and, yes, that's true.

Also true that if I want to see more non-political threads then I'm free to start such threads.

Whether the topic is politics or not, what I find sad and disheartening are comments in PS and the media that I perceive as bullying, intolerance for differing opinions, and disrespect. Earlier this morning, I read a nasty article in the media about the dress worn by Mrs. Pence. Honestly, what is wrong with people? What would make a person think its appropriate to write such a hurtful thing - and about a non-issue; by the way, the article was written by a woman.

I love learning, hearing other people's opinions, etc., but I have no desire to get pounced on or attacked and engage in a never-ending attempt to justify my opinion. Discussions are one thing, but bullying, disrespect, and being tossed into the 'ignorant' bin for disagreeing with another's opinion - no, thanks.

Hmmm, perhaps just showing my age by wishing for a more respectful tone and society. :angel:

I commented in a thread here about how I thought Melania looked lovely in her inaugural gown and it was responded to with a comment about how she looked fat.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1485021055|4117536 said:
I too prefer a politics-free Hangout, and this is NOT a complaint, just an expressed desire, so please, DO NOT jump down my throat about me complaining, thanks in advance.

DK :))

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It took me forever to write my earlier post because I kept deleting stuff and re-wording with the hope that no one would 'jump down my throat'!

I'll add that the tone of some posts (in other threads) bother me but that's my problem.

And, yes, there are threads I don't read for various reasons, and I can continue to do so. :))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think one of the things that happens in the highly charged discussions here is that we get hung up on how people label themselves. Liberal, liberal-elite, "insert religious belief of your choice", etc. causes people to view a person within the stereotyped definition of that particular label. I often wonder if or how discussions would change if we just stopped with the labeling. Instead of hurling "liberal" or "christian" (of which I'm guilty) at someone as an insult, we just say "I believe" or "I think" and not self-identify an affiliation. As soon as someone calls someone else a conservative or a liberal, the conversation turns ugly as posters rail against, not a particular posters ideas, but the stereotype associated with the label.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Currently on my page 1 in Hangout 39+% of threads are politically focused. No one is saying that politics should never be discussed. However, it has become excessive on PS. Obviously, in the opinions of many. No other topic has come anywhere close to the frequency of the recent political posts. It has reached a whole new level of "beating a dead horse".

Another forum of which I am a member chose to create a single "door" at the top of their version of Hangout through which politically minded folks could enter and discuss politics to their hearts content. They did this because they were experiencing the same slowing of participation. These websites depend on advertising dollars and vendors start to spend their dollars elsewhere as traffic decreases. It has worked quite well. Why is that so objectionable to some here? You can post away and those who are interested can engage with you endlessly. Frankly, I just don't want to see it. I'm over it. Perhaps for the same reason I am not a good thrift store shopper. I am not interested in wading through all the stuff, currently nearly 40% in just one category, in which I have no interest to find the occasional gem I may be interested in.

No one has to change anything, of course. Those of us who have voiced this desire, those of us who are "insecure" and "delicate" and "prim" can continue to be disregarded. Name calling always helps and leads to productive discourse, after all. As happened on another forum, they will likely simply move on. Ultimately, the only ones who pay the price are the vendors and eventually the website itself. There are plenty of other forums for people to spend time frequenting.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1485021509|4117541 said:
diamondseeker2006,

I commented in a thread here about how I thought Melania looked lovely in her inaugural gown and it was responded to with a comment about how she looked fat.

I didn't see that, but let me guess - was the person who made the comment a woman?
Sorry, ladies, but geez :rolleyes:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1485020505|4117530 said:
I think what some of us are saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that this isn't necessarily about specific threads. It's about the tone/atmosphere the threads have created. People seem more snippy and more intolerant of one another. Some of us feel there is a negativity here that we didn't feel before.
I really haven't been here that long, so clearly, I don't know how things used to be. I just know that it feels different here, I come here less often, and others have said the same thing.
I don't think political discussions are a bad thing - quite the opposite actually and I sometimes choose to engage in those discussions.
In all fairness, it's not just here that I've noticed the changes. Hate is everywhere it seems.

I would agree with this. I participate in the political discussions from time to time, but when they get ugly, disrespectful, bullying, etc., it's not constructive. But no one is trying to silence anyone else with this suggestion. Just like there are separate forums for colored stones, diamonds, antique pieces, and pearls, having the political threads in its own section just organizes the discussions. Is it really going to kill someone to click one more arrow to get there? :roll:

But more importantly, think about how someone new to PS would feel popping in here for the first time and reading some of the mean-spirited, hateful, bullying things longtime memebers (some being the same also offering diamond/gemstone advice) have posted in these political threads. I do feel it may reflect negatively on the forum as a whole, and consequently, the advertisers; after all, it's natural to wonder about the advice someone might give who just crudely disparaged someone else's beliefs and feelings.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1485021941|4117549 said:
Currently on my page 1 in Hangout 39+% of threads are politically focused. No one is saying that politics should never be discussed. However, it has become excessive on PS. Obviously, in the opinions of many. No other topic has come anywhere close to the frequency of the recent political posts. It has reached a whole new level of "beating a dead horse".

Another forum of which I am a member chose to create a single "door" at the top of their version of Hangout through which politically minded folks could enter and discuss politics to their hearts content. They did this because they were experiencing the same slowing of participation. These websites depend on advertising dollars and vendors start to spend their dollars elsewhere as traffic decreases. It has worked quite well. Why is that so objectionable to some here? You can post away and those who are interested can engage with you endlessly. Frankly, I just don't want to see it. I'm over it. Perhaps for the same reason I am not a good thrift store shopper. I am not interested in wading through all the stuff, currently nearly 40% in just one category, in which I have no interest to find the occasional gem I may be interested in.

No one has to change anything, of course. Those of us who have voiced this desire, those of us who are "insecure" and "delicate" and "prim" can continue to be disregarded. Name calling always helps and leads to productive discourse, after all. As happened on another forum, they will likely simply move on. Ultimately, the only ones who pay the price are the vendors and eventually the website itself. There are plenty of other forums for people to spend time frequenting.
No one is objecting to politics being moved to a separate area. Remember, it was the mods decision to merge it with Hangout. Email the mods and ask. If enough people ask, they may choose to accommodate the request.

There are hundreds of people participating in the political threads compared to far less in other topics. So traffic has increased. Prior to the political threads, folks were complaining that Hangouts was a dead zone. But none of that matters. The traffic on the jewelry-only forums is probably what concerns vendors most. Fifty or so people who don't like the way Hangout is now will not affect their ability to generate sales.

Hangouts was created because non-jewelry related topics started creeping into threads and Pricescope's owners at the time were not happy about it. Many long-time posters asked for a forum to be created because they said they were bored discussing only jewelry-related subjects and traffic started to wane (ironic, isn't it?).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1485021854|4117547 said:

I think one of the things that happens in the highly charged discussions here is that we get hung up on how people label themselves. Liberal, liberal-elite, "insert religious belief of your choice", etc. causes people to view a person within the stereotyped definition of that particular label. I often wonder if or how discussions would change if we just stopped with the labeling. Instead of hurling "liberal" or "christian" (of which I'm guilty) at someone as an insult, we just say "I believe" or "I think" and not self-identify an affiliation. As soon as someone calls someone else a conservative or a liberal, the conversation turns ugly as posters rail against, not a particular posters ideas, but the stereotype associated with the label.

Yes labeling people can be inflammatory.

Matata said:

I think (see what I did there) this is a labeling and a contemptuous one at that. That is the feeling I got from reading what you wrote Matata.

december-fire said:
diamondseeker2006,

Agree with you december fire.

And blech to the fat comment. Didn't see it but childish comments like that get us all nowhere. And are anti women and a way of taking the power from women when focusing on their appearance so surprising a woman felt the need to say that.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really care one way or the other. The nastiness is indicative of the country now which is sad. I was not here for the 2008 and 2012 elections so have no basis of comparison. I am of the opinion that if the disagreement can be kept within the actual threads and not pour over into innocuous topics then I am fine with it. The minute Matata or Monnie (or anyone else) start being nasty to me in a funny meme thread or in IJWTS or "insert random thread here" because they don't like my politics, they have crossed a line. Some other people are just nasty by nature and we can ignore them or choose to engage. I make up my mind at the time I read it. They do not affect my well being one iota.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results