shape
carat
color
clarity

Hypno-therapy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Has any here had experience with it? And how long before it makes any behavioral change? My reason for asking is that I am finally going to tackle getting on a plane alone. I know I have mentioned in many threads in the past that I am beyond terrified of flying and need to be drugged or I have a major panic attack. (learned this from a high school exchange trip)

Someone in my office said they had a relative do it to quit smoking and it seemed to have an positive outcome and they suggested it to me. I decided to go see my brother in Germany, only thing I have to make a connecting flight at Keflavik so I can''t be as drugged as I have been in the past for flying. I know that I can''t do it without drugs. I booked the flight two weeks ago and have already had a couple of episodes of anxiety.

I do meditation and ocassionally do guided imagery, so I''m not sure if I would be really receptive to someone else being in my head, as strange as it sounds.

I should be excited to go back to Europe and hang with my brother for two weeks, but everytime someone asks am I excited or looking forward to it, my heart starts going nuts. I leave Oct 17th and almost every day it''s freaking me out more.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have a few thoughts.

I've done hyponotherapy, but it was done in conjunction with talk therapy and energy work. It was not for a specfic issue, like quitting smoking, or getting over a specific fear, although this therapist does do that type of work as well. I would be cautious in selecting a hypnotherapist, i.e. I would not choose one who advertises help within a few hours for a flat fee in the newspaper. Perhaps your co-worker has a recommendation for you? Also, it is not really like the therapist is in your head, so much as she is guiding you from outside yourself while you are in a state of intense relaxation (achieved through guided meditation.) I was completely and totally receptive to this and found the whole process, particularly the guided meditation to be completely relaxing. I also felt totally calm and safe. I don't really know how long it would take to get past a fear like yours, but am guessing it will vary by the person. You may as well schedule an appointment and see what they advise, right?

Regarding your connecting flight, is there a reason why you cannot take more medication between the two connecting flights? I also take a fairly low dose of an anti-anxiety medication when I am flying. If I had a connecting flight and felt anxious, I would just take another half pill. I'm guessing maybe you need a higher dose and don't want to over-do it?

Finally, you mentioned Keflvik. If by chance you are flying Icelandair, a few years ago (not sure if they still do this), you could fly into Reykjavik and stay for a day or a few days and then on to your final destination, all for one airfare. This could work for you, though it would take away from time that you could spend with your brother.

Good luck! It sounds like it will be an awesome trip once you get yourself there!!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Loves Vintage! I''m going to ask my co-worker for the information, even if not for a session just to talk with them. I know there isn''t a quick fix and I should have looked into it sooner. It was last secoind decision to go since I have a ton vaca time left to use this year.

You are totally right about the medication. I have a high drug tolerance so the dosage I get prescribed is enough to put me right out for about six hours. I''m paranoid that if I get that amount I will get to Iceland completely out of it, sit down somewhere and fall asleep, missing my next flight. I want to try a lower dose, enough to prevent a meltdown but not enough to make me not able to function. I really am challenging my self; it almost sounds like I''m torturing myself.

I am flying Iceland Air, it''s the only airline that had great prices. They do still offer the stay over in Iceland, but I can''t quite afford it. Once in Germany I''m staying with him so I don''t have to pay for a hotel.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were in CT, I''d have an excellent recommendation for you! But, I am guessing you''re in NY by your screenname?

Anyway, it sounds like you are traveling alone? You do sound a little bit like you are torturing yourself. Don''t worry about falling asleep at the airport in Iceland!!! Just get yourself over to the boarding area before sitting down, and I''m sure one of the nice airline employees will come over and wake you when they are boarding the plane!
9.gif
You remind me of me. I worry unnecessarily a lot too!!

The other thing that is good about the medication, and that should provide you with some comfort, is that yes, you can try taking a lower dosage than you normally would -- to challenge yourself -- but, if it doesn''t work, then you could just take the remainder of your normal dosage and know that you will be ok in short order. So, really, there is nothing to worry about, right?

Regarding Iceland. It is too bad you can''t spend at least a day there. Even the ride from the airport to the city is remarkable. I''m sure you can take a city bus from the airport to the city and you can probably find reasonable priced accomodations. I know Iceland is really expensive though, in general.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Have you spoken to the airline? They are normally really good at dealing with this and have all sorts of things they do like boarding you at certain times that reduce risk/stewardesses to sit with you during takeoff etc and would probably be happy to make sure that you make the flight connection okay.

I know the UK airlines all do this - many also run courses for people who are scared of flying and have a very good success rate.

I really sympathise - I have huge anxiety issues about driving (13 years, 5 tests and thousands of lessons to get my licence!). I used to have to take Beta blockers for the lessons let alone the tests. I haven''t driven since I got my licence 5 years ago and the thought of having to do so makes me feel sick and shaky, I have enough trouble being driven by other people...

Totally ridiculous and I have no rational idea why, so if you do have hypnotherapy and it works, please report back as I''m thinking about something similar...

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I don''t know why this didn''t occur to me before. Neither did talking to the airline.

Yes, I am going alone since husband can''t bear to leave his cats for any length of time. I''m pushing myself to get a handle of this fear since I do want to travel whenever I can afford it. I did get the information of the therapist from my co-worker and I gave her a call a little while ago. We did a 15 pre interview and she has lots of experience working with people with fears ( two of her current patients are like me and one is afraid of dogs) She gave brief summation of how she works with people, focusing on finding the deep reason for what triggers the fear. It looks like my insurance will cover it, if so I will see her in two weeks.

I''m trying to be as rational as possible, but that part of my head is already in panic mode. Either I confront it or I back out and then feel like a moron since I''ll be out $560.

From what I''ve heard about Iceland, I''d love to see it. The layovers are tight, 55 minutes going and 45 coming back.

Pandora, my oldest sister was very scared of learninig to drive as well. She didn''t get her license until about 38-39. Now at 47 she still will try to avoid the highway and if she drives on it, she will not change lanes. She will stay in the far right so she can take an exit. Such a shame since she drives a Mustang. She also hates going over bridges. Amazing how these fears work; I love love love to drive.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 2:48:37 PM
Author: nytemist

I''m trying to be as rational as possible, but that part of my head is already in panic mode. Either I confront it or I back out and then feel like a moron since I''ll be out $560.

------

From what I''ve heard about Iceland, I''d love to see it. The layovers are tight, 55 minutes going and 45 coming back.
Confront! Confront! Confront! You can totally do this! I am glad you have an appointment, and I am sure even if you do not get over your fear entirely before your flight, you will at least be able to be a little more relaxed about it or be able to cope a little better.

Do not worry about the tight layovers at Keflavik. The airport is very, very small, and orderly. You will have plenty of time to spare when connecting.

When I went to Iceland, I was traveling alone too. I only asked because I figured if you were worried about falling asleep and not being woken up for a connecting flight, that there would be no one to wake you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results