shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh my, the HEAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I got engaged on Halloween and did all this planning and gown buying and rebuying over the cold hard months of winter. So I wake up today and it''s a freakin'' 88 degrees out!!! And it''s not that it was 80 or 85 for the past couple weeks either. Yesterday was a lovely 70-something so this is REALLY harsh!

My point is, OMG it''s hot!! And I got warm in my gown this past Tuesday in a slightly airconditioned dressing room. I knew from a cognitive sense that August would be hot but actually remembering how it feels to be HOT HOT HOT is a different thing altogether! Boy if I''m feeling this warm in a tank top and shorts I almost do not want to put my gown on on the big day!!!
9.gif
9.gif
I''m so going to plan to take one more cold shower before putting the gown on I think!

Anyone have any tricks to surviving days like this in a wedding gown?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 2:59:39 PM
Author:So_happy
Anyone have any tricks to surviving days like this in a wedding gown?

Air conditioning and if outdoors a large fan blowing air. You could even have someone spray ice cold water in a fine mist behind the fan so you get a light coating of COLD water on you. This is how we'd keep cool in India on the most unbearably hot days.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh........that sounds nice right NOW
9.gif

I''ve gotta ask tho..........is that okay......to have water sprinkled on satin and organza?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I would think that it would be ok, but I''m not expert. I can''t remember if you have a crinoline or hoop skirt, but you might want to look into a hooped one if you think you''ll be too hot.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 3:43:07 PM
Author: robbie3982
I would think that it would be ok, but I''m not expert. I can''t remember if you have a crinoline or hoop skirt, but you might want to look into a hooped one if you think you''ll be too hot.
I don''t have anything extra under the skirt actually. So I"m lucky there :)

Our ceremony isn''t until 5:30 so I''m praying it''s cooler by then!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We had a 7 p.m. ceremony in San Diego county on a 98 degree day in August, pictures started at 5:30. I waited until the last minute to get dressed and remained indoors (air conditioned, of course!) until picture taking time. It was warm but my makeup didn''t melt off my face or anything, we just stuck to taking pictures in shaded areas (luckily the site is full of big shady trees!) and I don''t recall it being a factor in the evening in any way.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Also don''t forget we adjust to temperature! I know that in the fall I''m freezing in 40 degree weather but in the spring I think it''s practically balmy! The same goes for hot weather. What feels unbearable at the start of the summer will be just fine by the end.

5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL! I HATE being hot...so I specifically planned my wedding for the end of Sept when it would be cooler!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
This is my biggest fear- the HEAT!
and i''m in western NYS, and getting married 9/22- in a small chapel with no a/c, but the doors open

normal temps should be 65-70, so no prob, but if we get indian summer-lookout.

i get hot/sweaty when nervous, and if i''m the focus, so i have found myself planning strategies for the big day.

one thing that cools me off so fast is to run cold water on the inside of my wrists (pulse points, or preferably an ice cube)

and, don''t laugh, but i''m considering buying a couple of those patches to try that they give to menopausal women for hot flashes (sort of like the stick on heat pad things, but they are cold)

and i even saw a website for these things called "cleavage coolers" that are little fabric covered things that you freeze and then stick in your cleavage.

believe me, i need to have all my bases covered :)

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I planned for the worst, as it can get steamy hot in Temecula- even in late September when we got married. So I couple of "little" things I did were: stayed indoors as much as possible until pic time, had my makeup artist apply airbrushed foundation which would stay put, and carried a parasol to keep the sun's rays off me.

oh yeah, I also drank lots of water to keep me cool and hydrated

It ended up being a nice 75 degrees and partly-cloudy when I emerged from the bridal suite at 4p.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have a little fan put in the bathroom you can strategically stand over.... blowing air under your skirt will halp a lot. Even if it is kinda funny.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I''m really hot, a cold wet paper towel wad on the back of my neck does WONDERS!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
If you haven''t tried it yet, I''d recommend purchasing Secret''s new clinical strength antiperspirant (sp?). It''s fantastic!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2007 4:06:22 PM
Author: IndieJones
Also don''t forget we adjust to temperature! I know that in the fall I''m freezing in 40 degree weather but in the spring I think it''s practically balmy! The same goes for hot weather. What feels unbearable at the start of the summer will be just fine by the end.

5.gif
I agree with Indie--your body will start to adjust to the temperature...try to spend some time outdoors in the heat when you can and cut down on the A/C a little if possible, that may help you adjust faster. I know, I know, I hate to sweat and be hot too--it''s always quite a shock after going through a midwest winter, then things heat up all of a sudden to 85-90 humid degrees and I''m miserable for a couple weeks. Then in August I''ll go in the grocery store and be absolutely FROZEN! It''s weird! Also, if possible, don''t wear nylons under your dress, and try wearing a low-heeled, sturdy shoe so your body doesn''t have to exert so much energy "balancing."

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
and ladies, don't forget about chafing. at sca events and ren faire we wear bicylcle shorts, desitin, or secret unscented antiperspirant under our dresses.

edited to add: when i worked at texas renfaire, we used to garden and do physical labor in july and august to acclimate to the heat before we had to do tudor/elizabethan in 99 degree houston heat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 6:57:58 PM
Author: KimberlyH
If you haven''t tried it yet, I''d recommend purchasing Secret''s new clinical strength antiperspirant (sp?). It''s fantastic!

Great tip!
gonna check that out myself!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 8:54:59 PM
Author: Gypsy

Great tip!

OOHHHH!! I''m always on the look out for a good antipersparant (sp?)!! I''ll pick some up right away. Thanx KimH!!!!

All the other ideas, especially the fan under the skirt and cleavage thingy-whatsits were GREAT!!!

The thing I hate most about being hot is how my skin feels.....sticky
14.gif
38.gif
. I''d hate to have sticky skin but I know I''ll probably have to accept that I will. I checked our weather for our wedding day and it should be 75-80 out so that would be wonderful :) I love to put shower-to-shower on my skin under tshirts during the summer because it really keeps my skin non-sticky for so long and it smells fresh
21.gif
Don''t know if I''d do that on the wedding day tho.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I got married May 12. It was 85 or so, and our wedding was in the evening so it wasn''t too hot. I do have a very low tolerance for heat though, so even with an evening May wedding I was a little concerned. I kept things as simple as possible under the dress, I wore a bra but no hose/spanx/etc. I had actually planned on spanx but my seamstress said I didn''t need them. And she was right. So, I would recommend wearing the bare minimum.
One thing to consider is your hair. I don''t know if you have long/short/etc. but I wore mine down, and it did get a little sweaty. I wanted to wear my veil until after the first dance, and I noticed right before I took it off that my head was getting warm! The veil mus have held in some heat because once I took it off I was much cooler! (and you could see more of my curls). So you might start thinking about what you want to do with your hair and what styles will hold up in the heat.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I second this. It''s amazing.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 12:44:12 AM
Author: So_happy

Date: 5/25/2007 8:54:59 PM
Author: Gypsy

Great tip!

OOHHHH!! I''m always on the look out for a good antipersparant (sp?)!! I''ll pick some up right away. Thanx KimH!!!!

All the other ideas, especially the fan under the skirt and cleavage thingy-whatsits were GREAT!!!

The thing I hate most about being hot is how my skin feels.....sticky
14.gif
38.gif
. I''d hate to have sticky skin but I know I''ll probably have to accept that I will. I checked our weather for our wedding day and it should be 75-80 out so that would be wonderful :) I love to put shower-to-shower on my skin under tshirts during the summer because it really keeps my skin non-sticky for so long and it smells fresh
21.gif
Don''t know if I''d do that on the wedding day tho.
So_happy, Robbie, and Gypsy,

This stuff is amazing. I tend to perspire and it really does work wonders. The directions say put it on at night (it essentially clogs your sweat glands) which is how the percription stuff works, but I just use it as a normal anti-perspirant. I used it in Maui last week and was totally non-sweaty, even when sitting on the beach directly in the sun.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Another one to try is Certain Dri (I don''t know why they spell dry that way). It''s a roll on you use before bed. I used to have awful issues where I would be sweaty in the dead of winter, no matter WHAT product I tried. It was so embarassing. Certain Dri saved me, and I don''t know if it''s just me getting older, or if it did some magical long-term number on me, but I feel like I sweat much less now even though I haven''t used it in some time. I do pull it out in the summer, though, and I find I can use it every other or every three days and stay really dry. I usually put on normal deodorant in the morning, too, because the certain dri is just the anti-persperant without any scent.

I don''t know if the secret stuff is the same, but one of the reasons they say to use the Certain Dri at night is because it can discolor clothing if it doesn''t have time to really soak in and dry first. Might want to be careful w/ the secret if it''s made with the same ingredients! I think it also needs time to start working, too, but since it seems to last several days, even after showering, perhaps by the second day of putting it on in the morning instead of night it wouldn''t really matter?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 12:40:59 PM
Author: ladyciel
Another one to try is Certain Dri (I don''t know why they spell dry that way). It''s a roll on you use before bed. I used to have awful issues where I would be sweaty in the dead of winter, no matter WHAT product I tried. It was so embarassing. Certain Dri saved me, and I don''t know if it''s just me getting older, or if it did some magical long-term number on me, but I feel like I sweat much less now even though I haven''t used it in some time. I do pull it out in the summer, though, and I find I can use it every other or every three days and stay really dry. I usually put on normal deodorant in the morning, too, because the certain dri is just the anti-persperant without any scent.

I don''t know if the secret stuff is the same, but one of the reasons they say to use the Certain Dri at night is because it can discolor clothing if it doesn''t have time to really soak in and dry first. Might want to be careful w/ the secret if it''s made with the same ingredients! I think it also needs time to start working, too, but since it seems to last several days, even after showering, perhaps by the second day of putting it on in the morning instead of night it wouldn''t really matter?
I was concerned about staining but haven''t had any issues, but I do know exactly what you''re talking about lady ciel.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Also, Weather.com lets you do a "wedding forecast" page and you can see the temperature, hour by hour, for the last 3 years in your wedding zipcode, plus look at 10 year averages. It helped me feel better about an outdoor wedding in Texas! It''s in October, but I''m hoping the 75 high is the HIGH!

For chafing, as LK mentioned, Monistat makes an anti-chafing cream that really works well, but I''ve also found that a little anti-perspirant in the affected aread works wonders. Not everyone has this problem, but if you do, it can be miserable!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 2:18:16 PM
Author: sumbride
Also, Weather.com lets you do a 'wedding forecast' page and you can see the temperature, hour by hour, for the last 3 years in your wedding zipcode, plus look at 10 year averages. It helped me feel better about an outdoor wedding in Texas! It's in October, but I'm hoping the 75 high is the HIGH!

For chafing, as LK mentioned, Monistat makes an anti-chafing cream that really works well, but I've also found that a little anti-perspirant in the affected aread works wonders. Not everyone has this problem, but if you do, it can be miserable!
That's so cool!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 3:56:07 PM
Author: robbie3982
Date: 5/26/2007 2:18:16 PM

Author: sumbride

Also, Weather.com lets you do a ''wedding forecast'' page and you can see the temperature, hour by hour, for the last 3 years in your wedding zipcode, plus look at 10 year averages. It helped me feel better about an outdoor wedding in Texas! It''s in October, but I''m hoping the 75 high is the HIGH!

For chafing, as LK mentioned, Monistat makes an anti-chafing cream that really works well, but I''ve also found that a little anti-perspirant in the affected aread works wonders. Not everyone has this problem, but if you do, it can be miserable!

That''s so cool!

Yeah, but I can already see myself checking it obsessively for the week leading up to the wedding!
23.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I loved that feature. Wunderground.com also has an event planning feature.

I have chafing problems and the monisat cream irritates my skin. I wear Assets from Target with all my skirts and dresses. I also wore them for my wedding. I use the ones that only go to midthigh, that way I''m still cool but I have no chafing problems. Plus I look a bit better in my clothes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results