shape
carat
color
clarity

my dress ARGH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
had alterations, mom brought dress to see me....it WILL NOT zip up about 3 or so inches. there is no way that i can even hook it. the seam in the back where it was taken in to be a mermaid is wonky and looks horrible, and the bustle is actually just a loop that is supposed to attach to one of my buttons...is this normal? im afraid a button will pop off.

needless to say, i''m not pleased. no pics, sorry! i am going to have to schedule a trip BACK to alabama to try to have them redo the dress.

ARGH

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Oh No! Im so sorry............. urg! Make them do it right! Best of luck!

If it makes you feel better my dress came in one size SMALLER than we ordered it........ w/ no time to re order. I''ve been hitting the gym!

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
cocolaw, I am sorry to hear this
7.gif
how frustrating.

No, I do not think the single button/loop is normal. For all the dresses my friends have worn, the alterationist has sewn multiple buttons/loops underneath the dress, so that it takes about 5-10 minutes to bustle the whole thing.

I hope you get it figured out, keep us updated.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you''re frustrated, hon. Hopefully you can communicate in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what they need to fix by the next time you are there so that you don''t have to keep worrying about things. Kick some arse to get your dress just how you paid for it to be!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Maybe you can get a partial refund and have it redone where you are? That is so frustrating!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Coco...I''m so sorry. Can you leave the dress here and take it to a different person? I don''t know enough about alterations but I do know based on my own experience that a lot can be fixed. If you have a single point over bustle, I would not be happy with it hooking to one of the buttons on the dress....freaking no way.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto EM1! I wouldn''t be sending it back to the same place either, if they can''t do a good job the first time, I wouldn''t trust them to have a second go!

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
hey Cocolaw, I''m sorry to hear about yr dress drama, there''s no excuse for wonky seams and incorrect sizing; I hope you get it fixed. With regards to the single button bustle, I know some ladies here say they''ve never heard of / seen it done but that''s what I had for my dress! My seamstress sewed 3 loops, reinforced one button & added a pearl to the underside to differentiate it from the others and to bustle it, I looped all the hooks over that one button. It lasted really well and my dress was h-e-a-v-y! and my MoH found it really simple to do. Here''s a pic to show what I mean

ChePre7.jpg

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Agh! I can''t even imagine the fretting. How awful to have to add this in to your worries. I agree with EM that maybe it''s worth finding someone near by to do the fixing.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
single button bustles are fairly common here - I though have yet to see one that hasn''t broken mid way through the night.

Cocolaw my theory if they can''t get it right the first time take it somewhere else, I would be hesitant to take it back. GL

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
ugh....that stinks. so sorry to hear! i wish i had some advice to offer but i don''t know much about alterations. i''m sure they''ll do right by you though!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
it''s so bad that it''s funny! i took pictures and am taking it to a seamstress in CT! now i just need to find somebody!! here we go with pictures.....

this is the first pic of the back.. it does not zip up. the bottom does not cup like it was supposed to...it just makes my rear look bigger than it actually is!! wait till i show the close up of the crazy seams.

rsz_1rsz_alterations1.jpg

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
That''s horrible, sorry you''re going through the unnecessary stress!

My bustle was also sewn in the underside, my tailor used color-coded ribbons so that people can easily pull them together and tie them up.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i would like to point out the unflattering frontal fabric pouch, and again the lack of "cupping" that i really want!

rsz_1rsz_alterations2.jpg

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
front of dress! this is not so bad because nothing was done here! however i want more of the mermaid shape on the sides.

rsz_alterations3.jpg

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
eeeeeek!!! this shows just how much too small the dress is, and the crazy bustle

rsz_1rsz_alterations4.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
It is not half as bad as I expected but what worries me is that it was taken in too much at the top. I''m hoping that you won''t be able to see where the stiching was once its let out again. I totally know what you mean about the mermaid shape. I went through so much trouble to have my dress altered into the same shape and they were very reluctant to keep taking it in under the butt. However, they did and agreed it looked much better. Let me know what happens after you take it in again. I think you''ll be ok. At least its not too short!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
seriously ladies.....have you ever seen such an ugly booty area on a dress? these seams amaze me.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
ok, the back is not good. You need to get it fixed. I''m not a fan of that bustle at all. With the mermaid shape and the silk satin I think it would look awesome with a three or five point french. Every person I''ve known with a single bustle point, broke.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Coco...the seams are bad......I would honestly ask that seamstress that did that to buy me a new dress. That is rediculous.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
em, thanks!! im so glad you get it. your dress is so gorgeous and i love the shape! my seamstress was clearly just not up for the job, so i am taking it to someone else. i just REALLY hope that somebody will agree to do this dress because otherwise i will have to fly back to alabama at least once to have this fixed.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, how frustrating!
38.gif
I''m sorry cocolaw.

I know you mentioned taking the dress to a seamstress in CT. If you end up not finding one, the one I used in NYC was AMAZING. I''d be happy to pass along her info.

I hope everything works out.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:44:33 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
Ugh, how frustrating!
38.gif
I''m sorry cocolaw.

I know you mentioned taking the dress to a seamstress in CT. If you end up not finding one, the one I used in NYC was AMAZING. I''d be happy to pass along her info.

I hope everything works out.

i really would appreciate that!!! was she reasonably priced?

also, what do you think about deepening the sweetheart neckline on this dress? i just feel like i have a LOT of work to make me happy with this gown.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:38:52 PM
Author: cocolaw
the seams that make a nice bride said wtf!!!

23.gif
29.gif
38.gif
32.gif

OMG! The buttons aren''t even straight past the detailing. And those seams, and back area, ahem. Wow. I am surprised the lady does wedding dresses at all. I am so sorry cocoa. I hope you find a great seamstress in CT. Do you, a friend, or relative have a membership to Angie''s List? It''s a review forum I guess you could say, that reviews places, stores, and people to provide services. Since I got my dress from David''s, I have chosen to go the route of private seamstress to do alterations if any are needed. It''s awesome because you can read reviews and ratings, why people liked the services etc. My mom and I have only ever found fabulous service by going this route! Good luck dear and keep us posted!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
what do you ladies think i should do??? are these seams really "new dress" bad?????????? i dont know enough about alterations to know how much can be fixed
29.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:47:13 PM

i really would appreciate that!!! was she reasonably priced?

also, what do you think about deepening the sweetheart neckline on this dress? i just feel like i have a LOT of work to make me happy with this gown.

Her name is Kiki Hronis and her number is 718-523-6067 (she's located in the mid 70s). She worked for high end wedding designers in the past. If you google her name, you can find reviews. I was really, really happy with her.

I don't know what is considered 'reasonable' in NY but she charged me a flat fee of $450. This included shortening the dress, taking in the bust, sewing in a bustier, taking in the waist, and creating two bustles (one french and one over bustle).

In your situation, whether you go with Kiki or anyone else, I'd try to get a flat fee since it seems there are a number of areas that need altering.

Re: deepening the neckline... I like the softness of it as it currently is but the more I think on it, a more pronounced neckline would go with the mermaid style you're going for and create a truly va-va-voom look.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 8:54:48 PM
what do you ladies think i should do??? are these seams really ''new dress'' bad?????????? i dont know enough about alterations to know how much can be fixed
29.gif

I would speak with a qualified seamstress before making any decisions. It would be a shame to give up on your gown if it can be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results