shape
carat
color
clarity

Indian wedding traditions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know anything about Indian weddings nad the traditions? I am hoping to learn about the culture''s customs and traditions...any help or book references would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!
9.gif

sunset522

Rough_Rock
Hey Nice,

Indian weddings involve lot of traditions and lot of rituals (It's soo much fun!!)..which carry some meaning in each ritual.. I got married in India (traditional south Indian wedding) about 2.5 yrs ago.. and they usually have auditoriums that are set-up for weddings w/ a stage or some people choose to get married in a temple (similar to church).. and the whole place is decorated with lights (similar to Christmas lights) and flowers (Real flowers like Jasmines.. Roses and so forth). The wedding date is set based on astrological signs of the bridge and the groom.. mine was @ 1:26AM!!!!
1.gif
Most NOrth Indian weddings last for a whole week.. Here is a link that gives some info:

HEre is a link w/ Details..

Here is another one that's cool to check out

LEt me know if I can answer any more questions..

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the info! I am going to look up the links now...I actually was in an Indian wedding years back, but being the American Bride's side, I never thought to pay much attention to the fine details in case I ever needed it!!! We spent more attention on the American wedding...

My guy is actually northern Indian, but I don't think his parents or us for that matter could have a week long celebration.

He and I thought about getting married on an island in a private catholic or civil ceremony, and then perhaps have a pundit marry us. Again, not sure what that entails or how a week long wedding can be condensed...?

adi

Rough_Rock
I am American and getting married to a north Indian as well. Keep in mind that religion is the key to knowing what sort of wedding you will have. Most will assume that your guy is Hindu and will discribe such a wedding. Once it is confirmed that it is an Indian Wedding of a Hindu family be assured that the ceremony will include atleast 3 days of rituals, to include, the preceremony --Ganesh puja with the girls and boys sides only, each have their own with their own priest. This is where the yellow turmeric paste is rubbed on your skin to give you a fair complexsion. The day before or after that you will have a Menhdi (henna) party with your side of the family only--the girls sit around give advise on marriage and paint your hands with red die. Then there is the wedding, which can last from 3 to 6 hours. This you will need a Mandup, a priest, 4 male cousins, and lots and lots of food. You will wear a red and white sari, and will receive your mangal sutra, this is the necklace you where to show you are married--rings don''t mean as much to Indians!! You can exchange rings-- but at the end. If you are luck you will not need a four day of Dandia Garba...but it depends of what part of india his is from.

I suggest learning as much as you can. They are learning your culture and find offence when you don''t try. It may not seem that way....Indians will always be polite. But, trust me, when they say to just sit down and don''t help -- you help anyway. This will pay off more than you know. If they insist--you better insist back---if it is your mother in law you clean the dishes with her and help her cook even if you suck at cooking. This is the golden rule. This will save you yearssssss of heart aches. Don''t act like a spoiled American and try to atleast learn a couple of words in Hindi or their state language.

Good Luck!!

Tigerbear

Rough_Rock
Sunset, thanks for posting that link. I too am an American who will likely be marrying a man from North Indian. I want to include some Hindu traditions into our wedding (I especially like the exchanging of garland). Of course, I also want Indian food at the reception.
9.gif

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez....I am marrying a Hindu from Malaysia. I found out that one of their traditions is for the bride & the husband to spend the first night as a married couple at the Husband''s parents house, while the family is there. I don''t know how traditional your fiance''s family is, but start doing your research as their may be little surprises like this that start popping up. While I am not thrilled about the idea, I am going along with it as it will go a long way to in-law harmony.

I would also follow Adi''s advice. My future in-laws were pleasantly surprised that I ate with my hands (as is their culture) when I visited them for the first time in Malaysia...or at least I attempted too.

Sunset thanks for the links...I too will be checking them out.
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Funny how this thread caught my eye, and it was mine to begin with...

My fiance is not as traditional, and his parents wanted initially to have the HUGE wedding in India. My DF is very private, so he insisted that it be done here in NY, small but tasteful. He''s very Americanized, so he wanted to refelct his parent''s culture he was raised with and still be able to enjoy his Americanized culture.

We really did a lot of eliminating, and it will be a short ceremony with a Mandap and pundit, garlands, a lehnga Choli (in creme and gold, as a fair skinned person I don''t look good in red), and other such traditions. We will have the mehndi ceremony and engagement ceremony the weekend before, so that will be fun. Actually I have been in an Indo-American wedding before. My friend Sonya (a Texan) married a Northern Indian as well. It was their "Cowboys and Indians wedding" as she called it, complete with steak and paneer...

Lots of little details will be encorporated into the joint reception, like the favors will be sajai boxes custom ordered from India filled with traditional Indian Candies, the center pieces will be surrounded by floating Lotus flowers and candles for an exotic Asian flair, as well as the gold theme delicately interwoven with the ivory colors... I wanted the bolders choices of colors for the girls, but my fiance is adamant about soft wedding colors, like baby blues, and so we have a pristine ivory and gold theme going for both weddings...The cake will have a delicate golden henna floral patten on it, like the henna that will still be on my feet. We opted none on the hands, just jewlery...

My only issue is that my Lehnga is very midriff bearing, so I am working out like a mad woman to prepare my abs in time... It''s beautiful and very regal looking, but still a bit scary, considering my pale and out-of-shape midriff that has been expanding this winter...

Any more info on Indo-American weddings is totally appreciated. I just love hearing about mixed marraiges, as they make the greatest blends of the best of both worlds...

adi

Rough_Rock
Hello Nicrez,

My wedding is in just couple of weeks--I am so excited!! Being an anglo marrying a wonderful Indian man I can relate to the difficulites. But, I was raised Hindu and so it makes it a bit easier. But, sometimes I wonder about that too--some time not knowing is bliss.
19.gif

Don''t worry so much about the middrift area so much. There should be a long shaw looking piece with your dress--this piece is wrapped much like a sari is around you. There are many different ways to wrap this so when they do this for you -- if you are not comfortable with certain parts showing they should beable to hide it and still make you look wonderful.

Remember too that you can wear a second dress to your reception.

I am wearing a Sari of cream and red to the ceremony, and a pink and purple to the reception. My fiance is wearing cream at the ceremony and black at the reception. Blacks and dark Blues are not good for the ceremony--it is bad luckish. That beind said when my fiance wanted to buy a black indian suit the store clerk would not let him do so!! So, he got one for the reception and one for the ceremony!! Yes, my fiance is Americanised as well. But, keep in mind that just because he is it doesn''t mean the parents are....and sometimes they believe they are but they still hold onto one or two small thing that will not be an issue till later.

For example, the mother-in-law will stay with you when you have your children--usually a month or two after the birth of the child. This isn''t always true but happends a lot. It is a social societ where decisions are made together. So, be prepared for things coming up later. The key is for your husband to set the boundaries you want and to stick with them though out.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results