shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheesy Bridal Shower Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
So, this sunday is my good friend''s Bridal Shower...her registry is filled with stuff that I just don''t feel like buying (spatulas and measuring cups)....I know she may need that stuff, but I feel like I want to spend my money on something more unique and fun for her.

They are going to St. Lucia on their honeymoon. Would it be cheesy to make a gift basket filled with beach towels, flip flops, sunscreen, chapstick, all the beach necessities? Or should I save that for a different type of gift? Should my gift for a bridal shower be more formal???

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
Although giving fun gifts are nice I would just go ahead and buy something from her registry and then maybe pick up a travel book for St. Lucia. As a bride that will be starting out in a new apt with nothing I will be much more appreciative of items from my registry.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
If you''re looking for a cheesy shower gift, you could get her a shower curtain or some other shower related item off her registry. Make sure to make note of the cheesiness in your card.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Does her shower have a theme? I''ve actually been to a honeymoon-themed shower where they had done the honeymoon registry, and then most of the guests donated and then got them something fun to take with them too. But if most of the other guests are getting them cooking stuff, a honeymoon package would probably stand out. Plus, most people try to pack as lightly for their honeymoon as possible and plan on using the hotel''s towels and stuff, don''t they?

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
omg!!! i made a honeymoon basket for a friend and it was the hit of the party...i added a honeymoon album, a scented candle for the honeymoon suite, travel sized necessities, snacks for the plane, and underwater cameras in addition to all the beach stuff. she always says that was her unexpected fun gift and her dh says it was awesome.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I say do it!!!
I would love the fact that someone went out of their way to do something personal and special. I''m registering more because it is expected that we do and to make it easier on people that don''t have the time (or desire!) to go and choose a gift on their own. I think all my friends would knot that I would love a personal gift...and most likely my FI would too.

You know your friend....so if you think she will like it I say do it...and come back with reactions and pictures :) hehe

M~

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the honeymoon basket, too! My godmother gave me a really nice, huge canvas beach bag with our towels in it at my shower. She said she couldn''t find any box big enough for the towels and so she just picked up a beach bag at the store - but the bag was seriously one of my fav. shower gifts because it was fun and different.
1.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done the "Honeymoon Bag" and themed bags, and they are always a hit at the showers! At least for the guests it''s not seeing the same set of dishes go by, or another set of matching towels.

I say GO FOR IT! I love the book idea and the underwater cameras, too. Just think, they will always remember it, and will think of you on their honeymoon!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen those flip flops that are embossed with Just Married or Bride and Groom...on the bottoms of the flippers? So as they walk in the sand, it leaves an impression? I love those!! But you probably can''t find them local, you could add a tag or something embellished to the top of a pair of flippers.

I too like the gift idea. Visors. Sunblock. Flippers. Didn''t someone say lip balm or chap stick? Mints, gum. Maybe include just for fun a plastic sand bucket and shovel...(just for a laugh) or water wings. Maybe sun glass string things. I love the camera idea. A deck of cards, or some game for the plane trip. Cross words puzzles would be a joke to receive on your honeymoon...like there is nothing else to do. You could play that up with other things. Bath fizzes or bath powders for the hotel room.

You know what would be great? Make custom baggage tags. But with HER new name. Mrs. Steven Jones/or Janet Jones wife of Steven Jones. Use the tag as the tag on the package of the shower gift. A calling card may be useful-their cell may not work...and away from hotel. I have heard horror stories about the sand fleas or buggers that bite you. Is there a little bug propellant that wouldn''t look too much like reality? A few travelers checks. Some cute little container to take some Honey Moon sand home.

Your idea is a lot of fun. Please tell us what you come up with!!

DKS

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks you all so much for your advice! I really think I am going with this themed gift idea. All of my other friends are buying them can-openers and hand blenders, so I figure they''ll get plenty from their registry, so I might as well go all-out creative! I love the honeymoon sand jar idea! And the luggage tags with her new name!!! LOVE that! You guys are so creative! I''m going hunting for awesome things this afternoon after work! I''ll let you all know what I come home with! I do believe that I will get a sand bucket to put lots of the goodies in - even though I know they won''t be bringing the bucket on the plan! It will still be fun :) Thanks again girls! You guys are awesome!!
35.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i actually didn''t use a basket, but one of those large tin ice bucket things that hold ice and drinks since my friend likes to entertain in her yard. you could also use a carry on luggage bag that opens all the way to display the items at the shower as if they were in a basket.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh...I have a great gift basket making tip. Go to your local craft store and get GLUE DOTS!! They are the best. It is what puts a professional gift basket aside from an amateur one.

Why? It allows you to place the items strategically about and make an impressive presentation. If you don''t all of your stuff just falls down to the bottom. It will stay where you put them. Ang they dont'' reuin anything...just roll right off!!

Also look at shinny reflective opalized clear wrappings to place here and there. I would get some natural raffia and a few sea shells to make a gathered bow. A little netting would look cute. Have fun shopping!!

DKS

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
wow you guys are good!!! I need some creative friends like you! haha...or should I just give you girls my address?
31.gif

I love the ice bucket idea!. Also anything they can use to "gather" memories furing the HM!.

I read something that I loved in one magazine....a "time capsule". You make a box that they can''t open for 10 years. In that box you include things from "today" (sports news, big news stories, the top 1 song on the radio, a current picture of the couple, maybe a picture of what they were driving or something about where they lived, what was the last vacation they took, etc. Just things that when they open the box 10 years from now will bring them to this very special moment!

My younger sister is creating a time capsule box for FI and I!
36.gif

M~

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all of the ideas! Mandarine, I''d love it if someone did a time capsule for us. Think of how much it will mean and how funny certain stories, etc. will be after a few years have gone by. Great thought!

I would pesonally be ecstatic if someone gave me a honeymoon related gift -- a beach bag is perfect if one is going somewhere tropical (or even if''s to hold other types of gifts). I agree though that people might want to travel light on their honeymoon, so I''d be afraid that my gifts wouldn''t be used right away. If I could give a gift that could be used soon after or something like that, that would be fabulous (euros for someone going to Europe, travel guides, maps, etc.).

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
LOL...that''s too funny!

I also did a gift "basket" in the wedding colors (turquoise and brown) and filled a turquoise metal ice bucket (on clearance at Target for mere pennies!) and threw in a bunch of stuff that matched her colors and it was a huge hit. They had registered for some wine things, so I of course included those, then I had a personalized bottle opener made with their new initials and attached it to the handle and filled the rest with goodies. She loved it and they actually used it at their reception as their own personal ice bucket at their sweetheart table...it was touching to see it used, but let me tell you what hell it was packing a box and sending THAT through the airlines as a piece of luggage!!! Definitely well worth it, though!

She assigned each of her attendants a job, so I also ended up doing her emergency "bride''s bag" for the wedding day...I put in the "Just Married" flip-flops DKS mentioned-I ordered them from www.terrysvillage.com. They were just great! Another friend actually had her FI wear black ones at their wedding...I hadn''t even known they made them in men''s, but I have now seen them in several catalogs, on ebay and other online vendors when searching for "wedding flip-flops." The bag wasn''t overly practical, so we found a cool carrying case at Michael''s that was originally for scrapbooking, and there just happened to be one in brown and turquoise and all of the necessary tools fit perfectly, along with 6 bottles of water to make sure we stayed hydrated during the long process of getting ready!

If you do decide to go for the "funky" idea, it''s a scrapbooking basket that has about 25 different compartments and a drawer underneath...it sounds cumbersome, but it is the most useful thing I''ve ever come across! They are normally around $20, but often go on sale for about $12 (even less with their 40-50% off coupons at Michael''s) and are worth every penny. I''m off to see if I can find a picture of it, but if not, it''s called a mini-organizer and is made by Scrap, Paper, Scissors.

Here is a BRIGHT example from ebay...but you get the gist! minitote or here They are much more pastel colored in real life...I believe they come in turquoise, pink or chartreuse with brown or all black.

Hope that helps! Be sure to take pictures of what you end up doing!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think honeymoon stuff is nice. Although, I would caution against getting them beach towels unless they are going to stay in an accomodation that won''t provide towels. Generally though most of the resort typ places in St. Lucia provide lots of towels for guests.

Flip Flops and sunscreen are a GREAT idea though--especially if you can find sunscreen in 3 oz. tubes (Since you can''t get larger tubes through security in carry on bags. I dunno though, maybe your friends will check their bags. I put some sunscreen in my carry on in case we got their before our room was ready and wanted to chill at the pool. I was glad I did because that''s exactly what happened). Another great thing to consider is Water Proof disposable cameras. We went snorkling and played in the pool and such, and I was so happy we had a few water proof cameras to take along with us. We also had a little coin purse that we carried $1''s in for tips while we were on the island. A little bag like that might make a good gift.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results