shape
carat
color
clarity

Behold! The $200 pepper mill! ... and a flatware question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Honey and I went registering today. We both love good design and especially Italian design, and hence Alessi. So we thought we'd register for a bunch of stuff there. FI made a bee-line for this pepper mill. It is $200. It is also 3 feet high. He insists that it's perfect because a) you may never have to refill it again in your life (but where are we going to get that many peppercorns to begin with??!) and b) given he is 6'5" tall, it is the perfect length for him. As for me, I can hardly lift it.

ARGH! This object is SO REDONKULOUS! Yet FI loves it. So I let him put it on the registry. But I think I'll buy it for him and take it off before anyone sees it. Asking for a $200 pepper mill could lose you friends.
37.gif
2.gif

Speaking of which, the flatware we like best (I'll try to find a pic) is $95 a place setting. Is that crazy? It sounds crazy to me, but I've really no idea what these things cost. I don't want us to look greedy. And after that pepper mill... we're treading the line.
4.gif

Pepper Mill.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My good friends'' husband registered for a tractor from Sears, no joke. Knowing him made it hysterical (they live on 120 acres). He was really bummed that everyone didn''t pool their money to buy it instead of the fru-fru dishes and such.

I didn''t register so I can''t comment on appropriateness.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I just googled our flatware, and found it for HALF the price on Amazon. Hmmm. That sucks.

flatware.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Now I wanna tractor too! We could keep it on the porch. Maybe I could say ''OK Hon, you want your pepper mill? Fine. But I want a tractor. A big, shiny green one. ''

E B

Ideal_Rock
Eh, a couple fancy splurge items are perfectly fine. We registered for a $450 Dyson vacuum, along with a couple other high dollar items. As long as you have plenty of 'more affordable' items ($25-$75), you should be okay.

As for the place settings, I'm not sure what the norm is, cost wise. We registered for Pottery Barn flatware, coming out to ~$40 a set, but they aren't fancy.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, so these are $45 a set on amazon (which it sounds like is perfectly reasonable), and poking around the net, they are also around $45-50 on sale elsewhere. I feel badly asking for something on a registry at a store that is selling it for twice the price. ARGH! Bloomingdales!

Now I don''t know what to do.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That peppermill sure makes a statement!

No, 95.00 is not THAT much, depending. I have stainless that is by Couzon, and got it on sale with coupons at Bloomies, ended up getting it for 50.00 per, instead of 90.00 or so. It is certainly not inexpensive, but since it is what you will eat on daily, multiple times, you should love it. You are not picking it because it is expensive, so I would not worry too much. It needs to be able to hold up well...I would ask an SA at Bloomie about their sale policies. Once in a while they have sales, and then additional coupons to get even more off, so truly you save a bundle. Is one coming up soon? If not, will they price match later on? Otherwise, tell them you have seen it elsewhere for nearly half, and see if they are willing, for the sake of your registry business, to accomodate you in any way. But they ALWAYS seem to be having home sales.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I KNOW the bargain shopper in me is going to go crazy when it comes time to register. I''ll have the worst time resisting the urge to register at 5 million different stores just to try and find my guests the best deals. For that reason, I think we''ll probably use Amazon as one of our registry locations. IG, would this be an option for you? I imagine you would find other items that you could list there to have it be more than just your flatware.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
That pepper mill is so you! Avantey Gardey and it is reelly cool. If I had received an invitation...you could count on me to get you that mill!! I lurve it!!

I got my hubby one that has a light on the bottom. We often eat in the shadow of darkness...(witness protection plan) and the light comes in handy. That mill you are registered for...may itself need registering as a concealed weapon.

You know the tall mills at restaurants that they grind the pepper for you, in that pretentious "only we can handle the machinery" way? They are lathed and have a curvy shape? Well, we were once out with the family and my 7 year old nephew asked why the waiter was carrying a bed post to each table. Are they for sale? I spilt a rib laughing so hard. He is now 22 and has his own place...that pepper mill would hit the spot!!

DKS

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
We just got a similar-sized cheese grater (it seriously looks like a foghorn) from Alessi from some friends of ours which looks really cool, and will allow me to grate cheese directly on my fiance''s place from 4 feet away ...
37.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 10:47:33 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Now I wanna tractor too! We could keep it on the porch. Maybe I could say ''OK Hon, you want your pepper mill? Fine. But I want a tractor. A big, shiny green one. ''
I love it! They really could have used the tractor, they were in their mid-30s when they got married, he owned a home/acreage filled to the brim and she had all the makings of her own bachelorette pad. They ended up throwing a ton out because they just had too much stuff by the time they got through all their gifts. I think your tractor should be silver though, to match your dress.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hahaaa! So now I have this fabulous composite visual....

We acquire the pepper mill and fill it with something yummy smelling... lavendar? Then I arrive at the wedding reception on my big shiny new silver tractor (side saddle, of course... that dress is TIGHT!) in my crinkly silver dress and homemade veil, sprinkling fresh ground lavendar on the guests with my 3 ft ''lavendar mill''. Sprink sprink! Sprink sprink!

I think the music should be the the Blue Danube waltz. La la laa laa laaa ''sprink sprink'' ''sprink sprink'' La la la la laaa ''sprink sprink sprink sprink!!''

How''s THAT for an entrance?!?!

Yeah, I confess, I''m completely nutbars.
37.gif
9.gif
But c''mon... at least one of you thinks that''s hilarious right? right? Just one? OK. OK.
20.gif
14.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ladyciel, as a fellow bargain shopper, I feel your pain. The very IDEA that my guests might spend $100 for something they could get for $50 elsewhere kills me! I guess I just need to get over it.
40.gif
Or maybe register with Amazon instead?? I didn''t even realize that could be done. And it would have the advantage that there is Amazon everywhere, so our many, many (indeed mostly) foreign guests wouldn''t run into trouble with ''We don''t take foreign credit cards over the net''.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I love it!

You have to "dream big"! We put a $150 bowl shaped like the state of Texas on our registry. We GOT it. Seriously, it''s not going to get half as much use as your $200 pepper grinder!

Now if only somebody would buy the Roomba...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey Summer, dumb q here: what''s a roomba? Sounds like fun... Maybe we need one of those too?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
DKS: OK, you''re invited then.
9.gif
Just make sure you send the gift in time for me to fill it with lavendar for my big entrance.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 11:32:14 AM
I think the music should be the the Blue Danube waltz. La la laa laa laaa ''sprink sprink'' ''sprink sprink'' La la la la laaa ''sprink sprink sprink sprink!!''

How''s THAT for an entrance?!?!
Oh dear God!!! Help! My wisdom toothum stitches are gonna split I''m laughing so hard!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

}}}skulking off back to LIW lurkdom, clutching jaw and trying in vain to stop laughing{{{

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Now that''s comedy, IG. But if you''re going to ride the tractor into the wedding I think it should be a color different than your dress...hot pink? purple? Wouldn''t want you to blend in ya know!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
LOL, good thinking Kim! Well, let's see, our flowers are either going to be deep burgundy red or 'vosges chocolates purple' (pic attached). So what about a red tractor? Or a purple one? That might match the dress better? Do they make purple tractors? Maybe we could have one custom built.

Or we could do 'Pimp my Tractor'.

vosges purple.jpg

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 11:37:11 AM
Hey Summer, dumb q here: what''s a roomba? Sounds like fun... Maybe we need one of those too?

It''s a robotic vacuum cleaner! Yes, REALLY!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, FI must NOT learn of the existence of this object! Otherwise, he will insist we need 6 of them and set them going constantly.

Gwyn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2007 10:28:50 PM
Author:Independent Gal
Honey and I went registering today. We both love good design and especially Italian design, and hence Alessi. So we thought we''d register for a bunch of stuff there. FI made a bee-line for this pepper mill. It is $200. It is also 3 feet high. He insists that it''s perfect because a) you may never have to refill it again in your life (but where are we going to get that many peppercorns to begin with??!) and b) given he is 6''5'' tall, it is the perfect length for him. As for me, I can hardly lift it.

ARGH! This object is SO REDONKULOUS! Yet FI loves it. So I let him put it on the registry. But I think I''ll buy it for him and take it off before anyone sees it. Asking for a $200 pepper mill could lose you friends.
37.gif
2.gif

Speaking of which, the flatware we like best (I''ll try to find a pic) is $95 a place setting. Is that crazy? It sounds crazy to me, but I''ve really no idea what these things cost. I don''t want us to look greedy. And after that pepper mill... we''re treading the line.
4.gif

Independent, you crack me up! And so does your FI. Mainly because of you closely you will occasionally mirror myself and mine. LOL

My FI also fell in love with a pepper mill like this (he is 6 foot 5 as well) Must be a tall guy thing.

I am just over 5 feet so to me, it is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

We have a flatware set like the one you bought, I think we got it at Crate and Barrel when we moved and paid right around 50 to 60 for it. I don''t this it is too ridiculous. And I dont think you are being greedy. People are going to want to buy you things and most will be around 100 dollars anyway

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
BTW, what is with boys and that scanning device?!?! FI was all ''No! No! You can''t touch it! It''s mine! I get to do it!'' and I''m all ''But c''mon honey, can''t I do just one?'' and he''s all ''NOOOOO! Mine. Stay back.''

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Diggin'' that purple, IG...and even if you choose red flowers I still say it works...they do have pimp my truck on CMT now so you could see if they''d make the small leap and pimp your tractor...I''m seeing purple with red flames.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why don''t you register at Amazon? That way you can get the same flatware at half the price. Oh and Sam''s club would have enough peppercorn to fill that baby!
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2007 10:47:33 PM
No, no, no, IG...no shiny green John Deeres. If you''re going to do this right get a shiny blue Ford, they''re the best! LOL!!!

I don''t know if the pepper grinder will exactly lose friends for you, it might be the type of thing where if a couple is shopping together for you, the male half might think it''s totally cool as well and want to buy it for the same reasons your FI likes it. But I can see your logic in maybe just getting it for him yourself and not worrying over it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to answer the flatware question: imo, $95 per place setting isn''t insane. Flatware is something that will last quite a few years and lots of people will be willing to pay $100 for a place setting no questions asked. Another option is to maybe lower the amount of settings you register for and get a few yourself for the $50 price? Maybe you could leave the pepper grinder on the registry and use that $200 to buy 4 place settings of your flatware on Amazon rather than add another registry to the mix, I don''t know if you have more than one started but 2-3 is a good number to have, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results