shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you attend a wedding at this time?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should go with your comfort level to make the best decision for you. I am not afraid of contracting Covid so I would go. I am far from reckless but have never been afraid of contracting Covid so my comfort level may be much different than yours.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't feel bad. I wear my mask everywhere and people GLARE at me...I let it roll off me like Teflon.....

I only had one person do that to me @canuk-gal..She had an attitude. She asked me why I was wearing a mask..like she was annoyed with me..I told her I was protecting her. Her face did some weird thing..and then she turned around. :roll2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should go with your comfort level to make the best decision for you. I am not afraid of contracting Covid so I would go. I am far from reckless but have never been afraid of contracting Covid so my comfort level may be much different than yours.
Dedicated_to_Ayesha_by_lovexmetal.gif :bigsmile:.

I would attend, but if Mama aren't 100% comfortable she shouldn't attend. Don't let other people pressure you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one was vaccinated. My country hadn't even gotten any vaccine that time.
My aunt said the family blamed the grandchild for bringing back the virus. It was horrible situation all around because that also started outbreak in their hometown.

This is so sad

This happened here too in our first outbreak last year before anyone knew much
A guest was a flight attendant

The grooms father died
interestingly the catering staff followed excellent hygiene and were largly unaffected but guests came from a over the country and took covid back with them
in the days before the vacine but also before delta

i always think of this when people talk about attending weddings now days

they interviewed the bride on tv a while back
she was devastated and said the big fancy wedding wasn't worth it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

Not if you are uncomfortable with the situation. You could go and be perfectly fine after, but something could happen and I think it’s not worth the risk. People eat and drink at weddings so presume masks will not be worn all the time. And the Delta variant is so infectious that you can even catch the virus from a passing encounter (based on what actually happened in Australia at some shopping mall).

Someone here caught it in mamaged isolation after their hotel room door was open for like 5 seconds 4 times at the same time as the door opposite

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only had one person do that to me @canuk-gal..She had an attitude. She asked me why I was wearing a mask..like she was annoyed with me..I told her I was protecting her. Her face did some weird thing..and then she turned around. :roll2:

That's even more rude than someone asking if an ER is fake :angryfire:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine having wedding plans go awry like this.

The wedding I am invited to was originally planned for last year. While my friend got most deposits back, she still was left with printed invitations, favors with the date, etc that she could not use.

With vaccinations and things looking good in MA, she scrambled to find an available venue, caterer, etc for this fall... only to have this surge happen.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a new ER thread where the couple are eloping
I think that's the way to do it right now
More exciting than the registry office

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine having wedding plans go awry like this.

The wedding I am invited to was originally planned for last year. While my friend got most deposits back, she still was left with printed invitations, favors with the date, etc that she could not use.

With vaccinations and things looking good in MA, she scrambled to find an available venue, caterer, etc for this fall... only to have this surge happen.

Yes. Exactly. The two weddings I have this fall were postponed from last year. My children’s friends are at that age and this was. One. Busy. Summer for weddings!!
I really want to go…and have a fab gown too…

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d consider it depending on:
Everyone showing proof of vaccination
No children
Small guestlist of people I trust wouldn’t lie about their vaccination status
Indoor ventilation and spacing
Local transmission rates
My personal risk profile and tolerance

I’m fully vaxxed, and have my n95 I can wear to things, and have no regular contact with any friends/family that would be vulnerable if I became an asymptomatic carrier. I wear PPE at all times at work.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’d consider it depending on:
Everyone showing proof of vaccination
No children
Small guestlist of people I trust wouldn’t lie about their vaccination status
Indoor ventilation and spacing
Local transmission rates
My personal risk profile and tolerance

I’m fully vaxxed, and have my n95 I can wear to things, and have no regular contact with any friends/family that would be vulnerable if I became an asymptomatic carrier. I wear PPE at all times at work.

Thanks @MakingTheGrade I just found out the bride’s mom and some family members are unvaccinated by choice..
Children will be there…
We’re in the substantial level of transmission
I’m old…:lol:
I’m not going..I just don’t have the words to tell her yet..

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Wow, there’s no way you’d get me there with people who’ve refused to be vaccinated.

I’d suggest something subtle like “I’m not prepared to mix with people who refuse to get vaccinated and have no regard for the safety of other people” :mrgreen:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
:shock: Wow, there’s no way you’d get me there with people who’ve refused to be vaccinated.

I’d suggest something subtle like “I’m not prepared to mix with people who refuse to get vaccinated and have no regard for the safety of other people” :mrgreen:

@Austina :lol: I wish I could say that! It was told to me by another friend..I don’t want to throw her under the bus..I’m not sure it’s public knowledge. I could be sneaky and ask my friend if everyone is fully vaccinated. If she answers yes it will damage the relationship with me. This fact is too dangerous to keep a secret.
I went to the bride’s shower last month. Her mother was there. My friend never told me she wasn’t vaccinated.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine having wedding plans go awry like this…

And yet… this was predictable. Not for last year, of course. But that there would still be uncertainty this year, and that we’d at some level we’d still be dealing with masked versus unmasked people, that large indoor gatherings would still be iffy… that was all predictable.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina :lol: I wish I could say that! It was told to me by another friend..I don’t want to throw her under the bus..I’m not sure it’s public knowledge. I could be sneaky and ask my friend if everyone is fully vaccinated. If she answers yes it will damage the relationship with me. This fact is too dangerous to keep a secret.
I went to the bride’s shower last month. Her mother was there. My friend never told me she wasn’t vaccinated.

I would stay out of the vaccine debate and leave it at the fact that given the Delta variant surge, you are no longer comfortable going to indoor events where wearing a mask and/or physical distancing is not feasible.

We all have our own tolerance for risk during these times and hopefully your friend will respect that.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And yet… this was predictable. Not for last year, of course. But that there would still be uncertainty this year, and that we’d at some level we’d still be dealing with masked versus unmasked people, that large indoor gatherings would still be iffy… that was all predictable.

Conceivable yes. Predictable implies a certainty - which may be true for some but not all. We all hoped for the best and that we were seeing the end of this in some regions. To be fair, with vaccinations and original effectiveness (from end of May to July, average daily cases in MA were well under 100), many saw the light at the end of the tunnel with high vaccination rates. The virus is unpredictable with efficacy of the vaccines against variants and long term unknown. The question is what level of certainty should we wait for before trying to get on with life with some semblance of normal?

Things have changed dramatically for the worse in the past month and so we're all having to now recalibrate for what is. My work just postponed their planned return to office and friends cancelled their 40th wedding celebration due to changes. Things they wouldn't have planned for if they had predicted things going the way they did.

My apologies for going off topic.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will go a step further and say it’s unethical of your friend to intentionally remain silent on the fact that some people who will be in attendance are not vaccinated. SMH.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Conceivable yes. Predictable implies a certainty - which may be true for some but not all. We all hoped for the best and that we were seeing the end of this in some regions. To be fair, with vaccinations and original effectiveness (from end of May to July, average daily cases in MA were well under 100), many saw the light at the end of the tunnel. The virus is unpredictable so the question is what level of certainty should we wait for before trying to get on with life with some semblance of normal?

Things have changed dramatically for the worse in the past month and so we're all having to now recalibrate for what is. My work just postponed their planned return to office and friends cancelled their 40th wedding celebration due to changes.

My apologies for going off topic.

You’re absolutely right - I overstated my case. On further reflection, there are three factors at play, only one of which was fully predictable.

The rapid waning of the effectiveness of the vaccinations was, for most of us, not predictable. I suspect it may even have caught some experts bu surprise.

Experts had warned about the possible emergence of a new, more virulent strain. Still, I suspect many of us who aren’t experts weren’t paying close attention to that possibility, especially the possibility that it could become dominant so quickly.

The ongoing tension between those who are willing to take the vaccines and those who aren’t was predictable, at least where I live.

And I probably missed a factor or two?

One of our neighbors had a mid-sized outdoor wedding early last month, and managed to get
right in the window between Covid storms. (The bride is a physician and the mother of the bride is immunocompromised, so I’m sure there were some Covid restrictions in place.) They even managed to get it in before the wildfires hit and started blanketing the area almost daily. I’m very happy it worked out that way for them!

But I also think that planning any big event this year is kind of a crapshoot and - back to the topic at hand - I’d hope that anyone planning a big event this year would understand if some people choose not to attend because of Covid concerns.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will go a step further and say it’s unethical of your friend to intentionally remain silent on the fact that some people who will be in attendance are not vaccinated. SMH.

I agree @missy..I’m having a problem with that. I keep going to the website to see if there is any mention on how to keep everyone safe. There’s nothing mentioned..There are photos of the little ring bearer and flower girl. It’s really upsetting to me that they would expose
those poor children.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don’t understand why people are scheduling large weddings right now.

I say this as someone who had to cancel her wedding so I am deeply empathetic to how miserable that is, but to knowingly go ahead with a large wedding after the pandemic started seems really irresponsible, both morally and financially

Having a fantasy day is not worth risking anyone’s health. We had 10 people attend, outside, social distanced, with masks. This was before vaccines were widely available and we would’ve insisted on that too. We wouldn’t cancelled altogether, but parents really wanted some kind of small ceremony

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I say this as someone who had to cancel her wedding so I am deeply empathetic to how miserable that is, but to knowingly go ahead with a large wedding after the pandemic started seems really irresponsible, both morally and financially

Having a fantasy day is not worth risking anyone’s health. We had 10 people attend, outside, social distanced, with masks. This was before vaccines were widely available and we would’ve insisted on that too. We wouldn’t cancelled altogether, but parents really wanted some kind of small ceremony

This!! I have one niece who went ahead and booked a wedding for 150 people for next June—indoors. Guess some people are more optimistic? I don’t get it. Her parents are very cautious and conservative regarding the virus but seem to think everything will be fine next June.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I’m sorry you had to cancel your wedding @Cerulean. It sounds like your most important people were there..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This!! I have one niece who went ahead and booked a wedding for 150 people for next June—indoors. Guess some people are more optimistic? I don’t get it. Her parents are very cautious and conservative regarding the virus but seem to think everything will be fine next June.
Next June is 9 months away. At some point most people will chose to go on with their lives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results