shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC of my discounted dreams? Opinions needed!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@Muluver oooh I thought your current project involved Gisele but you have multiple. That’s so exciting, can’t wait to see how everything pans out.

Thank you for your insight on OWD versus Sako. So very helpful! I think I will move ahead and reach out to both but definitely having a better idea about both vendors based on what you know.

I’m definitely compromising on finger coverage going earth mined but it is what it is. You’re right about the ratio of Marielle’s being different. I even went so far as to try and calculate on the VB size the ratio of their center to side stones then realizing that without actual mm spread, it wouldn’t be accurate. I think what can help me is that I prefer the side stones to actually be a bit smaller than the center. Not tiny, but I want to see a definite contrast. Hoping I can save more money in that aspect or funnel more of the funds towards the center stone. I’ll make sure I sent images of ratios I like when I reach out to the vendors!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh, please take a field trip and look at some slightly warmer stones irl ( I only say this because I was in your shoes last year color-wise). Doing the research now, might yield you a larger stone that you love. Or you may confirm that color triumphs clarity.

I ended up going for a GIA M colored stone and absolutely loved it. You really won’t know what your color threshold is without seeing some in person. The M color OMC that OWD just posted is SO pretty and a great clarity.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Oh, please take a field trip and look at some slightly warmer stones irl ( I only say this because I was in your shoes last year color-wise). Doing the research now, might yield you a larger stone that you love. Or you may confirm that color triumphs clarity.

I ended up going for a GIA M colored stone and absolutely loved it. You really won’t know what your color threshold is without seeing some in person. The M color OMC that OWD just posted is SO pretty and a great clarity.

@lulu_ma How did I know you might come back to tell me to look at warmer stones again? Haha

If I could just find antique cuts at my neighborhood BM store, I likely would have looked at warmer colors long ago.

If you’re familiar with the LA area, visiting Hill street/Jewelry district is not the most simple task (imo). It’s blocks of indoor vendors crammed together and sometimes on multiple story building requiring security check/appts…similar to an enormous indoor swap meet and with insane parking to boot? I also have a weird issue with not wanting to meet with a vendor unless I actually intend to buy from them, but that’s a personal thing.

Curious, is your M set in WG or YG? I did sit on that OWD M long and hard yesterday! I know I want a YG setting, maybe I have additional concerns that warmer colors would display more yellow or brown even if it faced up white on its own? My current ering is an H so not near colorless by any means and I’ve been using it as a gauge for my comfort level with color. I understand though that antique cuts “wear” their warmer colors much better though which is why I went down from my H to J even K.

But okay I know above sounds like a lot of lazy excuses so when I reach out to OWD and Sako, maybe I’ll explain that I may be open to warmer stones and will pay for shipping to see them in person and send back if they think I should consider. Paying shipping might even be cheaper than parking in LA+ gas prices these days to be honest! I may also be in SD more this year so maybe I can drop by CollinsFamily Jewelers to see what they have in stock.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Am I *that* predictable? :lol-2:

Here is my M next to my F emerald cut.

I did consider setting the M in yellow gold briefly. After playing around, I went with platinum.

ETA: my 4 ct M is spready with Medium Fluoro. A deeper M could hold more tint.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Am I *that* predictable? :lol-2:

Here is my M next to my F emerald cut.

I did consider setting the M in yellow gold briefly. After playing around, I went with platinum.

ETA: my 4 ct M is spready with Medium Fluoro. A deeper M could hold more tint.

Not predictable… but maybe a good gut feeling because I know you have my best interest in mind :D

Your collection is beautiful!!! And your M looks so white, I’m so surprised by it! Interesting that even when you just surrounded it in YG I seemed to see a color difference from the platinum but also unsure if it was just lighting?

I feel definitely feel more open but it would have to be a warm color that looks white? That’s essentially what you chose right? In the same way isn’t that trying to select a lower ct size but is spready and therefore getting more bang for your buck?

Basically did you go for the M because you ended up liking the warmth or did you go for the M because it faced up white despite the grading?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting question. I bought the 4 carat M because it was the prettiest stone in my budget at the time. I can see slight tint from the side view but not from the top. White facing is/ was important to me. I’ve since discovered that I could go down to an OP color for the right size stone.

This is an example of a uncerted stone that was too tinted for me. The jeweler graded it as a M color, but it was more like a QR color (the color was also uneven which irked me).

81964F86-868C-4977-BCAB-05E67D089205.jpeg

Also, metal choice does make a big difference. I reset my F emerald cut in 18k yellow gold and it doesn't look as icy as it did in platinum-but I still love the new ring!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
This is an interesting question. I bought the 4 carat M because it was the prettiest stone in my budget at the time. I can see slight tint from the side view but not from the top. White facing is/ was important to me. I’ve since discovered that I could go down to an OP color for the right size stone.

This is an example of a uncerted stone that was too tinted for me. The jeweler graded it as a M color, but it was more like a QR color (the color was also uneven which irked me).

81964F86-868C-4977-BCAB-05E67D089205.jpeg

Also, metal choice does make a big difference. I reset my F emerald cut in 18k yellow gold and it doesn't look as icy as it did in platinum-but I still love the new ring!

Thanks for insight on why you went for the M. I think I may be similar (?) in that I am okay to compromise color to a certain point to get to a bigger size. Especially seeing how white your K looks set in platinum I do think you prefer white facing versus a true warm stone? I guess I need to figure out what that fine balance is for me in terms of color and size but of course color is not 100% dependent on the grade and it’ll have to be case by case.

I’m pretty sure I will get too color sensitive with a warmer stone IN a yellow gold setting. But of course I could be proven wrong if I really do see it in real life, and I would have to see a warm stone mounted on a temp YG setting as well to be sure I won’t be bothered by it!

AL12

Shiny_Rock

It does look like it’s happening!

Just came here to post! You beat me to it. I’m so confused, the only conclusion is that he meant that there was nothing in my preferred ct/size range coming soon.

So should I wait for him to produce more? I already reached out to OWD… (basically wondering out loud here…)

@Muluver I’m also in serious consideration of a recent M OWD posted recently (linked above). Since you’ve known my preference well early on, do you think it would bother me? Have you looked at or considered warmer antique stones yourself?

@lulu_ma I know you said your M has some fluorescence. Do you see any warmth or vanilla/lace tones in certain lighting and do you like the character it gives or does it “bother you”?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Just came here to post! You beat me to it. I’m so confused, the only conclusion is that he meant that there was nothing in my preferred ct/size range coming soon.

So should I wait for him to produce more? I already reached out to OWD… (basically wondering out loud here…)

@Muluver I’m also in serious consideration of a recent M OWD posted recently (linked above). Since you’ve known my preference well early on, do you think it would bother me? Have you looked at or considered warmer antique stones yourself?

@lulu_ma I know you said your M has some fluorescence. Do you see any warmth or vanilla/lace tones in certain lighting and do you like the character it gives or does it “bother you”?

The color of 4 ct with fluoro never bothered me. My 7.6 HRD M is very deep. Some times she looks tinted in my car but usually she’s just a spectacular. The 4 ct is white facing, the 7.6 ct some times faces more vanilla.

I hope that you can see the OWD M irl-I think that’s the only way to make a true assessment.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
That’s maybe what he meant. It probably isn’t worth it to produce under 2 cts just yet for a custom cut like this since lab diamonds around 2ct and under are very affordable.

Whether or not lab diamonds are “mind clean” is an extremely personal decision. For me, PERSONALLY, lab diamonds are not yet mind clean, especially for old cuts. Perhaps they would be if I were looking to buy a MRB. I also am not sure how long you would have to wait for Alex to cut them in smaller sizes so you could be waiting for a long time… OR it could be in a couple of months? Only you can really make the decision as to whether or not it is worth it for you to take the wait and see approach.

I do really like the M from Adam. I think you’ll like the faceting from what I can surmise. However, color perception and color sensitive is also extremely personal and I don’t know if you would be disappointed with the color. That’s really why it would help to see some old cuts in the lower color range in person.

@Cerulean recently experienced this first hand when she went to Lang’s. I don’t know if you read through her thread of her search for the perfect OMC. It’s this thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-help-with-clarity-concerns.274188/

It’s a wonderful thread that outlines her experience and search that resulted in her finding the perfect stone for her. She used to think she only liked white stones. It turned out that she actually likes white stones AND colored stones. It was the in-between that she really didn’t like. She actually PREFERRED stones M and lower in color to super white stones. It’s possible that you may feel similar? Or maybe you really will only like whiter stones.

So you know that I currently have a project in the works with an OMC. That OMC is actually a 2.81 ct N. An N is the lowest colored stone I own and when I first got it, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it because I had been looking for an OMC in the J color range. I had a certain setting in mind when I got the N and I realized I still did want a whiter stone for that setting. But I really liked the N and kept it for a different setting (3 stone). The lower colored old cuts, if cut well, throws out an array of the most romantic colors that are very noticeable. I think it may have to do with the fact that they are more tinted? I am really not sure but that’s what I see with my eyes.

Here are some pictures of the N while loose in a stone holder in various lighting. It’s definitely not white and I would never describe it as white so if you want a white stone, the M will probably disappoint you.
EA36FC88-6A7E-4F51-B38B-0483EA6E06BA.jpeg

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The color of 4 ct with fluoro never bothered me. My 7.6 HRD M is very deep. Some times she looks tinted in my car but usually she’s just a spectacular. The 4 ct is white facing, the 7.6 ct some times faces more vanilla.

I hope that you can see the OWD M irl-I think that’s the only way to make a true assessment.

I went back to your IG! The size of your stones are just stunning!!! I think I was skimming and didn’t realize your 7.6 was a separate stone (though you had reset the 4ct). Just wow!! They really do face up so white at least from the photos of them you’ve posted.

So when you see the tint of your 7.6 in your car at times, does it make you feel any particular way?

But you’re right I think I need to see the M in my hand and under a variety of lighting to make a decision best for me.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I went back to your IG! The size of your stones are just stunning!!! I think I was skimming and didn’t realize your 7.6 was a separate stone (though you had reset the 4ct). Just wow!! They really do face up so white at least from the photos of them you’ve posted.

So when you see the tint of your 7.6 in your car at times, does it make you feel any particular way?

But you’re right I think I need to see the M in my hand and under a variety of lighting to make a decision best for me.

I am resetting my Oec M VS2 into a 3 stone ring. The side stones are J VS2s. I have a J VS2 transitional that I was considering using instead of the M because I thought the color difference would bother me. Was at my jeweler’s yesterday to bring the J, and we tried the M, and I couldn’t see any difference. The M really does face up white. Upside down is a different story—that is where I see the color.

First picture is J, second M.

All that being said, I am a platinum setting girl.

Attachments

• 5F0F9BFE-3E59-43A1-875E-C264DD686150.jpeg
    5F0F9BFE-3E59-43A1-875E-C264DD686150.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DE946C33-415C-4AE1-9862-5674B1D28318.jpeg
    DE946C33-415C-4AE1-9862-5674B1D28318.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

This stone is gorgeous and is incredibly priced. The faceting actually looks quite similar to my stone - I’d ask for more videos in different lighting and see how you feel! Adam is very nice. He will likely ship to you, or with my stone I had to “buy it” (he put a pre authorization hold on my card in the full amount of the stone without charging) and shipped it to me to view IRL. I had 10 days to decide, although it took me about 24hrs to make up my mind :)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
That’s maybe what he meant. It probably isn’t worth it to produce under 2 cts just yet for a custom cut like this since lab diamonds around 2ct and under are very affordable.

Whether or not lab diamonds are “mind clean” is an extremely personal decision. For me, PERSONALLY, lab diamonds are not yet mind clean, especially for old cuts. Perhaps they would be if I were looking to buy a MRB. I also am not sure how long you would have to wait for Alex to cut them in smaller sizes so you could be waiting for a long time… OR it could be in a couple of months? Only you can really make the decision as to whether or not it is worth it for you to take the wait and see approach.

I do really like the M from Adam. I think you’ll like the faceting from what I can surmise. However, color perception and color sensitive is also extremely personal and I don’t know if you would be disappointed with the color. That’s really why it would help to see some old cuts in the lower color range in person.

@Cerulean recently experienced this first hand when she went to Lang’s. I don’t know if you read through her thread of her search for the perfect OMC. It’s this thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-help-with-clarity-concerns.274188/

It’s a wonderful thread that outlines her experience and search that resulted in her finding the perfect stone for her. She used to think she only liked white stones. It turned out that she actually likes white stones AND colored stones. It was the in-between that she really didn’t like. She actually PREFERRED stones M and lower in color to super white stones. It’s possible that you may feel similar? Or maybe you really will only like whiter stones.

So you know that I currently have a project in the works with an OMC. That OMC is actually a 2.81 ct N. An N is the lowest colored stone I own and when I first got it, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about it because I had been looking for an OMC in the J color range. I had a certain setting in mind when I got the N and I realized I still did want a whiter stone for that setting. But I really liked the N and kept it for a different setting (3 stone). The lower colored old cuts, if cut well, throws out an array of the most romantic colors that are very noticeable. I think it may have to do with the fact that they are more tinted? I am really not sure but that’s what I see with my eyes.

Here are some pictures of the N while loose in a stone holder in various lighting. It’s definitely not white and I would never describe it as white so if you want a white stone, the M will probably disappoint you.
EA36FC88-6A7E-4F51-B38B-0483EA6E06BA.jpeg

I know what you mean about antique cuts labs not being mind clean from a faceting standpoint (at least not yet). They definitely have MRBs down and continue to perfect but other cuts are still a work in progress. Maybe because it seems like the cut becomes so sterile in a way versus the character true old cuts have? Maybe I was hoping that with Gisele's sarin report, it would also incorporate some of the wonkiness of old cuts but it's really hard to tell from that prelim video Alex posted. It is pretty but maybe doesn't hit the same way, interested to see how the actual stone looks.

I really like everything about that M too, in general I resonate with almost all the OMCs that Adam posts and I can't say that about every vendor.

I did peek into the post from @Cerulean here and there (because anything with OMC in the subject line is going to pique my interest) but I think I got overwhelmed with the numbering of stones and I couldn't track and follow so I abandoned ship but I'm so glad you made me re-read it because it was quite the journey! And the end result was very surprising to me! It was like reading a novel, I didn't expect that twist at the end @Cerulean! :D. But I think your update of how you absolutely hated the K in person really really confirmed I need to see these stones in person. I think your post and meticulous photos and posts will help many people like me on PS who are getting into old cuts!

@Muluver you keep amazing me with your stones that you keep taking out from your backpocket! what else do you have hiding there? I love how it's like "also hey by the way I have this other AMAZING stone I didn't mention". thanks so much for sharing photos of your N. In general I love pastel and I do like how these warmer colors throw this creamy pastel color... but I need to figure out if I will like it equally (or maybe more) than "white bling".

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I am resetting my Oec M VS2 into a 3 stone ring. The side stones are J VS2s. I have a J VS2 transitional that I was considering using instead of the M because I thought the color difference would bother me. Was at my jeweler’s yesterday to bring the J, and we tried the M, and I couldn’t see any difference. The M really does face up white. Upside down is a different story—that is where I see the color.

First picture is J, second M.

All that being said, I am a platinum setting girl.

Thanks for jumping on and sharing your insight! I really appreciate it!! The more feedback I get from PS-ers who have or experienced stones in the color range I'm debating between...the better!

Agree, that I may be less concerned about a warm antique old cut if I wanted it set in WG or platinum.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
This stone is gorgeous and is incredibly priced. The faceting actually looks quite similar to my stone - I’d ask for more videos in different lighting and see how you feel! Adam is very nice. He will likely ship to you, or with my stone I had to “buy it” (he put a pre authorization hold on my card in the full amount of the stone without charging) and shipped it to me to view IRL. I had 10 days to decide, although it took me about 24hrs to make up my mind :)

I'm hoping for that moment for me as well! (honestly I think you knew before you even got it and then opening that package was just sealing the deal!)

I love the faceting so much as well, Adam has a great eye (at least based on my preference for how I like omcs to look). I'll be sure to come back and post if I make progress with this M!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

The interior of my car is a taupe/ beige color. Sure, I don't love the tint that I see maybe 5% of the time. But, usually I am just in awe of the 7.6 ct.

Here's pic I just took with my GIA F (both rings could use a wash and I'm wearing dark grey :roll:)

Just be prepared for any stone you see to be a bit of a chameleon!

IMG_0887.jpg

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The interior of my car is a taupe/ beige color. Sure, I don't love the tint that I see maybe 5% of the time. But, usually I am just in awe of the 7.6 ct.

Here's pic I just took with my GIA F (both rings could use a wash and I'm wearing dark grey :roll:)

Just be prepared for any stone you see to be a bit of a chameleon!

IMG_0887.jpg

Amazing! Yes everything I am hearing about chameleon like nature of warm cuts are messing with my head. I do need to see them in person!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean about antique cuts labs not being mind clean from a faceting standpoint (at least not yet). They definitely have MRBs down and continue to perfect but other cuts are still a work in progress. Maybe because it seems like the cut becomes so sterile in a way versus the character true old cuts have? Maybe I was hoping that with Gisele's sarin report, it would also incorporate some of the wonkiness of old cuts but it's really hard to tell from that prelim video Alex posted. It is pretty but maybe doesn't hit the same way, interested to see how the actual stone looks.

I really like everything about that M too, in general I resonate with almost all the OMCs that Adam posts and I can't say that about every vendor.

I did peek into the post from @Cerulean here and there (because anything with OMC in the subject line is going to pique my interest) but I think I got overwhelmed with the numbering of stones and I couldn't track and follow so I abandoned ship but I'm so glad you made me re-read it because it was quite the journey! And the end result was very surprising to me! It was like reading a novel, I didn't expect that twist at the end @Cerulean! :D. But I think your update of how you absolutely hated the K in person really really confirmed I need to see these stones in person. I think your post and meticulous photos and posts will help many people like me on PS who are getting into old cuts!

@Muluver you keep amazing me with your stones that you keep taking out from your backpocket! what else do you have hiding there? I love how it's like "also hey by the way I have this other AMAZING stone I didn't mention". thanks so much for sharing photos of your N. In general I love pastel and I do like how these warmer colors throw this creamy pastel color... but I need to figure out if I will like it equally (or maybe more) than "white bling".

I’m glad you read through the post because I really enjoyed it too!! It was definitely a thriller with that twist at the end! Lol But in all seriousness, I think it highlights how important it is to see these old cuts in person and that everyone has different perception and preferences when it comes to color! I think a few field trips would be very helpful to figure out your personal preferences.

I may also have a smaller chubby pear project :lol-2:

ETA: Here is a comparison pic of my GIA G vintage asscher next to the GIA N OMC… I think this pic shows the “white bling” vs “creamy pastel” pretty well! I prefer the higher color and don’t like lower colors for a step cut but like a much bigger range of colors for OMCs.

2B4C6A43-8A4A-446B-81D7-D27742C8F75A.jpeg

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m glad you read through the post because I really enjoyed it too!! It was definitely a thriller with that twist at the end! Lol But in all seriousness, I think it highlights how important it is to see these old cuts in person and that everyone has different perception and preferences when it comes to color! I think a few field trips would be very helpful to figure out your personal preferences.

I love that it kept everyone on their toes, haha! Heck I surprised myself! also never thought I’d get a 3 carat anything in this lifetime :lol:

Yes and another factor is that each antique is just so unique - both in cut and tint. Even something that someone might see as an imperfection may be charming to someone else.

Keep us posted @AL12 - it’s a very fun journey.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ll also add, I think we were in a really similar head space at the beginning of the search. So, I relate to a lot of the hesitation, reluctance to see things IRL, and assumption that you’ll need colorless, and budget anxiety. So I hope you see my comments as having the best of intentions!

I thought that if I obsessed and analyzed photos, videos, etc I could comfortably establish my own preferences without seeing things in person.

But honestly, I do not think you will be able to confidently make a purchase without seeing more things IRL…and if you ever do have the chance to go to a store or show in the future, you may learn things post facto final upgrade, which is not the order you really want!

You seem to be in an area where you have options which is amazing, I had to fly to California LOL. Analysis paralysis I think is a symptom of not seeing things IRL. You will very quickly know what your eyes are drawn to when you are presented with a sea of options!

It also doesn’t mean you need to walk out with something. You need to train your eyes and identify what you do and don’t like. It’s not like modern stones where cut patterns can be so similar you can easily sniff out a good one. I felt much more confident after my trip, although there is always room to learn and maybe add a few more diamonds to my collection, slowly over time (would still love a pear and OEC some day) and when nagging doubt is a personality trait that doesn’t necessarily go away 100%, but maybe 80%!

Yes, the scarcity is a factor but don’t let that make you feel like there isn’t time to make an appointment at a store. I totally get wanting to have something NOW

I will also be frank…a high color 3 stone with the size you want for 10k and generous return policies or certs is extremely unlikely. You’re going to be making a major concession on one of the Cs to do that, or buying an uncerted stone, from an auction, wholesaler or preloved. I think buying a stone that you know has risks (like poor clarity) without much in the way of guarantees and experience seeing old cuts IRL is not a good fit. It is for some PSers, but may not be for you

If you’re open to buying a center first, living with it, and getting sides later I think you’ll be in a much better position to actually satisfy your desires without paying so much right now.

Also - here is a stone that I thought was so lovely I almost threw every parameter out for it! I’m glad I didn’t as I wouldn’t have been happy with the color or size in the end, but the cut is soooo beautiful, although it leans OEC - will have excellent light return compared to the average OMC. It may not be a flavor you like as it isn’t wonky at all - in fact it’s almost perfectly symmetrical. It tops out your budget, and so sides would have to come later. Not sure if they have a cert or their policies so something to ask about if you like it

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll also add, I think we were in a really similar head space at the beginning of the search. So, I relate to a lot of the hesitation, reluctance to see things IRL, and assumption that you’ll need colorless, and budget anxiety. So I hope you see my comments as having the best of intentions!

I thought that if I obsessed and analyzed photos, videos, etc I could comfortably establish my own preferences without seeing things in person.

But honestly, I do not think you will be able to confidently make a purchase without seeing more things IRL…and if you ever do have the chance to go to a store or show in the future, you may learn things post facto final upgrade, which is not the order you really want!

You seem to be in an area where you have options which is amazing, I had to fly to California LOL. Analysis paralysis I think is a symptom of not seeing things IRL. You will very quickly know what your eyes are drawn to when you are presented with a sea of options!

It also doesn’t mean you need to walk out with something. You need to train your eyes and identify what you do and don’t like. It’s not like modern stones where cut patterns can be so similar you can easily sniff out a good one. I felt much more confident after my trip, although there is always room to learn and maybe add a few more diamonds to my collection, slowly over time (would still love a pear and OEC some day) and when nagging doubt is a personality trait that doesn’t necessarily go away 100%, but maybe 80%!

Yes, the scarcity is a factor but don’t let that make you feel like there isn’t time to make an appointment at a store. I totally get wanting to have something NOW

I will also be frank…a high color 3 stone with the size you want for 10k and generous return policies or certs is extremely unlikely. You’re going to be making a major concession on one of the Cs to do that, or buying an uncerted stone, from an auction, wholesaler or preloved. I think buying a stone that you know has risks (like poor clarity) without much in the way of guarantees and experience seeing old cuts IRL is not a good fit. It is for some PSers, but may not be for you

If you’re open to buying a center first, living with it, and getting sides later I think you’ll be in a much better position to actually satisfy your desires without paying so much right now.

Also - here is a stone that I thought was so lovely I almost threw every parameter out for it! I’m glad I didn’t as I wouldn’t have been happy with the color or size in the end, but the cut is soooo beautiful, although it leans OEC - will have excellent light return compared to the average OMC. It may not be a flavor you like as it isn’t wonky at all - in fact it’s almost perfectly symmetrical. It tops out your budget, and so sides would have to come later. Not sure if they have a cert or their policies so something to ask about if you like it

Excellent advice/comments and I have that ring saved too!

AL12

Shiny_Rock

ETA: Here is a comparison pic of my GIA G vintage asscher next to the GIA N OMC… I think this pic shows the “white bling” vs “creamy pastel” pretty well! I prefer the higher color and don’t like lower colors for a step cut but like a much bigger range of colors for OMCs.

2B4C6A43-8A4A-446B-81D7-D27742C8F75A.jpeg

Thanks for the comparison pics! Appreciate it.

Also chubby pear? You seem to have everything on my wishlist. Hahah considering making my current e-ring (profile pic) a toi et moi with a pear "on the chubby side" but considering maybe rose cut. Anyway I won't have funds for a long while so just "for fun" musings I'm having.

AL12

Shiny_Rock

Absolutely no offense taken. I did heavily cut away at the desired size of my center stone once I went back to looking at earth mined but I knew at the color range I was looking for, the biggest center I would be getting was a 1.2-1.3 or *maaaaybe* a 1.4 with lower clarity. I haven't looked at what side stone pricing would look like since I never got unstuck from how I was going to get the center stone, so that was my best guess. I think I just hoped to find that rare spready one that would make me feel like I was getting more for the $. This 1.71 only came into play.... i think mainly at the urging of @lulu_ma to look at warm stone irl and because it checked every other box off :D. I was also hopeful that OWD could work with my budget for the final product based on another PS-er who had a 3 stone made recently . (Also btw I did not know Adam/OWD was a member of this forum...not sure why I automatically felt so nervous when I saw they could potentially and may have already read everything I wrote :D)

I also have considered going for the largest center stone I could afford for now and then getting the side stones later but I feel that what I want at this moment is a three stone and just having a solitaire would just seem so unfinished. Possibly because I've had a solitaire for so many years too, so it wouldn't seem enough of a change-up for me? Maybe I'm just bad at playing this long game! Honestly this all started with me looking for a new wedding band in YG and then deciding to just upgrade my e-ring if I was converting to YG... and therefore I still need a wedding band project to stack way down the road. My goodness, does this itch never end!? I already know the answer :D. Also, just personally, I don't think our family is generating an income where I would feel it would be fiscally appropriate to wear just one piece of jewelry that was over 10K, even 8K makes me feel a little nervous but this upgrade is a long-time coming as there was a lot of compromise that had to happen with my first e-ring and wedding band. Now that I think about it, my long-game is probably accumulating a small collection of pieces that I love and will be wearing frequently if not daily. (even now, I currently wear my e-ring and band almost daily and MRB bezeled pendant necklace that I rarely take off. my husband says that he still catches me looking at my ring when it is especially sparkly in certain lighting hahahah).

Also love that stone's faceting that you linked, I have no problem with stones labeled OEC that look more like OMC... I have come across a few. But yes, I think one thing about OMCs that I feel really drawn to is how they can be a bit wonky (but if too wonky... then no. it's a fine balance and I know, I'm just so picky with the budget I have, BUT i am a realist as well or I like to think I am). But the picture of that stone seems so dark to my untrained eye? I did some language deciphering and it seems to be rated an H? But if you and @Muluver love it, what I do I know for sure is that it's likely an amazing stone.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comparison pics! Appreciate it.

Also chubby pear? You seem to have everything on my wishlist. Hahah considering making my current e-ring (profile pic) a toi et moi with a pear "on the chubby side" but considering maybe rose cut. Anyway I won't have funds for a long while so just "for fun" musings I'm having.

I think a toi et moi with your current ering stone and a chubby pear would be phenomenal! It’s quite rewarding to have these “for fun” musings come to fruition even if it takes some time! The setting for Gisele has been my “someday” ring for over 8 years now and it’s still not even in the works yet lol I’ve now got the center stone finally with Gisele and I’m gathering the melee/accent stones (which I think I may have finally completed this week) as old cut melee can be quite expensive. But I’m waiting for the N OMC project to be completed first (which will be another 2 months or so… I hope not longer) before I send it all off.

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely no offense taken. I did heavily cut away at the desired size of my center stone once I went back to looking at earth mined but I knew at the color range I was looking for, the biggest center I would be getting was a 1.2-1.3 or *maaaaybe* a 1.4 with lower clarity. I haven't looked at what side stone pricing would look like since I never got unstuck from how I was going to get the center stone, so that was my best guess. I think I just hoped to find that rare spready one that would make me feel like I was getting more for the $. This 1.71 only came into play.... i think mainly at the urging of @lulu_ma to look at warm stone irl and because it checked every other box off :D. I was also hopeful that OWD could work with my budget for the final product based on another PS-er who had a 3 stone made recently . (Also btw I did not know Adam/OWD was a member of this forum...not sure why I automatically felt so nervous when I saw they could potentially and may have already read everything I wrote :D)

I also have considered going for the largest center stone I could afford for now and then getting the side stones later but I feel that what I want at this moment is a three stone and just having a solitaire would just seem so unfinished. Possibly because I've had a solitaire for so many years too, so it wouldn't seem enough of a change-up for me? Maybe I'm just bad at playing this long game! Honestly this all started with me looking for a new wedding band in YG and then deciding to just upgrade my e-ring if I was converting to YG... and therefore I still need a wedding band project to stack way down the road. My goodness, does this itch never end!? I already know the answer :D. Also, just personally, I don't think our family is generating an income where I would feel it would be fiscally appropriate to wear just one piece of jewelry that was over 10K, even 8K makes me feel a little nervous but this upgrade is a long-time coming as there was a lot of compromise that had to happen with my first e-ring and wedding band. Now that I think about it, my long-game is probably accumulating a small collection of pieces that I love and will be wearing frequently if not daily. (even now, I currently wear my e-ring and band almost daily and MRB bezeled pendant necklace that I rarely take off. my husband says that he still catches me looking at my ring when it is especially sparkly in certain lighting hahahah).

Also love that stone's faceting that you linked, I have no problem with stones labeled OEC that look more like OMC... I have come across a few. But yes, I think one thing about OMCs that I feel really drawn to is how they can be a bit wonky (but if too wonky... then no. it's a fine balance and I know, I'm just so picky with the budget I have, BUT i am a realist as well or I like to think I am). But the picture of that stone seems so dark to my untrained eye? I did some language deciphering and it seems to be rated an H? But if you and @Muluver love it, what I do I know for sure is that it's likely an amazing stone.

I don’t think it comes with a report so it’s just an estimate but the seller estimates it to be K/L. Which is why @Cerulean suspected it would not work for her color wise (it’s in that in between range that she does not like). I actually think the shape is not exactly your wheelhouse and maybe a bit too circular and not cushiony/square enough you but maybe you are ok with it? It also is probably too tinted for you too. I personally just love the whole ring and would never take this apart. If I had the funds I would snap it up but I’m all out of fun money for the rest of the year with my numerous projects lol

6CD0ECD8-37AF-4534-B0CD-8E89C7FC3E58.jpeg

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think it comes with a report so it’s just an estimate but the seller estimates it to be K/L. Which is why @Cerulean suspected it would not work for her color wise (it’s in that in between range that she does not like). I actually think the shape is not exactly your wheelhouse and maybe a bit too circular and not cushiony/square enough you but maybe you are ok with it? It also is probably too tinted for you too. I personally just love the whole ring and would never take this apart. If I had the funds I would snap it up but I’m all out of fun money for the rest of the year with my numerous projects lol

6CD0ECD8-37AF-4534-B0CD-8E89C7FC3E58.jpeg

I swear when I clicked the link it was NOT in English! Now it magically converted!! Yes the true shape I’m not sure due to the bezel around it but the tinting more than anything didn’t click with me and K/L makes much more sense!

You have amazing patience to not be showing off Gisele for the last 8 years! My goodness, I would want that on my finger asap and I would just be staring at my finger :D Again, I can’t wait to see how all your projects turn out!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

So, I hear you on total cost. That is a totally personal decision and I can’t advise you there on what is a good budget for you! And it’s still a healthy budget and nothing to sneeze at. But my point is that I think your expectations and your budget are not in line. Nice OMCs have simply gotten expensive and moreso than OECs, and well cut high color OMCs are very rare. I’d encourage you to do comps on retail sites to help you really understand current pricing, instead of basing expectations off of the lowest cost item you find. The rarity aspect is appealing, but to paint a picture…I bought my (former) 1.3 E SI1 color OEC 2 years ago for 10k. Grace was willing to take it off my hands for FULL credit, and I’m certain she would’ve resold it for more. And high color OECs are more common than OMCs, and it was still like a needle in a haystack to find it and I had to come to terms with budget. I know you aren’t after an E, but that’s to paint a picture. Buyers like Grace also scour the second hand market (I know bc I’ve seen her resell things I encountered myself). If a deal is to be had on a rare, high color OMC there is fierce competition. The cost difference between J to K also seems pretty big

I also think that you should definitely consider side stone cost. The ratios you seem to like have significant side stones that would be at least 1/2 to 3/4 carats (unless I’ve misunderstood the vibe you like) which is why I’m not confident your budget is realistic even with the reduction in the center size, especially once you factor in the setting. You could probably get a beautiful solitaire with your budget and center stone size, and upgrade later. Or dainty sides. Or lower color

But this sorta comes back to why you should really consider seeing things in person to see if color is a concession you are willing to make. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. If it is, your budget is doable. But J and above? Mostly eye clean SI2s etc do exist etc, but am with antiques especially I would not play fast and loose with clarity issues without a cert

And sure, there are deals to be had and there are some amazing deal hounds on this forum who can help you extend your budget as much as possible, but to be honest many of these “deals” come with some other concessions like lack of security and guarantees and at a certain point, you get what you pay for. And since you haven’t seen much IRL that layers on the risk. That is my honest opinion

As for the stone I shared - only you can decide if you like it! If you like a little wonk, it’s probably not for you. I just figured I’d share is as it was the closest thing I had saved that resembled your criteria! It’s just a gorg bright stone and hope a PSer snags it. The darkness you see is likely obstruction from a camera or something

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results