shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC of my discounted dreams? Opinions needed!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi AL12! The diamond has a pretty cut, but there is something going on that you might want to assess in person, with a good return policy. It looks like it has fluorescence or clouds or graining so the stone looks cloudy or hazy or milky. I am not an expert, so I can’t tell exactly what’s going on. The stone is a mystery, it’s antique. But in addition to the dark crystal inclusions, I think the stone has something going on that affects transparency, perhaps it’s fluorescence? In any case, I’m starting to think that clarity problems are going to be obvious. I hope someone else here can give their opinion to validate what I think I see.

Thank you for your above comments and assessments as always! I still like the cut too hahaha and I am definitely not an expert... I also hope someone else weighs in! I agree that it looks pretty different at different angles/light but so does my current stone (and all stones I'm sure). As how to interpret how it looks, it's also beyond me!

I'm not giving up completely on the stone but I'm also starting to and trying to detach based on all the warnings given! :cry2:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
You've gotten a lot of good advice here. Now the other kind. I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I would regard the inclusions as provenance. It's a beautiful diamond and unique - find another. HPHT from Mother Earth and cut by someone who took his knowledge to his grave.

I do think the idea of selling it later if you don't love it has merit. You're not locked in, you could part that thing out. That price is very attractive. But if you pass, you are locked out.

iloveshinythings22

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input! I look at this site a lot to stare at their OMCs and jubilees for fun but since their site is not transparent about pricing I don't go much further since I already assume anything I would want is out of budget :)

Haha anytime! I’m sorry they don’t display their prices on posts I swear all jewelers should do that

AL12

Shiny_Rock
You've gotten a lot of good advice here. Now the other kind. I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I would regard the inclusions as provenance. It's a beautiful diamond and unique - find another. HPHT from Mother Earth and cut by someone who took his knowledge to his grave.

I do think the idea of selling it later if you don't love it has merit. You're not locked in, you could part that thing out. That price is very attractive. But if you pass, you are locked out.

Eeek!!! Thank you for your input! Definitely trying to find a balance between what you said about and making a wise educated choice.

Thankful for everyone’s input whether it’s one way or the other as it is really making me confirm what is important to me.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do you think you would ever reset the center stone?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Do you think you would ever reset the center stone?

I think the main goal is to pluck that center stone out and make a trilogy. Is that what you are asking?

Or are you asking, once I create my trilogy potentially with this antique, would I replace the center stone? And the answer is yes IF the inclusions bother me, but I am fairly confident that if I do, it would be for an eye clean MMD.

Or did I completely not answer your question? :D

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think the main goal is to pluck that center stone out and make a trilogy. Is that what you are asking?

Or are you asking, once I create my trilogy potentially with this antique, would I replace the center stone? And the answer is yes IF the inclusions bother me, but I am fairly confident that if I do, it would be for an eye clean MMD.

Or did I completely not answer your question? :D

Yes, you did.

I looked at an EGL SI3 aka GIA I1 OEC. I passed on it because I had concerns about how structurally sound diamond was for a reset.

Without some kind of report, you really don’t know what you are getting. What if this is an I2 under a microscope?

That said if you love the diamond, you could just take a shot at it and be prepared to pay to ship it back to Belgium.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Yes, you did.

I looked at an EGL SI3 aka GIA I1 OEC. I passed on it because I had concerns about how structurally sound diamond was for a reset.

Without some kind of report, you really don’t know what you are getting. What if this is an I2 under a microscope?

That said if you love the diamond, you could just take a shot at it and be prepared to pay to ship it back to Belgium.

Very good point. The vendor attested that the stone has no feathering or cracking but of course that’s just his word as there is no true grading.

I hadn’t been taking that risk very seriously until you shared your story.

More things to consider, thank you!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Final post. I released the ring on the earlier side of my time zone due to travel plans and wanting to be mindful of the time difference for the vendor as he allowed me to place the item on hold until Friday. I did so silently because I had hoped to keep thinking about it during my trip as I still wasn’t confident about what to do.

Less than 24 hours of me releasing it from hold the ring sold from someone who has inquired about it just this week. The vendor was so kind to let me know… I will write a review of their store later as he was just the best.

Coincidence or not? Ps-er or not? I may never know but that’s that. I feel disappointed … maybe more at the thought it sold after I put so much heart into researching and vetting it with you all, but with luxury items (unless it’s a financial loss) I won’t lose sleep over it.

Thanks everyone for riding with me in my journey and feel free to tag me on any future finds but likely I’ll be waiting for Alex’s MMDs unless a complete trilogy like that posted above with OWD or CollinsFamily is found which could justify budget stretching due to convenience of not finding side stones.

Thank you all!

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
OP, it sounds like you've moved on from antique old cuts. Losing out on this stone must be cutting, but I'm sure you will heal!

If you change your mind and are open to a warmer stone, this is an absolute stunner.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
AL12-I just saw that the ring has sold.

If you wanted to keep the ring intact, I think I might have encouraged to buy it more. It is pretty and unique as is. But since this is your final upgrade and you want a trilogy, I really am confident that you can do better!

Shopping for old cuts is kind of like a treasure hunt. And I speak from experience. I found an old cut I love but I’m constantly hunting anyways!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
For what it’s worth, I really believe that you made the right decision for yourself, @AL12. I see the video that the vendor posted this morning on their IG and in that video the inclusions are very obvious and placed in such a way that they really hinder the view of the faceting under the table. It’s hard to distinguish the facets and it’s hard to tell that it’s even a OMC when the hand is moving at that speed. After seeing that video I’m pretty certain that you would have been disappointed with the center stone in person as I know the general shape and look of the facets are important to you! Frankly, the ring as a whole is beautiful (it’s even prettier in that last video as a whole) but since you were buying it for the center stone only I think you would have ended up returning it!

I completely agree with @lulu_ma that you can do better!

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
@AL12, it's good to make a decision and move on. JewelsbyGrace seems to have a steady supply of OMCs.
Will you release the name of the vendor? I'd like to see what they have.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
OP, it sounds like you've moved on from antique old cuts. Losing out on this stone must be cutting, but I'm sure you will heal!

If you change your mind and are open to a warmer stone, this is an absolute stunner.

Catching up to all these kind/encouraging messages after a day of travel and already feeling “better” about the loss.

Thank you as always for your finds! I’m still scared of warm cuts but I think my next goal is to look at warmer stones in person and see how I really feel about them. But it also seems so tricky because I read descriptions of K-M and vendors will say something like “faces up quite white”.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
AL12-I just saw that the ring has sold.

If you wanted to keep the ring intact, I think I might have encouraged to buy it more. It is pretty and unique as is. But since this is your final upgrade and you want a trilogy, I really am confident that you can do better!

Shopping for old cuts is kind of like a treasure hunt. And I speak from experience. I found an old cut I love but I’m constantly hunting anyways!

Thanks for your vote of confidence that you think I can do better! I feel not so confident only because I feel constrained by budget and what I want. I do still feel like it can probably only be achieved from MMD!

But this was such a learning experience for me in many ways when it comes to antiques and I’m thankful for everyone’s help and all that I learned!

I actually enjoy the hunt when shopping for items as much as the actual purchase… please continue to keep an eye out for me!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
For what it’s worth, I really believe that you made the right decision for yourself, @AL12. I see the video that the vendor posted this morning on their IG and in that video the inclusions are very obvious and placed in such a way that they really hinder the view of the faceting under the table. It’s hard to distinguish the facets and it’s hard to tell that it’s even a OMC when the hand is moving at that speed. After seeing that video I’m pretty certain that you would have been disappointed with the center stone in person as I know the general shape and look of the facets are important to you! Frankly, the ring as a whole is beautiful (it’s even prettier in that last video as a whole) but since you were buying it for the center stone only I think you would have ended up returning it!

I completely agree with @lulu_ma that you can do better!

Thank you for tracking with me through this whole process as well and your final input on the ring. I feel like you understood my preference for aesthetic well so your final assessment of the ring is comforting to me. It really was so pretty as a whole though huh?

I will trust you and @lulu_ma when you guys say you think I can do better! I’m sure we will touch base as Alex continues to release his old cut labs!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@AL12, it's good to make a decision and move on. JewelsbyGrace seems to have a steady supply of OMCs.
Will you release the name of the vendor? I'd like to see what they have.

Yes! The owner is Olivier and his store in Belgium is Lilagem Antiques.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/lilagem_antiques?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

While I could not verify authenticity of his products from members on PS, I had no red flags and all communication was extremely prompt despite time zone, kind and professional. He was up front about the inclusions from the first correspondence, provided a more generous hold time than I requested, honored my hold time and did not sell the stone until I confirmed to release the product from hold. He also applied zero pressure to rush or sway my decision and at one point gently had me consider pursuing a more eye clean stone if the inclusions were of concern and due to international purchase preventing me from seeing the stone in person.

This is my honest feedback of my experience and I spied many other beautiful pieces on their site :) I’ll likely write a better review at a later date.

Yes I look at JbG quite often! Most of what I like is over budget but I think mainly my hesitation to move forward with earth-mined is due to wanting to see if MMD cutting will catch up. Thank you for the recommendation!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is a pretty stone if you like a Maltese cross center.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I didn't get to read the entire thread, but want to mention I spent several months visiting pawn shops and eventually found my 2.12 OEC VS2 S-T. The shop allowed me to purchase it and send to GIA on my own and promised full refund if graded less than represented. The resulting VS2 grading was due to surface issues and was told by GIA if repolished, could grade IF. I never even considered polishing it, I love it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I didn't get to read the entire thread, but want to mention I spent several months visiting pawn shops and eventually found my 2.12 OEC VS2 S-T. The shop allowed me to purchase it and send to GIA on my own and promised full refund if graded less than represented. The resulting VS2 grading was due to surface issues and was told by GIA if repolished, could grade IF. I never even considered polishing it, I love it.

Shady I would love to see a photo! Also this prompted me to look at your threads and now I’m very curious about that one stone that was removed from a setting in very bad shape. You were going to have Brian Gavin recut It - would love to know those results as well!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
This is a pretty stone if you like a Maltese cross center.

Always great at these finds! Personally I prefer more pinwheel (can be a bit chunky though) versus a strong Maltese cross!

AL12

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for input!!! Agree with @Mreader! Although I’m set on omc versus oec i would love to see pics!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

AL12

Shiny_Rock
OP check this one out!

I missed this until now! Eeek. I’ll mull over it and try to see it in person to see how I feel about it being an L. (My major hesitance being that I am still curious what MMD will come out in the next few months)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I missed this until now! Eeek. I’ll mull over it and try to see it in person to see how I feel about it being an L. (My major hesitance being that I am still curious what MMD will come out in the next few months)

Jacob K has a couple that might be worthy checking out in person.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Just came across this and seems right up your alley and right on your budget… it’s the setting you want and it’s already a 3 stone. They also do “make an offer” so you may be able to get it for way less!

Probably not a G but could be H or I and It’s probably I1 but I know you don’t care as much re: clarity.

I think you live close to LA so maybe you can even go see it in person and they also have a 30 day return policy.

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Just came across this and seems right up your alley and right on your budget… it’s the setting you want and it’s already a 3 stone. They also do “make an offer” so you may be able to get it for way less!

Probably not a G but could be H or I and It’s probably I1 but I know you don’t care as much re: clarity.

I think you live close to LA so maybe you can even go see it in person and they also have a 30 day return policy.

[/

Thanks for thinking of me! =)2 I was actually considering coming back to this thread to "talk to you". I contacted Alex Park last week re: lab grown OMCs and mentioned modeling after Gisele and he made it sound like there was nothing coming down the pipeline that was similar. I think I'm pretty confident i'm going to go the earth-mined route, I've decreased all my dimensions/ct size of stones to match the increase in budget and was considering emailing Adam at OWD or Sako this weekend to see what they could offer with my budget? I figure if labs catch up, maybe I can upgrade again in the distant future but who knows, by then something else might interest me!

(Just saw that OWD posted a pretty M colored OMC but after thinking over it all day, I do think I would compromise size for a higher colored stone)

I've come across this ring a few times but forgotten about it since I've been so laser focused on labs! I'm pretty sure it's this ring posted on the IG?

I definitely like the size and ratio to center and side stones and also the color (if accurate!) but definitely would need to plate the setting to YG since that's a non-negotiable for me.... and since I hear plating will eventually chip the setting is one step away from being "perfect" which is tough since it's way at the top end of my budget. But I wonder if they will budge a little on the price if I purchase in-house since I can always swing by LA?

Can I get your opinion though? Does the faceting on the edges of the center stone seem... messy/mushy/dirty? I feel like something about it doesn't look crisp but not sure if I'm just over analyzing it since I would prefer to spend a few K less if possible :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I contacted Alex Park last week re: lab grown OMCs and mentioned modeling after Gisele and he made it sound like there was nothing coming down the pipeline that was similar.

Oh, that must have been disappointing news. I know you had been looking forward to it! He did cut an earth mined stone a few months back that was modeled after Gisele so I wonder if that was a test case and it didn’t quite meet his expectations and he scrapped the idea of duplicating Gisele with lab.

It’s this one and it was released after he took a Sarin of Gisele so I figured it was a test run to see if he would do a bunch with lab rough. I own the original Gisele and shipping her out was delayed for a few days due to the Sarin scan needing to taken first.

Can I get your opinion though? Does the faceting on the edges of the center stone seem... messy/mushy/dirty? I feel like something about it doesn't look crisp but not sure if I'm just over analyzing it since I would prefer to spend a few K less if possible :)

I do think it’s the same one on IG and I hadn’t seen a video of it before. That is extremely messy and I think it’s due to the clarity (worse in the video than the pics even and the pics weren’t that great!). There appears to be a lot of inclusions, feathers and/or clouds that is making the facets messy. I, personally, am not a fan of it. I just figured I would suggest it because the original ring you had started this thread about had similar messiness going on under the table and one of the sides due to the low clarity. If it bothers you, definitely don’t get it. You are not over analyzing at all. I don’t think it’s worth even mulling over.

I think I'm pretty confident i'm going to go the earth-mined route, I've decreased all my dimensions/ct size of stones to match the increase in budget and was considering emailing Adam at OWD or Sako this weekend to see what they could offer with my budget? I figure if labs catch up, maybe I can upgrade again in the distant future but who knows, by then something else might interest me!

I think that’s a good idea! There is just something about the charm of a genuine old cut to which most old cut lovers are drawn. I personally prefer imperfect earth mined old cuts to perfectly cut lab. So what IS your new budget and specs/dimensions/proportions that you are looking for?

I know you really liked the marielle from VB and they just posted on their story today that they will be releasing 3 new versions tomorrow.
https://instagram.com/stories/victorbarbonejewelry/2902030057832163372?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
It looks like one of them will be under 10k, I figure it’s the smallest one on top/right. That one is probably too small for you and I don’t think it’s your preferred proportions either. Is the middle one more in line with your new compromised size and proportions?

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
It’s this one and it was released after he took a Sarin of Gisele so I figured it was a test run to see if he would do a bunch with lab rough. I own the original Gisele and shipping her out was delayed for a few days due to the Sarin scan needing to taken first.
STOP.IT! YOU DO NOT! :eek2::eek2::eek2:Okay, I definitely, 100% need to see what you end up doing with Gisele, I hope I am still lurking around PS when you post... which at the pace I'm going with this ring is highly likely. I am so excited it went to someone on PS! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I was also a little confused since one of his last posts of Gisele clearly said he was thinking of modeling labs after her :\. But I can't just wait around forever when I have this itch to scratch!

Noted about the above JacobK trilogy, thanks for confirming what my uneducated eye noticed.

Any opinion by chance on OWD versus Sako? I think OWD definitely has a similar aesthetic of OMCs that he chooses to post which I connect with...and he's already made two similar trilogies that look just like what I want so I can have confidence as well, but I do think he will come at a premium? I am not as confident about Sako's selectiveness as he does not post as much and mainly creates very vintage settings, but my guess is that he may fall better within budget? I've also kind of lost my enthusiasm to select the stones one by one on my own if going earth-mined, now I think I would rather have an expert source all three.

New specs:
Roughly I've concluded that to aim for as close to a 1.5ct center stone (but likely will be around 1.3-1.4.... will try to hope for something spready :mrgreen2:) and then the side stones being in the proportion of the VB Marielle.
Color....I confess I still haven't looked at warmer stones in person but I still want to be no lower than a J... maybe K now due to budget.
Budget still at about 6-8K, realistically will most likely be 8K minimum based on what I want and may go up to 10K if possible payment plan and it's a set I can't live without...but really not wanting to go there if I can help it.

Thank you for the VB call out!!! I just look at VB here and there for fun since it's just so wildly out of budget. I will be watching it like a hawk tomorrow. If it's the top right though, they look like OECs to me? I wish I loved OECs instead, my life would be so much easier and so many lab OECs these days!

Appreciate all your help as always!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
STOP.IT! YOU DO NOT! :eek2::eek2::eek2:Okay, I definitely, 100% need to see what you end up doing with Gisele, I hope I am still lurking around PS when you post... which at the pace I'm going with this ring is highly likely. I am so excited it went to someone on PS! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I was also a little confused since one of his last posts of Gisele clearly said he was thinking of modeling labs after her :\. But I can't just wait around forever when I have this itch to scratch!

Noted about the above JacobK trilogy, thanks for confirming what my uneducated eye noticed.

Any opinion by chance on OWD versus Sako? I think OWD definitely has a similar aesthetic of OMCs that he chooses to post which I connect with...and he's already made two similar trilogies that look just like what I want so I can have confidence as well, but I do think he will come at a premium? I am not as confident about Sako's selectiveness as he does not post as much and mainly creates very vintage settings, but my guess is that he may fall better within budget? I've also kind of lost my enthusiasm to select the stones one by one on my own if going earth-mined, now I think I would rather have an expert source all three.

New specs:
Roughly I've concluded that to aim for as close to a 1.5ct center stone (but likely will be around 1.3-1.4.... will try to hope for something spready :mrgreen2:) and then the side stones being in the proportion of the VB Marielle.
Color....I confess I still haven't looked at warmer stones in person but I still want to be no lower than a J... maybe K now due to budget.
Budget still at about 6-8K, realistically will most likely be 8K minimum based on what I want and may go up to 10K if possible payment plan and it's a set I can't live without...but really not wanting to go there if I can help it.

Thank you for the VB call out!!! I just look at VB here and there for fun since it's just so wildly out of budget. I will be watching it like a hawk tomorrow. If it's the top right though, they look like OECs to me? I wish I loved OECs instead, my life would be so much easier and so many lab OECs these days!

Appreciate all your help as always!

LOL yes, it’ll be a while before Gisele gets set because I have so many projects currently in the works. I’m enjoying her loose for now and I bring her out often. She has SB fluor so it’s fun seeing her in the sun lol

I think OWD will be able to better assist you. Definitely reach out to both but OWD has way bigger stock. Sako, first and foremost, is a designer and a bench and is not really a diamond dealer. He buys and sells here and there and he can certainly source stones but diamond dealing is not his bread and butter. OWD will have a lot more options for you in general BUT it’s always possible that Sako will have that ONE stone that fits your criteria. Price wise, I think OWD bench is most likely way more affordable than Sako. So at the end of the day, I think OWD and Sako will probably even out, and OWD actually may end up being lower.

The smallest of the new Marielle’s are OECs, I just wanted to get a sense of the proportions and size/finger coverage you wanted. Marielle proportions also vary quite a bit (as you can see from the 3 new ones, they are all different) so I think you need a clearer parameter to provide to either OWD, Sako, or anyone else when reaching out. It honestly doesn’t hurt to reach out to various vendors to see what they have to offer. VB is very expensive so I don’t think they would fit your budget but I think they are a very good resource to determine the proportions you want since they do make so many Marielles.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results