shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC of my discounted dreams? Opinions needed!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Example - great clarity, color and cut, but not quite as big as you were hoping. Sides would still prob put you over budget or right at it, but its a very pretty OMC that might be closer to the style you like..vids would be telling

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I swear when I clicked the link it was NOT in English! Now it magically converted!! Yes the true shape I’m not sure due to the bezel around it but the tinting more than anything didn’t click with me and K/L makes much more sense!

You have amazing patience to not be showing off Gisele for the last 8 years! My goodness, I would want that on my finger asap and I would just be staring at my finger :D Again, I can’t wait to see how all your projects turn out!

Oh no, I’m not THAT patient LOL. I’ve just had the actual antique inspo ring with a chunky OMC that I’ve wanted to reproduced in the back of my head (with many screenshots dated 2014 saved in my phone) as a “perhaps” or “someday” ring for the last 8 years lol. In 2014, I definitely had other financial priorities that came before a right hand ring and I was not where I am now professionally either. I started seriously thinking about actually getting it made at the end of 2021/beginning of 2022 and really started searching for a OMC to go as the center since then. I got Gisele in April of this year so it’s only been 4 months lol. I just meant that your “for fun” musings may stick with you and you may end up going for it even years from now!

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
So, I hear you on total cost. That is a totally personal decision and I can’t advise you there on what is a good budget for you! And it’s still a healthy budget and nothing to sneeze at. But my point is that I think your expectations and your budget are not in line. Nice OMCs have simply gotten expensive and moreso than OECs, and well cut high color OMCs are very rare. I’d encourage you to do comps on retail sites to help you really understand current pricing, instead of basing expectations off of the lowest cost item you find. The rarity aspect is appealing, but to paint a picture…I bought my (former) 1.3 E SI1 color OEC 2 years ago for 10k. Grace was willing to take it off my hands for FULL credit, and I’m certain she would’ve resold it for more. And high color OECs are more common than OMCs, and it was still like a needle in a haystack to find it and I had to come to terms with budget. I know you aren’t after an E, but that’s to paint a picture. Buyers like Grace also scour the second hand market (I know bc I’ve seen her resell things I encountered myself). If a deal is to be had on a rare, high color OMC there is fierce competition. The cost difference between J to K also seems pretty big

I also think that you should definitely consider side stone cost. The ratios you seem to like have significant side stones that would be at least 1/2 to 3/4 carats (unless I’ve misunderstood the vibe you like) which is why I’m not confident your budget is realistic even with the reduction in the center size, especially once you factor in the setting. You could probably get a beautiful solitaire with your budget and center stone size, and upgrade later. Or dainty sides. Or lower color

But this sorta comes back to why you should really consider seeing things in person to see if color is a concession you are willing to make. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. If it is, your budget is doable. But J and above? Mostly eye clean SI2s etc do exist etc, but am with antiques especially I would not play fast and loose with clarity issues without a cert

And sure, there are deals to be had and there are some amazing deal hounds on this forum who can help you extend your budget as much as possible, but to be honest many of these “deals” come with some other concessions like lack of security and guarantees and at a certain point, you get what you pay for. And since you haven’t seen much IRL that layers on the risk. That is my honest opinion

As for the stone I shared - only you can decide if you like it! If you like a little wonk, it’s probably not for you. I just figured I’d share is as it was the closest thing I had saved that resembled your criteria! It’s just a gorg bright stone and hope a PSer snags it. The darkness you see is likely obstruction from a camera or something

I think all valid points for sure! And agree that my budget might likely be off quite a bit because I haven't done my due diligence to research cost of side stones. This is because the parameters of my center stone kept changing due to going back and forth to lab and earth mined therefore the size of the side stones kept changing. I'll have to see what OWD says at the end of the day? This is also why I made the decision to have a vendor source all three stones +setting versus try and piece mail (original plan with labs) so that they could give me realistic feedback on what was attainable within my budget. The OWD 1.71 M, besides the low color, was not even a ct size in consideration once I went back to earth-mined (due to budget) but I still wanted to explore if there was potential.

I will say that I think I have spent the better part of 8 months looking at retail prices of OMCs (although a good deal of the time was scouring lab vendors to see if they were producing) and unfortunately also learned along the way that they are priced at a higher set point than OECs. I think my main shortcoming is that I am not educated enough to pick out good quality OMCs since as you mentioned they don't follow a cut and dried formula like MRBs but I always knew I would bring the stone back to PS to have veterans weigh in before finalizing a purchase.

I didn't bookmark many earth-mined, although I've looked at hundreds (!) since it was only a recent decision to divert course, but I did think I could achieve a center stone at the $5-6K mark and then hope that the center and setting would not put me above budget. Possibly wishful thinking?

These are two posts I saved with transparent pricing that led me to believe that it might be possible if all the stars aligned. Both don't hit all the boxes for various reasons but pricing was within my range most likely due to low clarity?

Def not the faceting I'm looking for, but high color and the size I thought I might end up with:

Super cute puffy crown, was also an M. Was sold by the time I messaged Whitney:

The I1 that originated this post was something I happened to stumble on when looking at the second hand market to "research", I was still heavily committed to going the lab route when I found it. As you could easily see from that stone, I was willing to compromise quite a bit (understatement :D??) based on my budget but looking back now it was maybe a moment of weakness because I was becoming impatient and I also started making future plans for the rose cuts in my head :D

Anyway that was a super long post but basically I completely agree now with you and everyone else telling me to look at the stones in person. I really have to, especially when it comes to antique cuts. As for my budget I'm still holding on to hope I can get something within my parameters that will work for me. I also say this because I can genuinely say shopping is a hobby that I enjoy, something I spend way too much time on when researching comps+ pro/cons, and I believe in the research I've done up to this point. But yes the side stones will swing it one way or another...

EDIT: I don't know why when I first clicked the link of the ring you shared, it was not in English and only showed the first 3 pictures?? I can see it in English and all the photos now, and agree that it's not dark...just the first 3 happened to be!

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, I’m not THAT patient LOL. I’ve just had the actual antique inspo ring with a chunky OMC that I’ve wanted to reproduced in the back of my head (with many screenshots dated 2014 saved in my phone) as a “perhaps” or “someday” ring for the last 8 years lol. In 2014, I definitely had other financial priorities that came before a right hand ring and I was not where I am now professionally either. I started seriously thinking about actually getting it made at the end of 2021/beginning of 2022 and really started searching for a OMC to go as the center since then. I got Gisele in April of this year so it’s only been 4 months lol. I just meant that your “for fun” musings may stick with you and you may end up going for it even years from now!

Ahh makes so much more sense now! I was applauding you for storing her away for 8 years but I misread your post.

Yes, I can also muse on future projects "for fun" and live vicariously through others projects! It's also interesting to see how my taste change over the years!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Example - great clarity, color and cut, but not quite as big as you were hoping. Sides would still prob put you over budget or right at it, but its a very pretty OMC that might be closer to the style you like..vids would be telling

Thanks for the share! Closer to what I'm looking for but I don't love, from the first photo, how it's showing the strong dark pinwheel flashing off. Of course, videos of the stone in movement would have to confirm how it really looks. It've been trying to base my "comps" on stones that are loose as I'm not really sure how much a setting will contribute to the overall listed price. That being said, I know I won't have the luxury of finding "the one" if I only look at loose stones :)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
okay everyone, i did a thing. I HAVE THE 1.71 M. IT'S IN MY HOUSE. I HELD IT IN MY HAND! I'M LOOKING AT IT NOW!

I just didn't want to write it here yesterday because I didn't see the charge go through on my CC yet and didn't receive the tracking number and didn't want to risk the chance of it getting swiped. When I heard someone knock on my door though, I knew it was here.

I am working woman so I don't have time to do all the photos and shots that need to come with this post, so sorry for this cliffhanger. I'll likely do a new post in Rocky Talk to get some more feedback from other Ps-ers.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
-it's gorgeous, the faceting is a DREAM, i love it
-why did i get so spoiled by my halo?! is this the size increase from a 1.01 to a 1.7? possibly bottom heavy? oh man, i don't know if I'll be okay with less than 7mm after all.
-i saw white, then i put it next to my H and still saw mainly white, then took it out in spotlighting, white but okay i see some peach...took it out so very carefully for 2 minutes in the sunlight and shade... ok definitely peach is there, but lots of white and it's doing things in all lighting and throwing colors that I've never seen my radiant do. OMG this is the beauty of an antique cut. hahahha

Please wait for me while I compile my other post, it won't be soon.... but hopefully sooner than later!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll be waiting!!! Good for you for going for it and seeing it in person!!

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Waiting with bated breath!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don’t know what the outcome will be, but I’m SO glad that you get to see this stone irl!!!

And, of course, you need to post TONS of pics for us ;p

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Omg yaaaay I’m so glad you’re seeing it IRL and loving the descriptions of the peachy color so far!

Also adams bench is super affordable and will definitely keep you in budget with sides depending on the ratio you want - my guess

Last edited:

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Shady I would love to see a photo! Also this prompted me to look at your threads and now I’m very curious about that one stone that was removed from a setting in very bad shape. You were going to have Brian Gavin recut It - would love to know those results as well!
The broken stone was a .60, badly chipped in a deep fishtail setting, value to me is strictly sentimental. Finished weight .46. Want to use in a vintage looking pendant along with a couple of other small old family stones.

Attachments

• Chipped-059.jpg
    Chipped-059.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
  • recut-1.jpg
    recut-1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 11
  • di046.jpg
    di046.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The broken stone was a .60, badly chipped in a deep fishtail setting, value to me is strictly sentimental. Finished weight .46. Want to use in a vintage looking pendant along with a couple of other small old family stones.

Wow that is an amazing before and after! Thanks for sharing :)

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Shady I would love to see a photo! Also this prompted me to look at your threads and now I’m very curious about that one stone that was removed from a setting in very bad shape. You were going to have Brian Gavin recut It - would love to know those results as well!

This is the pawn shop stone, 2.12 VS-2 S-T

Attachments

• 2.12_VS-2_STe.jpg
    2.12_VS-2_STe.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Gloria-OEC.jpg
    Gloria-OEC.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 14
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results