shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC of my discounted dreams? Opinions needed!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I think you should definitely see more antique cuts irl if possible. My ering is an F color and I used to consider myself very color sensitive until discovering old cuts.

When I started looking last year, I didn't want to go below a GIA J/K/L. I had seen E, G, I, and J color old cuts and the colorless ones didn't throw as much rainbow fire imho. Once I expanded my search to M, I got lucky (the stone in my avatar is an M color). Recently, I have been able to see some larger GIA N and OP colors and I was actually fine with the face ups. It really doesn't hurt to look to train your eyes-and you never know what you may find!

RE: what Mary Jane said, I have had some luck with auctions. You have to factor in the Buyers Premium which is generally 25-30% mark up and sales tax.

I do have a lead on a 4 ctw OMC Three Stone which is a bit over your budget. I actually believe that it is a preowned Marielle...I think it is 35-40% off it's original price.

Thank you!

I feel so attached to this stone so the thought of waiting again and finding time to look at warmer stones seems discouraging to me! I actually need to make a decision by Friday which I thought was plenty of time but with all this helpful input I wish I had a bit more time! o_O. But you and everyone else is correct that I shouldn't rush the decision and make sure that I'm absolutely sure since this will like be my final upgrade.

I am VERY intrigued by you potential pre-owned Marielle find. 4ctw makes me think it may be TOO out of budget.... but I am definitely interested. Please let me know!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

I feel so attached to this stone so the thought of waiting again and finding time to look at warmer stones seems discouraging to me! I actually need to make a decision by Friday which I thought was plenty of time but with all this helpful input I wish I had a bit more time! o_O. But you and everyone else is correct that I shouldn't rush the decision and make sure that I'm absolutely sure since this will like be my final upgrade.

I am VERY intrigued by you potential pre-owned Marielle find. 4ctw makes me think it may be TOO out of budget.... but I am definitely interested. Please let me know!

I *think* this is the Marielle, but I could be wrong about the style.

This jeweler has a brick and mortar store as well as an IG account. I have never bought from them but they seem nice and flexible with buying options.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This jeweler has a brick and mortar store as well as an IG account. I have never bought from them but they seem nice and flexible with buying options.

I don't think it's the Marielle setting, but it does look like a Victor Barbone ring.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's the Marielle setting, but it does look like a Victor Barbone ring.

@junebug17 I think you are right. I just did some quick research and I think this is the Florian setting.

AL12

Shiny_Rock

Despite it not being the Marielle, this is a great find, thank you!

I actually did message the seller to see if still available for curiosity because as you said 1) price is very good for what is being offered and their site seemed to show some flexible financing plans which may have tempted me to stretch my budget+no need to find matching side stones and 2) their brick and mortar store is within driving distance from where I live.

But as @junebug17 mentioned the setting is not that of the Marielle and I would have had to consider cost of dismantling and re-setting (the type of setting I want is pretty specific and I don't aesthetically want to compromise on it) and I did see a lot of yellow and brown flashes but it COULD be due to it being bezeled so heavily on all sides in YG? Hard to determine but I decided to reach out regardless.

What to do, what to do. :confused::lol:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
So I agree with @lulu_ma that you probably should see more old cuts in person to really get a sense of the color, their wonkiness, their imperfections, etc. If their financing plan works for you and it’s still available, I think it’s worth driving down there to see it in person and to see some other old cuts that they may have just to see them. It looks like they have some old cuts (including a lab OEC). Once you see them, you may actually flip script and decide that you are OK with lower color but want eye clean.

Also, the 2 OMCs that you like from Alex are both very deep stones with high and/or chunky crowns lol So without actually realizing it, that may actually be your preference (as it is also mine!). The 3.09 ct has a depth % of 73.9 and Gisele has a depth % of 76. So despite the face up size, you may not like a spready stone in person.

Would you consider buying a 3 stone (doesn’t have to be this one necessarily) or even a solitaire for that matter and just wearing it as is until you save up some funds to reset it?

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Despite it not being the Marielle, this is a great find, thank you!

I actually did message the seller to see if still available for curiosity because as you said 1) price is very good for what is being offered and their site seemed to show some flexible financing plans which may have tempted me to stretch my budget+no need to find matching side stones and 2) their brick and mortar store is within driving distance from where I live.

But as @junebug17 mentioned the setting is not that of the Marielle and I would have had to consider cost of dismantling and re-setting (the type of setting I want is pretty specific and I don't aesthetically want to compromise on it) and I did see a lot of yellow and brown flashes but it COULD be due to it being bezeled so heavily on all sides in YG? Hard to determine but I decided to reach out regardless.

What to do, what to do. :confused::lol:

If she’s still available, go see her! I’m not a cut expert but I’m good at sniffing out deals :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AL12, I think it's worth taking a look! It's an exceptionally good price, especially for a Victor Barbone ring. What a great find @lulu_ma!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
So I agree with @lulu_ma that you probably should see more old cuts in person to really get a sense of the color, their wonkiness, their imperfections, etc. If their financing plan works for you and it’s still available, I think it’s worth driving down there to see it in person and to see some other old cuts that they may have just to see them. It looks like they have some old cuts (including a lab OEC). Once you see them, you may actually flip script and decide that you are OK with lower color but want eye clean.

Also, the 2 OMCs that you like from Alex are both very deep stones with high and/or chunky crowns lol So without actually realizing it, that may actually be your preference (as it is also mine!). The 3.09 ct has a depth % of 73.9 and Gisele has a depth % of 76. So despite the face up size, you may not like a spready stone in person.

Would you consider buying a 3 stone (doesn’t have to be this one necessarily) or even a solitaire for that matter and just wearing it as is until you save up some funds to reset it?

Yeah I do like chunky and high crown but i didn't know how technically they played into how the faceting looked face up (if that makes sense?) I just kind of know what I like but not too much of the numbers behind it! Thanks so much for pointing out that the two OMCs I like from Alex are deep, that's helpful for future!

If I went earth-mined I knew I would intentionally slow down my project a bit more to keep spreading out the funds to justify the final cost. So yes, I would be okay with solitaire until I could finally complete the trilogy. Truthfully the funds are there but I just feel uncomfortable spending such a huge chunk at once so spreading it out makes me feel better about it. I don't know how I would feel about sporting a three stone that I don't love even if I knew it wasn't the final product. I am so weirdly picky (I warned you all!) so I know it would bother me everytime I looked at it, I think more so than inclusions. HAH. I would probably prefer to not even wear a three stone I didn't like until it was finally completed in the way that I liked it.

@lulu_ma : I love good deals (which is why this thread even originated), let's be friends! HAHA! @junebug17 @LightBright I'll let you guys know if the ring is still available. I haven't heard back yet. I agree with everyone, it's an amazing price for what it includes and right at my cut-off of K color (which I *think* is my cut-off). I wouldn't have considered it otherwise---but wish it was a setting I liked more since it's not only above my budget but I would have to re-set it! So close! I do like the idea of going to see it in person and then looking at other old cuts in various colors....I wouldn't feel as if I were wasting the vendor's time since I do have genuine interest. I won't be able to go see it for another week or two (traveling) IF it is available and that means I'm definitely releasing this antique from hold....which makes me nervous that I might have regrets. But I suppose if after all this, if the antique is still available and I keep thinking about it, maybe it's meant to be.

Another side note, I wonder if Victor Barbone bezeled it because the stone was showing a lot of warm colors? I assume that the choice of setting that the vendor chooses for the stone is what they believe will make the stone look the best... so just throwing that thought out there.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@AL12 If you are seriously considering the three stone, I would call and see if they can hold it for you. I hesitated on posting it here bc there lurkers on PS that will snap things up...:???:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Alright, the ring has already been sold. Back to the drawing board!

Edit: She confirmed that it was a Victor Barbone re-sale and that it sold extremely quickly!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Edit: She confirmed that it was a Victor Barbone re-sale and that it sold extremely quickly!

Oh bummer!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

Darn it!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Just some more musings.

If really being serious about earth-mined, I think the stone elizat just released with JbG would be very realistic for me in terms of price point. It doesn't have 100% of the OMC look that I love but has enough OMC vibes (the kozibe!) to make me feel happy and the dimensions look great for a 1.4ct (in my non-expert opinion).

But since I know Alex is working on Giselle OMC MMDs, I feel more inclined to sit and wait (as I have been already) unless an another amazing deal came along.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can't go wrong with the 1.40 OMC-very pretty.

I dug this one up. Not sure if it's still available but it's a GIA J color

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Can't go wrong with the 1.40 OMC-very pretty.

I dug this one up. Not sure if it's still available but it's a GIA J color

Yes! I’ve been keeping an eye on this one too :) also local to me so considered looking at it person one day but I don’t love the faceting from the video alone. Thank you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I’ve been keeping an eye on this one too :) also local to me so considered looking at it person one day but I don’t love the faceting from the video alone. Thank you!

The shape and facet pattern (pinwheel) look similar to the center in the antique ring you originally posted. And this is a GIA J/SI1. You're lucky to be close to a diamond center. You can go look at both the JBG and JBW ones!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The shape and facet pattern (pinwheel) look similar to the center in the antique ring you originally posted. And this is a GIA J/SI1. You're lucky to be close to a diamond center. You can go look at both the JBG and JBW ones!

Yes, the faceting is not a no for me at all, but it also wasn't immediate love! I think I mispoke and what it might actually be is that the stone looks a tad too elongated/narrow for my preference versus pillowy (also very possible it could look more square when set??). But also realistic that at my budget I need to compromise somewhere which is why I have been keeping my eye on it. Either that or maybe I've just been enamored with the dimensions of my current stone :D

Yes I do feel lucky that I live close to quite a bit of vendors! Finding time is a bit tricky since this is a side project for me and other things often take priority with family. I usually won't visit unless I have a certain degree of certainty that I may purchase something.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@AL12 I found this comp for you purely for comparison purposes. I just want you to have a touchstone price for an old cut that is around 2 cts and I1 clarity. This one is more tinted than the one in the ring you posted, though

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi AL12! The diamond has a pretty cut, but there is something going on that you might want to assess in person, with a good return policy. It looks like it has fluorescence or clouds or graining so the stone looks cloudy or hazy or milky. I am not an expert, so I can’t tell exactly what’s going on. The stone is a mystery, it’s antique. But in addition to the dark crystal inclusions, I think the stone has something going on that affects transparency, perhaps it’s fluorescence? In any case, I’m starting to think that clarity problems are going to be obvious. I hope someone else here can give their opinion to validate what I think I see.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still like the cut a lot! The first photo (largest photo) seems to show a more transparent look, so I’m confused about what going on. I don’t want to steer you away, so I hope someone else can weigh in.

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Is this too rectangular for you? Is it too tinted?

I think you really understand what I like :D Haha because it is slightly more rectangular than what I would prefer but if I put it on its side (so it was wide) it definitely could potentially work.

I don't have strong feelings about the tint based on the video. I don't think my eye is really trained to see color... When I can't see the stone in person, I do depend heavily on grading and how vendors describe the whiteness of the stone.

I think the main question is... would I be able afford this stone? I'll keep an eye out to see what price point they put it as when it comes back from GIA :)

Also wondering if anyone would want to split these up with me (kidding... sort of :D)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

It is a gorgeous stone however always pick the best return policy and make sure you are happy with the clarity option the dealer is showing you and make sure it is Eye clean enough for you. Here is an Instagram account I found for you they have gorgeous stones https://instagram.com/crownjubileediamond?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks for your input! I look at this site a lot to stare at their OMCs and jubilees for fun but since their site is not transparent about pricing I don't go much further since I already assume anything I would want is out of budget :)

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@AL12 I found this comp for you purely for comparison purposes. I just want you to have a touchstone price for an old cut that is around 2 cts and I1 clarity. This one is more tinted than the one in the ring you posted, though

Thank you @lulu_ma ! I can definitely be mistaken but I always assumed OECs were a hair cheaper than OMCs since they seem (to me) to be more readily available.

But thanks for the comp, to me then it seems like the price of the antique I found seems to be right/a good deal since the color grade is much higher although an estimate. N sounds so scary to me, but as you advised I likely may need to see more in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results