shape
carat
color
clarity

J/K coloured diamonds

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm just beginning to search for a diamond for an engagement ring, and am looking to get the best bang for my buck in terms of carat weight. At this stage, I think I'd like to aim for a GIA / AGL graded RB around the 1.1-1.3 ct range, VS2 or higher clarity, ideal cut - and I'd love to push the colour out to a K if possible (or AGL number equiv). I've been into a few stores to look at diamonds, but have quite a limited range where I live - I've been able to see Js (which look white enough to meet my non colour sensitive standards!), but not Ks. I do realise that each diamond will be different, but any advice as to whether the jump from a near colourless J to a faint K is hugely noticeable? Will slight fluorescence perhaps help to bridge the gap a little?

Also, I'm looking to set it as a solitaire - will the metal colour have a large influence on the diamond appearance? I seem to read conflicting opinions.. I'm debating between platinum and rose gold (or rose gold with platinum prongs?), but would be open to yellow gold also.

And final newbie question.. I've run a series of searches focussing on GIA 3X diamonds, with Excellent HCA scores. I've noticed that I'm still getting some diamonds with specs outside of the "ideal" ranges that often get mentioned on these forums (e.g. one came up with a 61% table and a 33% crown angle - not the standard recommendations I've come across). I'm assuming that diamonds such as these cut the mustard because each of the angles / measurements as a whole "work together" to create a well cut diamond? In this instance there wasn't an idealscope image to refer to (I have requested one from the dealer our of interest), of course before considering a purchase I'd request one if there wasn't one available - is there anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
adele_h|1410443931|3748979 said:
Hi all,

I'm just beginning to search for a diamond for an engagement ring, and am looking to get the best bang for my buck in terms of carat weight. At this stage, I think I'd like to aim for a GIA / AGL graded RB around the 1.1-1.3 ct range, VS2 or higher clarity, ideal cut - and I'd love to push the colour out to a K if possible (or AGL number equiv). I've been into a few stores to look at diamonds, but have quite a limited range where I live - I've been able to see Js (which look white enough to meet my non colour sensitive standards!), but not Ks. I do realise that each diamond will be different, but any advice as to whether the jump from a near colourless J to a faint K is hugely noticeable? Will slight fluorescence perhaps help to bridge the gap a little?

Also, I'm looking to set it as a solitaire - will the metal colour have a large influence on the diamond appearance? I seem to read conflicting opinions.. I'm debating between platinum and rose gold (or rose gold with platinum prongs?), but would be open to yellow gold also.

And final newbie question.. I've run a series of searches focussing on GIA 3X diamonds, with Excellent HCA scores. I've noticed that I'm still getting some diamonds with specs outside of the "ideal" ranges that often get mentioned on these forums (e.g. one came up with a 61% table and a 33% crown angle - not the standard recommendations I've come across). I'm assuming that diamonds such as these cut the mustard because each of the angles / measurements as a whole "work together" to create a well cut diamond? In this instance there wasn't an idealscope image to refer to (I have requested one from the dealer our of interest), of course before considering a purchase I'd request one if there wasn't one available - is there anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Adele,
Seems like you are quite knowledgeable and have the right approach. J/K is the dividing line between the near-colorless and faint color. If you are not very color sensitive you may not notice much difference. Metal color will have an influence - white metal will not camouflage the body color of the diamond at all whereas yellow or rose provide a little "cover". Choosing an extremely well cut diamond will help the diamond look whiter from face up. It is the profile view that will be more likely to show color. You might consider going with 6 prongs instead of 4 to give additional cover from that view. Fluorescence can theoretically make the diamond look whiter in lighting high in UV. One of the concerns about fluorescence is overgrading at the labs. That is, the K with fluor might actually be an L. So when you have the stone in low-UV environments it will look darker yet. There are mixed opinions on this matter and some folks love the fluorescent effect and feel it is an advantage, particularly for lower colors.
Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a huge J/K fan, but I have a J for an everyday ring. I didn't get any opportunity to drop it into rose gold. But I did try the stone in yellow gold and rhodium plated white gold, and the stone "picked" yellow gold. It looked a bit sallow, but not yellower, in the white metal. And the yellow gold was just more flattering to the body tone of that particular diamond. Some of the warmer stones are a bit chameleon and I think the ideal situation is the see them dropped into mountings of various colors before making a decision. There is a "J in platinum" thread with some Ks in it.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/[/URL]

Neil on here has a 5-stone K. Yessie has a big J 5 stone in unplated white gold.

eta K threads, too:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-k-colored-diamonds.112476/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-k-colored-diamonds.112476/[/URL]

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The links are super helpful!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my 5 stone. Its a k

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ja-size-7-25-1-78tcw-graduated-5-stone-in-wg.190181/[/URL]

I am color sensitive in saying that I CAN see the difference, but I have a high tolerance, and I quite like the softer colors. They are chameleons. They aren't yellow. But its not an icy blue.

Gypsy always uses the comparison of paint chips. I like to use the comparison of paper. You know when you crap a notebook. The paper is white. But then you grab a piece of printer paper, and you're like "wow this notebook paper looks yellowy" on its own, it looked white, but my comparison they are clearly different.

Ks Aren't for everyone. But, I think they get a bad rap. They are, face up, every white. And if you like anything other than plat or rhodium plated white gold - I think they are an amazing option.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have a K EC and it looks great in most lighting. I notice the color the most in my car. I wear it next to a substantial G-H five stone band and it doesn't bring out the color. When I shopped for settings I did find that I noticed the color when it was placed in settings with sidestones or pave. I have it set in an 18k WG semi bezel solitaire. My theory on that setting is that with the white metal underneath the diamond it helps it reflect back whiter.

I also have an MRB five stone ring of .34ct I color diamonds. It looks very white and sparkly, and those diamonds don't have fluorescence.
My pendant stone is a .55ct I MRB with very strong blue fluorescence. That diamond looks just as white as my H zero fluorescence studs.

I think you should look for an I/J/K with medium to VSB fluorescence. It's super cool and can help a diamond look whiter. If I ever buy another diamond I'm going for exactly that.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Just a preference comment. I love J/K diamonds. They are my uber sweet spot. But if you set in RG it will play up the color pending the modifier and hue of the diamond. I have a J 1.19 OEC set in PLAT and it looks plenty white. however if I put it next to my rose gold pave setting with a PLAT head I think it looks more yellowy. So I would stick with PLAT or WG for your J/K if you go that direction.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much - I had done a K colour search, but clearly didn't look through very thoroughly - these are fabulous help!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
SB621|1410517150|3749591 said:
Just a preference comment. I love J/K diamonds. They are my uber sweet spot. But if you set in RG it will play up the color pending the modifier and hue of the diamond. I have a J 1.19 OEC set in PLAT and it looks plenty white. however if I put it next to my rose gold pave setting with a PLAT head I think it looks more yellowy. So I would stick with PLAT or WG for your J/K if you go that direction.

Ahhhh, this is really good to know. I was previously very keen on rose gold, but the more I think about it - the more I'm leaning towards platinum.

woofmama said:
I have a K EC and it looks great in most lighting. I notice the color the most in my car. I wear it next to a substantial G-H five stone band and it doesn't bring out the color. When I shopped for settings I did find that I noticed the color when it was placed in settings with sidestones or pave. I have it set in an 18k WG semi bezel solitaire. My theory on that setting is that with the white metal underneath the diamond it helps it reflect back whiter.

I also have an MRB five stone ring of .34ct I color diamonds. It looks very white and sparkly, and those diamonds don't have fluorescence.
My pendant stone is a .55ct I MRB with very strong blue fluorescence. That diamond looks just as white as my H zero fluorescence studs.

I think you should look for an I/J/K with medium to VSB fluorescence. It's super cool and can help a diamond look whiter. If I ever buy another diamond I'm going for exactly that.

This is promising too - I've heard ECs show a fair amount of colour, so in theory if an RB is a more forgiving cut.. it sounds good to me! I'm pretty sold on the solitaire, so I hadn't even considered the pave stones - excellent point, if I change my mind re: setting I'll be sure to keep the smaller stone colours in mind.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond can have an undertone in the body tint, like brown or pink, gray, green. That's why I said put it up against various metals and see what is most flattering. My J looks white with just a tad of creaminess in YG. But it looked sallow or a bit greenish, like a moissanite color, in white metals. It's in white gold prongs, and that's okay because the YG of the shank is the predominant color. White metal prongs are pretty neutral, because they blend into the diamond's brilliance well. YG or RG prongs would affect apparent diamond color more, as does the color of the shank.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am generally a high white fan and extremely color sensitive; these days I mostly wear either E/F or my favorite Fancies but I mostly wear my new designs. That said my original ering is a J/K, graded J but as per colorimeter J/K. When I got it I thought it was not that tinted, although it shows more tint in overcast weather for example. It is a smaller stone though about 58 points. When I see Js over one carat I definitely notice the tint very easily and right away. Some like it and some do not. I personally think they can look very nice in antique settings or inspired settings. Antique stones with older cut types are wonderful in the mid to lower color range. IMO modern ideal cuts look their best in the higher colors but going down to J can be fine, I just do not personally think that stones in the mid to lower color range match the type of the modern ideal cut so much. Nothing against any cut type as I love vintage cuts and I also love modern cuts, in a vintage cut or one inspired I would probably opt for a mid color range but not in a modern ideal RB. The cut type of the modern ideal can conceal a lot of color though so a J can still definitely work. The higher carat weight the more tinted your stone will be. On fluor I generally pass but there are exceptions, fluor can be unpredictable. It is also true that depending on what stone you pick and the hue of the tint should you pick the color of the setting. My J/K is set in white gold and it fits my stone but I am in general not a fan of yellow gold. Rose gold can work beautifully especially with brownish (and of course pinkish) tints. In my opinion, in plat the tint shows the most as plat is very grey in tone, unplated white gold often has a yellow tint to it depending on the alloy.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I have never owned a diamond higher than j color, having j-m color diamonds I have always thought they faced white but could see other colors such as one poster mentioned green and did not enjoy that but enjoyed many other colors the stones displayed. I have had them set in rose gold, white gold and platinum and noticed the green in rose gold. Good luck!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Forgot to say Pandabee your diamond is absolutely delish! Beautiful hands too.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the ongoing feedback..

I went to try on a few rings the other day, and of course no one stocked anything below a H! I'm really quite torn..

I agree with the above poster in saying that the j-m range really suit OECs, I have tried a few OECs in the past (was previously set on a antique ring, until I realised that they're better seen in person.. and in Aus with the price hike, finding one thats affordable is tricky!)

Meanwhile, I stumbled across an I coloured diamond ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/somewhat-urgent-opinions-on-a-diamond-needed.206057/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/somewhat-urgent-opinions-on-a-diamond-needed.206057/[/URL]) - perhaps a nice compromise in colour? Opinions welcomed!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
this is just my opinoin, and you know what they say about opinions, haha -- But personally, I think modern H&R RB superideal cuts look great all the way down to M. I place the cutoff at M. L and M are two of my favorite warmer colors, because they are definitely in the pale yellow range. J and K, I am less enthused about, because to me they are just off-whites, maybe even "dirty white" if they have some objectionable body tint in them. But L and M are like candlelight ivory is to white wedding gown, if that makes sense.

Here's a modern good or maybe very good M in a halo setting. You see the yellow of the M, and the contrast against the white diamonds in the mounting. But that look doesn't bother me. There are a lot of older rings from the '20s - maybe '50s that have a light yellow RB center paired with a very white mounting.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-22-ct-m-color-diamond-set-in-a-halo-many-pics.147387/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-22-ct-m-color-diamond-set-in-a-halo-many-pics.147387/[/URL] and then she changed it to a solitaire setting later. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-happy-solitaire-setting-for-my-1-22ct-m-stone-is-ready.185158/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-happy-solitaire-setting-for-my-1-22ct-m-stone-is-ready.185158/[/URL]

some of those older rings here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/m-color-diamond-good-okay.21941/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/m-color-diamond-good-okay.21941/[/URL]

I think once our get to N / P or lower, those colors are just strange for a modern H&A RB.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've owned and worn pretty much every color diamond out there. Right now I have a J/K color diamond. I value cut quality and size over other qualities. I say try to find the biggest J/K SI2 you can! It can be hard to find an SI2 without eye visible inclusions, but if you do, then its really worth it. My diamond is probably an SI2 in part because of a small black crystal near the girdle that is hidden under a prong. I have no clue its there, but it makes my diamond very affordable :naughty:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Adele, I also wanted more bang for my buck in terms of carat weight, so I went for a K. My diamond looks really white and I am totally happy with the color. If I were to get another diamond, I'd go for the K in a heartbeat.

img_5539.jpg

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I would agree that diamonds each have their own personality and the underlying body color can make a big difference. My L has more of a brown color than yellow so the color is less visible to my eye than if it were yellow. It also has strong blue fluorescence. I have had my stone in platinum, white gold and the current rose gold. My stone looks best in rose gold, in my opinion. It gives the most contrast between the stone and the surrounding metal which makes the stone pop and really stand out and enhance the look of brightness and whiteness.

I would really try to see the stone in each of the metal colors. I took the advice of many here initially and stuck to white metals as the typical mentality is that the stone will pick up the yellow or rosy tones from the metal if you choose yellow or rose gold. I found the opposite to be true for my stone. It just sort of blended into white metals and looked rather drab. The current rose gold setting is the least expensive setting I have tried, by far, and it really gives my stone the opportunity to shine and look it's best.

Good luck!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Try the colors against your skin, too. I love my bright white F color diamond on my pale winter skin. But if I end up with a summer suntan (which I try to avoid nowadays), I actually think that I'd prefer a J/K stone. F color + white metal doesn't look as flattering as YG or rose gold and a slightly tinted stone. My daily-wear ring is .8ct J in YG.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
OVincze|1410716269|3750886 said:
Forgot to say Pandabee your diamond is absolutely delish! Beautiful hands too.

aw thanks Ovi! ::)

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thanks again for all of the advice listed! And for those who have listed pictues.. They're all stunning! Anyone willing to share where their stones came from??

I've noticed a few people have mentioned tint / undertones of the diamond impacting on how it may appear in certain metals - this might be a silly question, but without seeing the diamond in person is there a way to establish what the tint of a diamond may be? Is it best to ask the vendor their opinion?

Thanks again :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results