shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst FASHION TREND you bought into??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was Dippety Doo some sort of hair setting goo?? It rings a bell
34.gif

Getting back to the eyebrows I shudder to look at old pics of myself with that drawn line - I look permanently surprised
23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I enjoy earworming the members of the PS community with seventies advert tunes
41.gif
I thought of another one while I was vaccuming.

For Charlie Perfume.

Kind of here kind of now ...CHARLIE!

Kind of young kind of WOW...CHARLIE!

Kind of fragrance that''s here to stay and it''s here now

CHARLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Starset

Shiny_Rock
Big ones for us were

Exclamation! (make a statement without saying a word)
Love's Baby Soft
Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth
Jean Nate
Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers
and then that triangle bottle of Liz Claiborne

we had Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers (Dr. Pepper)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, dippity Doo, was a hair setting goo, LOL LOL. I remember Charlie I used to wear that sometimes in the 1980''s. My all time favorite was Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve. Wish she never stopped producing that perfume I loved it.

Speaking of eyebrows. I once got tired of plucking the middle part once, and decided to shave it. The razor slipped and shaved part of my eyebrow off. This happened while I was in highschool. LOL LOL. Boy did I look funny for awhile.
14.gif

Linda

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes!
23.gif
When I was about 13 I was bored with my eyebrows so I took a pair of nail scissors and cut a chunk out of one end
32.gif
It never grew back the same way and I looked ridiculous for a while. The funniest thing was a girl at school had big bushy eyebrows and used hair removing cream on them! It was a mass of broken off stubble and bare patches, it looked terrible! Also it took forever to grow back, at least it stopped the rest of us from doing it
12.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL LOL, boy the stupid things we do when we are young. I have a neighbor down the street, who had her eyebrows tattooed on. I can''t really say I like the way it looks.
9.gif

Linda

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 4:59:10 PM
Author: Starset
In like 88 I got sent home from 8th grade because my jeans were too shredded. It started as a harmless worn hole in the knee that I pulled on until the split ran inside to outside of leg. Then I started fabricating other rips up and down the jeans.
When I was in the 9th grade, I got sent to the Principal''s Office for wearing spandex pants (bright red ones). What was I thinking?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Supertight jeans so skinny they had to have zippers on the ankles so you could get them over your heel. They were practically denim leggings. BODYSUITS.

Those stretch-mesh shirts you''d wear over other things. Granny shoes in fake suede. Suspenders worn in a Y in the front. Acid wash denim caps.

Sunglasses with neon pink and green and green frames. Those cone hair-clip things to make sure the ponytail sprouting from the VERY TOP OF YOUR HEAD was standing up properly. Sweaters with big blocky patterns on them.

*goes to rock in the corner, unable to finish*
23.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
some things I remember:

tucking in a T shirt into jeans and puffing it out.
Tight rolling jeans
t shirt clips or tying one side of the tshirt into a knot.
tying a button down shirt into a knot at the bottom, and then they made the pre-knotted ones.
exclamation perfume (still makes me gag, my friends would practically marinate themselves in this- ugh!)
Reebok high topped sneakers (with velcro on top) I had these in hot pink in third grade
bangs that went up like the Berlin Wall!
Poofy bangs- curl up on top, curl under on bottom, curl sides out, zap with hairspray
excessive helmet head hairspray looks
Guess and Esprit Jeans and United Colors of Benetton were the coolest clothes in the late 80's/early 90's, I refused to wear anything else. I always had to have the Guess jeans triangle on my butt.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This is just about the funniest thread...ever...and I''m embarrassed that I subscribed to so many of these trends
6.gif

cheers--Sharon

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 11:05:31 PM
Author: kaleigh
I''d have to say those awful stirrup pants. God they were bad.
20.gif
Hee hee, I bought into those too . . .

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 words for y'all:

Malibu Musk!!!

In that aqua/teal colored spray can??? Oh yes. I know you sprayed it liberally all over your pre-pubescent body too. :)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m proud to say I was just as much of a shlub back then as I am now. Jeans and t-shirts and ugly, comfortable shoes.

However, those old trends weren''t inherently any uglier than what people wear now. They just happen to be out of fashion at the moment. Give it a few decades, and the things you''re making fun of will be hot again, and the things you''re wearing now will cause your daughters and granddaughters to double over with laughter.

I particularly enjoy the hairdos of the early 19th century:

apolloknot.jpg

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 9:58:18 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 4/25/2006 10:37:47 AM
Author: Starset

Jean Nate
Aw, this is one of the scents I remember my Mother by.. I found it in WalMart one day when I was buying face wash.. I just had to open the Jean Nate bottle and smell it.. sweet. I was eight when she passed away from cancer so, its one of those happy memories I have of her. She also loved lilacs, which she grew into a hedge in our back yard, I remember the bouquets of them she had around our house and she loved using the original jergens hand lotion.

I''m just silly I guess.. but.. this was a nice jog for me.
1.gif

SDL, I totally understand. Smells just do it for me....like earlier today I smelled inside a jewelry box that my grandmother had sent home with my mom so my mom could go through and pick out some pearls to wear to my wedding, and I smelled my grandmother''s house smell, and instantly I was transported to happy childhood memories of Christmases, Easter egg hunts, etc. at my grandma''s house. :)

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 12:09:53 PM
Author: HOUMedGal
I have 2 words for y''all:

Malibu Musk!!!

In that aqua/teal colored spray can??? Oh yes. I know you sprayed it liberally all over your pre-pubescent body too. :)

OH.MY.GOSH. I have not thought of Malibu Musk since I last marinated myself in it in the summer of 1990!
3.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2006 11:12:25 PM
Author: PunchNPie75

Date: 5/25/2006 12:09:53 PM
Author: HOUMedGal
I have 2 words for y''all:

Malibu Musk!!!

OH.MY.GOSH. I have not thought of Malibu Musk since I last marinated myself in it in the summer of 1990!
3.gif

Hahahahaha, it actually took me about 10 minutes to dig deep in my memory banks to remember the name of it! hehehe! All I could remember at first was that teal colored spray can...LOL

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dippity Doo and spoolies (those weird curlers, right?) a DIPPITY DON''T for me...yuck...I had curly hair already, no thanks!

What about rhinestones on everything? I bought one of the setters and put them on anything that was not nailed down. I also put nailhead studs on things.

Another trend (I am 40) was dog collars as jewelry...black leather ones with studs on them...I was into heavy metal rock and this was a necessity at the clubs...so weird when I think about it now...BIG HAIR and major heavy kohl eyeliner winged out...

Irina, Do not laugh! I have Prada Espadrilles, the style is HUGE here now...I am ashamed to say I like them, but not tooooo high...

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Hey ladies...know what I saw at Marshall Field''s about a week ago?

They were in the men''s department, but still.

Tapered jeans. Acid-washed tapered jeans, that is.

32.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 2:52:28 PM
Author: Kaylyn

32.gif

HAIEEEEE!
23.gif

Say it isn''t so!!
39.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
this is a late addition and i haven''t read through this enormous thread, but

now that it''s summertime, i''m seeing them all over the place -- CLEAR BRA STRAPS --
6.gif

why is this a good idea? while the plastic strap (which can''t really be comfortable) is clear it is certainly NOT invisible.

i just don''t understand.

fortunately, after trying it one time, i have left it in the past.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Jellies
Bass Shoes
Baby Soft
Ankle zippered jeans
Poofy Bangs.. (bigger the better with lots of Aquanet
Lace gloves with no fingers.. (UGH!!!)
Leggings with no feet under lace skirts (OK.. I went through LAUPER/MADONNA PHASE)
COLORING on my sneakers.. UGH!!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OH YEAH!! Speaking of scents.. how about Javon Musk?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 5:24:30 PM
Author: Galateia

Date: 6/28/2006 2:52:28 PM
Author: Kaylyn

32.gif

HAIEEEEE!
23.gif

Say it isn''t so!!
39.gif
Oh, Lordy! I had a favorite pair of acid washed tapered jeans up until about 2000. I have no idea why cuz they didn''t fit anymore...they were a size ? and I have a JLo butt now after having babies...they haven''t been in fashion FOREVER. My younger daughter saw them and gasped! She told me there and then that those jeans were so passe and that NO ONE--especially me, her mom, should ever think of wearing them. She tossed them for me and I was weirdly relieved!

In fact, ANY tapered jean has been tossed from my wardrobe, thanks to my daughter!
emwink.gif

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
When I was in high school (about 10 yrs ago in NYC), the hottest thing were those super wide leg jeans by JNCO or Request. Guys wore them with oversized t-shirts and girls wore them with baby-tees. Our tops were so tiny and the bottoms so huge, it made our waist look miniscule. My mom always said that when a group of teens walked by, they swept the floor clean with their pants!

Here is a random photo I found on the web. It's such a shame I can't find pictures of myself wearing these ridiculous things.

011698d05002-vi.jpg

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 1:16:53 PM
Author: eleguin
When I was in high school (about 10 yrs ago in NYC), the hottest thing were those super wide leg jeans by JNCO or Request. Guys wore them with oversized t-shirts and girls wore them with baby-tees. Our tops were so tiny and the bottoms so huge, it made our waist look miniscule. My mom always said that when a group of teens walked by, they swept the floor clean with their pants!

I had a pair of those. I could fit a two liter of soda in the back pocket!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I saw in the Chicago Tribune last Sunday that Gap has zippered leg jeans in stock for fall........and leggings with the lace at the bottom are back too........

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2006 1:16:53 PM
Author: eleguin

Here is a random photo I found on the web. It''s such a shame I can''t find pictures of myself wearing these ridiculous things.

011698d05002-vi.jpg

I wore those!!!! Well, not that exact pair, but I had about three pairs just like them!

With something like this:

vans-vans-plat.jpg

I thought I was cool. Give me a break!
9.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ahem. Sheepishly, I have had a mullet, a dorothy hamill, a farrah fawcett hairdo. I actually liked the spiral perm "mall bangs" look of the lauper/ madonna era. I miss the spiky hairdos of the 80 like pat benatar. i liked the black egging, ballet flat, and oversized sweater/tunic outfits too. Ha!

Guess what I teach high school - It''s Baaa-aaack!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
How about the O ring ''bracelets''?

Lay off on the Gauchos, I wear them now, all the time!!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hah, Shags are back, though not quite so Mrs. Brady looking.

I''m getting mine done on Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results