shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst FASHION TREND you bought into??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, you guys are TOO funny! I remember that awful "Relax! Don''t do it!" song. GAWD.

I guess I lucked out in a way with hand-me-downs. My sister had just started working and bought a green, and a blue little tank top that just fit over the boobs, the bottom was elasticated so it was snug and you couldn''t see up it or anything, then a yellow mini skirt and a knitted pink vest with a deep V in the neckline. This was a great ensemble, you could see her coming a mile away because it was all in NEON colours. So after a few years it was handed down to me. So did not have the figure for it, first of all, then second, I was YEARS late wearing it!! Oh, but I thought I was such hot sh*t! Oh, and those plastic shoes, yikes!

Thank god I don''t follow fashion anymore, I''m a jeans and t-shirt girl now!

I wish you well,

Bridget

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2006 11:22:28 AM
Author: PunchNPie75

Date: 4/16/2006 10:57:18 AM
Author: Lorelei
''Long ankle length flower pattern skirts (sometimes with very matronly patterns)''

I still wear those if I want to be poetic and wistful
3.gif

LOL. I still love long flowy skirts with flower patterns, I think it was probably more the terrible patterns I was thinking of that were the trend i fell under back in the day :)
Ha! I have had some stinker flower patterned skirts in my day!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Heh heh...dating myself here, but here''s an illustration of two very bad hair mistakes I did long ago:

First...I think they called it a shag (???): Short layered hair with awful longer wispy fringe around the bottom...a la Florence Henderson in the Brady Bunch

Second...white bread Afro a la Victoria Principal in Earthquake..

I also remember hot pants . and for contrast: maxi-skirts. UGH!

widget

PS: For those interested, check out: www.badfads.com

fte01.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
OMG - The DREADED Shag! I was talking about my bad Shag laughing w/ friends Friday night. My friend from high school said he''d never seen me other than my present longish straightish/wavy hair. My permanent look goes back to the worst haircut ever - the Shag - in theory - cute. In reality, I resembled a poodle. It was for people with straight hair not curly hair.
39.gif
39.gif
Worst fashion faux paz EVER. Scared me for life. I''ve never cut my hair in any fashionable way since.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cracking up here with the Mrs Brady ( my heroine!) haircut! My very worst hair had to be my eighties mullet - short at the sides and top and long at the back like Duran Duran used to have their hair!
23.gif
It was also liberally backcombed and sprayed and I thought I was the bees knees with it......it makes me cringe to look at old pics and my toes curl
32.gif

Also dating myself even more here - who remembers The Wedge haircut from the seventies/ early eighties? My wedge haircut was my pride and joy, the trouble with it was that it was very hard to look cool while walking into lamposts etc with the long bangs swept over one eye
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 10:10:34 AM
Author: moremoremore
OK. I''m a tad horrified at how easy it was to find a pic online.
I guess they are still ok...if you are a COWBOY or COWGIRL! And a little girl from long island had no business wearing these monstrosities! But I sure looked fab with these and my Frankie Says Relax T-shirt! LOL
Hey now! Cowboys wear ones that hit the mid-calf...

I shudder to think that Jessica Simpson western wannabe is bringing the stuff back.
14.gif

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
I had a very stylish (ha!) look going on in the mid 90''s that involved bodysuits (the kind that snap at your crotch), tapestry-patterned vests, and victorian-style ankle boots.

In the 80s... no one did the side ponytail better than myself. Really. It was a thing of beauty/horror. (I had really really long slightly wavy very thick blonde hair.)

Ugh.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOLOL....

The one trend I remember fondly was the RIBBON BARRETT!!! You made them yourself and had the ribbon hang down...I had long hair and did a nice middle or side part with a ribbon barrett on each side LOL...

widget

Ideal_Rock
OT:

Moremoremore, EVERY TIME I see your avatar I crack up! It''s SO FUNNY!!

Thanks for the chuckles!
9.gif

widget

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe. Thanks! I steal them from other sites! that looks like my scotty and cracks me up as well...
1.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 2:42:44 PM
Author: AntiguaBride
I had a very stylish (ha!) look going on in the mid 90''s that involved bodysuits (the kind that snap at your crotch), tapestry-patterned vests, and victorian-style ankle boots.

In the 80s... no one did the side ponytail better than myself. Really. It was a thing of beauty/horror. (I had really really long slightly wavy very thick blonde hair.)

Ugh.

HOW could I have forgotten the snap at the crotch body suits! I had like 10...heehee

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 2:08:36 PM
Cracking up here with the Mrs Brady ( my heroine!) haircut! My very worst hair had to be my eighties mullet - short at the sides and top and long at the back like Duran Duran used to have their hair!
23.gif
It was also liberally backcombed and sprayed and I thought I was the bees knees with it......it makes me cringe to look at old pics and my toes curl
32.gif

Also dating myself even more here - who remembers The Wedge haircut from the seventies/ early eighties? My wedge haircut was my pride and joy, the trouble with it was that it was very hard to look cool while walking into lamposts etc with the long bangs swept over one eye
2.gif

That 80''s mullet was EVERYWHERE. One person, Jessica Lange, actually looked good in it and that was IT. But EVERYONE and their sister had it. I am happy to say I never did that. But I did do the shag. I still remember the day I went to get me long, straight hair cut into a shag....about 30... ahem, years ago.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG The snap at crotch unitards....hideous!!!

i had one that was like a dark teal green blue and it was RIBBED vertically, so nasty. i would wear it with acid washed jeans! hahahaa.

saturn

Shiny_Rock
Ugh. The bodysuits - boy was I guilty of that.

All the stuff mentioned here is hilarious. One thing I regret was the whole giant flannel shirt "I look like a hobo" look that was really popular in the early-mid 90''s. I also "tightrolled" my jeans (where you would fold them so that they were even tighter at the ankle and then roll them up so they hit right at the top of your slouch socks).

But there are also the trends that I remember somewhat fondly. Like when I saw that leggings were back, I totally ran right out to buy some because that is a trend I kind of liked. I also wouldn''t mind if crimped hair made a comeback....
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, sad but true, I too had the ribbon barrettes (mom couldn''t make them fast enough for us!) and the ankle length flowing flower skirts...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol the ribbon barrettes!! did you guys make your own too? it was ALL THE RAGE. 1/4" satin ribbon rocks!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I had ribbon barretts which eventually segued into candle filled plastic bows (which made me a total BOW HEAD complete with saved by the bell bangs).

I had DJ Tanner feathered bangs.
I wore Skorts- the kind of short billowy skirt with tight biker shorts underneath that were connected.
JELLIES
A had several pairs of Jams that I always wore with my spuds McKenzie t-shirt that was covered in buttons.
Tight rolled up jean shorts.
Multi colored layered socks.
I had a hypercolor swimsuit and a swimsuit with a hole in the tummy and back that tied at the sides.
Ummmm...I suspenders- red ones- they were fabulous!!
I had HUGE obnoxious dangley earrings.
Ooooooo- and I had a charm sweater. It had hoops all over it and you would clip these tacky plastic charms to it.

I will try to find a picture of my DJ Tanner Hair.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 3:07:10 PM
Author: Mara
OMG The snap at crotch unitards....hideous!!!

UGH. I''ll cop to those. Luckily I was thinner then. They didn''t hide much did they?

THOUGH I WILL SAY ... some of these "starlet chicks" today might not be Basic Instinct style cootchie flashing the paparazzi every two seconds getting in & out of cars if those CROTCH SNAPS came back.
11.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I meant to say CANDY filled plastic bows. I had some with sweet tarts, candy corn, jelly beans, bubble gum, etc...

I also had a crimper with a wave crimper attachment. It was FABULOUS!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2006 11:43:20 PM
Author: sunkist
Haha! Pom Pom socks, I remember those
3.gif

And did anyone else do the Punky Bruster sock fashion - example - blue sock layered over red sock on the left foot, and the opposite (red on blue) on the right foot!
41.gif
HI:

How ''bout those multicolored i"toe" socks? Gawd, can''t believe I wore them......
14.gif

cheers--Sharon

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Wearing socks OVER the jeans.
41.gif

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
Remember Cher in Clueless?? I used to wear plaid skirts and thigh high socks like her in high school.
32.gif

Someone mentioned "hobo looking" flannel shirts, i found one in my attic in sixth grade (may have been left over from the people who lived in the house before me) and I wore it to school like twice a week.

OH! and high heeled sneakers, I was a big fan in middle school, ewwww!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
The absolute worst thing I ever owned and I CANNOT BELIEVE MY MOTHER LET ME WEAR THIS!!!
It was a teal green crushed velvet mini dress with long sleeves (shorter than God knows what) with the built in bra look. SO HOOKER I swear! I was TWELVE! I had no boobs to fill in my built in bra! It was my cotillion dress! What was I thinking and what was my mother thinking!

I had dyeable satin teal heals to match! BLAH!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Do you remember when bleached jeans were cool.
My mom used to get so pissed off at me cause I would put my jeans in the washer with 2-3 cups of bleach and they would come out with "cool" white spots all over them. WHAT?

Side ponytail- Check!
Blue Eyeshadow- Check!
jeans with PLEATED FRONT- Check!
Off the shoulder top- Check!

Does anyone remember the name of the makeup jewelry. You could snap on your lipgloss or eyeshadow and wear it on your bracelet or necklace??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ageing myself again but who remembers Lip Potion??? The roll on " gloss"/ goo in various flavours such as strawberry and mint? It was so thick it used to drip off my chops
23.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
LIP POTION!
I completely forgot about that stuff! My friends and I loved it, but basically all we did was lick it right off! Ha!!!It was meant to impress the boys...well to attempt at impressing the boys.
emlips.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 3:39:35 PM
Author: jorman
LIP POTION!
I completely forgot about that stuff! My friends and I loved it, but basically all we did was lick it right off! Ha!!!It was meant to impress the boys...well to attempt at impressing the boys.
emlips.gif
I could not keep that stuff on for love nor money, it was so irritating on my lips I HAD to lick it off! Almost as difficult as trying to eat a sugared doughnut when challenged not to lick your lips! But when I was ready to go out with my gooey lips and stinking of Cachet or Charlie perfume, or Windsong or Aviance I was one cool diva!
14.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who remembers Kiku and Xanadu fragrance by Faberge? One in a yellow can and one in purple? It was like Brut for ladies!
41.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 9:40:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 4/13/2006 11:43:20 PM
Author: sunkist
Haha! Pom Pom socks, I remember those
3.gif

And did anyone else do the Punky Bruster sock fashion - example - blue sock layered over red sock on the left foot, and the opposite (red on blue) on the right foot!
41.gif
HI:

How ''bout those multicolored i''toe'' socks? Gawd, can''t believe I wore them......
14.gif

cheers--Sharon
Hey...in November of 2005, I saw these in a store--Target, I think...amazing that you can still buy them, huh?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 3:44:55 PM

Date: 4/18/2006 3:39:35 PM
Author: jorman
LIP POTION!
emlips.gif
I could not keep that stuff on for love nor money, it was so irritating on my lips I HAD to lick it off! Almost as difficult as trying to eat a sugared doughnut when challenged not to lick your lips! But when I was ready to go out with my gooey lips and stinking of Cachet or Charlie perfume, or Windsong or Aviance I was one cool diva!
14.gif
OOOh...I remember Charlie perfume! I LOVED that and wore it all through highschool...I also wore Windsong, but didn''t everyone?

I remember a girl who, well, "dated" alot--ahem--wore Taboo. You could smell her coming and for quite awhile after she left it was so strong on her...I swear she was marinated in that perfume...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results