shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst FASHION TREND you bought into??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just remembered some HORRIBLE stacked heel clogs that looked like Cowboy Boots in the front. And a certain tiny black leather miniskirt I wore with oversized Boy sweaters ... and giant clip on hoop earrings with wooden things dangling from them. And a long 3/4 length denim jacket that looked like a regular denim jacket, just stretched way, way down to butt covering depths.

Just last year at a hip hop dance class I almost fell victim to "Flashdancing" some old t-shirts.

Anybody? Fess up, ladies. Yearbooks don't lie.

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Huk-a-poo shirts.
For those of you old enough to know what they are, enough said...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have to say those awful stirrup pants. God they were bad.
20.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have 20 minutes?

stirrup pants
men''s rugby shirts
jellies
safety pinned jeans
scrunchies matching earrings matching socks
banana clipped hair with the aqua net bangs
jellies!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 11:05:31 PM
Author: kaleigh
I''d have to say those awful stirrup pants. God they were bad.
20.gif

Almost FORGOT about those!!! What were we THINKING??

I know I also had a lot of Talbots flowerey dresses, which I thought were a thing of the past until I was at a family funeral this weekend. Oh they''re still out there! In DROVES.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh!

ACID WASHED JEANS.
32.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 11:07:50 PM
Author: Mara
do you have 20 minutes?
stirrup pants (CHECK)
men''s rugby shirts (CHECK)
jellies (CHECK)
safety pinned jeans (umm NOPE - but I did pin kilts)
scrunchies matching earrings matching socks (CHECK .. i knew a girl who matched socks to NAILPOLISH)
banana clipped hair with the aqua net bangs (DOUBLE CHECK ... and I''ll raise you one frizzy PERM too)

These are GOOD ones! Thought of one more: NEON colors (so flattering on an uber-pale face like mine too)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, don''t get me started!

My mom won a couple thousand on a lottery ticket once when I was in Jr. high school...she ran right out to Express (after buying new tires for her car, bless her heart) and bought me big oversized t shirts, a floral babydoll dress, some spanx-looking tights, and Sam & Libby ballet flats in hot pink. I thought it was the sh*t. Now I see Nordstrom''s had the babydoll/legging look on their homepage last week.

jellies--I was a big fan in 2nd grade. Now I can''t imagine anyone wearing plastic shoes past the age of 4!

the wooden "clog" style deco brought up I didn''t do--for some reason I didn''t like them.

When I was taking dance lessons in middle school, I had puple leotards, legwarmers, and a "flashdance-esque" off-the-shoulder purple top that went with it all, not to mention a matching terry headband I wore under my mall bangs!

Anyone remember the trend of wearing a huge, oversized tee shirt with one of those plastic circle things to "knot" it at the hip? Banana Clips? (I couldn''t get all my hair to stay in the banana clip, so my mom used to fix half my hair in the banana clip, and the other half down.)

I did have one pair of beige stirrup pants that I purchased on a trip to the mall with my dad (he was clueless). If my mother had been there she''d have veto''d them right away--I was 12 when my hips developed, and stetchy stirrup pants were not a good look for those of us who have "hips!"

Wow, this thread is like a time-machine. I am remembering all sorts of things about the eighties!

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade (and in Catholic school) I loved Madonna! When her "Like a Virgin" album came out, I had fluorescent pink lace "gloves" with the fingers cut out--I thought I was SO cool, but couldn''t wear them unless I was playing at home!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
rolled down socks
pants tucked into your socks
pulling the bottom of your t-shirt to the side and tying it in a scruchie
suspenders!
layered socks, with different colors (man! socks used to be a big thing!)
stirup pants paired with baggy shirts
flannel shirts

26.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
SOCKS!!! SOCKS!!! Let''s bring back socks! Frilly lace ankle socks worn with heels ... those clunky fat rolled down ankle donuts ... naughty schoolgirl thigh highs ... ARGYLE ... MOHAIR ... pom pom Tennis Footies.

It''d be a SOCK REVOLUTION! (then we''d sit back, wiggle our bare toes & giggle)
31.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Pom Pom socks, I remember those
3.gif

And did anyone else do the Punky Bruster sock fashion - example - blue sock layered over red sock on the left foot, and the opposite (red on blue) on the right foot!
41.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Shoulder pads in jackets! Ugh...I look at those pictures and I resemble a football player...
emsad.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...remember the hair that wasn''t going anywhere cuz of all the hairspray on it and the hair was out to h--e--r--e in volume?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 11:52:50 PM
Author: DeannaBana
Shoulder pads in jackets! Ugh...I look at those pictures and I resemble a football player...
emsad.gif

OOh oooh. That reminded me: COLOR-BLOCKING ... on jackets, sweaters, coats. Arsenio Hall style.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
High waisted jeans...my husband said that so many girls got nuts on those and not everyone could wear them...honestly, do they look good on anyone? The same way that too low of rise of jeans is just plain nasty and not aesthically a nice visual, I didn''t really like those highwaisted jeans...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 11:59:31 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 4/13/2006 11:52:50 PM
Author: DeannaBana
emsad.gif

OOh oooh. That reminded me: COLOR-BLOCKING ... on jackets, sweaters, coats. Arsenio Hall style.
This reminded me that on some cable channel I think the Fresh Prince of Bel air is on and you can still see those colorblocking styles...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All these are great. I was wondering, what was big in the 90''s?? I was knee deep in diapers. I know the stirrup pants were in big. What else?? Seems like a fog to me?? Not hijacking deco, just curious what other fashion disasters I am forgetting about in the 90''s??
34.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I was so busy raising kids and giving birth that I definitely was out of the loop fashion wise in the 90''s...
emcrook.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 90''s were the "decade of the black pants" if I recall correctly. Some suspender/high-waisted action early on ... then more trouser/cuff styles. Other trends: Kate Spade bags ... PRADA really took off ... denim suspenders ... sweater sets ... big pearl studs ... tiffany heart bracelets ... patent leather mary janes ... ribbed turtleneck sweaters (which I still wear, Mary Tyler Moore lives on in me) ... clunky Doc Marten shoes ... black Armani-esque suits ... BIG men''s watches on women (TAG/Rolex etc)

That''s all I remember for now!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah...overalls in denim, twill, garbardine...I had like 4 pair in denim and I looked fat in all of them, at least 15 to 20 lbs heavier and no one said a word to me? Argh! Also, for me, the 90''s was when I juggled kids, groceries and doing image consulting or doing women''s "colors or seasons"...remember? I made a healthy contribution to our family''s income back then in between having babies, nursing, etc. When you are pregnant, dong "brown bagger" seminars at law offices for image consulting and personal shopping was right up my alley. I did this off and on, once or twice a month, until my last child was born in 1996.

Ah yes...those 90''s...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was in college in the early 90''s. It was oversized college sweatshirts and jeans with running shoes in the midwest. Homecoming''s were fitted above the knee dresses, no hose and open toe high heals or dressy sandals and I think every girl wore black. This is when I really started getting into J. crew. We would sit in the dorms looking through the catalogue''s all the time. J.crew sweaters in solid colored earth tones, and jeans where also popular.

Junior high:

oh and i so remember the safety pinned jeans.
Guess Jeans were also in and you had to show off the triangle label
20.gif

Esprit
treetorn tennis shoes
K-swiss

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I would have to say the acid washed jeans and the neon colored t-shirts, but this was in the 80''s and I was only 13 or something.
I am usually not a trendy person, but I do like certain things that are trendy simply because I like the fit. Like my jeans, I like them because I actually look like I have a waist and a butt, so regardless if they were trendy or not, I would still buy them.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 10:25:58 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Guess Jeans were also in and you had to show off the triangle label
20.gif

Esprit
treetorn tennis shoes
K-swiss

don't forget gitano (sp?), z-caverichi (sp?) tommy hilfiger was big too. and eastland leather boots.

for me, the beginning of middle school consisted of floral leg tights/pants with big, long hanging solid color matching tee. hair was spiral-curled with stiff mouse. luckily i didn't do the bands.

remember hyper-colored tees?
mc hammer pants?
TIGHT-ROLLED jeans--- I think these were the worst!! worn with white keds.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Hoo boy! I''d have to say that the worst of the worst of my many fashion infractions was the Doc Martens! The whole Nirvana/Green Day "grunge" thing hit my junior high school pretty hard! I had the standard black Docs and decorated them with metallic purple and silver glitter nailpolish!
emembarrassed.gif
3.gif

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
jcrow- did you ever have the hypercolor shorts? Where your butt would change color when you sat down? Hee!
9.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
leg warmers. the kind with horizontal stripes. I remember I had some that were black and white 2" horizontal stripes. I wore them with black pants, white shirt and a black vest. I think I was imitating a zebra.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG doc martens, i remember the kids had those in high school!!!!

white keds!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Who crimped their hair?!? We even had a tool that made triangle spirals, if you can imagine that !
31.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hey - the perfect black slacks will always be in style.

O.K. - I fess up - stirrup pants on my legs - but you have to admit - they were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO comfortable. It''s like you were wearing jammies!

I''ve never been real fashion extreme - but I remember this HORRIBLE skirt. It was part Cindy Lauper/ part madonna/ part peasant person in Albemarle! It makes me nauseous thinking about it. And, it was one of those skirts that were tight until just the bottom of your butt - then poofy all the way around. This particluar skirt keep getting stuck UP - thus exposing part of my butt.
39.gif
39.gif
Honestly, what WAS I thinking? Worse - I wore it to a summer Pop''s concert.

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
This is a fun thread! How about wrap-around pants, and those platform shoes which laced up the leg? Looked great with my Farrah Fawcett hair-do!!
32.gif
6.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results