carat
color
clarity

The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline thread

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: The Show your Paraiba or Copper bearing tourmaline threa

...also was able to go to a rock and gem show thanks to touring around with above mentioned guests, and found this 7x5 paraiba:

It's a clear, lighter blue green. Not neon but very pretty nonetheless...and it was only $40! 8) The show was in this tiny, middle of nowhere desert town, and the guy said he had bought someone else's collection for next to nothing, and was passing on the low prices. I was shocked! I love meeting all the wacky old miners at some of these shows, they are something else :D Also picked up some turquoise, but thats for another thread.

img_11034.jpg

img_11035.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I love your new set DesertRose, is the marquise fan pendant attached to the gem bead chain or are they two separate chains?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Desertrose!!! Your new goodies from Yvonne are amazing :love:
I love her unique style and the colourscheme is fabulous. I especially love your dangling earrings with blue and green Paraibas as well as the fan pendant. Great choices!!

Your new stone looks fabulous too with the pastel green colour. And so affordable :appl:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Love this thread! Hate being a downer desertrose but how can you be sure your new Paraiba is indeed a Paraiba?

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thanks Acinom and Lovinggems! The beaded chain is a separate necklace, the marquis paraiba is on it's own chain. Beaded necklace is about 20", marquis is 16", so I was planning to wear them layered. The whole set is meant to be interchangeable and I hope to get more pieces, maybe some larger stones eventually!

No problem asking, theredspinel! I was thinking the same thing. At the last few gemshows around here, there has been a gemologist on hand who offers free services - his name is Len Rummel. His biz card says Camelsmith Gems. I think he's an old school Bangkok trained gemologist. Anyway, he looked at this one briefly and seemed to think it was accurate, but I might ask him at the next show to look a bit more carefully. I guess the origin would not be detectable though, just the chemical makeup. I bought another stone from the same guy, and left that one with Len. Didn't get a photo of it, but it was a very pretty dichrotic pink, well cut, large stone. He spent some time with it and had to run more tests, thought it could be a tourmaline or a sapphire - or, on the downside, a synthetic sapphire. I'll see him again this weekend and get more info on that stone and this "paraiba".

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Lovedogs, I feel like total jerk for not selling that stone to you first - I'm so sorry! Yvonne was asking for decisions on our projects and loose stones, and without thinking clearly I just said to return the pear to pay for another project...I had no idea it would list and sell so quickly (like within hours). I thought I would have time to post here later in the day and let you and everyone know to keep a heads up... :doh:

She did say she was going to see that vendor next week, and might be getting more paraiba - I told her I wanted to find a larger one like elle's 1ct. That little pear had great color, but was super tiny, and would barely be set-able in her smallest ring setting. Anyway, I hope you don't hold it against me! :oops:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm loving all of your new jewelry desertrose. :love:
The colors all just flow together. I hope you post more pics, when you get them in. Especially the necklaces...I'd like to see how those layer together. :D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh :appl: I love the idea of layering the necklaces. What a great idea. I like!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Desertrose|1457877974|4004436 said:
Lovedogs, I feel like total jerk for not selling that stone to you first - I'm so sorry! Yvonne was asking for decisions on our projects and loose stones, and without thinking clearly I just said to return the pear to pay for another project...I had no idea it would list and sell so quickly (like within hours). I thought I would have time to post here later in the day and let you and everyone know to keep a heads up... :doh:

She did say she was going to see that vendor next week, and might be getting more paraiba - I told her I wanted to find a larger one like elle's 1ct. That little pear had great color, but was super tiny, and would barely be set-able in her smallest ring setting. Anyway, I hope you don't hold it against me! :oops:

No problem at all! I completely understand--thanks for thinking of me though, that's very sweet! EDIT: just went back to the last page of this thread and saw your pieces---they turned out so well! Congrats, I hope you love them!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Hey, sorry for being gone from this thread for awhile! Busy!

Followup to Yvonne Raley pieces:
I did get them all, and they are so pretty. The quality and worksmanship are top notch. They are, however, a bit more delicate and petite than I was expecting...guess that's what you get when working with 2-3mm stones! Just something I am now more aware of. So going forward I think I'll be focusing on larger stones...to that end, here is a recent purchase from a local gem show:

Afghan Tourmaline, cut by local precision cutter, 5.91cts, 13x8mm:

I'm thinking a very simple large prong setting...but what other options are out there? It's about 6.5-7mm deep, so pretty deep.

img_11206.jpg

img_11207.jpg

img_11208.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

For comparison, here are my three recent tourmalines:

Larger oval - Pakistan, 3.29ct, 8x10
Smaller oval - (confirmed as much as can be by gemologist) Paraiba, .65ct, 7x5
Large emerald cut - Afganistan, 5.91ct, 13x8

The cut and quality of the larger oval are not great, that one may eventually find another home...the paraiba is pretty unsaturated, but has sparkliness going for it, and a sort of angelic lightness and clarity...the large emerald cut has silky sheen that gives it an almost metallic luster at times. It is the most blue, more blue than green I would say...the two ovals are more green than blue.

img_11209.jpg

img_11210.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, desertrose!!!! I am in love w the emerald cut!! But all three are gorgeous! Nice finds...I'm inspired to find a local gem show now :):) can't wait to see how you set them :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

laughing that Acinom has my project here (how did you get the drawing to show so clearly? I can only view the original on my phone but this one shows up fine on my PC)

Desertrose - that is a killer tourmaline. My first love is green-blue or blue-green stones. How do you plan to set it? I've had a pink tourmaline that size sitting around for a long time waiting for inspiration. Although I had long admired Yvonne's pieces, they were too dainty for me too. I have large size 8 fingers and lots of hair that I seldom wear up. So small pieces just get lost on me. But I love Yvonne's eye for color combinations and adore working with her, so since then we've managed to put together some custom pieces that maintain her look but have a larger presence...some with smaller stones since I have champagne tastes and a $ threshold on what I can justify spending on a single piece.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Thanks Lovedogs! I am finding that the best deals are to be found in person, at these local gem shows...I am finding stones for 25-50% of what they would be online!

Lilmosun - I LOVE the design you are doing with Yvonne! It should be large enough for lots of presence, yet still have that delicate vintage look that she has.

I have no idea how to set the large emerald cut tourmaline, any suggestions? All I can think of is just a basic prong setting...I have smaller fingers, my ring fingers are 4.5-4.75, so I wouldn't have room for much in the way of side stones...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you...admittedly, I am still having a hard time envisioning the end result but Yvonne feels confident it will work.

I wish I had your tiny fingers!! Is your mind set on a ring? I've thought about it for mine but leaning towards a pendant. I don't have many stones that would make a nice size pendant and the larger the stone, the more nervous I get about wearing it on my hand. :wall:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Yes, I'm thinking about a pendant option too...the only thing is that then, unless it has a long chain, you don't get to see the stone yourself!

I would trust in that ring design - it looks spectacular! Can't wait to see it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lilmosun: I zoomed in on your drawing with my iPhone and made the contrast stronger 8-)

Desertrose!!! Your stones are all amazing. I love your newest addition :love:
It will be gorgeous in a ring as well as a pendant. Personally I love rings as you can admire the stone and setting all day.
I have set my large elongated tourmaline in a ring and love the result. It's not an everyday ring for me though; I am very careful with it.
Looking forward to hear what you decide.

_2615.jpeg

_2617.jpeg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Hi Acinom - your ring is exactly what I was thinking for this one! I'm thinking yellow or rose gold. Maybe some diamond sidestones or under the gallery? Not sure if they would be overshadowed there...thanks for the pics that really helps! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your stone will look amazing in warm gold desertrose :love:
You could have an 'art deco element' added with diamond melee for visual interest as well as horizontal finger coverage. Like in this ring:

_2618.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Everyone's stones are gorgeous. DesertRose your rectangular tourmaline is beautiful and Acinom's ring is one of my favourite.

My dainty lotus marquise ring from Yvonne is almost done and I can't wait to see it in person.

Acinom I am in the middle of a decision regarding a paraiba cab, the price per carat is a bit higher than the cabs currently on paraiba international, but seems to look nicer as well. How did you choose yours sight unseen? What sort of questions did you ask the vendor? It's a bit difficult to judge glow by photos, especially with a difference in colour between my iPad and phone...umm I think I'll try the laptop as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovinggems: I am looking forward to see your Yvonne ring :appl:
Thank you for your kind words about my Tourmaline ring.

How excited that you are in the middle of a decision making process on a Paraiba cab! Looking back I must have been a bit crazy to go ahead without seeing the stone in person. But I really trust Adam from Paraiba International.
The vendor pic looked quite 'average' (well: ugly, to be honest), while the video showed a very bright and glowy stone. Adam informed me that the truth was in the middle and was so kind to send me some handpics. The pics that David Klass provided were quite similar to the ones Adam provided. I was soo surprised to learn that the stone looked different in person. I could not believe the beautiful glow!!!

Could your vendor provide additional (hand)pics in different lighting conditions? These are expensive stone so it's good to thread carefully (but please ask the vendor to hold the stone for you while you make up your mind. Does the vendor have a good return policy? In that case you could have the stone sent to you first.

Happy thinking :wavey:

_2619.jpeg

_2621.jpeg

_2623.jpeg

_2624.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Hi Acinom thank you for your write up. I will be getting a video in a few days time. I was thinking of sending it straight to DK but if I want I could view it first and there's a return period, just being overseas make it a bit difficult.
Here is a couple of photos, the saturation is pretty different depending if I am viewing it on my phone or iPad or laptop. Same photos. Could you describe what you see to me? I'm thinking if I do get it it's best if I see it in person first. I want one with a glow like yours :cheeky: .

_2625.jpeg

_2626.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

This is what I see on the phone, I think my phone setting must be a bit off, looks too saturated.

_2627.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooooh! On my iPhone the stone looks unreal in a good way!
A 'fake' swimmingpool-blue. Very bright and lively :love: I would describe it as a bright turquoise blue, without the green. I love the version you see on your phone as well but it looks different indeed. It is photographed in a different setting though, so perhaps the stone is having a glowy moment. How does the vendor describe the stone?
It's great that you will get a video in a few days.

It will be great to see the stone in person. These stones are hard to photograph and look different in different lighting. And since you stated that the pricing is higher than the ones currently listed at Paraiba International.
I cannot get myself to have stones send so many miles from the US to Europe and then back again, although I know I should...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Acinom thanks for the description!
The vendor described the stone as very neon and glowy and quite strong coloured indoor light. I can't wait to see the video too.
Actually the phone pic is the same one as the photos above, for some reason my phone adds this glow to the stone. The paraiba international cabs for some reason I can't see a glow. Edit I see some glow in the marquise now on my phone.
It's quite stressful everytime waiting to receive a stone or sending it off for setting, but glow is too hard to tell from photos, I hope the video will provide more clues.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems|1459091797|4011684 said:
This is what I see on the phone, I think my phone setting must be a bit off, looks too saturated.
wow- this photo totally glows!!! :love:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Wow Lovinggems, this stone looks phenomenal! If it falls near any of these photos it seems to be a great stone...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results