shape
carat
color
clarity

Sweetie, can I get an opal pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I really like the new vendor photos!! Very very cool looking. I think I prefer the blue/gray opals. Hope you love it when you see it IRL!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It''s here!

I''m amazed by how much red there is in this stone. The colours are amazing. The shape is beautiful...but it looks so small in the little gem carton! (somehow I''ve seen posts like this before!). The colour is perfect on my skin, and so NOT like the whitish stone I had in my original pendant.

Will take it home tonight and play with the melee stones I''ve got to see. Mr. Ma Re is likely right, the 3mm stones I have will likely overpower it if I use too many.

What fun!

LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds just gorgeous, LS!! I can''t wait to see more pictures and how you end up setting it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Let''s have an update or a bit of a photo shoot Losty!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 10:26:56 AM
Author: Gailey
I''m at work! No camera!

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 11:27:04 AM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/5/2010 10:26:56 AM
I''m at work! No camera!

LS
No probs! We''ll wait until you get home, but you''re on the hook Losty, we''re watching this space!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got it! And you love it! Hope you''re charging your camera batteries!
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I was hoping there''d be pictures up already................hint.........hint!!!
41.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 8:28:45 PM
Here is the kind of shape I''d like. But not nearly as traditional. I''d even be open to something assymmetrical...modern....

LS
Do you have a linky for the site where you found this pendant. I''m drooling here
25.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 8:20:32 PM

Date: 2/17/2010 5:20:26 PM
You could dangle some tiny sapphire pears from each of the two ends of the lariat! Mr Losty won''t mind!

ooh how exciting...of course, Mr. Losty doesn''t mind anything, as long as I continue to mangle his smalls.
31.gif

LS
I must ask--what does this mean
9.gif
Best of luck with your opal project and feel better soon
emrose.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
nice opal, LS :)

really looking forward to seeing where you end up with this one.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I know you''re all waiting for pics but I am abysmal at opals! Sapphires, yep, can do that. But this opal, it''s almost impossible because the colour keeps changing as it moves.

It is an astounding colour, but much too small for a pendant (at least, the pendant I have in my minds'' eye).

I wanted to do a test drive of the Aussie opal vendors, because this is a new venture for me.

I''m going to keep this one, maybe put it on a chain for my Mom (her birthsone is opal as well as mine).

In the meantime, I''m looking at something much more substantial: 22mm x 16mm oval which would give me a much larger presence.....

Also, am rethinking the pear shape, as they seem to be few and far between. Then, I went back to my saved pics and dug up FlyGirls'' pendant which has always been my alltime favourite. I think with an oval, I can do something along these lines, and the melee stones I have won''t overpower the opal. I also have 2 x .35 ct rbs that could be incorporated into the pendant if I get this stone instead.

Here''s a pic of the opal. And I''ll dig up FlyGirl''s pendant too. Might do a call out to her to see what she thinks if I design something similar to this.

ok here goes: First, the opal: (so this would be just under 1" long)

LS

Foo323.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
This is FlyGirls'' pendant:

I have some extra RB''s that I think I could use. What do you think, of an opal as the main stone in something of this shape?

LS

Foo324.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here are all of the vendor pics:

The pic in the 2nd row, 2nd from left, makes it look as though this could be a 'doublet' ie: opal glued to another black backing. This is not the case, it's just the angle of the photo. There are 3 pics in here that are of the back of the stone, hence the difference in colouration. This is a solid opal, not a doublet or triplet.

what do you think?

LS

Foo327.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
And, vendor specs:

Untreated Cut Oval

Body tone N-3

Brightness [5 is brightest] 4.5
(Brilliance Scale: 1 Faint, 2 Dull, 3 Bright, 4 Very Bright, 5 Brilliant - Gem Quality)

Weight 7.40 cts approx

Size 22x16x6 mm approx

Opal Body Tone Scale as per recommendation by the Australian Opal and Gem Industry Association Ltd.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 1:26:33 PM
Author: risingsun

You could dangle some tiny sapphire pears from each of the two ends of the lariat! Mr Losty won't mind!

ooh how exciting...of course, Mr. Losty doesn't mind anything, as long as I continue to mangle his smalls.
31.gif

LS
9.gif
emrose.gif
Oh, Marian..it's not as naughty as it sounds!

It's an old thread regarding an Ironrite Mangle Iron. My most exciting appliance purchase of 2009!

Linky:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-iron-take-2-paging-canuck-gal.109502/
And, Gailey's reference to Mr. Losty's 'smalls' refer to his socks and undies!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 2:12:11 PM
Author: whitby_2773
nice opal, LS :)

really looking forward to seeing where you end up with this one.
HiYa Whitby. Couldja just pop on over to Lightening Ridge next month and pick the big one up for me?

LS

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 10:48:29 PM

Date: 3/6/2010 1:26:33 PM

You could dangle some tiny sapphire pears from each of the two ends of the lariat! Mr Losty won''t mind!

ooh how exciting...of course, Mr. Losty doesn''t mind anything, as long as I continue to mangle his smalls.
31.gif

LS
9.gif
emrose.gif
Oh, Marian..it''s not as naughty as it sounds!

It''s an old thread regarding an Ironrite Mangle Iron. My most exciting appliance purchase of 2009!

Linky:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-iron-take-2-paging-canuck-gal.109502/
And, Gailey''s reference to Mr. Losty''s ''smalls'' refer to his socks and undies!

LS
Thanks for the explanation and the linky. I haven''t laughed this hard in quite awhile
9.gif
It certainly sounded naughty
11.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Oh Losty it''s lovely. The pictures are even nicer than the first picture you posted. So are you going to actively search out another one? I bit the bullet this week and bought a piece of ammolite.

You should have kept Marian guessing on the mangle!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow LS, that opal just kinda knocks you in the face! I hope it''s big enough for you cuz it certainly is a gorgeous opal.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yowza, that is gorgeous! What a pretty stone. :D

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that is absolutely awesome LS. Hope you''re doing o.k., too.

Btw, I think you need to get some new gems, sometimes, as it will make you feel better.
2.gif

This one certainly will.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 1:59:09 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Oh, that is absolutely awesome LS. Hope you''re doing o.k., too.

Btw, I think you need to get some new gems, sometimes, as it will make you feel better.
2.gif

This one certainly will.
Thanks SC

I''m having a rough go with the Monster right now. So when all else fails, the tough go shopping.

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 12:46:37 PM
Author: Catmom
Oh wow LS, that opal just kinda knocks you in the face! I hope it''s big enough for you cuz it certainly is a gorgeous opal.
HiYa Michelle!

I sketched it out using the given dimensions and taped it to my chest. Yep, it''ll do!!! the colour is spectacular. I''ve asked the vendor for a few more pics before purchasing. This one is a lot more $$ than the first one so I want to be sure.

Too bad I can''t get Whitby to go and pick it up for me!

(how''s your arm doing, by the way? need to take a break from supporting the big blue on your finger?)

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 12:04:09 PM
Oh Losty it''s lovely. The pictures are even nicer than the first picture you posted. So are you going to actively search out another one? I bit the bullet this week and bought a piece of ammolite.

Gailey: have another look. The new pics are a different stone! It''s 22mm x 16mm so a lot bigger. The first stone is beautiful, but just too small.

Do you have a pic of the ammolite? What''s the plan for it?

LS

p.s. I couldn''t let Marian think the 2 of us were a couple of dirty-minded old broads!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 1:43:58 PM
Author: Largosmom
Yowza, that is gorgeous! What a pretty stone. :D
Thanks, LM.

Funny, the first stone looks far better IRL than in the photos. I''m hoping the same logic works for this one..can you imagine? The photos are amazing.

LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 2:09:57 PM

Date: 3/7/2010 12:46:37 PM
Author: Catmom
HiYa Michelle!

I sketched it out using the given dimensions and taped it to my chest. Yep, it''ll do!!! the colour is spectacular. I''ve asked the vendor for a few more pics before purchasing. This one is a lot more $$ than the first one so I want to be sure.

Too bad I can''t get Whitby to go and pick it up for me!

(how''s your arm doing, by the way? need to take a break from supporting the big blue on your finger?)

LS
Oh I''m so glad!!! You can''t let this one get away. That would be cool if whitby could pick it up. Maybe you could fly down and visit her and get it yourself?
31.gif

My arm is quite fine, thank you. Those hand weights help a lot!
9.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 2:12:02 PM

Date: 3/7/2010 12:04:09 PM

Gailey: have another look. The new pics are a different stone! It''s 22mm x 16mm so a lot bigger. The first stone is beautiful, but just too small.

Do you have a pic of the ammolite? What''s the plan for it?

LS

p.s. I couldn''t let Marian think the 2 of us were a couple of dirty-minded old broads!
How do you know that you changed my mind
3.gif
I''m so sorry that you are not feeling well. Come over to my thread and visit or bump yours up, please.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 8:01:44 PM
How do you know that you changed my mind
3.gif
I''m so sorry that you are not feeling well. Come over to my thread and visit or bump yours up, please.
Thanks Marian. How kind of you. I went over to my own thread to wallow. Didn''t want to threadjack yours. It hurts really bad
LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results