shape
carat
color
clarity

Sweetie, can I get an opal pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2010 9:47:19 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 2/17/2010 4:46:07 PM
Author: Catmom
Oooo I like the scatter idea. That could be really cool!!!! Can''t wait to see your drawings lol.

Ummmm, you know how I''ve always LOVED your sapphire ring...............well I may have my own version showing up sometime soon.
31.gif
It''s similar but my stone is oval and it''s split shank. It''s an early 30th anniversary/birthday present from hubby. I keep staring at your avatar..............
30.gif
*ahem* are you holding out on us? Where''s the pics? (linky please?!)

LS
Patience grasshopper..........
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 9:36:15 PM

need to see the scale/size of the opal relative to the diamonds
Yes, I think that''s your biggest issue when considering designs that include diamonds set very closely to the opal - they might easily overwhelm, cause they''re each almost half of the opals width in diameter.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 3:42:02 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 2/17/2010 9:36:15 PM

need to see the scale/size of the opal relative to the diamonds
Yes, I think that''s your biggest issue when considering designs that include diamonds set very closely to the opal - they might easily overwhelm, cause they''re each almost half of the opals width in diameter.
I agree

LS

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I may not love this particular opal, but I hope you aren''t offended and that it turns out to be a lovely one once you get it in hand.

I do love your taste in jewelry!
36.gif
I am looking forward to seeing more about your opal pendant designs. You''ve got me thinking about how I might set my opal.

Laura

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 8:05:17 PM
Author: Largosmom
I may not love this particular opal, but I hope you aren't offended and that it turns out to be a lovely one once you get it in hand.

I do love your taste in jewelry!
36.gif
I am looking forward to seeing more about your opal pendant designs. You've got me thinking about how I might set my opal.

Laura
Thank you Laura.
No offence taken! If I'd spent $5K I'd be second guessing myself. But this was just a few hundred $$. Worst case, I carry it around in my pocket for good luck
31.gif

LS

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
I''m thinking it will be lovely once you get it set...that is not a pocket stone, that is for sure!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 8:34:06 PM
9.gif
I''m thinking it will be lovely once you get it set...that is not a pocket stone, that is for sure!
31.gif

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 10:15:42 PM
Author: crasru
http://neshama.com/xcart/product.php?productid=136&cat=26&page=1

OK I found the designer. Avara Yaron from Neshama. Unfortunately I can not reproduce the copy of an opal pendant from the book I am reading but look at this pendant''s setting (especially the upper part) - he used the same one for the opal and it looked stunning. I am going to go browse more of his stuff; he is truly one-of-a kind. When you are browsing Neshama don''t get into their zipband video - it is not jewelry.

http://www.neshama.com/xcart/product.php?productid=155&cat=22&page=3

Ah! This is more like it. He uses the same type of gold granulation around an opal. Perhaps this could give you some ideas.
Sorry Crasru, I missed your post last night! These look really interesting. I''m going to print some of them off and see how they feel to me in the morning!

thank you.
LS

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I was browsing at my favorite local jewelry store today and spotted an opal with an amazing resemblance to yours. I think I will have to eat my words about the "gray"...the one at the jewelry store had a distinct overtone of blue to the gray and it also had the pinky/red flash threaded through it...very pretty!

Laura

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 10:08:36 PM
I was browsing at my favorite local jewelry store today and spotted an opal with an amazing resemblance to yours. I think I will have to eat my words about the ''gray''...the one at the jewelry store had a distinct overtone of blue to the gray and it also had the pinky/red flash threaded through it...very pretty!

Laura
woo hoo! That sounds promising!

I''m anxious to see what it looks like in person.

Thanks!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here are the rest of the vendor pics. I don't know what size they're going to come in as..so here goes:
LS

ETA: of course, the nasty picture download faeries have decided to intervene. I'll keep trying.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2010 10:59:44 PM
Here are the rest of the vendor pics. I don''t know what size they''re going to come in as..so here goes:
LS

ETA: of course, the nasty picture download faeries have decided to intervene. I''ll keep trying.
Are these the same faeries that helped you with the sapphire ring? Faeries can be very kind...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2010 1:28:20 AM
Author: crasru

Date: 2/20/2010 10:59:44 PM
Here are the rest of the vendor pics. I don't know what size they're going to come in as..so here goes:
LS

ETA: of course, the nasty picture download faeries have decided to intervene. I'll keep trying.
Are these the same faeries that helped you with the sapphire ring? Faeries can be very kind...
I don't know..there are good faeries and wicked faeries. Let me try this again!

36.gif
YIPPEEE it worked!

LS

Foo320.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely Losty!

When do you expect it to arrive?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gailey.
I''ve e-mailed the Aussie''s. Would have liked to have seen a shipping e-mail by now...like I said, I didn''t spend the mortgage on this one, ''cause you never know with a new vendor.

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2010 10:09:55 AM
Author: Gailey
Looks lovely Losty!

When do you expect it to arrive?
It shipped on the 18th.

LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a gorgeous stone LS!! I can''t wait to see what you think of it when it arrives.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Michelle

If it''s close to the photos, I''ll be good with it. But if it''s really grey/blue, meh.

LS

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t read the posts above so no idea of what''s been said because I saw your photo and JUST HAD TO POST!

That amount of red in an opal is considered to be very very very good. It''s gorgeous!

In terms of a pendant and using your diamonds how about you turn the opal so it''s point facing up and then have your diamonds in a triangle arrangement above it - with the single diamond at the bottom end so the point of the opal meets the point of the diamonds?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
As in an hourglass like shape?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Chrono but of course with the diamond triangle smaller than the Opal. The longest edge (top) of the diamond triangle would also act as a bale so the chain threads through it from one side to the other so it would hold the pendant securely and resist flipping.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi losty :)

i know this isnt what you've said you're after,but i saw this the other day on a vendor's web site and thought it was SO different to the typical opal pendant that it was worth showing it to you. i rarely like opals in jewelry because they're normally done so badly. but i thought this one was all class, and it reminded me of you.

just thought it might have some design elements you'd like to work in.

hope all is well with you, my friend - been thinking of you (clearly!)

xo

D Atlas and Co.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo that''s pretty Whitby!

I''ll be watching to see what you do LS-I''m still trying to figure out what to do w/my opal.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 7:05:44 AM
Author: whitby_2773
hi losty :)

i know this isnt what you''ve said you''re after,but i saw this the other day on a vendor''s web site and thought it was SO different to the typical opal pendant that it was worth showing it to you. i rarely like opals in jewelry because they''re normally done so badly. but i thought this one was all class, and it reminded me of you.

just thought it might have some design elements you''d like to work in.

hope all is well with you, my friend - been thinking of you (clearly!)

xo
*d*mn* ate my post. Let me try this again.

Hi Whitby!

Thanks for the pic! You''re not going to believe this, but that pendant is almost the same as my original (which was stolen from the house while we were visiting OZ no less!). Mine had less finial thingies on the ends and sides than this one, but other than that, very close. It was made for me soon after we were married....

I debated with myself whether the new pendant should be similar to the old one. But my neck is feelin'' the need for a new shape..hence the pear of this stone. Will have to see it in person though. Plus, I''d like to use the melee stones if possible.

Hope you''re enjoying the sunshine. Here in Canuck Land we''re in the middle of a snowstorm so I''ve latched the windows and turned up the heat for the night.

Thanks for the call out.

(love your new wedding band, by the way)

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2010 4:35:15 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Yes Chrono but of course with the diamond triangle smaller than the Opal. The longest edge (top) of the diamond triangle would also act as a bale so the chain threads through it from one side to the other so it would hold the pendant securely and resist flipping.
LD, we''re on about the same page. That''s another option I''m considering...have to see the stone though, which is in transit. Should be here in about a week.

Thanks!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 7:44:13 PM
Author: packrat
Ooo that's pretty Whitby!

I'll be watching to see what you do LS-I'm still trying to figure out what to do w/my opal.
Thanks packrat. Did you buy one for a ring or a pendant?
...off to search for your thread. There is one, yes?

ETA: help me find it! I love pictures!

LS

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi Losty - i'm glad you found this post :)

funny re the similarity of my picture and your original pendant! i guess great minds etc

i've been thinking...i can imagine your diamonds used with the opal in a way which elongates the shape and gives an impression of water dripping off the end of stone. if the diamonds were set in 3 rows, in a 3/2/1 pattern, it could look like droplets of water tapering off the end of the stone - especially if the first row was the same width (more or less) as the stone. the top end could be 2 rows of 1/2, where the longer row joined the stone - so it sort of gave an inverse reflection of the diamonds on the bottom. it would also give a more individual shape to the whole pendant and perhaps make it more eye catching.

just a thought, but i figure if you're gonna do it, you may as well go all out. besides, one day this pendant *will* be worn with the blueberry, so it had better be good! :)

and thank you for your kind comments on my new wedding ring thread - i haven't even seen it yet, but i'm lovin' it big time!

i want to ask you how you are, but i know this isn't the place for it. do you have a who's who thread? if not - can i start one for you so i can keep up to date with you that way? it's easier and a little more private than feeling like your shiz is open to all in hangout....

anyway, will be really curious to see where you go with this project :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 8:54:58 PM
Author: whitby_2773
hi Losty - i'm glad you found this post :)

funny re the similarity of my picture and your original pendant! i guess great minds etc

i've been thinking...i can imagine your diamonds used with the opal in a way which elongates the shape and gives an impression of water dripping off the end of stone. if the diamonds were set in 3 rows, in a 3/2/1 pattern, it could look like droplets of water tapering off the end of the stone - especially if the first row was the same width (more or less) as the stone. the top end could be 2 rows of 1/2, where the longer row joined the stone - so it sort of gave an inverse reflection of the diamonds on the bottom. it would also give a more individual shape to the whole pendant and perhaps make it more eye catching.

just a thought, but i figure if you're gonna do it, you may as well go all out. besides, one day this pendant *will* be worn with the blueberry, so it had better be good! :)

and thank you for your kind comments on my new wedding ring thread - i haven't even seen it yet, but i'm lovin' it big time!

i want to ask you how you are, but i know this isn't the place for it. do you have a who's who thread? if not - can i start one for you so i can keep up to date with you that way? it's easier and a little more private than feeling like your shiz is open to all in hangout....

anyway, will be really curious to see where you go with this project :)
Thanks Whitby

I can't handle a who's who thread..there was one started a while back but I didnt' feel comfortable. There is something in hangout 'calling lost sapphire', the search brings it up. It comes up to the top every once in a while, it's just about how I'm feeling/how's the Monster, etc. versus my life story, y anno? You're welcome to go there is you like. I think it was last active 3-4 weeks ago.

I'm having a lot of pain these days. Shopping helps.

LS

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS, this is it. From about a year ago. My gramma gave me the opal last year-my grampa mined it and cut it, so it''s pretty special to me!

opal thread

I have a fire opal pendant too, that''s kinda swirly like the one Ma Re just posted. If I get a sec I''ll try and take a picture of it. It''s a round tho, not a pear..good for ideas tho eh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results