shape
carat
color
clarity

Sweetie, can I get an opal pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi everybody.

I'm bored. So I've been thinking about an opal pendant. October is my birth month, and years ago I had a pendant that was stolen.

Everything I look at here at home is made with those white opals. I like them a little more colourful. But I'm hesitant to sink a lot of $$ online until I know who I'm dealing with.

Here's what I just bought. I searched for shape in particular, as I'd like to use this as a pendant (wide side at the bottom) with maybe some transitional diamonds at the top/tip with something going above that. I have a pic of a general shape, will post that in a minute).

Stone is 11 x 7 x 3mm

Ideas? I have 10 x 3mm diamonds that can be used with this (NO I don't want a halo, but something with diamond accents where the chain meets the top of the stone).

I'm open to suggestion. Worst case, I'm out a few hundred $$ and it will sit in my dresser drawer if the stone is awful.

Thanks.

LS

ETA: specs from the webpage:
Item Type: NATURAL BLACK OPAL
Origin: LIGHTNING RIDGE
Size: 11 X 7 X 3 MM
Treated/Untreated: UNTREATED
Setting:
6 mm = 1/4 inch (Approx)

Weight(Carats): 1.85CT
Colour: FIREY RED FIREY IN THIS STONE
Pattern: BROAD FLASH
Number of pieces: 1
Brightness Rating 1-5 4.4

Foo310.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here is the kind of shape I'd like. But not nearly as traditional. I'd even be open to something assymmetrical...modern....

LS

Foo311.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I love opal, and this one has some nice fire, but the gray isn''t doing much for me. Of course, I''m not much of an expert...more of a "I know what I like" person. I like the inspiration piece...bit busy but the shape/idea is nice.

Laura

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well, let''s see if I can find you a few links to look at:

Unique Opals Loadsa dosh, but nice eye candy.

Dancing Designs Jewellery I''m not a big pendant kind of gal, but I sure as heck like the pendants that this company turns out.

Art Cut Gems Rick is incredibly knowledgeable about opals. Certainly a man worth talking to.

Pernilla Recently made a beautiful ring for Lisa Elser. Located in Vancouver.

Rudy Peet Very talented goldsmith out of Canmore, AB.

Whitby is currently in the land of opals. Perhaps she will see this thread and be able to offer some advice about picking out an opal.

If I see anything else, I will let you know.

Meanwhile, how are you feeling?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gailey

Wicked Kewl pendants in those websites. thanks!

I''ve spent a fair bit of time in the shops in OZ looking at the usual tourist trade-opals
14.gif
But I know there''s something out there for me. I bought the one posted because it wasn''t a ton of $$ and I want to see what the dealer''s customer service was like. Who knows, I might like it.

The darkest black opals look awful against my skin (you know, that british white-blue hue?!). So the ones slightly lower on the darkness scale suit me better.

In the meantime, I''ll surf your websites. And yes, I''d like to get it made here in Canuck land.

How do I feel? meh.....

LS

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh it looks pretty from the picture. I've been on a general hunt lately for a nice opal for my mom. I can't wait to see more pics of your stone!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 9:35:26 PM
Author: onvacation
Ooh it looks pretty from the picture. I''ve been on a general hunt lately for a nice opal for my mom. I can''t wait to see more pics of your stone!
Thanks, onvacation. It''s really hard, isn''t it? There is SO MUCH variation in colour! Makes me nuts!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 8:37:00 PM
Author: Largosmom
Hi, I love opal, and this one has some nice fire, but the gray isn''t doing much for me. Of course, I''m not much of an expert...more of a ''I know what I like'' person. I like the inspiration piece...bit busy but the shape/idea is nice.

Laura
I''m hoping it''s more blue than gray. The other pics were very blue with greens/pinks/reds. Which is where I''m trying to go.

The shape of the inspiration piece is getting me started..Gailey''s websites had some really neat stuff. The more I see, the more I''m thinking a very simple, modern piece with similar lines to the the inspiration pic.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean. Apart from my jeans and some fakey sapphire earrings that I needed to wear with a blue dress I borrowed for a ball, I have nothing in blue. Terrible colour for me.

I''m sorry you''re not feeling great, sounds like you need and deserve a project to cheer you up!

BTW, I know you mentioned Opal because it''s your birthstone, but have you considered our native Ammolite?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 9:45:29 PM
Author: Gailey
I know what you mean. Apart from my jeans and some fakey sapphire earrings that I needed to wear with a blue dress I borrowed for a ball, I have nothing in blue. Terrible colour for me.

I''m sorry you''re not feeling great, sounds like you need and deserve a project to cheer you up!

BTW, I know you mentioned Opal because it''s your birthstone, but have you considered our native Ammolite?
hmmm, not really a fan. Too *something* for me. Almost like the very high end black opals, the colours are too strong on me.

I''m feeling alright. No prize but I''ve still got the energy to mangle.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 9:48:49 PM
Author: LostSapphire

hmmm, not really a fan. Too *something* for me. Almost like the very high end black opals, the colours are too strong on me.

LS
Marvellous news. All is not "lost" then! Sorry, terrible pun.

Mangling must be good for the soul. Imagine how many readers are scratching their heads right now!

I was never a fan of Ammolite either. Too much cheap airport pendants put me off. But occasionally, I see a nice piece and I think differently. I think there is an Ammolite pendant in the 2nd link I posted.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 9:58:02 PM

Date: 2/16/2010 9:48:49 PM

LS
Marvellous news. All is not ''lost'' then! Sorry, terrible pun.

Mangling must be good for the soul. Imagine how many readers are scratching their heads right now!

I was never a fan of Ammolite either. Too much cheap airport pendants put me off. But occasionally, I see a nice piece and I think differently. I think there is an Ammolite pendant in the 2nd link I posted.
That''s exactly how I feel about most opals. I''ve had them in various permutations my whole life, and have yet to see one I LOVED. Saw so many in OZ that didn''t speak to me. Even now, when I look online, most don''t do it but this one did, for some reason. There was one other that I loved but it was $12k and somehow I doubt I could talk sweet DH into that one...even if I DO mangle his smalls for another month!

So I''m trying again. The search will be fun, and in the meantime, I''ve satisfied my nightly urge to shop online!

Off to bed. nighty night.

LS

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since you''d like an assymmetrical design, the first thing that comes to my mind is a Y necklace with two chains instead of one, one of them suspending your opal, the other one suspending a pear shaped pave pendant done with your diamonds. Sounds interesting? Just make sure the two chains are not the same lenght, not just because you want to lose the symmetry, but also to protect the opal from being banged by the other pendant (so I''d make the chain with the opal longer).

Or you can create a lariat necklace, where opal would obviously go through a loop on the other end. The loop itself would be where the diamonds are set, and it''s shape can be whatever you''d like, round, oval, heart etc.

I''ll let you know if I come up with some more ideas.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 4:05:49 AM
Author: ma re
Since you''d like an assymmetrical design, the first thing that comes to my mind is a Y necklace with two chains instead of one, one of them suspending your opal, the other one suspending a pear shaped pave pendant done with your diamonds. Sounds interesting? Just make sure the two chains are not the same lenght, not just because you want to lose the symmetry, but also to protect the opal from being banged by the other pendant (so I''d make the chain with the opal longer).

Or you can create a lariat necklace, where opal would obviously go through a loop on the other end. The loop itself would be where the diamonds are set, and it''s shape can be whatever you''d like, round, oval, heart etc.

Thank you, Mr. Ma Re

That''s a great idea!

LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS, first of all it''s so nice to see you posting again!!! I love your new project as I love black opals. They are soooo beautiful. I like your ideas for a pendant. I have a similar one with a pearl at the top but I could easily see it with diamonds there instead. What about a simple drop style with your two diamonds bezeled at the top, one on top of each other? LOL, if that even makes sense to you.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS, I have to check at my office. The jeweler has an unusual name, starts with Y. He made an opal pendants, with 2-3 opals, but what is important, the shape was like yours. Not sure that I can reproduce the photograph but the setting in YG is very modern. Might give you some ideas. Swear, I shall stop by my office around 4 pm and email you his name, so that you can browse it onlne. The name is ususual but short, either Jewish or Middle Eastern, maybe someone will remember it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Does anyone know if I can post approximate drawing since the picture is not reproducible? Is it considered copyright?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 1:07:53 PM
Author: crasru
LS, I have to check at my office. The jeweler has an unusual name, starts with Y. He made an opal pendants, with 2-3 opals, but what is important, the shape was like yours. Not sure that I can reproduce the photograph but the setting in YG is very modern. Might give you some ideas. Swear, I shall stop by my office around 4 pm and email you his name, so that you can browse it onlne. The name is ususual but short, either Jewish or Middle Eastern, maybe someone will remember it.
WoW, thanks!
LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 10:22:37 AM
Author: Catmom
LS, first of all it's so nice to see you posting again!!! I love your new project as I love black opals. They are soooo beautiful. I like your ideas for a pendant. I have a similar one with a pearl at the top but I could easily see it with diamonds there instead. What about a simple drop style with your two diamonds bezeled at the top, one on top of each other? LOL, if that even makes sense to you.

HiYa Michelle
35.gif

I like your idea, was almost wondering if I could do an inverted pear (ie: the pointy ends of the opal and diamond meet) and then 2 RB's on either side to soften the transition.

The other idea I had was to take some of my 10x3mm stones and have them laid out in a scatter pattern just at the top of the pear...like as if they had fallen on top of it, KWIM?

I'll have to get my sketchpad out to play around with shapes.

LS

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2010 4:32:16 PM

Date: 2/17/2010 10:22:37 AM
LS, first of all it''s so nice to see you posting again!!! I love your new project as I love black opals. They are soooo beautiful. I like your ideas for a pendant. I have a similar one with a pearl at the top but I could easily see it with diamonds there instead. What about a simple drop style with your two diamonds bezeled at the top, one on top of each other? LOL, if that even makes sense to you.

HiYa Michelle
35.gif

I like your idea, was almost wondering if I could do an inverted pear (ie: the pointy ends of the opala nd diamond meet) and then 2 RB''s on either side to soften the transition.

The other idea I had was to take some of my 10x3mm stones and have them laid out in a scatter pattern just at the top of the pear...like as if they had fallen on top of it, KWIM?

I''ll have to get my sketchpad out to play around with shapes.

LS
Oooo I like the scatter idea. That could be really cool!!!! Can''t wait to see your drawings lol.

Ummmm, you know how I''ve always LOVED your sapphire ring...............well I may have my own version showing up sometime soon.
31.gif
It''s similar but my stone is oval and it''s split shank. It''s an early 30th anniversary/birthday present from hubby. I keep staring at your avatar..............
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey LS,
What a fun project. I adore Opals. This weekend, I went to the jewelry show. There is a vendor that is from CA who cuts the opals himself, he''s a master craftsman. I have always drooled over his opals. His are the prettiest I have ever seen.

I bought a ring, and earrings. They are blue green, with tons of fire, oh they are gorgeous.

Tong''s Jewelry Co.

Eric Tong

San Fransico CA

415-336-7188

He had some amazing pendants just like the one you posted. It could be it''s twin.

He doesn''t have a website. They are older and don''t go for the whole internet thing... They are Chinese and just the loveliest couple.

He could email you a pic. I know he does that a lot.

He showed me some pieces he made for Customers that travel to the show just for him, and the earrings he made for this lady?? To DIE for gorgeous, and I don''t say that often....

As jewelry shows go, I don''t love most of the vendors. Many sell sub par stones and jewelry.

But Eric, he''s the true Gem of the show..

He goes to Australia buys the rough, then cuts it back in CA.

Good luck. I can''t wait to see what you end up with.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 9:10:54 AM

Date: 2/17/2010 4:05:49 AM
Author: ma re

Thank you, Mr. Ma Re

That''s a great idea!

LS
You could dangle some tiny sapphire pears from each of the two ends of the lariat! Mr Losty won''t mind!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the necklace design you posted. Opals are very pretty.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 5:20:26 PM
You could dangle some tiny sapphire pears from each of the two ends of the lariat! Mr Losty won''t mind!

ooh how exciting...of course, Mr. Losty doesn''t mind anything, as long as I continue to mangle his smalls.
31.gif

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
So, here's an idea of the scattered stones thing I'm thinking of.

These 2 pics are rotated 180 deg so ignore the chain and pendant. The diamond melee layout is what I like. If you can imagine these stones (probably 10) sitting atop the pointy end of the opal, then a chain somehow feeding through them.

I kind of like the organic feel of it....but of course, it's early in the game.

Opinions? (I have 10 x 3mm rb's available to use from a channel set eternity band) I think 10 would be sufficient, need to see the scale/size of the opal relative to the diamonds.

That's option #1.
Option #2 would be a lariat kind of thing which I really like also....working on it.

LS

Foo313.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 4:55:32 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Hey LS,
What a fun project. I adore Opals. This weekend, I went to the jewelry show. There is a vendor that is from CA who cuts the opals himself, he''s a master craftsman. I have always drooled over his opals. His are the prettiest I have ever seen.

I bought a ring, and earrings. They are blue green, with tons of fire, oh they are gorgeous.

Tong''s Jewelry Co.

Eric Tong

San Fransico CA

415-336-7188

He had some amazing pendants just like the one you posted. It could be it''s twin.

He doesn''t have a website. They are older and don''t go for the whole internet thing... They are Chinese and just the loveliest couple.

He could email you a pic. I know he does that a lot.

He showed me some pieces he made for Customers that travel to the show just for him, and the earrings he made for this lady?? To DIE for gorgeous, and I don''t say that often....

As jewelry shows go, I don''t love most of the vendors. Many sell sub par stones and jewelry.

But Eric, he''s the true Gem of the show..

He goes to Australia buys the rough, then cuts it back in CA.

Good luck. I can''t wait to see what you end up with.
Thanks Kaleigh. I''d LOVE to see what you bought!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 4:46:07 PM
Oooo I like the scatter idea. That could be really cool!!!! Can''t wait to see your drawings lol.

Ummmm, you know how I''ve always LOVED your sapphire ring...............well I may have my own version showing up sometime soon.
31.gif
It''s similar but my stone is oval and it''s split shank. It''s an early 30th anniversary/birthday present from hubby. I keep staring at your avatar..............
30.gif
*ahem* are you holding out on us? Where''s the pics? (linky please?!)

LS

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://neshama.com/xcart/product.php?productid=136&cat=26&page=1

OK I found the designer. Avara Yaron from Neshama. Unfortunately I can not reproduce the copy of an opal pendant from the book I am reading but look at this pendant's setting (especially the upper part) - he used the same one for the opal and it looked stunning. I am going to go browse more of his stuff; he is truly one-of-a kind. When you are browsing Neshama don't get into their zipband video - it is not jewelry.

http://www.neshama.com/xcart/product.php?productid=155&cat=22&page=3

Ah! This is more like it. He uses the same type of gold granulation around an opal. Perhaps this could give you some ideas.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.shopwiki.com/Opal+Jewelry?&page=2

Now this one is very simple but shopwiki.com has all types of opal jewelry, from cheapest to most expensive.
Paul Downing published a book on cutting and setting opals (you can find it in Amazon.com). I probably can not reproduce his photograph of an opal pendant but it is simple and quite elegant. The book is inexpensive and worth reading especially since he comes from Colorado

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 9:36:15 PM
So, here''s an idea of the scattered stones thing I''m thinking of.

These 2 pics are rotated 180 deg so ignore the chain and pendant. The diamond melee layout is what I like. If you can imagine these stones (probably 10) sitting atop the pointy end of the opal, then a chain somehow feeding through them.

I kind of like the organic feel of it....but of course, it''s early in the game.

Opinions? (I have 10 x 3mm rb''s available to use from a channel set eternity band) I think 10 would be sufficient, need to see the scale/size of the opal relative to the diamonds.

That''s option #1.
Option #2 would be a lariat kind of thing which I really like also....working on it.

LS
Like the one on the right more than the one on the left Losty.

If you considered the lariat idea, which way would you orient the opal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results